Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So... I found a demon altar.

Could only summon Eye of Cthulhu. However, I'd get wrecked due to being in just full Boreal Wood and armed with a Hurtful Spear(Spear with +12% damage) and a plain Sickle. There some point where I could start attempting a normal Eye?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:

widespread posted:

Could only summon Eye of Cthulhu. However, I'd get wrecked due to being in just full Boreal Wood and armed with a Hurtful Spear(Spear with +12% damage) and a plain Sickle. There some point where I could start attempting a normal Eye?

After you get iron armor probably, maybe sooner depending on how lucky you get with drops. Just build a decent bow around that point and make sure you have good arrows like the jester's arrow and you should be good to go.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

widespread posted:

The game itself pretty much decides you're ready when you hit 200 HP I think and will summon him. At that point you should probably have at least partial Silver/Tungsten or Gold/Platinum armor. As to weapons, at that point the best to use is a bow with arrows since the Eye is up in the air a lot. Flaming Arrows are most likely what you'll have but if you've somehow gone long enough to build up a stack of stars use Jester's Arrows. Also, look up potion recipes. You'll probably have found some Ironskin and Archery potions in pots and chests, but it never hurts to have more.

Or spend a couple hours fishing and get some good poo poo, including cooked fish!

Nuebot posted:

So the wiki says the hammer is a 100% drop from the paladin in expert mode and I'd just like to mention that it's not. I've only had one drop out of 20 or so paladin deaths.

EDIT: Skeleton snipers drop banners, so I assume everything else in the dungeon does too. So you know completionist OCD.

Dunno why someone would say it's 100%. Even regular drops only go from like .5% to 1% in Expert Mode. The wiki is inconsistent with the drop rate probably because someone went and just farmed paladins and tallied up the totals, but it says it's either 2.86% or 6.67% in normal mode, so if it's doubled maybe 5-10% is about right.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 8, 2015

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Slime/marble/ice/granite thing in progress to accompany the sky pagodas. Probably going to be the wizard's house.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

widespread posted:

I fought him with boreal wood armor. But you don't want to get into melee with him. Buy a shitton of shurikens (around 300) from the Merchant, and just spam those at him. Also, build a campfire and possibly a heart lantern at the arena, and also drink a regeneration and an ironskin potion. Both of those are quite easy to make (Bottled Water + Daybloom + Mushroom and Bottled Water + Daybloom + Iron Ore respectively).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So here's a weird kind of question. What does the most damage? I would assume it's the stuff dropped by the final boss, but does anything outclass the yo-yo he drops?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Abandoned Toaster posted:

The game itself pretty much decides you're ready when you hit 200 HP I think and will summon him. At that point you should probably have at least partial Silver/Tungsten or Gold/Platinum armor. As to weapons, at that point the best to use is a bow with arrows since the Eye is up in the air a lot. Flaming Arrows are most likely what you'll have but if you've somehow gone long enough to build up a stack of stars use Jester's Arrows. Also, look up potion recipes. You'll probably have found some Ironskin and Archery potions in pots and chests, but it never hurts to have more.

After some time exploring, I got some Angry Flurry Boots and a Snowball Launcher. Also got a Bulky Lead Broadsword. Now, since it's advised to have ranged vs Eye of Cthulhu, would the Snowball Launcher be good enough? Or should I just spring for the Jester's/Flaming Arrows?

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Okay, yoyos are goddamned amazing.

I avoided them for most of the game because they felt super underwhelming compared to bows/guns, but I'm halfway through expert hardcore and just picked up an Amarok and the Yoyo Bag and this thing just absolutely shreds enemies.

I can't wait to see what happens if I pick up one of the better hardmode ones :getin:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ugh I forgot how irritating it is to mine Hellstone before you have Obsidian Skin Potions.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013

Ulvirich posted:

Thank you for providing the wiring plans. One thing, the dart traps on the platform bridge, if they fire all at once, don't they only count once for firing, or did they change it? In the past, I have had to make them fire in sequential order otherwise they'd only hit once, instead of the six times like in your diagram.

