Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Back To 99 posted:

Hmm, to prevent the Janissary decadence disaster you need 5 in a skill, but Republican leaders start with just 4. Did you easily manage to prevent the disaster in time for a reelection every time, or am I missing something else?

Yeah, the only thing you have to worry about increasing the progress of the disaster is the +1 per month for <70 army tradition. That means you only get 48% progress before the first reelection if you've got a 4 year election cycle, and progress is reset every time you get a leader with 5 or more in a skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

SeaTard posted:

It only applies to Latin culture group countries (that aren't Italy), so you need to either change cultures (and presumably find a way to re-gain Free City status), or just form Italy.

This would be a hassle and also maybe invalidate my attempt at a Lucky Lucca run. I just frontloaded a bunch of development to get some value out of the Free City thing and left the Empire when the event fired. Timed it so I annexed my four-province Siena vassal a few months later, which was nice and fortunate.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Chickpea Roar posted:

Edit: Ottoman republics own, btw. In the mid 1600s the current Padisha's heir lawyered his father into stepping down and turned the Empire into bureaucratic despotism. Switching to a regular republic with elections meant I could keep the Janissary bonus the rest of the game with no problems, until I got too greedy and collapsed into an absolute monarchy, but happily for me that was just in time for the revolution.
:monocle: Was that an event or did you pull something fancy? I am well on my way to conquering Vienna and Westernizing right after I conquer and vassalize a bunch of India and I am curious what a government switch like that would do. Though it would make getting high/low Piety hard. Also does this mean you are paying the Janissaries off every 4 years?!?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I wanna be Italy + Milan ideas

I like the flag tho :colbert:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Bort Bortles posted:

:monocle: Was that an event or did you pull something fancy? I am well on my way to conquering Vienna and Westernizing right after I conquer and vassalize a bunch of India and I am curious what a government switch like that would do. Though it would make getting high/low Piety hard. Also does this mean you are paying the Janissaries off every 4 years?!?

It's a random event with a MTTH of only 833 years :v:
Paying off the Janissaries and piety changes only happens on a new ruler, so you should re-elect as much as you can I guess.

Edit: The wiki was wrong, it's 417 years, not 833.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 8, 2015

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Chickpea Roar posted:

Regarding Revolutions:
I'm trying to spark one in my Ottoman game right now. Starting the disaster is easy enough, but the first rebels spawned besides a 50k rebel hunting army and was instantly wiped. I got an event a couple of months later that would have spawned three stacks on different isolated Indonesian isles, so I chose the non-rebel option. Years later and I haven't gotten a single revolutionary rebel uprising. Will there be more event-spawned revolutionaries? According to the wiki the revolution will be successful if my capital is occupied by rebels, but does it have to be revolutionary rebels? If not I'm just gonna move my capital next to the next rebel stack that pops up and mothball the fort...

Are you not getting natural rebels from province unrest? The Revolution increases it by like 10, so in that case you definitely have some unrest-lowering stuff. Get rid of it, tank your stability etc. and they should spawn naturally and march on your capital. Turn off rebel hunting on your armies and simply follow the revolutionaries recapturing provinces from them.

(And yeah, it has to be revolutionary rebels IIRC)

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Guildencrantz posted:

Are you not getting natural rebels from province unrest? The Revolution increases it by like 10, so in that case you definitely have some unrest-lowering stuff. Get rid of it, tank your stability etc. and they should spawn naturally and march on your capital. Turn off rebel hunting on your armies and simply follow the revolutionaries recapturing provinces from them.

(And yeah, it has to be revolutionary rebels IIRC)

Yeah, I've got a bunch of different rebel factions forming, but no revolutionaries. Besides the ~100 different patriots and nationalists there's Ottoman peasants and particularists. I fired my theologican, would increasing general revolt risk further help any if they're not already active? Maybe my problem is I've filled out the plutocracy idea track? I've heard that removes revolutionary rebels.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
You should let the event revolutionary rebels spawn and hope they teleport to your capital

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I've given up on the revolution. What a multicultural empire really needs is an enlightened despot :getin:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Chickpea Roar posted:

I've given up on the revolution. What a multicultural empire really needs is an enlightened despot :getin:

Look at all those motherfuckin' accepted cultures. I feel like I actually have better and more rewarding goals this time in the Turkish game I have going and hope to keep it going though to the endgame. I am pretty :prepop: at your Turkisiberia though. No CN in Australia? If I was not planning on taking Admin as my 4th idea I would consider Exploration so I could colonize Asia.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Chickpea Roar posted:

:eyepop: dem country modifiers doe

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Good to see even uber ottomans can't get Georgian as an accepted culture. I've been pumping so many dip points in every Georgian province in my Persian game but still nothing. I'm hoping maybe when I finally get to enlightened despotism I'll get them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PrinceRandom posted:

Good to see even uber ottomans can't get Georgian as an accepted culture. I've been pumping so many dip points in every Georgian province in my Persian game but still nothing. I'm hoping maybe when I finally get to enlightened despotism I'll get them.
He doesnt have Georgia fully conquered, the slacker. I have the accepted culture threshold down to 5/2.5 in my current game and I do not have Trading in Silk or a government bonus, yet. What government type is that anyway? I need to get to tech level 29 ASAP. I dont know any of the lategame varieties.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I have full Humanism + trading in silk ( Persia has a loving ton of silk and saving up for textile manufactories is so worth it, I have 38% of the silk in the 1720s)

I haven't even tried with Armenians cause they're dirt poor

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baronjutter posted:

Does trade power from ships travel downstream or only provinces?

Only provinces, and it flows upstream, not downstream. Value only flows downstream, power only flows upstream.

Tsyni posted:

I notice the tooltip for protecting trade with ships usually indicates that sending my trade fleet to the home node will increase trade by like .1 or sometimes subtract trade. What's up with that?

It's wrong, ignore it.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
If you get over 9 provinces as a daymo, will the shogun immediately declare war on you or will the AI maybe decide to wait long enough for me to take over every other daymo?

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
If you manage to get plutocratic ideas on top of humanist and diplomatic ideas and enlightened despotism and trading in silk you can get your accepted culture threshold down to this:

It does exactly what you think it does.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PrinceRandom posted:

I have full Humanism + trading in silk ( Persia has a loving ton of silk and saving up for textile manufactories is so worth it, I have 38% of the silk in the 1720s)

I haven't even tried with Armenians cause they're dirt poor
Well poo poo, I need to start conquering Persia. I developed Hudanivendigar and Aleppo (Halep) and put Textile Mangufactories on them hoping it would help push my Silk% up.

Also gently caress Armenia they can rot. Same with the Pontic shitheads and those single Gothic and Armenian provinces.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Back To 99 posted:

If you get over 9 provinces as a daymo, will the shogun immediately declare war on you or will the AI maybe decide to wait long enough for me to take over every other daymo?

He'll attack you if he perceives you as weak (typically meaning your manpower is low).

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

7 silk in the azeri and Persian provinces.

Persia has loving great trade goods but low development with bad terrain

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PittTheElder posted:

Only provinces, and it flows upstream, not downstream. Value only flows downstream, power only flows upstream.

Ok, so if I already have like 98% power on my home node there's really no reason to park a fleet on it. Last time I was seriously playing all trade power went upstream so you could park a huge fleet on your home node which would increase your power in all previous nodes, just sucking everything in. As I understand it only provincial trade power has any "reach" now and it's only up to 1 node away?

Is there any way to gain dominant trade power in an inland node? I control 100% of the provinces, have them very developed, have a merchant, have insane mercantalism, but I still fight to keep my trade power above 40% because it's only me sending trade one way and like 40 OPM's sending it the ther way and they all get +50 power from their stupid "caravan" ability.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
:barf:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man Spain really likes getting southern Italy.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

They did have it in the 1500s

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Baronjutter posted:

If Aragon somehow manages to not gently caress up and lose Naples, then they'll bring it along for the ride when the Spanish Union happens.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Yeah, what's Trebizond doing up in Crimea, typical weird Greek stuff wait hang on

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
You are a neighbour who is 100% going to war with poland and they're an unstoppable juggernaut. But ally them and this happens

This game sometimes.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Is it normal for both me and my enemies to be able to just waltz right through neutral territory during wars? I thought that wasn't supposed to be possible without military access. Is it because I'm an HRE prince and the neutral territory is also part of the HRE?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Ok, so if I already have like 98% power on my home node there's really no reason to park a fleet on it. Last time I was seriously playing all trade power went upstream so you could park a huge fleet on your home node which would increase your power in all previous nodes, just sucking everything in. As I understand it only provincial trade power has any "reach" now and it's only up to 1 node away?

Correct. Was changed in the patch before CS I believe.

quote:

Is there any way to gain dominant trade power in an inland node? I control 100% of the provinces, have them very developed, have a merchant, have insane mercantalism, but I still fight to keep my trade power above 40% because it's only me sending trade one way and like 40 OPM's sending it the ther way and they all get +50 power from their stupid "caravan" ability.

Not really no. Stacking trade buildings on provinces with +Trade Power modifiers helps, but when you've got the entire HRE trying to pull trade out of your node there's not a huge amount you can do, short of conquering all the provinces in the next node too.

