Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Oh ok, that makes sense. I assume a pretty big majority of the backers get the core set, so if there's something wrong with that it makes sense to fix it first.

Being more flexible with international shipping makes sense too, that's guaranteed to be messy and difficult, shipping stuff to dozens of different countries, as compared to just shipping within the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah I don't have any problem with the concept of a wave model. Sticking to it when it artificially creates delays is dumb, though.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
They tried ad hoc the first Kickstarter. It created even more complaints, and ultimately it was both more expensive and even slower.

It's like this. Their normal staff is not sufficient for the mailing needed for Bones. Even with shutting down their factory, they'll need a lot of help to get everything out the door (and they will have to shut down their factory, just out of space concerns). However, they can't afford to hire those extra hands indefinitely. So, to do this at all efficiently, they have to do it all at once. Get all the product in from China, hire the temp workers, then set up the assembly-line to sort figures, fill orders, and send stuff out. It sucks, especially when things get delayed, but the haphazard system they had for the first Kickstarter just didn't work. While the second was delayed, the actual shipping process was quite speedy and they were shipping off a thousand orders a day.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

moths posted:

He's talking about international shipping problems holding up wave two.

I'm talking about production problems with a handful of models delaying everything because they didn't want to rustle any wave one jimmies.

E: IIRC it was figures in one of the core sets that needed redone. Everybody had to wait for them to get fixed and shipped out to wave one, even if your order didn't include the problem figures.

It pushed the whole timetable back a few weeks (or months?), when they could have just sent the affected order out later with a complimentary "whoops" bonus.

My bad, I forgot about the core set issue. Though I was pretty sure the reason for the delay was less being afraid of wave one people and more that the amount of reorganization work and increased shipping costs from getting some stuff shipped out ahead wouldn't be worth sending out the minority of packages without core.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Terrible Opinions posted:

My bad, I forgot about the core set issue. Though I was pretty sure the reason for the delay was less being afraid of wave one people and more that the amount of reorganization work and increased shipping costs from getting some stuff shipped out ahead wouldn't be worth sending out the minority of packages without core.

Yes, this. Organizing things with the wave system almost certainly has logistical benefits for Reaper; it's not just a way for them to force you to take a number and wait.

e: though I'm certain this was all explained for moths back when Wavegate actually happened so explaining it again is probably futile.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I don't know if it's been posted ealrier, but they showed off some models at a convention or something in the past. I guess these will be the future sttrecth goals.

Also, there's a ridiculously huge dragon

http://imgur.com/a/vofW6/noscript

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah I get how it works.

Everyone could have gotten their stuff and Reaper would have gotten back to business as usual sooner if Reaper had just said "these models are hosed, here's twice as many substitutes, let us know if you've got a problem with that." and rolled on with distribution.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Want dat Tiamat :allears:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Oh my Christ I was going to avoid Bones 3 but that dragon.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I wonder at what point they'd throw that onto the stretch goal radar. It's obviously a huge draw for a late push, but if they do it too late/at too high a price they might still not have enough to hit it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I'll be honest, that not-Tiamat is the main reason I'm paying attention to Bones 3 at all.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

JerryLee posted:

I wonder at what point they'd throw that onto the stretch goal radar. It's obviously a huge draw for a late push, but if they do it too late/at too high a price they might still not have enough to hit it.

Pretty sure not-Tiamat will be right at the end, like Khanjira and Dragons Don't Share were in Bones 2

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Those pictures sold me on the Frost Giants, they look a lot better in person.

Even as a 3-up, it's going to cost like forty dollars just to ship Tiamat.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm hoping that little blobby thing that's going to get revealed next is more paints. Thanks to the last couple reaper kickstarters, my paint collection is back from zero to reasonably equipped, and the price is nice.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

To hell with it, in for $100 :catdrugs:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I didn't know this until I started messing around with the pledge manager, it turns out Reaper is based in Denton, Texas. So if you're also in Texas, you have to pay state sales tax.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Oh drat son, that fully armored, not-even-boobplate female knight on a dragon is loving awesome. I'm getting her * for sure. Also defintiely grabbing a set of Totally Not StarCraft Marines**. Will almost certainly end up adding on more, but probably not doing the core set this time. Probably. We'll see what my finances look like come the post-KS addon period.

*No way this won't get well past $1mil. It's a loving Bones KS.

**I've always found StarCraft Marines to look way cooler than Warhammer Marines

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Really pushing the dragons in this one :smaug:

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
So jumping in at the $1 level gives me the option of upping it to the $100 full package when the pledge manager drops?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Super 3 posted:

So jumping in at the $1 level gives me the option of upping it to the $100 full package when the pledge manager drops?

