Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Weirdo posted:

What happened to Rackham? I've gathered they flared out quickly, but is there more to it than that?

IIRC they weren't doing so great so they switched over to pre-painted models, which only made them go bankrupt that much quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Weirdo posted:

Speaking of, does anyone here recommend his painting book? I'm considering picking it up at Gencon but just wanted to hear from anyone who has it now.

I have it, I like it, loads of step by step examples of many different kinds of models (all Infinity of course).

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Weirdo posted:

Speaking of, does anyone here recommend his painting book? I'm considering picking it up at Gencon but just wanted to hear from anyone who has it now.

I felt like it was a little disappointing because it doesn't go into a whole lot of detail on technique. It's essentially an elongated version of a lot of the painting guides you'll find with miniature wargames out there that amount to just showing a photo of each layer of paint that's applied with basically no writing or commentary beyond "next I applied a lighter layer of brown." He basically gives a couple pages on basic stuff like washing, drybrushing, and general shading stuff and the rest of it is more or less a gallery rather than something that'll improve your fundamentals. Also, yeah, as someone who only uses regular brushes there was an unfortunate amount of "mask it off and hit it with an airbrush to get this nice gradient" on a lot of the models.

It's certainly not a bad book, but I think I just personally grabbed it sight unseen and assumed it would be more text heavy or lecture-like and less paint by numbers than it was, which is my own fault.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

ijyt posted:

Man, I remember people laughing at GW's display paintjobs not being amazing, but I think there's a good idea to that. I can't stop comparing my lovely Infinity to the amazing box art. I trtied to push through with the first mini but it's gone so wrong that I'm just going to strip and build again. It's so disheartening.

I can appreciate it because it's something that new painters can aspire to fairly quickly. It still looks all right, and they won't feel bad about putting something of similar quality on the table. I'd love to see them put out more stuff on advanced techniques rather than just edge highlights and drybrushing, but the internet does kind of fill that niche now for people ready to jump to the next level.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yup. I agree, and I'm probably being more dramatic than I should be. Anyway, all stripped and am I right to assume the super glue bonds have been weakened? Some things with smaller contact points fell off, but larger pieces held strong. The active ingredient I used to strip was Polyacrylic Acid.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Weirdo posted:

If you want an idea of what the content is like, see here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.756162454444664.1073742021.436491416411771

That's his Operation Icestorm tutorial and the guides in the book are fairly similar. There's definitely an assumption that you already know and can apply the basics - and that you have an airbrush handy.

I still found it helpful, especially since I was coming back from a long break, but it definitely doesn't contain anything groundbreaking (and he provides a lot of tutorial material for free anyway).

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Good stuff, I might hold off on the purchase for now, or maybe just look around at basic airbrush tutorials.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ijyt posted:

Man, I remember people laughing at GW's display paintjobs not being amazing, but I think there's a good idea to that. I can't stop comparing my lovely Infinity to the amazing box art. I trtied to push through with the first mini but it's gone so wrong that I'm just going to strip and build again. It's so disheartening.

Dont. Leave it finished, move on to the next one. If you still hate it after you've done all of them then strip and repaint.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

Dont. Leave it finished, move on to the next one. If you still hate it after you've done all of them then strip and repaint.

Quoted for truth. If you get yourself stuck in that "paint, strip, repaint" loop, it will be so hard get out. Take it from someone who has been there - I've done everything at least twice, and some things are waiting for their third go around... It's miserable.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

As much as I hate to admit it, it's true. At least you'll have a playable force with a mediocre paintjob instead of an army in gleaming thrice-stripped pewter.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Don't need to finish the straps to see the armour is a mess, if I didn't enjoy painting one miniature in white I won't enjoy the other 11. Anyway, the paint scheme was a friends idea so I wasn't really all that into it.

e: Like I appreciate the sentiment but it sounds like a waste of my time.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Has anyone used Vallejo inks over silver to make coloured metallics? I'm thinking of trying it out as a non-airbrush-alternative to the Forgeworld Alpha Legion scheme.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

w00tmonger posted:

I've been doing my zenithal black to grey to white, but would it work just doing grey to white? I have some flying models and am worried that they're going to look a bit crap from the bottom given how vibrant I want to paint them

I did that for my Oath this month. Having a lighter base tone is usually better for a lighter color scheme; you can still get pretty good contrast with a grey shadow tone as opposed to black.

e: holy eye candy page 59

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Has anyone used Vallejo inks over silver to make coloured metallics? I'm thinking of trying it out as a non-airbrush-alternative to the Forgeworld Alpha Legion scheme.

