Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wanted to try expert mode but I'm worried it makes the bosses a complete pain in the rear end to deal with. That's always been my problem with this game. Once you get past the really early game, regular enemies are by and large a non issue. Even in the supposedly dangerous areas I never feel threatened much. If enemies just did more damage then I might have to be worried about dieing, but the bosses have enough damage and health already so I don't want to make them even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I wanted to try expert mode but I'm worried it makes the bosses a complete pain in the rear end to deal with. That's always been my problem with this game. Once you get past the really early game, regular enemies are by and large a non issue. Even in the supposedly dangerous areas I never feel threatened much. If enemies just did more damage then I might have to be worried about dieing, but the bosses have enough damage and health already so I don't want to make them even worse.

I'm sorry to tell you that you didn't actually want to try expert mode.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Sjonnar posted:

And why do you keep your booty in the bilge?

So when they search u they don't find it?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Expert mode is for individual maps, just make a new one and try it out for a while. :shrug: You may like it, you may not.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Is there a good map editor for 1.3? I tried TEdit 3.5 but it keeps giving me an error when I try to open any existing world.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Is there a good map editor for 1.3? I tried TEdit 3.5 but it keeps giving me an error when I try to open any existing world.

This version worked for me: http://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/3cjurf/tedit_for_13_has_been_experimentally_released/

GrunderGretch
Aug 2, 2011
Played for 8 straight hours at work today, got some really fun gear. Golden pickaxe, nightvision helmet, grappling hook, 2 special boots, demonite ore..

And then I come home; everythings gone.. i've got wooden armor again.

Steam cloud may or may not be finicky.

It hurts to live.

It's my first time playing terraria and this really put a damper on things.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

GrunderGretch posted:

Played for 8 straight hours at work today, got some really fun gear. Golden pickaxe, nightvision helmet, grappling hook, 2 special boots, demonite ore..

And then I come home; everythings gone.. i've got wooden armor again.

Steam cloud may or may not be finicky.

It hurts to live.

It's my first time playing terraria and this really put a damper on things.

This is why God gave us inventory editors.

GrunderGretch
Aug 2, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is why God gave us inventory editors.

I'm feeling really guilty about using it but I need my stuff back.

On i side note, are there "good" servers up? I'm a scrub and i want to learn.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dr. Fetus posted:

For you creative folks, how do you plan out your stuff?

Plan? :downs:

Honestly I don't plan much. It's basically about what looks right. Which often results in me building contentedly for five minutes, looking at it, going "No, that's wrong," and ripping half of it out again to redo it.

And even then it's wrong, because what looks right can't hold jack poo poo. Like the tower in my most recent shot. I figured five floors strictly for crafting stations should work, but I don't actually know how many special 3x3 crafting stations there are, and may wind up piling some elsewhere. Then the hammer at the top is way too small for its purpose. You can see I had to stick the minion altar on top of the table, and if you look closely, I had to stick the Shiverthorn planter boxes on the ends of the rows for the other plants. Likewise the fishing lodge. If I fish up a Rockfish or the Angler gives me another trophy, I'm totally out of space there.

Although for general building tips, buy both the Ruler from the Goblin Tinker and the Mechanical Ruler from the Mechanic. They're both very useful for just gauging distances and lines and such. The Extendo-Grip (From the Traveling Merchant, I think?) is also a handy building accessory. Sometimes I'll build a frame of dirt or a scaffold of platforms, but wings and an Ivy Hook make for excellent building tools as well.

e: One thing I have done previously is get some quadrille/graph paper (Available in the school supplies at most major retailers) and just sketch out the shape. Although typically you don't lose much by having to rip up half the building and redo it, knowing what you're doing ahead of time is always a big help.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 9, 2015

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i appreciate that you kept the goblin and the mechanic together

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

oddium posted:

So I'm wondering if there has ever been anyone who made a house of pixel art Terrarian Gothic.

