Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mexicat
Feb 1, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Feels like my brother and I are getting all the absurdly rare drops. So far we've gotten;

-a slime staff
-binoculars
-zeyphr fish pet
-4 strange plants
-money trough

This is all without any grinding to get specific items either. Maybe some of this stuff isn't as rare as the wiki makes it out to be.

Are you in expert? Drop rates are effectively doubled if you are, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

Same, I wanna play this game with other people. Preferably not on Expert.

I'm fine blindly stumbling around on my own while I multitask, but I saw some of the other posts about all the shenanigans people have been dealing with Strange Plants and figured the least I could do is hand it off the results of my undeserving blind luck :shobon:

At the very least I got the dye trader spawned and living in my work in progress lame tower for dumb babies, which is probably overkill for Normal Non Expert.

I'm planning on adding stairwells on either side but I'm hearing mixed things about NPC ability to navigate platforms, so I guess they'd be mostly for my personal convenience.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Trap_Door

I just wanna play with people. And spread the love.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mexicat posted:

Anyone else does that better, sadly.

Just got nerfed. Both options are now equally mediocre.

It fires more projectiles more often for basically the same damage. It also has these extra shots that come out if you're consistently hitting a single target. It's really good even with -10 damage. You also have more items to buff bow damage than guns (archery potions, magic quivers).

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Isn't that one of the things that really makes this game work though? There's such an absurd amount of rare drops that even by pure probability you're bound to get a few of them? Getting a specific rare drop is rare, but getting any one of them is not so rare!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I got a Nymph banner from the second Nymph I ever saw. So that was neat.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the solar dye is so ugly

all the other lunar event dyes are so cool why does that one look so bad

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Supremezero posted:

So I tried out the whole "build a circle minecart track and just follow it" tactic for Moon Lord.

It did not work.

Because I was so god drat fast I couldn't hit him either.

What speed should I be going at for this idea?

If you're running Magic like me my tactic is: Stardust Dragon, Rainbow Gun, Magnet Sphere, and my most important weapon: The Bat Scepter.

Really, if you have the patience to farm a Bat Scepter from the Pumpkin Moon event do it, it costs a hilariously low amount of mana and the bats home in on enemies. Basically as I'm zipping around I shoot a rainbow that covers half the middle he keeps running into, throw a magnet sphere up when i hit the middle of the bottom, and just keep shooting bats. I also put up a Lunar Portal, Frost Hydra, and Rainbow Crystal sentries but those are just a formality to finish him off faster with the Stardust Dragon. I think my best record killing him with the proper buffs (including Nebula Armor) is just under 2 minutes.

Edit: Also, I'd better farm the poo poo out of the Moon Lord for the last few drops I need and a good supply of Luminite Ore, because I get the feeling this tactic could be nerfed at some point too, like making him enrage if you get in a minecart.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 10, 2015

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
When using explosives that remove terrain, does it actually destroy any of the blocks or does it just dislodge it all for collection?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

When using explosives that remove terrain, does it actually destroy any of the blocks or does it just dislodge it all for collection?

Dislodges it. I'd probably have gone insane by now if I couldn't dynamite meteors.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
e: Endgame spoilers cause not everyone has slammed into it

That was an absolute rush. UFO works pretty good against Moon Lord but holy crap does it get harrowing.

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 10, 2015

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Just had a slime rain event, and Pinky showed up and dropped a Slime Staff! Makes my new mage-oriented character happy, and it's so cute.

I'm surprised I haven't had a single Blood Moon though.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Anyone know how this guy got the variation in background color, especially in the church on the left? Is it paint of some sort?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

On the one world where I've seen probes I destroyed three before I knew what their deal was, which worked out because they occurred during blood moons and eclipses and poo poo, the fourth one also happened during an event but I let it go without consequence, the final one I just slapped a bit and let leave and no invasion happened. Kind of annoyed because I want to see how bad the invasion is.