This might be the case but I honestly didn't notice. The only real problem with mobs surviving too long I had were near the bottom (where that one dart is) which I fixed with more darts (:black101:) and the occasional Blood Jelly hopping inside. You could probably clear out the bridge faster your way though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

By the way, when it comes to kill counts, projectiles such as the things that spiral out from the Terrerian don't count. You have to kill them with the actual Yo-Yo. I was wondering why it was taking so long to get kills on some enemies I had a hard time hitting directly.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Anybody know where character saves are stored if you're using the cloud sharing option? It doesn't seem to be in the my documents folder like usual and I need to edit some poo poo into my inventory because Terraria decided to poo poo itself and crash after I gathered a bunch of souls of light.

Edit: nevermind, looks like clicking "move off cloud" puts a copy of the file in the usual save folder

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 8, 2015

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

widespread posted:

After some time exploring, I got some Angry Flurry Boots and a Snowball Launcher. Also got a Bulky Lead Broadsword. Now, since it's advised to have ranged vs Eye of Cthulhu, would the Snowball Launcher be good enough? Or should I just spring for the Jester's/Flaming Arrows?

Unfortunately I never start by a Snow Biome so I never find a Snowball Launcher early enough for it to be worth using and never have against the Eye, but from what other people have said in this thread it's pretty good. I would say just make sure your armor is a complete set and is the best you can find at the moment and you're stocked up on snowball ammo, Ironskin, Healing, and Regeneration or Swiftness Potions, as well as a food item like cooked fish for additional buffs. If you're going to summon him I would also recommend doing so in a nice open, flat area with a couple campfires and heart lanterns scattered about. With all this preparation he should be a pushover.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I start by snow biomes all the time and there's hardly ever any chests down there for me.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Nuebot posted:

By the way, when it comes to kill counts, projectiles such as the things that spiral out from the Terrerian don't count. You have to kill them with the actual Yo-Yo. I was wondering why it was taking so long to get kills on some enemies I had a hard time hitting directly.

Weird. I've gotten "you killed your 50th Black Slime!" or whatever and the accompanying banner when something just falls into lava and dies with no input at all from me while I'm digging up silt or something. Just happened two days ago with skeletons.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Weird. I've gotten "you killed your 50th Black Slime!" or whatever and the accompanying banner when something just falls into lava and dies with no input at all from me while I'm digging up silt or something. Just happened two days ago with skeletons.

Maybe it's different between single and multiplayer? In single player the game can credit every death to you but in multiplayer the game would need to track who is killing what, and might not be able to track projectiles that aren't directly from the player.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

President Ark posted:

If you've killed the mech bosses then A) corruption spread has slowed down, and B) chlorophyte ore has spawned, which converts corrupt dirt back into mud and re-jungles it.

Seriously I don't understand where people got the idea that the corruption will just burn right through their jungle and make it impossible to progress if they don't rush right through everything. It takes ages for it to convert a single tile just because the odds of it getting the jungle grass off the mud and turning the mud into dirt before the jungle grass grows over it again are so low.

When you kill the WoF it creates a V shape of hallow and corruption across the map. Depending on the size of the map and where things spawn, it is possible it can go through the middle of a jungle, so when it happens people go 'oh no, corruption spreads too fast!'

Nuebot posted:

So here's a weird kind of question. What does the most damage? I would assume it's the stuff dropped by the final boss, but does anything outclass the yo-yo he drops?

The last Prism from the end boss is utterly insane with the right build. I managed to kill the destroyer with it in around three seconds of glowing hell.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, my lava defence pit apparently killed enough rabbits to give me a banner earlier today.

Tenebrais posted:

Maybe it's different between single and multiplayer? In single player the game can credit every death to you but in multiplayer the game would need to track who is killing what, and might not be able to track projectiles that aren't directly from the player.

I will say that last night on the Goon multiplayer server I killed an enemy and another player who was closer and also afk was awarded the banner. Dude wasn't well equipped and didn't have any active defences up.

King Doom fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 8, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

I was in single player and some enemies just don't count when they get killed by the Terrerian's projectiles but others do. It's weird and confusing.