Grab Vallejo Moral Air Steel (71.065). It's very strongly metallic and has very fine pigment, so if you want to make something like green/blue/purple metallics it works awesome.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ijyt posted:

Man, I just don't understand how you manage blends like that without an airbrush, stellar as always.

Thanks! It's actually become a lot more difficult. For whatever reason, the latest batches of paints that I've picked up have been very difficult to work with and leads to more paint involved in the blending. It's starting to become frustrating and sometimes leads to really thick/lovely blends as happened on one or two of my recent bikes. :(

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Sydney Bottocks posted:

More details, please! Right now I mainly rely on the Army Painter inks for washes, but I'm always interested in potentially adding new weapons to my painting arsenal. :)

E: I see that Amazon has a set of the High Flow transparent acrylics for $30, so I might just grab that when I get my next paycheck. But yeah, any tips on using 'em would be appreciated greatly. :tipshat:

The one I've used the most is transparent shading grey. It goes on very very shiny and it dries differently than a lot of miniatures paints, basically it will dry to the point where you cant move it very quickly but it will remain slightly tacky where you could, for instance, leave a fingerprint in it. You can usually find them for somewhere in the 5-6 dollar range for huge bottles, but just like the old GW ink or washes made with Future you need to use matte varnish on top of it to make it look good.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Grab Vallejo Moral Air Steel (71.065). It's very strongly metallic and has very fine pigment, so if you want to make something like green/blue/purple metallics it works awesome.

To be honest I'm not sure I want a super bright finish. I also don't want to buy more than I have to, my pot of Runefang Steel is still in good condition.

EDIT: also I said NON airbrush :v:

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 7, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

To be honest I'm not sure I want a super bright finish. I also don't want to buy more than I have to, my pot of Runefang Steel is still in good condition.

It's not super bright, the point of bright metallic is so you have the shine when it inevitably gets dulled down by the paint you mix with it.

EDIT: and it goes well brushed on :v:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Pierzak posted:

It's not super bright, the point of bright metallic is so you have the shine when it inevitably gets dulled down by the paint you mix with it.

EDIT: and it goes well brushed on :v:

Oh, I was thinking of using the inks as glazes rather than mixing them directly with the silver.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I brushed on the Vallejo Model Air Metallic silver and brass and put some colored ink mixed with iridescent medium on the war jacks here (silver/green on left, brass/red on right. The dude in the middle is just the Model air Metallic Brass I think). It looks like kind of unearthly colored shiny metal - better in person than in the pic. I used 3 or 4 layers of ink over the top but if you wanted a lighter hint of color you could easily do fewer.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Oh, I was thinking of using the inks as glazes rather than mixing them directly with the silver.

Not inks. Paint. I made pretty blue metal using Steel + Imperial Blue + Turquoise.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

head58 posted:

I brushed on the Vallejo Model Air Metallic silver and brass and put some colored ink mixed with iridescent medium on the war jacks here (silver/green on left, brass/red on right. The dude in the middle is just the Model air Metallic Brass I think). It looks like kind of unearthly colored shiny metal - better in person than in the pic. I used 3 or 4 layers of ink over the top but if you wanted a lighter hint of color you could easily do fewer.

That's called a candy coat - silver underlayer with transparent shade on top. I think it was from blinging out cars but I've seen people do it on gundams as well.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

EDIT: also I said NON airbrush :v:

VMA Steel is like the best silver out there and goes on with a brush just fine. Grab it, you won't be disappointed.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Box art has two effects: inspiring people with how neato it looks and inspiring new painters/players to think their attempts are poo poo.

I got tired of painting, I just wanted a painted army, so I did up some Dark Eldar years ago just to get it done and on the table so I could play games (one of the appealing aspects of X-Wing and other pre-painted games). This is both to show how an experienced painter can fart out some tabletop quality stuff and to show that Purple Power is not the same as Simple Green. The results surprised me:

About 20 hours dunked, nothing but the hair came off (completely vanished, no scrubbing). I even rubbed it with my thumb to see if paint was loose.