And housed Goblin and Mechanic in it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

oddium posted:

Honestly that's just how they moved in, and each keeps asking if I just saw the other one. :v:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

GrunderGretch posted:

I'm feeling really guilty about using it but I need my stuff back.

It's also useful when you don't have the time to wait around for the travelling merchant to come back with more dynasty stuff. You're using it to have more fun, dude.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Wolpertinger posted:

Having now beat normal mode, I really wish they'd put a mode between normal and expert mode, or rebalance expert mode some - Normal mode is mostly a faceroll outside of the moon lord stuff, but doing expert mode with a few friends was really fun up until skeletron - we /nearly/ beat him enough that I'm sure we could have managed with a little more work, but from what I've heard and seen hardmode bosses are just flat out unfair. Requiring near-perfect dodging just isn't reasonable with all that extreme damage bosses start doing on expert.

Having an expert-lite where things are tougher and nastier and a little smarter without some of the super-bullshit some of the expert mode bosses pull would be nice. I mean we could go do it with our lunar gear now but that wouldn't be as fun.

Plus, treasure bags are waaaaaaaaaay nicer than the single-drops from normal mode - trying to farm for some specific boss drops on normal mode is just pure torture, and double droprate in general make some rarer items feel much less obnoxious. Never been a big fan of any item that all but requires an afkfarm trap setup anyway

In my multiplayer game our boss kills so far have gone:

EoC-> BoC -> Queen Bee, and the Queen Bee's drops will make stuff like Skeletron infinitely easier to deal with. Especially the flying Bee mount since you can use it to run away, then warp back to your bed, and repeat.

All while you have 3 imp minions nuke him in addition to all the bees from your bee gun.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Especially the flying Bee mount

the what now?

e: holy poo poo! I didn't know that existed! awesome.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Word of warning to people

Terraria does not like you stealing resources from other worlds and bringing it back to your main one. I spent hours mining Granite biomes. had about 40 stacks ready to so i could, for the first time ever, make a REAL building.

Moved all the granite to my primary world, had to go do some shopping, and when i came back, the Granite was gone from my primary world chests. I checked the temp chests i made to hold it on the other worlds, and those were empty as well.
Guess its time to go back to starbound :(

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

grimcreaper posted:

Word of warning to people

Terraria does not like you stealing resources from other worlds and bringing it back to your main one. I spent hours mining Granite biomes. had about 40 stacks ready to so i could, for the first time ever, make a REAL building.

Moved all the granite to my primary world, had to go do some shopping, and when i came back, the Granite was gone from my primary world chests. I checked the temp chests i made to hold it on the other worlds, and those were empty as well.
Guess its time to go back to starbound :(

I do this constantly and haven't noticed anything disappearing. Though currently I'm building a full NPC town deep in the caverns of the large world I made specifically to look around for a lava charm, just for the hell of it.

Anyway, you did the work so don't feel bad about using an inventory editor to get the granite you need.

Unrelated: I understand that having the Dryad nearby when you're fighting bad guys gives you a +8 defense bonus. That would seem pretty handy against the early game bosses (Skeletron and BoC come to mind for sure). Anyone tried moving her into a house in their arena for this purpose?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So while I'm setting up each room with each of the armors in both male and female variants, somehow I notice they managed to give the female cactus armor boob window. Also it annoys me that Dynasty wood has no platforms.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I tried to make a Greek temple. Any suggestions to make it better or more interesting?

I really wish I could paint those mannequins white so they'd look like a marble relief sculpture :(

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
I just spent an entire invasion farming Martian Saucers and I got every single drop except the car key at least once... My video game luck must have run out.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

wow all those banners clog up your inventory really quickly

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mountaineer posted:

I tried to make a Greek temple. Any suggestions to make it better or more interesting?

I really wish I could paint those mannequins white so they'd look like a marble relief sculpture :(

Statues. Statues everywhere. It's a very greek thing.

Possibly also put it on top of a hill.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Just one shot Skeletron in expert. A simple arena with heart lantern and bonfire combined with basic buffs yielded a clean kill. There isn't anything special in the expert dungeon right? I'm going to need to go to another world to get abeemonation materials but oh well.

