Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

benisntfunny posted:

Technically there's no supported way to rollback iOS and Mac OS.

Right but you can flatten and reinstall an older OS if it's still being signed or in the case of OS X, drivers for your model.

From what I've read, there's no way to do that with the watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Right but you can flatten and reinstall an older OS if it's still being signed or in the case of OS X, drivers for your model.

From what I've read, there's no way to do that with the watch.

Point is... They release a public beta with no supported method to go back. It's no different than the watch in support. There just isn't an unsupported method for the watch.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Gotcha. I read gud.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

A friend of mine who works for Apple told me he's been having trouble with his Sport. Saying that the band doesn't react well around alcohol, whether it's at a bar or simply hand sanitizer or something.

Anyone else have similar reactions?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

What's happening with the band?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's a sloppy drunk.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Jose Oquendo posted:

Probably not because apparently once you install the beta you cannot roll it back.

Yeah, and Watch OS 2 is not in a good place right now. iOS 9 beta 2 is awesome, but I just installed WatchOS 2 today and it's very unstable. While I was typing this, I had a spontaneous reboot -- my third in the past 2 hours. And messages don't sync properly/can't send or reply to messages.

The only reason I took the plunge knowing there's no going back is because the watch is a neat gimmick/toy to me and not something essential.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

ShoogaSlim posted:

A friend of mine who works for Apple told me he's been having trouble with his Sport. Saying that the band doesn't react well around alcohol, whether it's at a bar or simply hand sanitizer or something.

I'm not sure what your friend means by "doesn't react well", but we use a lot of isopropyl alcohol at work and I haven't noticed anything with either of my bands - that said, any contact in my case would be incidental/minor.

Weird issue for me, the NY Times app seems to keep uninstalling and reinstalling itself every couple weeks. I haven't checked to see if it's in conjunction with any phone app updates, but it is annoying in that it resets the app's position on the home screen and also moves the glance to the furthest-right position in my glances.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Space Racist posted:

I'm not sure what your friend means by "doesn't react well", but we use a lot of isopropyl alcohol at work and I haven't noticed anything with either of my bands - that said, any contact in my case would be incidental/minor.

Weird issue for me, the NY Times app seems to keep uninstalling and reinstalling itself every couple weeks. I haven't checked to see if it's in conjunction with any phone app updates, but it is annoying in that it resets the app's position on the home screen and also moves the glance to the furthest-right position in my glances.

I had the ny times issue (disappear and reappear) once so far.

I keep waiting for Sonos to make an app for the Watch. That is exactly an example of where the watch can really shine.

Edit: apparently someone launched a 3rd party app for Sonos that works on the watch. Just downloaded and tried it, seems solid so far. Called Zoneplay if anyone is interested.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 2, 2015

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ShoogaSlim posted:

Alcohol based cleaners (like the stuff they probably use at the Apple Stores) wear the matte finish off. I don't think alcohol made for drinking would do this, but I don't use a sport band or spill things all over myself so I can't confirm.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

benisntfunny posted:

Point is... They release a public beta with no supported method to go back. It's no different than the watch in support. There just isn't an unsupported method for the watch.

I think OS X has a pretty well supported method of going back, but yeah iOS is generally meant to only go forward.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MrBond posted:

I think OS X has a pretty well supported method of going back, but yeah iOS is generally meant to only go forward.

You can always go backwards from iOS betas to whatever the current release version is easily within iTunes. I'm fairly certain it's supported since it's no different than restoring an iOS device. You generally can't go to previous release versions, however.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Endless Mike posted:

You can always go backwards from iOS betas to whatever the current release version is easily within iTunes. I'm fairly certain it's supported since it's no different than restoring an iOS device. You generally can't go to previous release versions, however.

You're mistaking the ability to do it with being supported. Yes you can rollback but Apple won't help you if you gently caress your poo poo up in the process.

Apple Beta Notes posted:

Devices updated to iOS 9 beta can not be restored to earlier versions of iOS. Only registered development devices will be able to upgrade to future beta releases and the final iOS software.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

So here's a question. If I wipe my iPhone and do not restore an iCloud backup but I do add my account to the phone and all the other services, do I have to re-pair the watch and set it up from scratch?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Jose Oquendo posted:

So here's a question. If I wipe my iPhone and do not restore an iCloud backup but I do add my account to the phone and all the other services, do I have to re-pair the watch and set it up from scratch?

Saw this a while back on reddit (I know, I know). Might help: https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/3bwr60/psa_if_you_plan_on_doing_a_full_restore_on_your/

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
My stainless model's crown rotation is frequently sticky when it hasn't been touched in a while. A few turns loosens it up, and then it goes back to sticky eventually. Anyone else experiencing this?

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

Lexicon posted:

My stainless model's crown rotation is frequently sticky when it hasn't been touched in a while. A few turns loosens it up, and then it goes back to sticky eventually. Anyone else experiencing this?

