Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

It might just be your battery. My factory battery in my '08 3 didn't quite last 4 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Despite neglecting my car and paint for the past six months, it really cleaned up nicely with some no rinse car wash and clay bar, followed by a sealer.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Your gas door cover offends me, sir.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Google Butt posted:

Your gas door cover offends me, sir.

It's a factory option as far as i know, and the PO is the one to blame if I'm wrong.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

MetaJew posted:

It's a factory option as far as i know, and the PO is the one to blame if I'm wrong.

Yes, it was a factory/dealership option and we should all feel bad about it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Whatever guys, it's better than a decal like on the BRZs and FRSs, and I'm not going to waste my time or money on something I only see when I fill up with gas.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

MetaJew posted:

Whatever guys, it's better than a decal like on the BRZs and FRSs, and I'm not going to waste my time or money on something I only see when I fill up with gas.

I was just messing around man :)

I've been looking at some new tires.. Anyone that has a gen 1 run 225/40/18 on stock wheels? I'm looking at the pilot super sports.

boodah
Dec 22, 2004
boodah the hutt

Google Butt posted:

I was just messing around man :)

I've been looking at some new tires.. Anyone that has a gen 1 run 225/40/18 on stock wheels? I'm looking at the pilot super sports.

I did for quite a while; ran Ventus V12 Evos for a long time. I'm now running 245/40-18 Ventus R-S3 on 8.5 ET 50 wheels (need a roll in the rear, stock suspension).

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

boodah posted:

I did for quite a while; ran Ventus V12 Evos for a long time. I'm now running 245/40-18 Ventus R-S3 on 8.5 ET 50 wheels (need a roll in the rear, stock suspension).

How did that increase in rubber effect the handling? I don't want to go massive, afraid it will feel like poo poo.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I'm thinking about buying an '08 3 Hatchback (grand touring) with 93K miles. I've read a few pages of this thread but not all of them. Anything I should be looking out for? I'm going to check it out tomorrow. The Autocheck on the car is good, and the car is stock and looks clean. I'm sorta bummed it's an automatic, but I think I can deal.

Reliability reports on the internet seem somewhat varied, but I also know people usually only write when something goes wrong. Any thoughts? It's either this or an Acura TSX.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I don't have any experience with the regular 3s, but my 09 MS3 hasn't given me any issues in my five years of ownership. I took it to the dealer twice while it was under warranty. Once for when the passenger door speaker blew itself out, and another time when the door guard trim started coming unglued. Assuming it has been well taken care of, I don't think it would be a bad car.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

grahm posted:

I'm thinking about buying an '08 3 Hatchback (grand touring) with 93K miles. I've read a few pages of this thread but not all of them. Anything I should be looking out for? I'm going to check it out tomorrow. The Autocheck on the car is good, and the car is stock and looks clean. I'm sorta bummed it's an automatic, but I think I can deal.

Reliability reports on the internet seem somewhat varied, but I also know people usually only write when something goes wrong. Any thoughts? It's either this or an Acura TSX.

Is it a speed? Regardless, take it to a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection, a compression and a leakdown test (most important). That's generally the best practice.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

grahm posted:

I've only had mine for six or so months but so far so good. The most disappointing thing about to me is the quality of the paint - especially on the roof it's really thin so I have a bunch of little chips.

E. also I have a rattle in the dash, but I'm 90% sure it is something that got dislodged when the cabin air filter was replaced.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

MetaJew posted:

I don't have any experience with the regular 3s, but my 09 MS3 hasn't given me any issues in my five years of ownership. I took it to the dealer twice while it was under warranty. Once for when the passenger door speaker blew itself out,

Huh, apparently this is more common than I knew, my '11 3 did the same thing. I've been pretty impressed with the sound system overall though.

Also have noise in my dash but a mechanic I asked seemed to think it was fine. The top fan speed seems so drat loud though (and worse on head/floor split).

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

grahm posted:

My 08 had about that many miles on it when I bought it a couple years ago. My experience was that *the* motor mount had already gone bad and was replaced. That was a red flag to me on the carfax report until I realized that it's very common on 3's. Aside from that, the shocks and struts were in poor shape and needed replaced.

So that doesn't really answer your question, but I thought I'd share my experience.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
Thanks for the replies. My situation is: I have a 5-speed 2002 Protege5 with 130K miles and a power steering pump that needs to be replaced. It could probably also use some suspension work and other things that an 14-year-old, 130K mile car with 4 owners needs. I figure I could put 1-2 grand into it and it would be good for a few years. The 08 3 I'm looking at has 93K miles, is an auto/hatchback/grand touring with every option except nav. I could get it for 9K, maybe a tiny bit less.

DO I:

1) deal with my car, fix it, have a slow-ish/loud/unrefined but otherwise ok car for another few years OR

2) spend 9K on the 2008 3, hopefully sell my car for around 4K, and have less money but a better car

3) do something else? Different car? Sell all cars move to the ocean and live on BOAT?

THOUGHTS? I have the money to do it and won't be financing, but part of my thinks I should just deal with my lame slow car for a couple more years. On the other hand, it sucks to put a lot of $$ into an older car that I won't be able to sell for any more, and that's a little unrefined. Idk u guys give me some wisdom. Also,nI don't work on cars myself, so factor me having to pay someone to do repairs into it all.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

What are you looking for in a car? If you're looking for a "fast" Mazda, you should be looking at the Speed, which will run you about 15k for a lowish mileage gen 1.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Google Butt posted:

What are you looking for in a car? If you're looking for a "fast" Mazda, you should be looking at the Speed, which will run you about 15k for a lowish mileage gen 1.

