Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Are there any great ranged alternatives to a Godly Scourge of the Corruptor? I'm getting back into this with the update and am trying to figure out my options. I managed to beat the Martian invasion but the cultist at the dungeon entrance was too much for me. I switched from spectral to a hallowed armor set for the damage bonus.

I got the Martian gun that shoots those bursts but it seems unwieldy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

Are there any great ranged alternatives to a Godly Scourge of the Corruptor? I'm getting back into this with the update and am trying to figure out my options. I managed to beat the Martian invasion but the cultist at the dungeon entrance was too much for me. I switched from spectral to a hallowed armor set for the damage bonus.

Get some turtle or beetle armor.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

LLCoolJD posted:

I got the Martian gun that shoots those bursts but it seems unwieldy.

Flairon's sort of a similar ranged melee weapon with homing components.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
So, fishing for crates and saving them for hardmode is definitely a good choice at the moment. ~40 crates yielded enough hardmode bars and ore to craft a mythril drill and primary weapon. Then I just bee-lined straight for adamantine with spelunker potions and had a full set within an hour. While doing that, I found a unicorn and bought the clentaminator and hardmode is basically my bitch already. It's nice being able to just tackle the remaining bosses at my leisure now.

Also the staff of regrowth is hilarious and makes it trivial to horde hundreds of every plant variety so it's easier than ever before to be running around with huge stacks of every useful potion in the game.

Edit: I wish there was a way to disassemble accessories. Really regretting my bee cloak now that I've found a cross necklace.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 8, 2015

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
So semi new to this and just defeated Eye of Cthulu. What should I use my demonite ore for hat dropped? Should I hold off for Shadow Scales to make a Nightmare Pick or something else?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

DarthJeebus posted:

Also the staff of regrowth is hilarious and makes it trivial to horde hundreds of every plant variety so it's easier than ever before to be running around with huge stacks of every useful potion in the game.

Stupid question: How do you use the Staff of Regrowth to harvest things? I have a small farm, and I wanted extra Blinkroot for those sweet Wormhole Potions, but I tried both the right and left mouse buttons and it just swung the staff harmlessly through the plants in question.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

John Lee posted:

Stupid question: How do you use the Staff of Regrowth to harvest things? I have a small farm, and I wanted extra Blinkroot for those sweet Wormhole Potions, but I tried both the right and left mouse buttons and it just swung the staff harmlessly through the plants in question.

I think the plants have to be blooming in order for the staff to work, otherwise you have to whack them with a pick.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Asciana posted:

So semi new to this and just defeated Eye of Cthulu. What should I use my demonite ore for hat dropped? Should I hold off for Shadow Scales to make a Nightmare Pick or something else?

You'll get a lot more demonite ore from the same source you get your shadow scales, so don't worry about saving your ore. Spend the ore on whatever you need most. If you have a trash melee weapon, get the sword, if you're lacking a good ranged weapon, go for the bow. The War Axe is slower than the sword but actually does a lot of damage, so if you're still rolling with the starting copper axe for your lumber needs, the war axe actually will let you lumber at triple speed and murder everything at the same time.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I think I've had all of one world since 1.1 that didn't have the Hallow completely neutralized by spawning on top of the jungle. Even better, this time the entire underground Hallow is covered by jungle too.

I just want to have a fancy unicorn land :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

John Lee posted:

It'll only harvest blooming plants(that would drop their seeds). Blinkroot blooms at random(it blinks) so that's probably why.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

DarthJeebus posted:

So, fishing for crates and saving them for hardmode is definitely a good choice at the moment. ~40 crates yielded enough hardmode bars and ore to craft a mythril drill and primary weapon. Then I just bee-lined straight for adamantine with spelunker potions and had a full set within an hour. While doing that, I found a unicorn and bought the clentaminator and hardmode is basically my bitch already. It's nice being able to just tackle the remaining bosses at my leisure now.

