Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Fayez Butts posted:

Finally got around to completing my main base and fighting area. That thing on the right is just there to look cool (for now) and to anchor the right-hand side of the Boss Fighting Zone

Your NPCs are all going to die the first time you fight the Destroyer.

Really, most bosses have some way of killing things behind walls. You don't want your boss arena to be within screen-width of your NPC housing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
R.E. Missing weapons chat: I've been finding for absolutely no reason my Yo-yo that I keep on hotbar number 1 will randomly just pop off and drop on the ground without me noticing, so I'll have to retrace my steps to find it. So far it's happened two or three times but I have no idea what causes it, since I know for a fact I wasn't fighting anything when my dude just chucked it on the ground.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Supremezero posted:

So I tried out the whole "build a circle minecart track and just follow it" tactic for Moon Lord.

Sounds like a great idea for Chlorophyte Bullets.

I've had little issue with the pillars so far in expert solo. Bullets are shredding everything as long as I buff up so I don't get liquified. I probably should plan out my Moon Lord battle before I kill the last one....

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Your NPCs are all going to die the first time you fight the Destroyer.

Really, most bosses have some way of killing things behind walls. You don't want your boss arena to be within screen-width of your NPC housing.

In that case I'll extend the Zone a bunch farther to the right when the time comes. I haven't been playing this game too hard, just started farming eye of cthulu

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
T is the throw Hotkey, so make sure that you aren't accidentally pressing that.

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007

Tamayachi posted:

R.E. Missing weapons chat: I've been finding for absolutely no reason my Yo-yo that I keep on hotbar number 1 will randomly just pop off and drop on the ground without me noticing, so I'll have to retrace my steps to find it. So far it's happened two or three times but I have no idea what causes it, since I know for a fact I wasn't fighting anything when my dude just chucked it on the ground.

For some reason, there is a Drop key, and it is bound to T. I don't understand the point of either of these things. Maybe you hit it?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

T is the throw Hotkey, so make sure that you aren't accidentally pressing that.

alternatively, set your throw hotkey to something really far and remote on your keyboard because who the gently caress uses throwing on a regular basis

e : it's not even used to throw bombs/dynamites!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I accidentally drop the demonite bow all the time because it's the same color as the inventory. I'll be rearranging things and accidentally chuck it because I didn't even notice it was there.

the glow
May 31, 2009
Alright mates, me and a friend have been playing HC Expert and it's so difficult that you end up fishing a lot to gear up safely. Fishing is boring and not challenging so I wrote a short AHK script to automatically fish as rapidly as possible:

The script casts the line, then pixel colour checks the float to see if it's moving, with a bit of tolerance so that you don't get false positives when the float is gradually changing colour due to transitions between day/night. I've tested it in the ocean and various underground biomes and it seems to work ok.

How to use:
  • run the script with AHK
  • position the cursor just above the water's surface in such a way that when you cast the line, the cursor is over the float (this will be directly below your feet so you need a platform over the water)
  • toggle autofishing with the F2 key

here's the code

code:
#MaxThreadsPerHotkey 2
Pause::Pause

F2::
	if (fishing == 1) {
		fishing = 0
		return
	} else fishing = 1

Loop {
		if (fishing == 1) {			
			manualClick()
			Sleep, 1000
			MouseGetPos xpos, ypos
			PixelGetColor, colorA, xpos, ypos-2

Loop {
				PixelGetColor, colorB, xpos, ypos-2
				if (compare(colorA, colorB) > 5) {
					if (fishing == 1) {
						manualClick()
					}
					break
				} else PixelGetColor, colorA, xpos, ypos-2
			}
		} else break
	}
return

manualClick() {
	Click down
	Sleep, 50
	Click up
	Sleep, 50
}

compare(c1, c2) {
    rdiff := Abs((c1 >> 16) & 0xFF - (c2 >> 16) & 0xFF)
    gdiff := Abs((c1 >> 8) & 0xFF - (c2 >> 8) & 0xFF)
    bdiff := Abs(c1 & 0xFF - c2 & 0xFF)

return rdiff + gdiff + bdiff
}

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I actually lucked into 3 strange plants. Dye trader gave me reflective silver, reflective, and then reflective again.

gently caress that guy.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Supremezero posted:

So I tried out the whole "build a circle minecart track and just follow it" tactic for Moon Lord.

It did not work.

Because I was so god drat fast I couldn't hit him either.

What speed should I be going at for this idea?

