Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

reddit is loving hilarious

quote:

but this isnt a normal dog. did you read my post? it lives in a house alone. doesnt that make it more of a person under the law then a dog? since it owns something? how can property own property?

quote:

interesting rebuttal. are any of you actual lawyers? i dont think your understanding what im saying. the dog owns the house. it is called the doghouse by the neighborhood. thaT makes it more human law than dog laws or nature which would mean normally someone could shoot it but once again i dont want violence not just because its wrong but i dont want to be in trouble for shooting a property owner. but the dog owns the house and i cant sue the caretaker because the dog lives alone. i want the dog out of the house. am i making myself clear yet?
also ive talked to one of my smarter friends who took some pre law classes in college and he too agrees that this isnt a normal dog. its a special dog with many friends of the town and suing it will be difficult since the dog is very popular.
i plan on meeting with a lawyer tomorrow and hopefully he will let you guys know how this dog is very special and different as far as the law goes and its not a normal dog. it has local political power.

it's probably a troll but gently caress it, keep the dream alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

very good rear end. i like you a lot. i just got a new computer. please message me.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

sweet

california just passed a law stripping the religious exemption from people who want to send their kids to public school.

religious AND personal belief exemptions were removed

“Once you allow vaccines in, you can’t get them back out,” said Hayes, who says her three children all suffered vaccine-related injuries. “A cataclysmic series of events begin, which manifest themselves over the course of the child’s lifetime. Might be a fever and inconsolable crying today. Seizures next week. Autism and a life-threatening peanut allergy by age 2. Tourette’s and gut dysbiosis by age 5. Type 1 diabetes at age 10. Special ed and no diploma of any sort at age 22. Joblessness, nowhere to go, nothing productive to do through middle age and institutionalization and victimization until they die.”

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

quote:

I live in an in-law unit in SF. I signed the lease knowing that this was an illegal unit, but the rent is low considering the location and I didn't have any other options.

Anyway, so my apartment is essentially the ground floor underneath a 4 story building. I have a separate entrance to my apartment than everyone else in the building and am the only one who has access to it. There is a small sewer vent right by my front door. This door is my only entrance and exit. Lately this sewer has been getting clogged and backed up, and I will walk out the door to discover standing water/ human feces/toilet paper flooding the fenced walkway out to the street. Sometimes I can walk around it, and sometimes the puddle is so large I have to try to jump over and hope I don't step in it.

Every time this has happened, I've contacted my landlord and he's sent someone out to either clean it up, or snake the drain and temporarily unclog the pipe. However it's started to happen really frequently and I'm getting really sick of it.

Is there something that the landlord or the city should be doing to prevent this from happening any more? What are some of the risks associated with living in this kind of environment? Is there any way I can get assistance relocating if this becomes persistent or detrimental to my health?

hi yes I live in a literal sewer in SF but at least the rent is cheap

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

“Once you allow vaccines in, you can’t get them back out,” said Hayes, who says her three children all suffered vaccine-related injuries. “A cataclysmic series of events begin, which manifest themselves over the course of the child’s lifetime. Might be a fever and inconsolable crying today. Seizures next week. Autism and a life-threatening peanut allergy by age 2. Tourette’s and gut dysbiosis by age 5. Type 1 diabetes at age 10. Special ed and no diploma of any sort at age 22. Joblessness, nowhere to go, nothing productive to do through middle age and institutionalization and victimization until they die.”

idiot

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Luigi Thirty posted:

anyone who lives in sf already lives in a literal sewer

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
these antivaxers, these mother fuckers. these loving treash cans. i hate them!!

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

New York Times posted:

And because Reddit provides a democratic forum based on voting to determine what content gets seen, this means that the most interesting content will rise to the top.

The wording of this sentence must be a deliberate attempt to anger me, personally.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
all antivaxers should be forcefully moved to Colorado to join the crunchy moms and jony

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Smythe posted:

same smythe. same.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

a fever and inconsolable crying today. Seizures next week. Autism and a life-threatening peanut allergy by age 2. Tourette’s and gut dysbiosis by age 5. Type 1 diabetes at age 10. Special ed and no diploma of any sort at age 22. Joblessness, nowhere to go, nothing productive to do through middle age and institutionalization and victimization

it's time for me to kill..... and it's time for me to die.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

personal finance is as good as legal advice

quote:

Okay, for a bit of context, my Mother passed away a few years ago and it was only around 1 year ago that her estate was settled. I received a little over $100,000 AUD (I'm Australian) not long after I had turned 19. This was highly unexpected as she didn't technically have much in her name due to irrelevant reasons, so it was a major surprise when I was informed.

Anyway, prior to this, I was just your average small-town boy with a modest job and still living at home. I was brought up in a low-income home, and always made do with what we had, and was more than happy with that. I never complained about money, and my parents were the type of people that would give us kids their last $10 if we needed it. They weren't wasteful, and were incredibly humble people. I have been fortunate enough, though, to always be able to land myself well-paying jobs, and I believe this is where my bad spending habits start.

