Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Man, how can someone join a Suicidal game, see that we have literally 3 Medics, two of whom are level 25 (and one which doesn't even have Armorer and Vaccination), and think "I should go Medic"?

4 Medics and 2 Commandos (one of whom was level 2) against 3 Fleshpounds and 7 Scrakes? Yeah, good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I'm officially hype again. Please kill my blue balls Tripwire.

Is the Berserker/melee rebuild coming in this patch as well? That would technically make it three new perks...

Yeah, the melee refactoring and perk balancing is coming out with the incinerate and detonate update. Some perks are getting more adjusted than others but, yeah, Berserker is going to get some serious changes.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Questioner86 posted:

Yeah, the melee refactoring and perk balancing is coming out with the incinerate and detonate update. Some perks are getting more adjusted than others but, yeah, Berserker is going to get some serious changes.

That's mega hype. Looking forward to hopefully playing it soon!

Also, IMHO, this should be on by default:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=110072

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

One of the problems I keep having with berzerker is trying to get kills/exp while staying near the team. It's really easy to get surrounded and cut off with any perk, but sticking with the crew means everything gets its head blown clean off its shoulders while you're winding up a righteous crovel bash.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

FAUXTON posted:

One of the problems I keep having with berzerker is trying to get kills/exp while staying near the team. It's really easy to get surrounded and cut off with any perk, but sticking with the crew means everything gets its head blown clean off its shoulders while you're winding up a righteous crovel bash.

Try to focus on the big guys. If you tag an enemy once, you get full experience, so you might want to fire into a crowd a bit if there aren't any scrakes, husks, or flesh pounds.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
One of the strange new strategies with the new experience system is 'tagging' zeds for future XP. I try to put at least a single pistol round into every Scrake and FP I see no matter what class I am, then 2 minutes later I get 35XP when the rest of the team finally takes it down. So far it's only happened once that that single pistol shot ended up raging the Scrake :downs:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Please release this soon and kill my chance at being productive this July. Thanks.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Anyone up for some killing flours? I haven't played in a while but looking to shoot zeds with some people.

nvm bed time. maybe another night.

Inside Out Mom fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 4, 2015

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sweet Christ Hans is a monster on HoE.

Your team needs to be on point or he just crushes you so effortlessly.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Alteisen posted:

Sweet Christ Hans is a monster on HoE.

Your team needs to be on point or he just crushes you so effortlessly.

Hans is kind of bullshit, period. I really hope he gets tuned.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Skoll posted:

I honestly wonder if the devs' idea was to make the Hans fight more of a running battle, with everyone getting the gently caress out when he throws the gas. Right now the tactics seem to be more "find an open area and just pour fire on him while dodging gas" but if they dedicate an entire "wave" to him (and a small posse of zeds) maybe they wanted it to take as long as any other wave.

That said, he needs to be tuned for sure, that gas is bullshit, his guns are bullshit, his vampire thing is bullshit, but his utterly massive pool of HP is what really sends all that bullshit into overdrive relative to the difficulty of the preceding waves. Even if he was supposed to be something that chases the crew through alleyways he's way out of spec.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

FAUXTON posted:

I honestly wonder if the devs' idea was to make the Hans fight more of a running battle, with everyone getting the gently caress out when he throws the gas. Right now the tactics seem to be more "find an open area and just pour fire on him while dodging gas" but if they dedicate an entire "wave" to him (and a small posse of zeds) maybe they wanted it to take as long as any other wave.

That said, he needs to be tuned for sure, that gas is bullshit, his guns are bullshit, his vampire thing is bullshit, but his utterly massive pool of HP is what really sends all that bullshit into overdrive relative to the difficulty of the preceding waves. Even if he was supposed to be something that chases the crew through alleyways he's way out of spec.
Maybe I am not good at KF2 but the basic mechanic of Hans seems un-fun. It's giving me flashbacks to World of Warcraft, where boss success is down to doing a safety dance where you move in a specific pattern to avoid damage and just don't gently caress up until the boss is done with phases and dies. The healing-phase mechanic means every phase before the final one is essentially pointless, your only job is not to die, so any kind of heroic balls-out DPSing is completely worthless. To me burning a boss down with insane DPS at severe risk to yourself should be a perfectly valid strategy.

Right now it seems like as long as you don't cluster together, keep moving, and don't let yourself get trapped in a corner by gas or grenades its really hard to gently caress up the Hans fight. I mean my pubbie groups fail all the time at it, but there's not really any good reason for that.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 7, 2015

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

Hans is lame.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SinineSiil posted:

Hans is lame.

:agreed:

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So I played this game again recently with some friends and there are people who still don't know how the Hans fight works. There needs to be way better communication for his mechanics, because the pubbies in the game got pants making GBS threads mad that I was "feeding" hans during his drain phase :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure one of them was rank 13 in whatever dumb perk he had.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
While I don't doubt those players were drooling League rejects, the fact that so few players understand the boss fight speaks more to his poor design.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Shumagorath posted:

While I don't doubt those players were drooling League rejects, the fact that so few players understand the boss fight speaks more to his poor design.
I feel like the boss healing should be an avoidable punishment for doing badly, like if you don't kill him within a certain amount of time he grabs someone and heals and you have to do it again.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Alereon posted:

I feel like the boss healing should be an avoidable punishment for doing badly, like if you don't kill him within a certain amount of time he grabs someone and heals and you have to do it again.