I'm using ranged gear right now, switching between a minishark for bosses and shotgun for mobs. I've been lucky with reforges on accessories and have 3/5 warding with the others armored and hard. That 6th slot is going to be incredible.

Any tips for expert wall of flesh? Beenades and what else?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Just one shot Skeletron in expert. A simple arena with heart lantern and bonfire combined with basic buffs yielded a clean kill. There isn't anything special in the expert dungeon right? I'm going to need to go to another world to get abeemonation materials but oh well.

I'm using ranged gear right now, switching between a minishark for bosses and shotgun for mobs. I've been lucky with reforges on accessories and have 3/5 warding with the others armored and hard. That 6th slot is going to be incredible.

Beenades and a ranged piercing or splash damage weapon. Water bolt or demon scythe for magic, and a bow using unholy or hellfire arrows for conventional ranged. Melee can do well with the mace weapons (sunfury or blue moon) or a yo-yo if you've got all the extra poo poo for those but expert WoF gets really fast at the end of the fight and you'll be much closer to it as melee so it's a bit riskier.

e: Use the bows until you get rid of all its stupid tentacle things, then switch to the minishark. When the WoF first spawns it's got this cloud of stupid tentacle things in front of it that keep you away from it and block nonpiercing attacks.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 9, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Maximum Bee Power. Beenades and Bee's Knees.

Combined with the Hive Pack.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is the slime saddle a guaranteed drop from King Slime despite what the wiki says? I've killed him 3 times and got the saddle each time.

By the way, crate potions are awesome. Biome crates still incredibly rare though, and they aren't even guaranteed to have a chest item in them.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RatHat posted:

Is the slime saddle a guaranteed drop from King Slime despite what the wiki says? I've killed him 3 times and got the saddle each time.

By the way, crate potions are awesome. Biome crates still incredibly rare though, and they aren't even guaranteed to have a chest item in them.

Not remotely. Just luck on your part, I guess.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mountaineer posted:

Paint it like the ancient greeks did.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
GASP what is THIS

Oh my lord rainbow bricks are a real thing

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
How do I use the clentaminator to get my jungle back? It looks like the green solution just turns it back into the default biome.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I got a medusa head from those stupid things hitting me while I fish. I have no idea if its even worth using but it'll make a nice trophy at least. loving medusas are the worst.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

DarkAvenger211 posted:

How do I use the clentaminator to get my jungle back? It looks like the green solution just turns it back into the default biome.

I think the green solution only turns Mushroom into Jungle. There isn't a straight up Jungle solution.

Internet Kraken posted:

I got a medusa head from those stupid things hitting me while I fish. I have no idea if its even worth using but it'll make a nice trophy at least. loving medusas are the worst.

It's actually pretty amazing Pre-hardmode. Gigantic AoE. As in, pretty much screen-wide.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So if I want to fill a space with lava or water or honey I have to transport it by the bucket full, right?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Nuebot posted:

So if I want to fill a space with lava or water or honey I have to transport it by the bucket full, right?

Just take one bucketful and then use the duplication trick. http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Guide:Making_liquid

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Just had two Martian Invasions within two minutes of each other. I swear I got every drop that you could have gotten during it and then some (3 drat Cosmic Car Keys).

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Nuebot posted:

Ignoring the infinite water bucket for the moment, they can also be transported via pumps, which combined with second timers will do it for you.

Of course, this involves building a wiring line clear from the source to the output location. And can't be used to generate infinite water anymore, so you can't just grab a couple buckets and use that to make the rest.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

flowinprose posted:

Just take one bucketful and then use the duplication trick. http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Guide:Making_liquid

Those are all complicated and I'm pretty dumb.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Yes. Keep in mind buckets stack so you can move quite a lot at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

flowinprose posted:

This doesn't actually work anymore, unfortunately. They apparently had to fix it in order to make the more realistic liquid flow they added to 1.3 work.