Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seconding you should go overkill and get an n3DSXL. It'll play what you want, and you never know what might come out in the future that suddenly gets your interest.

Going to 3rd it because it takes SDHC memory cards. I just installed a 32GB one, and I no longer fear the estore. Got the 32GB card, which was one of the specified part numbers Nintendo even qvl'd, for 33bux off Amazon about two weeks ago.

Any suggestions on a hardcase to carry a n3dsxl in? I need something reasonably shock-resistant, as it will be going into a hiking backpack with clothes and stuff for a couple hundred miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The new model is like twenty dollars more, you'd be crazy not to jump on it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Zeeman posted:

OK, I know there's a lot of jokes in the thread about using a screwdriver, but seriously, how the gently caress do you get the back of this thing open? I'm using a #0, I can see the screw twirling but nothing happens. I know it doesn't come all the way out but the cover won't come off at all

The screws can't come all the way out so you can't lose them.

When they start clicking with each turn, they're all the way out.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

5er posted:

Going to 3rd it because it takes SDHC memory cards. I just installed a 32GB one, and I no longer fear the estore. Got the 32GB card, which was one of the specified part numbers Nintendo even qvl'd, for 33bux off Amazon about two weeks ago.

Any suggestions on a hardcase to carry a n3dsxl in? I need something reasonably shock-resistant, as it will be going into a hiking backpack with clothes and stuff for a couple hundred miles.

Wow, you got really ripped off for a memory card.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

homeless snail posted:

After you loosen the screws you take the backside of the stylus and pry the back off from the slots on the sides.

You don't even need to use the stylus if you loosen them enough, just grip the little slots with the tips of your fingers. That way you also don't make little dents in the plastic if you're OCD about that kind of thing.

And yes, buy the New.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I don't know if it's been covered since it came out but a bit of skimming showed nothing recently. How good is humanity in chains? Worth grabbing? Wait for a sale? Or complete garbage?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

5er posted:

Look for something like this at Wal-mart, but with diagonal raised ridges. It's like $13 and has survived a couple of drops just fine. I haven't like power bombed it or thrown it off a cliff, and it isn't waterproof, but it should do well enough. Also it holds 8 games.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Got to say, I had to pull the back of the n3DS way harder than I was comfortable with to get it off, I was actually afraid I'd break the thing.

Also, I used my PC for the system transfer and basically had a panic attack when my old 3DS said it was formatting before I got everything off the SD card. Seriously Nintendo, just have something saying "3DS is formatting, but your SD card is still OK"

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzz posted:

Wow, you got really ripped off for a memory card.

Seriously. That's more expensive than most 64GB mSDs now.

Zeeman posted:

Got to say, I had to pull the back of the n3DS way harder than I was comfortable with to get it off, I was actually afraid I'd break the thing.

I had that problem the first time. Last night when I replaced my 16GB card with a 64GB one it came off a lot easier. I guess since I already knew how much I actually had to try to pull it off and wasn't afraid of breaking it this time.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Flagrama posted:

Seriously. That's more expensive than most 64GB mSDs now.

It's more than double what I paid for my 32GB card.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOE put another 18-slot game case on Club Nintend, 1750 Stars: http://stars.nintendo-europe.com/products/club-nintendo-game-card-case--2nd-edition-461

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's 1000 stars on the Australian Club Nintendo.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Looking to get a Harvest Moon type game for my sister. Which one is the best choice on 3ds?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ubisoft is releasing a Gravity Falls game for 3DS, no developer mentioned. Gravity Falls is a thing people care about, right?

Gaffle posted:

Looking to get a Harvest Moon type game for my sister. Which one is the best choice on 3ds?

Story of Seasons.

PapFinn
Jul 15, 2003

I am Ron Pearlman's illigitimate love child.
I just bought the stupid loving New 3DS XL. The newest thing I've encountered so far is that this is probably the first electronic gadget that I've bought in my entire life that doesn't come with the cord you need to plug the loving thing in. I'm honestly at a loss for words.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gaffle posted:

Story of Seasons is the most recent Harvest Moon (but is not actually called Harvest Moon for legal reasons)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

PapFinn posted:

I just bought the stupid loving New 3DS XL. The newest thing I've encountered so far is that this is probably the first electronic gadget that I've bought in my entire life that doesn't come with the cord you need to plug the loving thing in. I'm honestly at a loss for words.

Nintendo did it to help drive up the sales of those dudes selling $2 USB ones on ebay. Good on Nintendo.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

PapFinn posted:

Is this a bit? Were you not around when every 12 year-old (from the US, because this is pretty standard in other regions) on the internet was losing their poo poo over this for like a solid month before and after the release of the n3DS? I'm honestly at a loss for words.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

PapFinn posted:

Lol. The box says it doesn't come with one. Front and back. You were supposed to buy the previous version and use that adaptor. What kind of Nintendo fan are you? :mad:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

deadly_pudding posted:

Is this a bit? Were you not around when every 12 year-old (from the US, because this is pretty standard in other regions) on the internet was losing their poo poo over this for like a solid month before and after the release of the n3DS? I'm honestly at a loss for words.