Just put a teleporter next to your nurse habitation pod and another teleporter a few screens away. Stand next to the teleporter when you fight him and medevac once you get down to 200 hp or so. If that's too cheesy for you then decelerate on your mine cart to fight and speed back up when you need to regenerate. Moon Lord's biggest weakness is that he only despawns if you die.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Bob Locke posted:

For some reason, there is a Drop key, and it is bound to T. I don't understand the point of either of these things. Maybe you hit it?

The game seems to toggle a hotkey if it's in the last letter in a sentence or command you type. It happens most often with me and the letter "R". For whatever reason I'll be typing and it automatically uses the mount. I suspect it has something to do with auto-pause being off due to multiplayer.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Bob Locke posted:

This is very possible and I will have to remove this binding as soon as I get home.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Just put a teleporter next to your nurse habitation pod and another teleporter a few screens away. Stand next to the teleporter when you fight him and medevac once you get down to 200 hp or so. If that's too cheesy for you then decelerate on your mine cart to fight and speed back up when you need to regenerate. Moon Lord's biggest weakness is that he only despawns if you die.

Yeah, no more teleporting tricks. I just tested it to see what "cannot escape the star god's wrath" means, and it means he teleports on top of you. Minecart track or UFO mount only kids.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
someone revive tedit tia

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Metrohunter posted:

someone revive tedit tia

Apparently the latest version on their git repo works, as per this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/3cjurf/tedit_for_13_has_been_experimentally_released/

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Holy crap he's tough even with 5 people on Expert.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Xenaero posted:

Holy crap he's tough even with 5 people on Expert.

Boss Hp goes up the more people there are in Expert mode.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

You also gain a huge player death buffer and the ability to trade aggro so you can run to the nurse, so overall more players is better (assuming each player adds at least as much DPS as the existing ones).

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Read posted:

Apparently the latest version on their git repo works, as per this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/3cjurf/tedit_for_13_has_been_experimentally_released/

thanks for this, I wanted to copypaste my way too big house over to an expert world and was dismayed when I couldn't find an update for 1.3

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:
Man expert mode is tough but its so rewarding for its difficulty, I just beat skeletron during a blood moon and got his mask and a money trough which summons a flying piggy bank. This game is amazing. :allears:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How come when I set up a pressure plate to a tall gate it will only trigger if I walk onto it from the right? I just wanted to set up the gate to open and close as I enter/exit my house but the door never closes when I leave.

VVV I hear the click of me hitting the switch, it just doesn't do anything unless I'm coming from the right. I don't get it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 10, 2015

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Internet Kraken posted:

How come when I set up a pressure plate to a tall gate it will only trigger if I walk onto it from the right? I just wanted to set up the gate to open and close as I enter/exit my house but the door never closes when I leave.

Assuming you have a pressure plate on both sides, maybe there's a terrain bump that prevents you from hitting it on the left.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I really wish I could turn off events. Finally get the wizard to move back into my hard mode world. As I'm running towards him to buy some music boxes, blood moon rises and a wraith floats through the walls and murder him.

EDIT: and it segues right into a solar eclipse. This kind of stops being fun after 10+ of these things in short order. Sometimes I just want to do what I wanted to do, game.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 10, 2015

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sjonnar posted:

Yeah, no more teleporting tricks. I just tested it to see what "cannot escape the star god's wrath" means, and it means he teleports on top of you. Minecart track or UFO mount only kids.

Well, I'm glad I got all his drops and never have a reason to kill him again in that case. The time I did it without teleporting was incredibly long and tedious.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Nuebot posted:

I really wish I could turn off events. Finally get the wizard to move back into my hard mode world. As I'm running towards him to buy some music boxes, blood moon rises and a wraith floats through the walls and murder him.

EDIT: and it segues right into a solar eclipse. This kind of stops being fun after 10+ of these things in short order. Sometimes I just want to do what I wanted to do, game.

This is how I feel about getting Martian Invaded over and over because I spot a probe too late and can't nuke it before it escapes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Fishing crates in hardmode can now rarely contain an enchanted sundial that lets you skip one day a week. Good for skipping past unwanted moon events, though the one time I used it for a blood moon it was immediately followed by a solar eclipse...

On the plus side, eclipses are supposed to be less common now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tenebrais posted:

Fishing crates in hardmode can now rarely contain an enchanted sundial that lets you skip one day a week. Good for skipping past unwanted moon events, though the one time I used it for a blood moon it was immediately followed by a solar eclipse...

On the plus side, eclipses are supposed to be less common now.

I'm just going to edit that into my inventory because the solar eclipse was just followed up by another blood moon. Jesus christ, I just want to farm the golem for loot before I move on to doing the lunar event.