I was making $1000+ a week in my first year out of school, with very minimal expenses combined with free accommodation + food 5 days a week (living on site). I held that job for around 10 months, before I decided I didn't like it. From this, you may assume that I should have saved quite a generous amount, but I in fact did not save one single cent. I left that job poorer than when I started. I would come home on weekends and blow all my money on whatever the hell I felt like, buy all the latest gadgets and toys, drink and gamble myself stupid, and whatever else 18 year old boys enjoy doing. I have never had a job that paid less than $20/hr, yet somehow I had absolutely nothing to show for it. I was living paycheck to paycheck, blowing it all, and then borrowing money from family and friends because I knew I'd be more than able to pay it back the following week. And hence started a vicious cycle. So by the time I inherited this $100K, I thought that this would be the end of my troubles. I was slowly making the transition into adulthood, and I had a nice little head start to help me along.
Nope. Wrong. By the time I received this money, I owed my Dad around $6K, had around $3K in credit card debt and owed around $2K for my car.

Rightly, the first thing I did with this money was make myself debt free (I should add that I gave my Dad $20K all up, because he deserved at least that much for putting up with my poo poo for 19 years). So within a day I was already $25K down. Within the space of a few months I had gone out and bought myself a new car, new motorbike, TV, gadgets, games, clothes, gone on road trips and festivals and other stupid, little, unnecessary purchases. Cue around another approx $45K gone. So now I was down to around $30K, and this was the point when I realised WTF am I doing. I wasn't stupid enough to quit my job, as obviously this amount of money wasn't lifetime sustainable, so I still had a steady income week-to-week and was still living at home, but somehow this money was still dwindling faster than a US cop pulls his gun.

So I now had around $30K sitting in my bank account, and I had bought all the toys I wanted, had all my fun, and realised that okay, now I need to start acting sensible and invest/save this money wisely. I was finally starting to lower my spending, began reading into the best ways to utilise this money I had left, opened a high-interest savings account for the time being and stopped going out every weekend. Then, all of a sudden, I have a petty fight with a girl I was seeing, basically said a big gently caress you to her, packed all my things into my car and moved to an entirely new city by myself. It was such a spontaneous decision I didn't organise it one little bit. I barely even knew where I was going. For the first few months, I was unemployed, paying a grossly excessive amount of rent, and basically living like a king with the money I had left. By the time I was down to around $5K, I went out and got myself another well-paying job, and cut back on a lot of spending. I guess one of the reasons I spent it so erratically was because I felt like I didn't deserve it, and every time I looked at it I was reminded of my mother, and how I would have gave it all back in an instance to spend one last day with her. So I guess I decided to use this money to treat myself, to go out and have fun to make up for the last few years of heartache, and one part of me is glad that I did. At the same time though, I have now reached a point where I realised how much was wasted unnecessarily and how stupid I was.

Cue to today, roughly 1 year later, I have almost zero savings and although I try not to dwell on it, I often wish I had been a lot smarter than what I was. I owe $4K in credit card debt, I owe my Dad $5K and my brother $5K (both agreed to pay back over 2 years). One plus is that I have no loans, I own my car and bike and all the furniture/white goods/electronics in my apartment. I make around $600/week and also study full-time (will owe approx. $30K student loans when I finish).

My expenses include the following per month:
$1200 for rent
$80 for utilities
$120 for phone bill
$300 for food and fuel
$90 for internet, VPN, Netflix and Spotify
$60 for gym
$60 for cable TV

I have absolutely no value for money. I see money and I spend it. I have always lived by the philosophy that I'd rather die with 1 million good memories, than 1 million wasted dollars. But I am now at a point in my life where I need to start becoming financially independent, and starting to realise that I need to find a good balance between the two. I know it's necessary for survival, and I know that I will always be in a position where I will be making money, but I just keep digging myself further and further into holes.

Is this because I am too optimistic about my future? Am I too careless with my spending? I have tried budgeting, keeping detailed records of all my expenses, cutting down on wasteful spending, reading through pages and pages of financial advice, this sub, putting my money in places it's harder to touch and so on and so on. All to no avail. I'll finally get on a good run, have myself in a decent financial position, and then a friend will call me to come away for the weekend or go to a show I really want to see or a new game will come out and I just can't help myself. I go overboard, all in the name of fun. Money comes and goes, experiences last a lifetime. Is this a bad attitude to have? Or am I just simply still too young to really be worrying about this sort of thing right now? I've never been that desperate for money, or had to starve for a week or anything that major. I have had times where I've struggled to put fuel in my car or unable to pay phone bills or had to count silver coins to buy myself a meal, but I think every young adult/uni student goes through those moments. But I just feel like I should really have a hell of a lot more than what I do to show for myself. I mean, I live 1000's of miles away from home, supporting myself and living on my own, but I still often feel like I should be doing a whole lot better than what I am. Basically, Reddit, and I apologise for the rambling and the wall-of-text, but I am asking how the hell do you teach yourself the value of money? Do you think that me wasting all this money in a space of a year, from the point of being $100K up, to now being over $10K down, was a valuable life lesson? Or is it just a sign of a never-ending cycle? Is this more a personal problem than a money problem? I just don't even know where to begin.
EDIT: some further questions:
My CC interest rate is 19.74% p.a. Should I consider transferring this to a 0% for x amount of months kind of deal?
What should I be focused on more right now, eliminating debt, or building up a decent savings account for emergencies and what-not?
Is investing out of the question until I am in a financial position more stable to do so?

