Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gatts posted:

A youngish baby face Sarah does kind of work. She may have been trained by Arnold but she's still young in 1984. It's basically T1 Linda Hamilton only a bit more fit vs having the crazy drive and experience to mold her into Sarah of T2. This Sarah has Pops so her youth kind of works imo to show how at this point she's trying to shoulder a burden she may not have been quite ready for compares to her experience that lead to T2. Linda in T2 wouldn't need Pops. Instead she sees the T800 more as a peer or equal.

The more fundamental point, I think, is that she spent a decade being raised by Arnold.

In Terminator 2, Sarah had to head out to Mexico on her own, and somehow work her way into various criminal/terrorist organizations while also raising a son.

Clarke plays Sarah as a dork who's spent her life studying robots and learning human interaction from 80s TV shows. Not coincidentally, her character most resembles the young John from T2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Yeah, there's a lot of criticisms that can be leveled at the movie, but "Not enough like T1/2 Sarah Connor" doesn't make a whole lot of sense. This Sarah Connor has been different from that one since she was nine, it makes some sense to me that she might look or act differently, since she wasn't raised to be the other Sarah.

I will say that Emilia could have used more jawline and nose, though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shima Honnou posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of criticisms that can be leveled at the movie, but "Not enough like T1/2 Sarah Connor" doesn't make a whole lot of sense. This Sarah Connor has been different from that one since she was nine, it makes some sense to me that she might look or act differently, since she wasn't raised to be the other Sarah.

I will say that Emilia could have used more jawline and nose, though.

Women tend to get poo poo when they get work done though.

Men do to a much lesser degree.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Gatts posted:

In a sense I think Arnold is like a TX now. Unless he did completely upgrade to a T1000 by removing his chip and leaving his frame behind. I don't think so because of how iconic the endoskeleton is though it'd make some sense to leave behind a failing body.
I'd take a wild guess and say it's in there cause they established earlier in the movie that the T1000 metal can be used to repair a T800. And it'd give them some little detail to reveal in the next movie and get spoiled by trailers months before release. But yeah there's no real point to keeping the old body barring unknown magic terminator limitations like Arnie's chip being too old to handle a full liquid body or something :iiam:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Is this from the new Alien movie?

EDIT: It's not. I don't know if that's a shop or something he did for fun.

I believe it was a makeup test by a a makeup test by an effects studio trying to visualize how Biehn could look if Neil Blomkamp's Alien film gets made.

Burkion posted:

T-1000 is just liquid metal that's programmed to reshape itself. Whatever nonsense words T2 used to explain it.

And the T-X I don't THINK was stated to have nanobots, in theory she has the endo skeleton of a regular Terminator with a liquid metal covering for better disguises.

T-X definitely has nanobots. It's what she uses to take over the cars in the chase scene in T3.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 8, 2015

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

The T1000 from T2 was still sent back right? What did it do with itself? I wonder if there was anyone named John Conner left alive in the whole world by 2017. Or any Conners at all.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Fragmented posted:

The T1000 from T2 was still sent back right? What did it do with itself? I wonder if there was anyone named John Conner left alive in the whole world by 2017. Or any Conners at all.

John Connor never existed in the Genisys 1984-2017 timeline so there wouldn't be any reason for that T-1000 to go back.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I need a diagram or something. So time fuckery happens and a T1000 plus reprogrammed Arnold are sent back when Sarah is a kid resulting in no John. But then the bad Arnold still shows up from T1. So in a different timeline they sent the T2 terms back earlier AND the T1 term. If they still tried to kill Sarah obviously John was still alive to lead the resistance and send back good Arnold. I'm so confused. I mean all 3 and Reese were sent back at the same time right?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fragmented posted:

I mean all 3 and Reese were sent back at the same time right?
Maybe, it's kind of hard to say.

And I could work on a movies-only diagram that assumes there's multiple timelines, but I haven't seen Genisys yet (gonna see it with my father this weekend).

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

Yeah, I think he kept it all too. When he breaks into the bunker using a blade, it's only the missing arm that has transformed.

Isn't his facial damage also repaired?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm reading "Cowl" by Neal Asher. It features a lot of time travel, and does a cool handwave where the ridiculous future person just says "You have a linear mind, you won't get it." And they just leave it at that.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Fragmented posted:

I need a diagram or something. So time fuckery happens and a T1000 plus reprogrammed Arnold are sent back when Sarah is a kid resulting in no John. But then the bad Arnold still shows up from T1. So in a different timeline they sent the T2 terms back earlier AND the T1 term. If they still tried to kill Sarah obviously John was still alive to lead the resistance and send back good Arnold. I'm so confused. I mean all 3 and Reese were sent back at the same time right?

Sarah still exists so they still send back T1 terminator, but since Sarah and Kyle don't gently caress in 1984, John Connor isn't born in that timeline at all, so there's no reason to send something back to kill him.