Not everyone can be like me and read every Something Awful thread even for things you don't own.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

mycot posted:

Not everyone can be like me and read every Something Awful thread even for things you don't own.

But it's on the box.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I mean, he's not surprised that it doesn't come with one, like he opened it and saw there wasn't one. But moreso that he hadn't bought a new electronic...thing...in awhile and he's surprised that it's somehow ok to distribute something without a charger

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
US dudes, Costco has Majora's Mask for $27.99: http://www.costco.com/The-Legend-of-Zelda%3a-Majora's-Mask-Nintendo-3DS-Video-Game.product.100149281.html

EDIT: sold out?

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 9, 2015

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Wamdoodle posted:

Lol. The box says it doesn't come with one. Front and back. You were supposed to buy the previous version and use that adaptor. What kind of Nintendo fan are you? :mad:

It's still dumb as poo poo. I absolutely bought a New 3DS even though I already owned a 3DS, but gently caress if that wasn't a lovely decision on their part that was a total slap to the face of the consumers and made them look totally cheap. Don't defend that decision.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

the watch edition of Zero Escape 3 is $39.99 and available at amazon.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Fremry posted:

It's still dumb as poo poo. I absolutely bought a New 3DS even though I already owned a 3DS, but gently caress if that wasn't a lovely decision on their part that was a total slap to the face of the consumers and made them look totally cheap. Don't defend that decision.

:laffo: Yes, because I was 110% serious. :downswords:

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

glassyalabolas posted:

this is cool and good and thank you

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Goons, I have a predicament, and I want to see if you have a solution.

I want a 3DS. It has many games I want to play, and is a fun system. I enjoyed it while I had it before, back around FE:A's launch.

My problem is I loving HATE handhelds. I find it hard to stay comfortable when playing games on a handheld. I walk to work, and it's a 15 minute walk both ways, so I don't have a long bus ride to play handhelds on. I don't get breaks, so I can't play handheld games there either. It's basically me sitting on my couch feeling stupid as I play games on this dinky rear end little screen while I have this big nice TV/comfy setup specifically designed for gaming right across from me.

Is there any way yet to output 3DS to a TV/Monitor, turning the 3DS into little more then a controller/bottom screen setup? Cost doesn't bother me, as long as it works. I realize it'd likely be upscaled and look fuzzy, I'm ok with that. I mainly want the convenience.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rookersh posted:

I want a 3DS. It has many games I want to play, and is a fun system. I enjoyed it while I had it before, back around FE:A's launch.

My problem is I loving HATE handhelds. I find it hard to stay comfortable when playing games on a handheld. I walk to work, and it's a 15 minute walk both ways, so I don't have a long bus ride to play handhelds on. I don't get breaks, so I can't play handheld games there either. It's basically me sitting on my couch feeling stupid as I play games on this dinky rear end little screen while I have this big nice TV/comfy setup specifically designed for gaming right across from me.

Is there any way yet to output 3DS to a TV/Monitor, turning the 3DS into little more then a controller/bottom screen setup? Cost doesn't bother me, as long as it works. I realize it'd likely be upscaled and look fuzzy, I'm ok with that. I mainly want the convenience.

Nope, sorry. You could get a WiiU for the VERY small catalogue of DS games on the eShop if you really wanted a setup like that.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Rookersh posted:

Do you have five to six hundred dollars?
http://www.3dsvideocapture.com/

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Yes I do, and done. Let's check this poo poo out.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Good. I can do my video let's play of SMT IV now.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

glassyalabolas posted:

With Zero Escape 2 Amazon didn't get enough watches and a bunch of people missed out, including me. They gave me a $17 credit to make up for it. Anyway, just a heads up.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Rookersh posted:

Yes I do, and done. Let's check this poo poo out.

Honestly the real solution to your dilemma is to just poop more. Then you can play all you want!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Louisgod posted:

With Zero Escape 2 Amazon didn't get enough watches and a bunch of people missed out, including me. They gave me a $17 credit to make up for it. Anyway, just a heads up.

Which must be why preorders ran out so quickly this time.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

EightFlyingCars posted:

Honestly the real solution to your dilemma is to just poop more. Then you can play all you want!

If he's willing to drop $500-$600 to play on a TV set do you really think he doesn't have a toilet in his livingroom already? Only peasants game on the toilet with displays smaller than 60".

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I never have my 3DS leave the home, I just play in my bed. :shrug:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Does the frame rate drop in Fantasy Life for anyone else when you're running around an area with lots of npc's or enemies? Just wondering if the several times I've dropped my 3DS have done something to it. This is literally the only game I experience performance issues with.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't recall any major framerate drops in Fantasy Life but I also doubt you'd have framerate drops because you dropped your 3DS either

For the most part it was a smooth 30, and I know what bad framerate is because I'm playing New Little Kings Story right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Louisgod posted:

It's already sold out :v:.