Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The establishment cares in so much as they want to win a national election some time. Don't try and act like the party wants meaningful results.

Right they don't want meaningful results, which is why they are presenting and passing legislation to get meaningful results. Makes perfect sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

His involvement is a plus for Bush. Every minute the camera is on him, every minute the media is talking his latest action, is a minute they are not focusing on and talking about someone who can actually beat Bush

The polls since Trump entered the race seem to bear this out:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Pinterest Mom posted:

Donald!

:allears:

Bonus: debate prep is for schmucks

I knew this election was going to be great but I didn't expect it to get this good this fast

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Slate Action posted:

This angers me and I desire Bush to collapse.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Their biggest issue is that they have absolutely no quality candidates. None.

After watching the full CNN interview with Hillary, I feel much better about our chances this time.

She visibly calculates almost every response, seems extremely stiff and uncomfortable with being challenged, and said several laughably untrue things. She's going to rattle hard on a debate stage.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fried Chicken posted:

Right they don't want meaningful results, which is why they are presenting and passing legislation to get meaningful results. Makes perfect sense.

Let me know when comprehensive immigration reform is on their platform in a year.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Nonsense posted:

This angers me and I desire Bush to collapse.

Lol if you didn't know Bush was going to be the nominee since the start

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

TheDisreputableDog posted:

After watching the full CNN interview with Hillary, I feel much better about our chances this time.

She visibly calculates almost every response, seems extremely stiff and uncomfortable with being challenged, and said several laughably untrue things. She's going to rattle hard on a debate stage.

She could literally execute a Fox News reporter live on air, and she'd still win in every cross-tab.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fried Chicken posted:

Lol if you didn't know Bush was going to be the nominee since november 5th, 2012

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Let me know when comprehensive immigration reform is on their platform in a year.

I love how you said something manifestly false and now rather than being an adult and saying "oops, I forgot about that" you are trying to pretend documented history didn't happen

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The establishment cares in so much as they want to win a national election some time. Don't try and act like the party wants meaningful results.

The establishment is firmly in the pocket of big business and they want cheap labor. More immigrants increases the labor supply. If the demand stays down then hey look we can suddenly pay less, horray! "More money for us, gently caress you" is still the perfect summation of what they want.

Which goes at odds against their increasingly insane base that wants to build literal trenches full of more tires than have ever existed along the border because gently caress you.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Did you follow the 2008 primaries or watch the debates at all?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

mintskoal posted:

Did you follow the 2008 primaries or watch the debates at all?

Oh where she got wiped because every message was a disconnected but carefully constructed poll triangulation rather than a believable narrative that exposed an underlying ideology?

Yes.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

I guess you see what you want to see. I see someone who's spent over 20 years being witch-hunted by the media because of her husband, remaining calm and collected in the face of someone who is trying to rattle her.

Not once in 2008 did I see Hillary Clinton lose her composure on a debate stage, so if you're hoping for that, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Nonsense posted:

She could literally execute a Fox News reporter live on air, and she'd still win in every cross-tab.

Her numbers among liberals would skyrocket, that's for sure :v:

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 9, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Oh where she got wiped because every message was a disconnected but carefully constructed poll triangulation rather than a believable narrative that exposed an underlying ideology?

Yes.

She lost an exceptionally close primary race to a once in a generation campaigner. Which, uh, *looks at Republican field* you ain't got.

Fried Chicken posted:

I love how you said something manifestly false and now rather than being an adult and saying "oops, I forgot about that" you are trying to pretend documented history didn't happen

Was phone posting before, but: saying that Bush's immigration support represents the current Republican establishment is laughable (he was also something out an outlier even then.)

My further contention was that if the establishment /really/ wanted it, it would have happened in 2013. It's not like Boehner couldn't have put up immigration w/o a Republican majority. Like it's pretty hard to say that the Republican Party supports immigration reform, when not a single one of their standard bearers will say so openly, or even continue to support previous positions.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The establishment is firmly in the pocket of big business and they want cheap labor. More immigrants increases the labor supply. If the demand stays down then hey look we can suddenly pay less, horray! "More money for us, gently caress you" is still the perfect summation of what they want.

Which goes at odds against their increasingly insane base that wants to build literal trenches full of more tires than have ever existed along the border because gently caress you.

I'll allow that the business wing of the party does support it, and that's obviously who's pushing this for Reince to do; but let's not at all pretend that the Republicans, given the presidency, would pass immigration reform, or that it will come up on their platform in a year.

Alter Ego posted:

Not once in 2008 did I see Hillary Clinton lose her composure on a debate stage, so if you're hoping for that, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

She got a little fresh with Barack once or twice; but compared to McCain calling him "That One."

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Nonsense posted:

I'd vote for her over Bernie in the primary if she did this. I'd even settle for a CNN reporter.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I'll allow that the business wing of the party does support it, and that's obviously who's pushing this for Reince to do; but let's not at all pretend that the Republicans, given the presidency, would pass immigration reform, or that it will come up on their platform in a year.

Yeah instead of immigration reform I'd imagine they'd be more about building more prisons and using prisoners as literal slave labor because gently caress it you don't even really have to pay them.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah instead of immigration reform I'd imagine they'd be more about building more prisons and using prisoners as literal slave labor because gently caress it you don't even really have to pay them.