Yeah this is what I did as well, ~60 Wooden Crates, ~12 Iron Crates, and ~5 Golden Crates and I had enough Titanium for my own drill and enough Adamantite (:sigh: ) to make a friend of mine a drill for him. By the end of that in-game day we both had full Orichalcum armor.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Walrus Pete posted:

I think I've had all of one world since 1.1 that didn't have the Hallow completely neutralized by spawning on top of the jungle. Even better, this time the entire underground Hallow is covered by jungle too.

I just want to have a fancy unicorn land :(

Make one!

Once you beat a Mechanical Boss you get the Steampunker NPC, which sells the Clentaminator. Use it to spread Hallow over a nice patch of forest.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

dis astranagant posted:

I start by snow biomes all the time and there's hardly ever any chests down there for me.

Really? First major excursion I did in the snowy underground found me a few buried homes, some chests- one of them gold- and loot, and all sorts of furnishings I could use to furnish a new home. There was even a full minecart track I could pinch. It led all the way to said gold chest, complete with small spider biome and an underwater path.

Oh, also got a detonator, which I activated and died.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Asciana posted:

By the time you get shadow scales you'll have gotten a ton more demonite vomited at you to make a pick. You should make a weapon.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
:siren: WARNING :siren:

DO NOT kill the cultists on your expert mode world unless you're ready to have your poo poo locked down by the solar pillar. Their attacks all do >200 damage, the solanians reflect projectiles, you can't put your back to a wall because the corites can phase through blocks, and you can't dodge because the crawlipedes will murder you if you take to the air. I'm about to try my last strategy before calling a bunch of people to help me clear the drat thing, and then i'm never doing it again. gently caress expert mode lunar events.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Sjonnar posted:

gently caress expert mode
ftfy

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How does the game determine what bait is used when you fish? I thought stuff put in the ammo slots would be prioritized but nope. Also does anyone know if the Crate potion's +10% is additive or multiplicative?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 8, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

RatHat posted:

How does the game determine what bait is used when you fish? I thought stuff put in the ammo slots would be prioritized but nope.

Whatever is in the top most left of your inventory gets used first.

Sjonnar posted:

:siren: WARNING :siren:

DO NOT kill the cultists on your expert mode world unless you're ready to have your poo poo locked down by the solar pillar. Their attacks all do >200 damage, the solanians reflect projectiles, you can't put your back to a wall because the corites can phase through blocks, and you can't dodge because the crawlipedes will murder you if you take to the air. I'm about to try my last strategy before calling a bunch of people to help me clear the drat thing, and then i'm never doing it again. gently caress expert mode lunar events.

Do the other ones first then and make some better weapons.
Also you can make a really good melee weapon that can attack everything through walls after you beat it once so it's much easier the next time.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 8, 2015

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Mystery Prize posted:

Make one!

Once you beat a Mechanical Boss you get the Steampunker NPC, which sells the Clentaminator. Use it to spread Hallow over a nice patch of forest.

You don't have to wait until you can beat a mechanical boss (which would be a problem on its own). You can just buy hallow seeds from the Dryad and transplant the Hallow to a different part of the forest, and from that point it will start to spread normally.

You can also use the Hallowed Seeds along with Pixie Dust and bottled water to make Holy Water which spreads the hallow to an I think 5-tile radius circle from the point it hits.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anyone playing multiplayer right now? I'd like to help out with other people's worlds and such.

nvm, asked about adding things to the OP that were already in the OP.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 8, 2015

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Senor Candle posted:

Whatever is in the top most left of your inventory gets used first.

Do the other ones first then and make some better weapons.
Also you can make a really good melee weapon that can attack everything through walls after you beat it once so it's much easier the next time.

I already had the best weapons and armor from a normal mode run. Anyway, my last strat worked, although i still died three times while implementing it.

edit: Also, the Solar Eruption ain't poo poo against expert solar pillar enemies. I used full summoner gear + Vortex Beater with chloro rounds from a small platform above the pillar itself.