That's how the last two worked. I think I was only in for one dollar until the pledge manager last time.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Awesome. I'll have a while to debate then on jumping on the full thing or just grabbing an add on or two.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

And the option to pledge for bits and pieces of the core set has opened up.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

senrath posted:

And the option to pledge for bits and pieces of the core set has opened up.

Which is terrific and all, but what's with the lack of lizardman addons? How am I supposed to build a KoW lizardman force if I can't aaarrrglblargl :argh:

e: i'm secretly still really excited

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

lilljonas posted:

That's how the last two worked. I think I was only in for one dollar until the pledge manager last time.

But if you wait to pledge money until after thee kickstarter is over, whatever extra money you add on at that point doesn't contribute to unlocking any stretch goals, right?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I was only going to pledge a dollar but then I sniped one of the Wave 4 $100 slots.

gently caress.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yes, that's correct. But you can still pledge $1 now to get on the train, and then if we are just shy of the goal you want near closing, up your bid. I don't think that 'is this going to fund high enough' is really much of a concern on this though. Didn't they end up throwing in a couple things that we didn't quite hit on the last one, anyway?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Ashcans posted:

Yes, that's correct. But you can still pledge $1 now to get on the train, and then if we are just shy of the goal you want near closing, up your bid. I don't think that 'is this going to fund high enough' is really much of a concern on this though. Didn't they end up throwing in a couple things that we didn't quite hit on the last one, anyway?

This one isn't going to be as successful as the previous one. Not only does it run for less time, it's already moving significantly slower than the second one.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There's really nothing that backers collectively nod and increase their pledges for. The huge dragon is more huge, but who doesn't already have more dragons than they need?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

You can never have enough dragons.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

moths posted:

There's really nothing that backers collectively nod and increase their pledges for. The huge dragon is more huge, but who doesn't already have more dragons than they need?

Yeah, I really don't understand why they aren't going for more variety in the add-ons. They've got like, fifty loving almost identical dragons. If somebody din't get the first dragon, they aren't gonna get the second dragon. Or the third or the fourth or the seventeenth...

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, I really don't understand why they aren't going for more variety in the add-ons. They've got like, fifty loving almost identical dragons. If somebody din't get the first dragon, they aren't gonna get the second dragon. Or the third or the fourth or the seventeenth...

It's pretty simple, really. Dragons don't share!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

They'll never top that mondo Cthulhu.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Otisburg posted:

They'll never top that mondo Cthulhu.

I don't know, man, Bowser-sans-shell khanjira was pretty legit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Aren't most of their dragons stuff they already had that they are just converting to bonesium? Not so surprising then.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The wave issues with Bones 2 is exactly why I'm not worrying about how early I back for this one. There's going to be delays and all the waves will end up going out over two weeks instead of 3- 4 months.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That said I'd like to see them make a larger squad of space marine dudes with a tank or something for 20 bucks or so.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'll probably end up chipping in for paints, but I haven't seen anything that grabs me

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'd love to see some more terrain, or really just more stuff that's wargame-oriented rather than impractical for anything other than RPGs.

More themed bundles like the Lizardman one. Hell, that's practically a unit for KoW or Warhammer. Or a whole army for some skirmish games. Do that, Reaper.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Reaper's bread & butter has always been models for use in RPGs like D&D and Pathfinder. So when they release a themed model like the lizardmen, they're looking at how many models a GM might want for an encounter; not how many models a wargamer might want for a full unit.

I would love to see Bones wargame units, because they'd be cheaper per-model than basically any other source, but Reaper hasn't ever tried to go that way as far as I know.

As for the dragon thing I also find the dozens of samey-looking dragons really boring but making a shitload of dragons has also been Reaper's thing for decades and they have a highly dedicated fanbase for them. There are people who just buy nothing but goddamn dragons, more and more and more of them. It's like... it's like those Disney figurine people, you know? You go into their home and they have like five hundred disney figurines, half of them are mickey mouse? There's dragon people like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I can't wait to see what their expansions are going to be like this time around. They said they'll be themed, since the previous mishmash hodgepodge ones of KS2 weren't too popular. KS2's first expansions was at 1.6mil, I think this one will more likely be after the 1mil mark on the new map, just to get some speed going.

Also, they plan on the core set being 150 models, so we've still got a lot to add.

So far I'm in for $156: Core, an unseen expansion, and extra ogres now that they have the core bits opened up for individual sale.

• Locked thread