Anyway since they have different sprites for different types of cacti, I'm kind of bummed they didn't make different cacti blocks.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Is it possible to successfully take down duke fishron with anything besides cholorphyte bullets?
They're pretty annoyingly expensive especially when I just spent all mine on making gear and need to wait for regrowth

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Acne Rain posted:

Is it possible to successfully take down duke fishron with anything besides cholorphyte bullets?
They're pretty annoyingly expensive especially when I just spent all mine on making gear and need to wait for regrowth

If you can get the UFO mount from the Martian Madness even, then that and a magnet sphere lets you laugh at him. Just gotta keep moving, and since you can fly you are staying above all the tornados and stuff.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Acne Rain posted:

Just make a chlorophyte farm in the underworld. Spreads like crazy down there.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Having now beat normal mode, I really wish they'd put a mode between normal and expert mode, or rebalance expert mode some - Normal mode is mostly a faceroll outside of the moon lord stuff, but doing expert mode with a few friends was really fun up until skeletron - we /nearly/ beat him enough that I'm sure we could have managed with a little more work, but from what I've heard and seen hardmode bosses are just flat out unfair. Requiring near-perfect dodging just isn't reasonable with all that extreme damage bosses start doing on expert.

Having an expert-lite where things are tougher and nastier and a little smarter without some of the super-bullshit some of the expert mode bosses pull would be nice. I mean we could go do it with our lunar gear now but that wouldn't be as fun.

Plus, treasure bags are waaaaaaaaaay nicer than the single-drops from normal mode - trying to farm for some specific boss drops on normal mode is just pure torture, and double droprate in general make some rarer items feel much less obnoxious. Never been a big fan of any item that all but requires an afkfarm trap setup anyway

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I've been playing on a multiplayer server on expert with some friends and thought I'd share some stuff we've done so far!
This is one of our houses. It's at a perfect height where Dragons and Harpies don't even spawn.

You may notice it say's "gently caress Will" on the first floor of our house. Will lives on the other side of the map in this.

And lastly, this is our boss arena! It really helps to have the nurse and a spawn point down there. We've only ever had her die once though and it was during the destroyer. That was because I wasn't paying attention though.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Nuebot posted:

I just learned that there's a Living Rich Mahogany Wood wand and matching leaf wand.

Oh crap. Is there a Boreal version too? I have a dumb idea about a winter treefort and now I'm tempted to hunt down one so it'll match the trees.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Wolpertinger posted:

Having now beat normal mode, I really wish they'd put a mode between normal and expert mode, or rebalance expert mode some - Normal mode is mostly a faceroll outside of the moon lord stuff, but doing expert mode with a few friends was really fun up until skeletron - we /nearly/ beat him enough that I'm sure we could have managed with a little more work, but from what I've heard and seen hardmode bosses are just flat out unfair. Requiring near-perfect dodging just isn't reasonable with all that extreme damage bosses start doing on expert.

Not really. The only expert mode boss that's significantly different is Eye of Cthulu with his crazy dash spam (and arguably Skeletron with his defense schtick). The rest of them are just flat out numbers. It's not really any different to how you would play them on normal mode, you just have less room for error.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Oh crap. Is there a Boreal version too? I have a dumb idea about a winter treefort and now I'm tempted to hunt down one so it'll match the trees.

Nah, they added the mahogany version for those trees in the underground jungle. There's nothing like that for Boreals.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
That's probably better, now I won't be tempted to try and spam new worlds to try and find one.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Supremezero posted:

Not really. The only expert mode boss that's significantly different is Eye of Cthulu with his crazy dash spam (and arguably Skeletron with his defense schtick). The rest of them are just flat out numbers. It's not really any different to how you would play them on normal mode, you just have less room for error.

Yeah that's the thing, with many of the enemies, just increased numbers made them a lot more interesting, though several of the enemies had more mechanics or behaved differently (it became really obvious when you moved back to normal mode afterward). But, when it came to bosses, they gave them such big numbers that the only way to beat them is to just pretty much not get hit at all which isn't really very viable in Terraria without minecart or teleport shenanigans or whatnot.

Expert Skeletron was especially obnoxious though in that he had an extra gently caress you beyond the defense schtick and the ludicrous damage/hp too, when he spun his head to ram you, if he touched you even once he'd stick on top of you and keep spinning while you were knocked around constantly preventing you from being able to run while taking like 70~ damage a second in full molten armor and then pop before you even had the chance to try do anything to outrun him (he's fast enough to stick to someone who flat out jumps off the arena and will probably kill them in midair before they hit the ground).