Sjonnar fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 8, 2015

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
You guys are so smart, I never woulda thought about a chlorophyte farm. Shame it doesn't work in the sky.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Xenaero posted:

You guys are so smart, I never woulda thought about a chlorophyte farm. Shame it doesn't work in the sky.

It actually might, it would just be slow as all gently caress if it does. Chlorophyte's growth speed increases as you go down. So the fairly eh speed that you actually see in the jungle is actually bad. In an Underworld farm, it will literally be growing while you're building the farm.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I've not known chlorophyte to spread at all above the cavern layer. Like I've placed chlorophyte farmlets at different places and only the one in the cavern grew at all.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do jungle spores only appear at a certain depth or something? I'm trying to find some but can't find any even though I entered the jungle from the caverns. I remember them being all over the place in old versions.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
All right, expert Cthulhu down.

I'd like to reemphasize, for the record, that the real threats in the lunar events are the solar pillar trashmobs. Anything else can be handled by the One True God (Space Dragon) and His Prophets (Star Cells) backed by proper use of heavy firepower.

I got the SDMG, and i am disappoint. loving Hollywood silencer bullshit. It sounds like a wet fart. I'm sticking with the Vortex Beater, because it speaks with loving authority.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Sjonnar posted:

All right, expert Cthulhu down.

I'd like to reemphasize, for the record, that the real threats in the lunar events are the solar pillar trashmobs. Anything else can be handled by the One True God (Space Dragon) and His Prophets (Star Cells) backed by proper use of heavy firepower.

I got the SDMG, and i am disappoint. loving Hollywood silencer bullshit. It sounds like a wet fart. I'm sticking with the Vortex Beater, because it speaks with loving authority.

Why would you use other summons when you could just get a bigger space dragon?

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Senor Candle posted:

Why would you use other summons when you could just get a bigger space dragon?

I generally go with 5 segment Space Dragon + 5 Star Cells because the Star Cells can engage multiple targets and apply considerable damage over time. But for the Moon Lord (and other bosses), i use full-power Space Dragon, because there's only one target to fight.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Supremezero posted:

It actually might, it would just be slow as all gently caress if it does. Chlorophyte's growth speed increases as you go down. So the fairly eh speed that you actually see in the jungle is actually bad. In an Underworld farm, it will literally be growing while you're building the farm.

I knew about these farms but I did not know that depth impacted the speed of growth. This is brilliant.

Internet Kraken posted:

Do jungle spores only appear at a certain depth or something? I'm trying to find some but can't find any even though I entered the jungle from the caverns. I remember them being all over the place in old versions.

It has been a while since I went hunting for those but I believe that they are typically only found throughout the bottom half or so.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Supremezero posted:

How big do you make the mud surrounding them? I know the go-to size before was 5x5.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RatHat posted:

How big do you make the mud surrounding them? I know the go-to size before was 5x5.

I just do a huge row of 3xwhatever, and put Chlorophyte in every other space on the second row.. Quicker to mine it up when I'm done. I should probably make it bigger, but I love my automine.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Automine is pretty great, yeah. It makes digging a hellevator a lot quicker than it used to be. AutoHammer and AutoWireCutter are even better.

EDIT: Just learned that SmartCursor for regular blocks is turned off by default for some people(like me) and it has to be enabled by editing the config file. That's weird.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 8, 2015

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
poo poo I need to get more creative with my structures. I look at this thread and I'm impressed.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
For you creative folks, how do you plan out your stuff?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

god bless my beautiful steed Negative Nancy

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Here's a mostly built airship.

I didn't get to the finer details because I built it on a friend's server and now it's down for a couple weeks while he's on vacation.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Freakazoid_ posted:

Here's a mostly built airship.

I didn't get to the finer details because I built it on a friend's server and now it's down for a couple weeks while he's on vacation.

Where's the pipe at the end that you go into to fight the Koopa Kid?

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
And why do you keep your booty in the bilge?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I figured the slime rain + goblin invasion at the same time was pretty bad but when the blood moon joined in, it definitely didn't help

expert mode owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

expert mode owns

ftfy