how the gently caress do you spend $45,000 in 3 months at age 19

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

actually, very easily

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

wouldn't even buy a new m3 in Australia

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

cocaine

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
it's super easy to spend a lot of money if you have, or perceive yourself to have, much more left afterwards

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Smythe posted:

gently caress yeah

they should be exposed to minuscule doses of infectious disease

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

eschaton posted:

gently caress yeah

they should be exposed to minuscule doses of infectious disease

u mean ur posts?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
it's cool that states like california are joining mississippi and west virginia here in the 21st century.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

faxlore posted:

"vaccine safety assessment clinics" gonna pop up in every strip mall in California.

nah, we hit the red line when disneyland was threatened

you do not gently caress with disneyland

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

EVGA Longoria posted:

reddit is loving hilarious

it's probably a troll but gently caress it, keep the dream alive

"my friend is more of a 'bird law' expert, but he assures the different fields of pet and animal law are mostly similar. if the dog is taking on the responsibilities of a human, he can be sued just like you or me!"

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

one irony is that some of it is probably his own poo poo

quote:

Is there something that the landlord or the city should be doing to prevent this from happening any more? What are some of the risks associated with living in this kind of environment? Is there any way I can get assistance relocating if this becomes persistent or detrimental to my health?

yes if only there were some kind of public health code that regulated things like housing density and sewage

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Luigi Thirty posted:

put a big rubber diaphragm over the hole

he should talk to his mom to see where he can get one big enough

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

crusader_complex posted:

yes if only there were some kind of public health code that regulated things like housing density and sewage
most in-laws are illegal and most people who live in them are afraid to say anything because they'll lose their place

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

most in-laws are illegal and most people who live in them are afraid to say anything because they'll lose their place

oh no please don't increase the rent by $3000/month on my leaseless dwelling i'll snake the open sewer pipe myself and install the toilet camera

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh no please don't increase the rent by $3000/month on my leaseless dwelling i'll snake the open sewer pipe myself and install the toilet camera
if you are in an illegal unit and report it then the illegal unit is vacated, e.g. you have no place to live in the most expensive rental market in america

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

if you are in an illegal unit and report it then the illegal unit is vacated, e.g. you have no place to live in the most expensive rental market in america

so? you're out the next time you do anything not perfect anyways
make it work in your favor

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
maybe dont be in san francisco until the bubble pops

after that happens, u will be able to rent an abandoned ballpit for really cheap

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Space-Pope posted:

maybe dont be in san francisco until the bubble pops

after that happens, u will be able to rent an abandoned ballpit for really cheap

nope, all those places bought by foreign money are in it for the long haul, the chinese market crash might even make things worse as those people try to get what they have left to this side of the pacific

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Space-Pope posted:

dont be in san francisco

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

so? you're out the next time you do anything not perfect anyways
make it work in your favor

or if they decide to arbitrarily increase rent for no reason up to "market rates"

or if they start loving you on utilities

or for literally any other reason that renter's laws exist

lol forever if you don't have a lease

tho tbf it protects the landlord just as much as the renter

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

renter protections are so strong in BC that there's literally no benefit to having a lease at all. it just protects the landlord from you leaving

rent increases are capped at 2.5% per year
it takes 6+ months to evict someone if they don't agree to move out

it's great

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

THC posted:

renter protections are so strong in BC that there's literally no benefit to having a lease at all. it just protects the landlord from you leaving

rent increases are capped at 2.5% per year
it takes 6+ months to evict someone if they don't agree to move out

it's great

but what does this have to do with meaningful things like yogscast and white kids you know

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

SmokaDustbowl posted:

but what does this have to do with meaningful things like yogscast and white kids you know
wow ur really upset about not knowing those things in the pics thread

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Space-Pope posted:

wow ur really upset about not knowing those things in the pics thread

lol

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

just 2^460000 images to generate!!

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

qirex posted:

nope, all those places bought by foreign money are in it for the long haul, the chinese market crash might even make things worse as those people try to get what they have left to this side of the pacific

yessssssssssssssssss

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

Bloody posted:

just 2^460000 images to generate!!

But he has a server farm. Only a month!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sounds more like someone's poison womb is filling up disability rolls

• Locked thread