Honestly I think they should just add in some items, like anti-summoning items you can craft that you use when you see the "Blood moon is rising" message or whatever that makes it go away.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Nuebot posted:

If you store your NPCs sufficiently off the ground (20 tiles or so, with open air left and right of about the same), they won't die to wraiths.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
You could always run a tshock server and connect to it by yourself, as admin, then alter time/events at your whim. Supposedly there's a version for 1.3 out now.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
SO! Have I mentioned I'm loving terrible at this? I'm still wearing wood armor, have the most boring tower possible in progress. I've not dug more than 10 feet past the surface, only explored my small left to right enough to see a few biomes (??? Corruption, snow, Spawn, desert, Jungle ???)

However... While trying to set up a small tree farm just off screen from my home for more of that sweet log cabin action, I see a star fall off the edge of the screen.

The star came to stop by a plant that wasn't there before.

"Strange plant"

Anyways, for those of you too honorable to use editors. What buttons should my dumb rear end push so I can hop onto one of the Goon servers, and shove this strange plant into a chest for someone actually looking for them to get it?

TL;DR: Idiot Terraria newbie has a falling star land next to a strange plant that wasn't there a second ago, 20 feet from spawn. Wants to hand it over to Goons actively seeking them out.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 10, 2015

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Going super slow, but I'm about at Plantera now. I got two broken swords in the span of two eclipses (on consecutive days), so I have my Terra Blade. I feel like my Legendary Seedler is doing more damage at medium range, though. Now I just need a bunch of Chlorophyte for Turtle Armor.

Are the other Hardmode fishables any good? Seedler is amazing, but I haven't gotten any of the others yet.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Lakitu7 posted:

You could always run a tshock server and connect to it by yourself, as admin, then alter time/events at your whim. Supposedly there's a version for 1.3 out now.

Or just use this: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/1-3-0-4-terrariapatcher-v1-1-0-9-plugins-and-more.116592/

Comes with a bunch of nifty plugins. For instance you can set the time of day by pressing , or .

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Section Z posted:

Anyways, for those of you too honorable to use editors. What buttons should my dumb rear end push so I can hop onto one of the Goon servers, and shove this strange plant into a chest for someone actually looking for them to get it?

TL;DR: Idiot Terraria newbie has a falling star land next to a strange plant that wasn't there a second ago, 20 feet from spawn. Wants to hand it over to Goons actively seeking them out.

Same, I wanna play this game with other people. Preferably not on Expert.

Mexicat
Feb 1, 2013
why are the endgame ranged weapons so poo poo. I can either use a bow (that is close ranged and goes against my stealth bonus because I have to get relatively close) or a badass rifle (which has a loving amazingly wide spread and therefore is also useless) Why isn't there just some better sniper rifle like a railgun that shoots through walls instead, since literally every other "class" gets that.

on top of that, the endgame ranged armor is just better shroomite armor, boring and disappointing, does look cool though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mexicat posted:

why are the endgame ranged weapons so poo poo. I can either use a bow (that is close ranged and goes against my stealth bonus because I have to get relatively close) or a badass rifle (which has a loving amazingly wide spread and therefore is also useless)

on top of that, the endgame ranged armor is just better shroomite armor, boring and disappointing, does look cool though.

Chlorophyte bullets. Also bows are kind of the area saturation option with holy/luminite arrows. Moon Lord drops a suped up megashark, too.

Mexicat
Feb 1, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Chlorophyte bullets.

It's annoying that I have to make my own ammo from a relatively pain in the rear end ore when Melee can just fire his loving whipsword through walls, Magic can use one of the many spells that go through walls, and minion users can run around poo poo while the stardust dragon rams through it.

On top of that, 'stealth' doesn't count for poo poo if you aren't in multiplayer.

Mexicat fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 10, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

So spend 2 gold a stack on exploding bullets and play crowd control. The bow's better against single targets anyway. The stealth is mostly a damage bonus and there's plenty of ways around the speed penalty.

Mexicat
Feb 1, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

So spend 2 gold a stack on exploding bullets and play crowd control.

Anyone else does that better, sadly.

dis astranagant posted:

The bow's better against single targets anyway.

Just got nerfed. Both options are now equally mediocre.

dis astranagant posted:

The stealth is mostly a damage bonus and there's plenty of ways around the speed penalty.

I don't actually have the endgame armor yet, just Shroomite. It's a pain in the rear end trying to kill the moonlord without other people to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Feels like my brother and I are getting all the absurdly rare drops. So far we've gotten;

-a slime staff
-binoculars
-zeyphr fish pet
-4 strange plants
-money trough

This is all without any grinding to get specific items either. Maybe some of this stuff isn't as rare as the wiki makes it out to be.