Really, you'e doing them a favor if you think about it. They're being productive.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
do you think corporate hitmans will take out bernie sanders like they did bobby kennedy :tinfoil:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Vox's trolling is p good.

http://www.vox.com/2015/7/9/8922395/Joe-Biden-run-president

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Was phone posting before, but: saying that Bush's immigration support represents the current Republican establishment is laughable (he was also something out an outlier even then.)
so that the current republican establishment is the same crew as the Bush years, right down to his brother, and has pushed heavily on its "we need immigration reform" position in papers and statements from party leaders like Priebus and Romney, and, oh yeah, passed an immigration reform bill written by establishment figure Marco Rubio, but this means they are nothing like Bush and aren't pushing for the same goals. Gotcha.

quote:

My further contention was that if the establishment /really/ wanted it, it would have happened in 2013. It's not like Boehner couldn't have put up immigration w/o a Republican majority. Like it's pretty hard to say that the Republican Party supports immigration reform, when not a single one of their standard bearers will say so openly, or even continue to support previous positions.
you literally had Bush out for it yesterday. Not 24 hours ago. He was blasting back against the nativist position and saying we needed reform - that's what lead to Trump making the comment about his wife.

quote:

given the presidency they did attempt to pass it. Without the presidency, they still attempted to pass it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Young Orc

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I'd vote for her over Bernie in the primary if she did this. I'd even settle for a CNN reporter.

:wow:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

so that the current republican establishment is the same crew as the Bush years, right down to his brother, and has pushed heavily on its "we need immigration reform" position in papers and statements from party leaders like Priebus and Romney, and, oh yeah, passed an immigration reform bill written by establishment figure Marco Rubio, but this means they are nothing like Bush and aren't pushing for the same goals. Gotcha.
you literally had Bush out for it yesterday. Not 24 hours ago. He was blasting back against the nativist position and saying we needed reform - that's what lead to Trump making the comment about his wife.
given the presidency they did attempt to pass it. Without the presidency, they still attempted to pass it.

A bill which Marco Rubio has ran away from. Again, if they wanted it, they could have passed it and haven't. It's the very definition of lip service.

But sure, continue to tell me how the Republican party is pro-immigration.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Lastgirl posted:

do you think corporate hitmans will take out bernie sanders like they did bobby kennedy :tinfoil:

Maybe, but I'd imagine Donald might catch a Koch bullet if he keeps his antics up.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Yes.

Yes, the ones where she gave carefully rehearsed replies to debate questions instead of going off the rails about Mexicans/Arabs/African-Americans/homosexuals/etc. I'm ok with that.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Slate Action posted:

The fun conspiracy theory is that's why he's in it in the first place. To distract from Bush! No one's talking about how bad it would be to have another bush, but instead laughing at the clown! Plus bush looks better by comparison.

Regardless, he must know he never stood a chance in the first place, so why run?

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Why is "carefully rehearsed" a desirable trait when delivery is obviously fake?

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Because gaffes (perceived or otherwise) don't poll well?

e: unless you're Trump, I guess.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

pwnyXpress posted:

I would way rather have a candidate that's not going to gently caress up, even if its "fake" compared to unpredictable and likely to say something really crazy or prone to misinterpretation.

Biden's been a great VP, for example; but he'd be an ulcer for the DNC as the nominee.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

RaySmuckles posted:

Regardless, he must know he never stood a chance in the first place, so why run?

Pride? Attention whoring? For the hell of it?

One need not have rational reasons to run.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Slate Action posted:

the best part of this is how Kasich somehow seems to be running negative

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

pwnyXpress posted:

Why is "natural delivery" a desirable trait in proposals for national policy? Sure if she's being asked what her favorite flavor of ice cream is, or about Chelsea's wedding or whatever, but even then.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Between this clown ride and the NFL/NBA offseasons, non-entertainment entertainment has been at an all time high.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Nessus posted:

Why is "natural delivery" a desirable trait in proposals for national policy? Sure if she's being asked what her favorite flavor of ice cream is, or about Chelsea's wedding or whatever, but even then.

Because it says a lot about their political ideology, which they should always be forthcoming about. People who carefully hide their ideology behind words and are in constant fear of public perception tend to be crazy or paranoid.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Nessus posted:

Why is "natural delivery" a desirable trait in proposals for national policy?

Because convincing people that you're right and believe what you're saying is literally the job of a politician?

Regardless if you're talking to constituents, the legislature, your own staff, etc.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
No, I mean who cares how rehearsed her talking points are if they're just empty words to win an election, after which she can easily change her positions again?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

the best part of this is how Kasich somehow seems to be running negative

As an Ohioan who grew up in his district back when he was a rep, I absolutely agree. I am so sick of this rear end in a top hat, I don't care how moderate he supposedly is, I am going to love watching him amount to nothing nationally.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Job Truniht posted:

Because it says a lot about their political ideology, which they should always be forthcoming about. People who carefully hide their ideology behind words and are in constant fear of public perception tend to be crazy or paranoid.

Given that she's spent the last 20+ years under constant media scrutiny for a litany of made up bullshit, I think her animosity and caution with the media is somewhat fair.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I'd probably arrest media people if I could for vague things. Hillary is a saint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Job Truniht posted:

People who carefully hide their ideology behind words and are in constant fear of public perception tend to be crazy or paranoid.

Or running for office. :v:

• Locked thread