I don't need fast, but reliable and at least somewhat fun is ideal. The top end of my budget is like 9500 though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

grahm posted:

I don't need fast, but reliable and at least somewhat fun is ideal. The top end of my budget is like 9500 though.

Miata Is Always The Answer.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Miata Is Always The Answer.

I wish! I also need to be able to carry drums and people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

grahm posted:

I wish! I also need to be able to carry drums and people.

Get a hard top and a roof rack.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
You can tow with a Miata, right? :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kefkafloyd posted:

You can tow with a Miata, right? :v:

Of course.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

grahm posted:

I've had my 2006 since new and I love it. I don't put many miles on it now so it's at 75k. I put a lot of that in the first few years. It's been reliable. I have a stick shift model though. It's a good car.

image credit to sza

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

I've had my 2006 since new and I love it.
Same and same.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

grahm posted:

I had an '08 sedan grand touring that I owned from new to about 85k. During that time the only unusual things I recall are a power steering line recall, having to replace the serpentine belt and tensioner twice, and five transmission flushes based on the fluid looking burned which seemed a bit excessive at about 18-20k between changes. I don't recall what the maintenance schedule was so maybe that was normal? Fuel efficiency isn't that great either, especially compared to the newer Skyactiv engines. Then again I was doing a 22 mile round trip commute five days a week in heavy traffic so it was really the worst case scenario for the poor thing.

BagOfDucks
Nov 9, 2009
Word of mouth (technician phone conference) at the dealer is a CX-3 in US ports sometime in August.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Honestly, I'd just fix what you have now. If things continue to break or if rust becomes an issue, if that's a problem where you live, then you can still look for another car later on. I'm sure you would be able to find a similar 3 later on.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

mariooncrack posted:

Honestly, I'd just fix what you have now. If things continue to break or if rust becomes an issue, if that's a problem where you live, then you can still look for another car later on. I'm sure you would be able to find a similar 3 later on.

Yeah I think that's what I'll do. I drove that 3 last night and it was nice, but not something I want to spend that much money on.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

I suggest sticking with the old one as well. Unless you start to run into prohibitively costly repairs. Mazda parts are not expensive from what I can tell when looking, at least compared to my piece of poo poo VW that I took very good care of and yet it still managed to suck over $5k in repairs out of my wallet before I folded and traded the VW in.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
I ended up selling my Protege5 because once they got it into the shop it needed $2,000+ of work.

Thinking of buying a 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 with 124K miles for $10K. One owner, always serviced at Mazda, no mods, talked to the Mazda mechanic for a while today and everything checks out, new shocks, brakes, tires, 120K mile service done at Mazda. Needs a new EGR valve and serpentine belt, which will cost under $1,000 (I confirmed that that is all it needs by the Mazda tech, and it'll cost less if I decide to do it somewhere else). What do you all think? High miles for the year but the price seems good, at least for my area. And higher miles means that all of the normal 100-120K services / replacements / problems have been dealt with. Anything I should look out for?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Sounds like a good deal to me. I got my 2008.5 for $15.5 with 50k, bone stock.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

A grand to do the EGR valve and serpentine belt seems really high! I removed and cleaned my EGR a couple of times in my speed6. A serpentine can be done by anyone with no effort at all. With the EGR valve removal you will need to remove a vacuum line from the plastic turbo inlet pipe that is pressed on to this tiny molded plastic nipple that breaks off the second you breathe on it. You can get rid of that horribly formed piece of garbage for a nice smooth silicone inlet pipe from COBB or others for ~$130. Check with the mechanic but I remember one of the local techs telling me the plastic turbo pipe replacement was usually included in the replacement of the EGR because of the broken nipple thing.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
I did it! By far the dopest car I've ever owned / most $$ I've ever withdrawn from my bank account. I'm hoping it lasts me a while.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

A grand to do the EGR valve and serpentine belt seems really high! I removed and cleaned my EGR a couple of times in my speed6. A serpentine can be done by anyone with no effort at all. With the EGR valve removal you will need to remove a vacuum line from the plastic turbo inlet pipe that is pressed on to this tiny molded plastic nipple that breaks off the second you breathe on it. You can get rid of that horribly formed piece of garbage for a nice smooth silicone inlet pipe from COBB or others for ~$130. Check with the mechanic but I remember one of the local techs telling me the plastic turbo pipe replacement was usually included in the replacement of the EGR because of the broken nipple thing.

Yeah the serpentine anyone could do. The Mazda tech who worked on the car said he recommended me getting the EGR done by Mazda because there is some other part(s) they'll know to clean than a non-Mazda mechanic might not necessarily automatically do? I know nothing about cars so I don't know if that's bullshit or real; what I might do is look up what needs to be cleaned online and then tell that to my mechanic, who always does a great job.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Nice, looks clean! I've never seen a white ms3 in person.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I cleaned out the EGR on my MS3 twice, and I even managed to do so without breaking any of those stupid vacuum nubs. It's really not that bad, certainly not a $1k job. Any decent mechanic can sort it out (and probably do it faster than I did).

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

The mazdaspeedforums are a great resource for our cars, pretty much any modification or repair has been discussed or documented there. Beware that it's a dogshit community aside from the information and for sale forum.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
And you need an /annual/ membership to view the for sale section, right?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

MetaJew posted:

And you need an /annual/ membership to view the for sale section, right?

I think it's a $25 donation for access. It was worth it for me because I got a gen 2 fuel pump with AT internals and a v2 AP for a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

That's a great looking hatch. They are really solid cars and I think Mazda got a lot right and proving themselves by not getting too explody when maintained properly and not 2ned with sic modz.