I rinsed it in 91% isopropyl alcohol-- this was entirely to dry-off the model and get the Purple off it-- other paint came off. I have absolutely no idea what caused this or why, I am a dunce when it comes to chemistry. I scrubbed it with an old toothbrush and got this:

It's like it's partially highlighted now. The basing material came off but that's typical since I used white glue. Pardon me for not photographing the base, it was black rimmed before the scrubbing, that's down to the white base coat now.

Purple Power: mysterious Fantastic 4 properties (use Simple Green, do that instead)

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Don't use purple power or simple green.

Use Super Clean.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Master Twig posted:

Don't use purple power or simple green.

Use Super Clean.

Truth. I just pulled a poo poo ton of minis out of 'the drink' as we like to call it and some had been there for 8 months. Paint came off, glued pieces separated, poo poo is like brand new and I'm not seeing any floppy or limp parts. I'm running the batch through a sonic cleaner and I've got a FW Chaplain Dreadnought down to the bare resin.

However, I've got some Eldar Falcons that I think were primed with that Krylon Fusion poo poo and gently caress everyone who does that. Those Falcons are now black until the end of time and I want to paint them red.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Just use Denatured Ethanol or isopropyl. just don't ever use it for resin based models, it'll make them become rubber! (the stuff in simple green that strips paint is Ethoxylated Alcohol)

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I'm still learning to paint (and also taking photos of models). These are the first models I've tried adding highlights to. Apart from the bases, I would consider these table top ready. I possibly need to pick up a better brush though. Photos seem to highlight a multitude of sins.

Not-Typhus in my renegade chapter's colours

Brandus Rus, Leader of the Blue Meanies Cult.

Feedback and pointers welcome - I know I've got a long way to go, but that's the pleasure of learning something new. Can't wait for them to get instagibbed in their next battle.

mentos
Apr 14, 2008

The Freshmaker!
Banged out this Vostroyan Rocket launcher guy in about a day, after realizing my original battalion box didn't come with a mortar and I had to buy the Cadian HW frame. Good thing, because since I have used a bunch of Lascannon gunners as pilots for my Chimeras and sentinels I ended up with a bunch of these binocular guys lying around.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That's a solid little conversion. Nice paint too. I dig the use of the little skull decal on the warhead.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Does anyone have any good advice for creating a sort of worn road line effect? I'm looking at making a landing pad terrain piece and I'd like the surface of it to look like when the yellow lines on a road have seen some wear and tear but are still clearly visible. If anyone knows how to get just that shade of yellow too I'd be grateful.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I can't help you with the color, but you can get that worn effect by sponging on the paint. Tape off the "clean" asphalt and sponge away - it will look awesome.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

I can't help you with the color, but you can get that worn effect by sponging on the paint. Tape off the "clean" asphalt and sponge away - it will look awesome.

Alternatively: spray everything black, paint yellow/white markings, sponge everything with RMS Noir Black or equivalent (it's a very dark graphite color, direct highlight for pure black).

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Hmm. Interesting options, both of them. I have a spare piece of material I can test both on and see which one I like. Thanks! As for the color, Rustoleum gives traffic line paintcolor as RGB 243:188:062 (hex F3BC3E), which will give me something to do today as 90% of my workload seems to be overseeing automated processes.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Another option, if you're willing to go through the effort, is the ol' hairspray chipping method.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

How well does Vallejo Game Air work with brushes?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Partial Octopus posted:

I've had good luck with it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Partial Octopus posted:

Fantastically.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

PantsOptional posted:

Does anyone have any good advice for creating a sort of worn road line effect? I'm looking at making a landing pad terrain piece and I'd like the surface of it to look like when the yellow lines on a road have seen some wear and tear but are still clearly visible. If anyone knows how to get just that shade of yellow too I'd be grateful.

Here you go, salt weathering tutorial on the deadzone terrain. It specifically deals with yellow lines:

http://whiteswolves.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/deadzone-terrain-speed-painting-guide.html?m=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Does anyone have any tips for making your own DIY texture paints? Like the mud stuff GW sells?

I figure I have paint, sand and pva glue; I could probably just mix it up myself right???