Noticed the same thing on my sport.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

You have to start completely over even if you do restore from the cloud.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Lexicon posted:

I think Apple suggests running water over the crown if this happens, in case some gunk got under it somehow.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not sure about that. It's late here but in the morning I'll pull up the service guide on GSX and see what it says to do.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
Yes, just run it under water while turning and pressing the crown.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

So that is the approved method. That's pretty surprising. I'd have thought that much running water would trigger a moisture indicator or something.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Jose Oquendo posted:

So that is the approved method. That's pretty surprising. I'd have thought that much running water would trigger a moisture indicator or something.
What? You know the Apple Watch is approved for full submersion in water for 30 minutes, right? I doubt the thing even has moisture indicators.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

coldplay chiptunes posted:

What? You know the Apple Watch is approved for full submersion in water for 30 minutes, right? I doubt the thing even has moisture indicators.

Yeah that's right. I forgot about the IPX7 thing. It looks like they go by visible condensation in the heart rate sensors to look for possible liquid damage.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 5, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah that's right. I forgot about the IPX7 thing. It looks like they go by visible condensation in the heart rate sensors to look for possible liquid damage.

Be careful how much you quote gsx dude

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

banana allergy posted:

Alcohol based cleaners (like the stuff they probably use at the Apple Stores) wear the matte finish off. I don't think alcohol made for drinking would do this, but I don't use a sport band or spill things all over myself so I can't confirm.

You're missing out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rick posted:

You're missing out.

If you aren't dumping bottles of cristal all over yourself on a nightly basis, you aren't living life right. :whatup:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
They made it liquid resistant for a reason, right?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Okay, I've got a strange bug – the Music app has two songs, both purchases, that are neither downloaded onto my iPhone or visible in my Purchases (basically: they're 12 Days downloads I don't care much for), which I can't seem to get rid of. Any way to get rid of them that I appear to have missed?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TinTower posted:

Okay, I've got a strange bug – the Music app has two songs, both purchases, that are neither downloaded onto my iPhone or visible in my Purchases (basically: they're 12 Days downloads I don't care much for), which I can't seem to get rid of. Any way to get rid of them that I appear to have missed?
Uh well I got the same thing yesterday. The Music app on iPhone showed purchases (even though the option was off) so I played a few tracks to see what was up, and those appeared on the watch. Force quit stuff and toggled options again and the phone was fine but they're still showing up only the watch. Only thing I haven't tried yet was restarting both devices, trying it now...and that didn't work.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Watch os 2b3 trip report : everything actually works again , battery life is okay.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
First day with the watch and loving it so far. The watch completely turned off (was at 80% battery) and the only way I knew is I got a message from my phone instead. I had to hold both buttons down to hard reset. Has anyone run into this? Hopefully don't have a dud.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

OMGzKakaniz posted:

First day with the watch and loving it so far. The watch completely turned off (was at 80% battery) and the only way I knew is I got a message from my phone instead. I had to hold both buttons down to hard reset. Has anyone run into this? Hopefully don't have a dud.
If it was completely shut off I think you wouldn't need to do the reset combo, i.e. just hold the uh friend(?) button to start up, so it sounds like it was locked up. Not sure if it matters but maybe try a proper power down and back on if you're paranoid, phone too if you're extra paranoid. I think I've had it once before a while back but it's been fine before and since that so hopefully it's just a freak crash.

If it keeps happening the main thing to try is just wiping and restoring the watch cause afaik Apple will mention that as part of the troubleshooting if you call in. If that doesn't work hopefully they won't ask you to do it with the phone too, not a huge deal with a backup, but still really annoying.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

OMGzKakaniz posted:

Not that specifically, but a week in, mine suddenly stopped vibrating on notifications. A hard reset fixed it. Been running fine since. No idea what caused it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Croc Monster posted:

Not that specifically, but a week in, mine suddenly stopped vibrating on notifications. A hard reset fixed it. Been running fine since. No idea what caused it.

I had that issue once. Resetting the watch did nothing but rebooting my phone fixed it. No idea how that works but I haven't had any other issues.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

MarcusSA posted:

I had that issue once. Resetting the watch did nothing but rebooting my phone fixed it. No idea how that works but I haven't had any other issues.

I have to do that when iTunes becomes a little bitch and suddenly decides it doesn't want to sync over wifi anymore :argh:

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
No watch os beta?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

gypsyshred posted:

No watch os beta?

There's no benefit to running it anyway.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

benisntfunny posted:

There's no benefit to running it anyway.
Latest beta apparently gets rid of the crown press that centers the app grid on the watch icon. It just goes straight back to the watch face if you press it while on the app grid :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

japtor posted:

Latest beta apparently gets rid of the crown press that centers the app grid on the watch icon. It just goes straight back to the watch face if you press it while on the app grid :toot:

It also now has bigger unlock keys I noticed. Still not enough reason to want to use it. Supposedly they fixed Notifications. I haven't had haptic feedback in over a month on the watch. Sucks :(

• Locked thread