This is exactly why it can be good to collect in an upstream node if you hold a ton of power there. For instance, as Russia, everyone will use their ships to steal power from Novgorod, but since I own all the provinces in the only node downstream, I hold 100% power in Kazan, and just collect there as well, which nets me most of the value coming west along the northern route. The decrease in value in Novgorod also makes it easier to compete there, since the other powers are less enthusiastic about it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Speaking of Russia - I have a hard time getting into a game as them even though I really want to. It is a big turn-off for me that all of the hordes have different cultures and are all muslim, which essentially forces you to take Religious. Even then, though, none of the horde cultures are ever accepted cultures and it just seems like a waste of time to conquer their land, but you need to do something to gain enough power to take down the Polish-Lithuanian beehive.

edit: though now that I think about it, the Russian NIs bother me too. The Production, Army tradition, and tech cost discount all seem really out of place since Russia was always backwards and could never westernize, and if they do westernize AND get a 10% tech discount, that is pretty lol.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 8, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
If you take Religious then the culture costs get low enough after the one Russian NI that also lowers them that you'll be converting provinces for like 30-60 dip. Also the key for Russian money, just like its army, is quantity over quality. You take Religious and then Exploration and then get like 800 development worth of provinces by just going out East and colonizing Siberia+swallowing up whatever weak northern Asia nations are there. That gives you a shitload of production/trade, as well as about half a dozen gold provinces depending on how the RNG plays out. Then it won't matter that you've got the wrong culture on everything, you'll be making more money then you can actually use anyway all while having more manpower and force limit than the rest of the top 5 nations combined.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I won't get any penalty for holding Rome once I form Italy right?

Also I'm trying to refine my merc strat. You don't want any as a standing force right? I'm generally really aggressive in my wars and it seems like it'd take too long to raise a merc force substantial enough to save manpower in fights

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why do the one Siberian nations have a national idea for extra colony growth if they never take any ideas which grant them colonists? Not that they would put any points in them before it's all gobbled up anyway.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
So that if a player decides to play them it can be a slightly less tedious experience. AI Siberians aren't really supposed to do anything other than let Japan take Hokkaido and the Manchus expand a little bit more.

PrinceRandom posted:

Also I'm trying to refine my merc strat. You don't want any as a standing force right? I'm generally really aggressive in my wars and it seems like it'd take too long to raise a merc force substantial enough to save manpower in fights

If you can afford it and you keep the unit type up to date there's not really anything wrong with having them as a standing force, often it's more convenient that way. I regularly have woefully out of date mercenaries out in the colonies since you can't create them there and off-theatre wars are for some reason always huge manpower drains with regular infantry.

They really don't take long to raise before a war though; it's like 15 days per regiment, that's the blink of an eye in EU4 time. Just plan to raise them a little bit before you declare war. If you're too lazy/ preoccupied to do that though, at least raising some for siege stacks a little ways into it is a good idea.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Koramei posted:

So that if a player decides to play them it can be a slightly less tedious experience. AI Siberians aren't really supposed to do anything other than let Japan take Hokkaido and the Manchus expand a little bit more.
Ah, of course.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I haven't yet had the opportunity to try out the new Protestant mechanics since CS dropped, are the new benefits significant enough to abandon Catholicism as France?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PrinceRandom posted:

I won't get any penalty for holding Rome once I form Italy right?

What Koramei said. Early game in my Ottoman game I ran 4 merc inf, 4 normal inf, 4 cav. Later I upped that to 6 merc/6regular inf. I was almost constantly at war so I kept them reaised, only dismissing them if I knew I would be at peace for more than 6 months. When raising the mercs all I do is raise 2 in the province the army is stationed in and 1 in as many adjacent provinces as mercs I need. Pretty simple, at least to me, and it was enough that I never, ever, had manpower issues despite being lazy and sieging with full stacks and fighting constantly.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I didn't realize mercs don't upgrade automatically, but it makes sense. This explains why my merc stacks that I keep out in the colonies have been underperforming.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Bold Robot posted:

I didn't realize mercs don't upgrade automatically, but it makes sense. This explains why my merc stacks that I keep out in the colonies have been underperforming.

Longbow mercs nock their bows as the Napoleonic infantry advances.

"It's a living." :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I haven't yet had the opportunity to try out the new Protestant mechanics since CS dropped, are the new benefits significant enough to abandon Catholicism as France?

Protestantism is now the single best Christian faith, so yes. Plus, if you take religious ideas, you will have a good CB against the Iberians, who I have never seen convert.

• Locked thread