To be fair, a lot of people didnt like the fact that you could cheese Patriarch before his first heal.

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013
Here's an idea: make Hans's head poppable, and then have his power suit go on autopilot and use a melee-only moveset. Under concentrated fire, that scrawny sonofabitch's head should be gone by phase two.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've only beaten Hans twice and by that I mean the team eventually won. Is there a goon steam group? Kinda tired of playing with pubbies who buy weapons not suited for their class and wonder why they died in the second wave.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skoll posted:

Eh he doesn't bother me to much, my main gripe is his guns, even at medium range one burst from it can potentially kill you.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Pretty cool WWAUT from the KF2 forums:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=110591

They're optimizing the audio and making new maps!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I do like that they're trying to get positional audio to be better - looks to be pretty nice, even without the CPU cycle performance optimization.

obligatory "perks, drat it" comment though, just to get it out of the way

e: oh map voting is going to be nice. Right now we basically have to have a server admin around to play any kind of customs, soon we won't. Glad that's making it in sooner rather than later.

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 7, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

Eh he doesn't bother me to much, my main gripe is his guns, even at medium range one burst from it can potentially kill you.

Even as a filthy casual who stays out of HoE, I'd figure the problem with a "running battle" against Hans is that a running battle means you likely will not have ready access to cover when he whips out his guns on you.

80% of the time when I die to Hans in kiddy land of Hard mode and my (unsuccessful) dabbling in suicidal, it's the guns. Then it's a15%/5% split between "Another player body blocked/shut the doors on me from escaping his grenades" or "Whoops! Stabbed to death."

HOWEVER, I feel the Drain/Resistance mechanic itself is fine. It is merely the obtuse "oh my god why didn't these idiots google up boss fights ahead of time :rolleyes:" part that reminds me of the bad parts of MMO gaming.

Comedy option once Demo comes out and everyone can bring a stack of C4 to the fight. C4 causes friendly fire. "Your sacrifice holding Hans in place will be remembered fondly."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 8, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Much like scrakes, running in a straight line away from Hans gets you wrecked, but circlestrafing him and using environmental cover to break line of sight works wonders.

I find Hans doesn't go for the guns very often if you don't get too far away. Circling him lets you dodge the grenade party ... mostly. :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The guns just need to be tuned down a bit. I usually contemplate turning the game off if I get to a hans wave, because he's so bullshit to fight. Either it'll go nicely and he won't instakill me, or he'll turn around and 360n0sc0p3 with his machine guns and i'll be dead in seconds. It doesn't seem like I get much choice in which he does either.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea but circlestrafing is going away soon so I'm trying not to depend on it, most you can do is try to bait him into meleeing you and sidestepping but its random if he'll shoot you instead.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
The hope is that when they fix circle strafing they also improve blocking so the fight shouldn't change much.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
And while Hans USUALLY only uses his SMGs when you're far away, that isn't always the case. Sometimes you're only 6 feet away from him and he decides you need to die, and there's nothing you can do about it if you weren't already on your way behind cover.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Smart aggression seems like its the way to go. It appears to make it less likely that hans will stick to one target. Pubbies have a tendency to just scooby doo the gently caress away once hans goes for them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mindblast posted:

Smart aggression seems like its the way to go. It appears to make it less likely that hans will stick to one target. Pubbies have a tendency to just scooby doo the gently caress away once hans goes for them.

I'd love to see berzerkers gather extra aggro from Scrakes and Fleshpounds, who knows whether that's possible.

(P.S. Berzerker is fun as hell even though you can literally parry-lock a scrake with any melee weapon including the medic scalpel)

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
What's actually really helped me with hans is just... closing doors. Don't even need to weld them. He can't shoot his guns through doors and the precious seconds it takes him to sprint up and open them are seconds you can use to find cover and/or reload and/or heal yourself.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I find the problem isn't finding cover after I know he's shooting. My problem is being the first target he shoots and being cut down in less than two seconds from full health/armour as a support with extra health.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

dogstile posted:

I find the problem isn't finding cover after I know he's shooting. My problem is being the first target he shoots and being cut down in less than two seconds from full health/armour as a support with extra health.

Can't say I've ever had that problem, but I've also only ever played this on normal so far, so... V:v:V

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The main problem with Hans guns is that its kind of inconsistent when he shoots, hell I've had times where I'm right in his face and he starts shooting without even looking in my direction, its pretty weird.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

dogstile posted:

This is the only thing that drives me absolutely nuts about Hans. Practically all of his others moves are well-telegraphed and leave you time to respond. Even if you're not totally on the ball, you can usually scramble out of a gas cloud in time or tank a grenade (just not all of them). Those guns though? If you're more than a step or three out of cover, you're toast.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Alteisen posted:

The main problem with Hans guns is that its kind of inconsistent when he shoots, hell I've had times where I'm right in his face and he starts shooting without even looking in my direction, its pretty weird.

Agreed. Close range with the patriarch and his gun was equally deadly, but he had a super obvious tell with a voice clip and pose and like a 2-3 second wind up before he started shooting, which was plenty to get the hell out of the way most times.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

update when

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't hold my breath at this point, TW said they don't like to release patches right before the weekend so I'd guess early next week as the new best-case scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chard posted:

update when

Gonna say August.