Top of all this extreme difficulty with having to wait until the next day for the old man to respawn so we could fight skeletron again, except when he decided he didn't feel like respawning so we'd have to wait two days instead lead to an amazing amount of not fun and after looking up how hardmode bosses were gunna be more of the same only with even more nearly unavoidable damage it lead to us abandoning our expert mode world.

What annoys me so much about it is everything up to Skeletron was really enjoyable in comparison to normal mode, after which it becomes obnoxious. That's why I mentioned wanting a difficulty between normal and expert, where things are tougher without being bullshit and don't expect practically perfect play or overly complicated arenas or exploits to beat.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

jetz0r posted:

Wood platforms or a ladder of dirt blocks can get you to the sky islands very quickly. And digging up through the bottom of the islands lets you avoid harpies to loot chests or build a protective bubble next to a lake.

Yeah, but you won't know where sky islands are without some sort of flying ability unless you either cheat or manually check every screen-sized portion of sky by building dirt blocks up. So I guess I should say it's not impossible to get to them without flying or gravitation potions (after which you can build a rope down), but it's either cheating or incredibly tedious to do so.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 8, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Pakled posted:

Yeah, but you won't know where sky islands are without some sort of flying ability unless you either cheat or manually check every screen-sized portion of sky by building dirt blocks up. So I guess I should say it's not impossible to get to them without flying or gravitation potions (after which you can build a rope down), but it's either cheating or incredibly tedious to do so.

They're generally all at around the same height, so if you find one you can find them all. Given that you can just build a rope ladder up to space, jump off, and, with a parasol (which is reasonably common) cover a lot of air space just from that, it's not really that hard.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Pakled posted:

Shoot water bolts upward every so often until you see/hear some bounce back. Also works with meteor shot or other bouncing projectiles.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I like to build a rope going up as far as an island is, then lay down minecart tracks till you find one. They are super cheap to make, 1 bar of Iron and 1 piece of wood for 50 tracks. This also give you a way to quickly travel the length of your world.
EDIT: I also really just like minecarts.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

When you trigger hardmode, is which side the Hallow/Corruption stripes pick random? I mean, can you quickly close the game and try again if you wanted a specific side?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Acne Rain posted:

Shoot water bolts upward every so often until you see/hear some bounce back. Also works with meteor shot or other bouncing projectiles.

Or just shoot regular ammo and listen!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Wolpertinger posted:

What annoys me so much about it is everything up to Skeletron was really enjoyable in comparison to normal mode, after which it becomes obnoxious. That's why I mentioned wanting a difficulty between normal and expert, where things are tougher without being bullshit and don't expect practically perfect play or overly complicated arenas or exploits to beat.

Yeah, I gotta admit we are beating expert hardmode bosses by being a lot of people throwing themselves at them (around 10), which means less chance of everyone dying at once and the boss despawning. Even then, we beat skeletron prime seconds before dawn. I don't think I'd play expert solo or on small numbers, though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Expert world bosses scale their hp to the number of players in multiplayer, which probably explains why it took you until almost dawn. He must have had just a staggering sack of hit points if you've got 10 people going after him at once.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

nerdz posted:

Yeah, I gotta admit we are beating expert hardmode bosses by being a lot of people throwing themselves at them (around 10), which means less chance of everyone dying at once and the boss despawning. Even then, we beat skeletron prime seconds before dawn. I don't think I'd play expert solo or on small numbers, though.

It's actually not that bad Solo. Expert hates partying up.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Nuebot posted:

The Phantasm bow, provided you stay on target, does consistently over 5000 DPS. It's the highest damage thing i've seen so far, and i do have the Terrarian.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Sjonnar posted:

The Phantasm bow, provided you stay on target, does consistently over 5000 DPS. It's the highest damage thing i've seen so far, and i do have the Terrarian.

Last Prism is the best DPS for multi-target bosses I have seen, but Phantasm rips the single hitbox bosses to shreds much faster.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Did my first pirate invasion got a coin gun drop seminars pretty rare is it actually worth using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Did my first pirate invasion got a coin gun drop seminars pretty rare is it actually worth using?

What?
Also yes the coin gun is strong but remember you're literally shooting your money at them, so don't use it unless you're loaded.