John Connor from the timeline Kyle comes from goes back in time to ensure that Skynet exists, probably because the 1984 terminator fails and with that terminator failed Skynet could be stopped at the source. The 9-year-old Sarah T-1000 and 1984 T-1000 are sent back (Assuming they are not one and the same, of course; the T2 T-1000 did lose track of John, Sarah, and Arnie for a while, too, and we know simply blowing it up isn't enough to kill it) as a failsafe following the failure of the 1984 T-800, or alongside it following the takeover of John. The only question is who sent Pops back, and the answer to that is probably John Connor before he was completely corrupted, or someone from yet another timeline (Probably yet another alternate John).

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 8, 2015

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I thought the original timeline was Skynet sends back Arnold and the T1000. John sends back Reese before they realize Skynet sent both. John and co then reprogram another Arnie and send it back all on the same night. So if in the future bit we saw wouldn't that T1000 still get sent back before everything goes tits up as Reese is getting sent back? I'm assuming it was the original timeline until that moment that John gets attacked at the time portal.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The feeling I have is that Terminator probably should have just been a single self-contained movie because as soon as we add in the T-1000 everything starts falling apart. It opens up conceits. Either Skynet didn't fall before they sent Kyle back, meaning there's another time machine and Skynet sends the T-1000 back to correct the mistake of the T-800/Skynet took the time machine back and sent the T-1000 after reclaiming it. Or it means Skynet had the T-1000 sitting around good to go within moments of sending back the T-800, but then why not just send back the T-1000 in the first place since it's obviously the superior model for assassination?

That's when you have to make the choice to either just watch and enjoy a movie without worrying about internal logistics of a fictional story or go mad posting huge things trying to figure it all out.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I think the official line is that the T-1000 was a prototype with a new level of intelligence and Skynet feared it would go rogue.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
In the end we'll find out Skynet sent Pops back in time because it evolved to the point it realized it regrets doing what it did and make amends to stop itself.

Or maybe Pops sends himself back in time.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

It's fun to try make logical sense of the plot as long as you don't go as far as the Star Wars thread does. Maybe killing John was the primary target and Skynet sent the T1000 first and a regular terminator as a failsafe. Maybe the humans just saw the first later date after they sent Reese to the second earlier date.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

It's also amusing to think of the T1000 arriving to the Genisys timeline and being all wtf because there's no John and Sarah isn't even around. Then Pops tricks him to the acid cave again.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Fragmented posted:

It's also amusing to think of the T1000 arriving to the Genisys timeline and being all wtf because there's no John and Sarah isn't even around. Then Pops tricks him to the acid cave again.

Although they didn't show it, I'm pretty sure that's what must have actually happened. Well, dunno about Pops and the acid, but yeah I think Robert Patrick will have arrived in a Connorless 1995.

In James Cameron's original script for T2 it was made clear that both the T-800 and T-1000 were sent back by Skynet at the same time, as a two-pronged attack. The future war/time machine stuff at the beginning of Genisys is pretty faithfully based on that original Cameron script, including the time machine design and the HK spider tank, which Cameron called a "Centurion".

Once Kyle was sent back, the other soldiers were ready to blow up the time machine, but then Connor revealed that they still had something else to do. He went to a storage place for various Terminators. The rack for the Arnold models was already missing one (the original Terminator), and John then got a second Arnold and reprogrammed it. Of course John didn't get to do that in Genisys because he got attacked.

Although history goes nuts in Genisys, the original T-800 still arrived in exactly the same time and place it was originally supposed to, as did Kyle Reese. And Connor later explains that time traveller immunity is in effect, that they are exiles from a timeline that no longer exists but that doesn't matter, time travellers are immune to paradoxes.

So presumably the Robert Patrick T-1000 arrived in 1995 with no-one to kill. And I guess that's what also would have happened if the original T-800 had succeeded in killing Sarah. Once it had established that its mission was already complete, it would have gone and done whatever a Terminator is supposed to do once it has succeeded in terminating its target. (Maybe it goes to sleep somewhere and waits for the future war.)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What I'm hearing is, if they're clever, we'll get an OG T-1000 cameo later.

gently caress yes

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

What I'm hearing is, if they're clever, we'll get an OG T-1000 cameo later.

gently caress yes

I think the best way to do that would be CGI. Old-man Arnold works but the T-1000 should always look like Robert Patrick in his prime. And he's supposed to be made of liquid anyway so if the CGI isn't 100% convincing who cares.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'd love it if the T-1000 got so intelligent that it broke free of Skynet's influence...but in the exact opposite way of the Arnie Terminators, where he's still a sadistic killer who takes pleasure in murdering those who annoy him.

He and Arnie team up anyways because gently caress, if Skynet takes over, less humans to murder.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Burkion posted:

I'd love it if the T-1000 got so intelligent that it broke free of Skynet's influence...

Literally happens in the Terminator series.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Firstborn posted:

Literally happens in the Terminator series.

Oh I know, I watched that show.

I just want to see our good friend the original T-1000 do it. It'd be like a buddy cop movie, only with killer cyborgs

....you know I really do have to ask, how the gently caress does the T-1000 get past the 'no dead things' rule of time travel? I mean I understand the regular Terminators, they're covered in flesh so it tricks it. The T-1000 is literally just metal.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

....you know I really do have to ask, how the gently caress does the T-1000 get past the 'no dead things' rule of time travel? I mean I understand the regular Terminators, they're covered in flesh so it tricks it. The T-1000 is literally just metal.

The mimetic poly-alloy can mimic anything, including human tissue. Its mimetic, duh.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

The mimetic poly-alloy can mimic anything, including human tissue. Its mimetic, duh.

That doesn't mean it IS human tissue. It just looks and feels like it. Nothing on the T-1000 is alive.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Burkion posted:

Nothing on the T-1000 is alive.

It's living metal in the same way that humans are living oxygen, carbon, and hydrogen (and a little bit of other junk). Unlike the soulless T-800, the T-1000 possesses a fundamental animating force. That's why it's so dangerous to Skynet and wasn't in general use in fighting the resistance.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
We Hate Movies was reviewing T3 last week, I think it was, and they had this idea for the concept that I wished would've happened. Robert Patrick is sent back, and now he's the good guy, in the same sort of swerve that happened between T1 and T2.

The advertising for this movie made no secret that Patrick was not the T-1000, but at the same time the shot where he crawls through the glass of the police car and is perched on it completely silver still kind've looks like him. It's weird.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Burkion posted:

That doesn't mean it IS human tissue. It just looks and feels like it. Nothing on the T-1000 is alive.
Sure, but being a bunch of nano robots, it could potentially mimic living tissue at a cellular/molecular level well enough to fool the time machine.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I will stand by the goon who called Connor the "powder terminator".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomrph posted:

Sure, but being a bunch of nano robots, it could potentially mimic living tissue at a cellular/molecular level well enough to fool the time machine.

The T-1000 isn't nanobots. It's just liquid metal.

TX and T-3000 are nanobots.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Burkion posted:

The T-1000 isn't nanobots. It's just liquid metal.

TX and T-3000 are nanobots.
How do you think that "liquid metal" does what it does?

They're both made of nanotechnology, they just function differently.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomrph posted:

How do you think that "liquid metal" does what it does?

They're both made of nanotechnology, they just function differently.

We had this conversation earlier. It's a super experimental mimetic poly metal stuff. That's why it can form solid shapes, but it can't make stuff like guns or what not.

The difference between it and the T-3000

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Burkion posted:

It's been so long since I've watched T2, but the T-1000 time travel scene has him arriving offscreen, right? And the cop goes to investigate?

I guess a simple (simple, lol) explanation would be the the T-1000 got sent back as a ball of liquid metal wrapped in a skin balloon so that it could survive the trip, then it busts out, kills the cop, and uses his form as a 'default' template?

Basically the same way a normal terminator can make the trip, it's a machine wrapped in skin after all.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Burkion posted:

We had this conversation earlier. It's a super experimental mimetic poly metal stuff. That's why it can form solid shapes, but it can't make stuff like guns or what not.

The difference between it and the T-3000
Sure, but what does "mimetic poly metal stuff" mean? How does it do what it does?

The answer is it's a nanomachine, it just functions differently from the Connorbot, or the T-X's machine-hacking nanobots.

I could also cite the T2 novelization which is based on Cameron's T2 script, which refers to the T-1000 as a "nanomorph", made up of nanomachines.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

How does it do what it does?

Microscale adjustments of a self-reinforcing electromagnetic field acting on the metal alloy liquid. Unable to form nanoscale elements, it's not nanotechnology.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

WarLocke posted:

It's been so long since I've watched T2, but the T-1000 time travel scene has him arriving offscreen, right? And the cop goes to investigate?

I guess a simple (simple, lol) explanation would be the the T-1000 got sent back as a ball of liquid metal wrapped in a skin balloon so that it could survive the trip, then it busts out, kills the cop, and uses his form as a 'default' template?

Basically the same way a normal terminator can make the trip, it's a machine wrapped in skin after all.

It was probably offscreen so one would assume he was human. He impales the cop but it's shot so it looks like he sucker punched him too (though in the comics and IIRC the script it's very blatant).

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Firstborn posted:

I will stand by the goon who called Connor the "powder terminator".

Thanks though it was my cousin who isn't a goon. The Powder Terminator is awesome.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sir Kodiak posted:

Microscale adjustments of a self-reinforcing electromagnetic field acting on the metal alloy liquid. Unable to form nanoscale elements, it's not nanotechnology.
So they're microrobots instead of nanorobots, which is kind of just a semantic difference considering what's going on. At it's core, it's not actually literally a "liquid", it's a bunch of small, independently-controlled robots functioning in tandem to act as a liquid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Man o'wars are like that too, they're not actually jellyfish but rather many separete organisms that integrate and survive as one form.

• Locked thread