Similarly I have been trying to get two more tattered cloth so I can make a goblin battle standard to fight the hardmode goblin invasion, but the loving scouts refuse to spawn. The most progress I've made since the patch has been my killing Duke Fishron a few times netting me a tempest staff and a razorblade typhoon, and my running the pumpkin moon getting me a horseman's blade. Most of the rest of my time has been putting up with strange dye bullshit. I think I'll just get the last few drops I ain't got from Fishron and the pumpkin moon before running the frost moon so I can get the stuff from that before I start the martian and lunar poo poo.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Anyone know how this guy got the variation in background color, especially in the church on the left? Is it paint of some sort?

Either he painted it or, looking at the blocks he used, he put up a pattern of Grey Brick, Red Brick, and Mudstone Brick walls. I don't see a painter in the picture but it could be a combination.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
As it turns out using terramap there were like a gazillion strange plants on the surface that I had never noticed. Like 7 or 8.
You might want to use that app if you haven't found strange plants, though they might just have popped up for 1.3.01
They kind of don't stand out among other grass and flowers I guess.

Now have pixie, shadow, grim, acid, and infernal wisp dyes. No reflective ones yet. The toxic looking dyes don't I got really fit my characters theme of fabulous diamond robes and rainbows though.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

The Wonder Weapon posted:

That's definitely paint. A lot of the foreground blocks are painted too, particularly the white brick walls over on the left.

Also, GOD drat. :stare: That's probably the best one i've seen so far, and there are a lot of really good ones posted here.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Either he painted it or, looking at the blocks he used, he put up a pattern of Grey Brick, Red Brick, and Mudstone Brick walls. I don't see a painter in the picture but it could be a combination.

Those torches look like 1.1 torches, meaning that those walls are a mix of grey brick, mudstone and iridescent brick. The lack of any sloped blocks in the image are a giveaway that it's pre-1.2, that design would look a lot better with slopes.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Akett posted:

Those torches look like 1.1 torches, meaning that those walls are a mix of grey brick, mudstone and iridescent brick. The lack of any sloped blocks in the image are a giveaway that it's pre-1.2, that design would look a lot better with slopes.

Yeah, he did a really good job of faking slopes using partially-visible backwalls on the roof of the church, for instance.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Akett posted:

So those white bricks are what, old silver bricks, you reckon? It's still p badass.

edit: In particular, that spiral staircase in the wizard tower. It looks like a combination of planked walls, wooden walls, and wooden platforms. And it's bad as gently caress.

Sjonnar fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 10, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Pearlstone bricks, probably. You can tell it's 1.1 because of the complete lack of sloped tiles anywhere.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Alright I'm a big idiot so someone explain to me why this doesn't work properly.

I just wanted to set up some pressure plates so that the gate would open and close as I leave. Seems like a simple wiring project that a child could handle but I guess not. The gate opens just fine, but it doesn't close when I cross over the pressure plate on the inside. It does however close in my face when I cross back over it. If I set it up only with one pressure plate on the outside its a similar problem; it opens but doesn't close when I cross back over it. So when I try to enter again later it just shuts in my face because the door was still open.

I don't get why this happens. I mean why do the pressure plates just decide to not work when crossed from a certain direction?

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Alright I'm a big idiot so someone explain to me why this doesn't work properly.

I just wanted to set up some pressure plates so that the gate would open and close as I leave. Seems like a simple wiring project that a child could handle but I guess not. The gate opens just fine, but it doesn't close when I cross over the pressure plate on the inside. It does however close in my face when I cross back over it. If I set it up only with one pressure plate on the outside its a similar problem; it opens but doesn't close when I cross back over it. So when I try to enter again later it just shuts in my face because the door was still open.

I don't get why this happens. I mean why do the pressure plates just decide to not work when crossed from a certain direction?

Kraken, can you set up a multiplayer? I'll hop in and take a look at it. Just invite me on steam. Name's Sjonnar, just like here.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Do trees actually grow larger or is it a preset height as soon as they change from sapling?

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:
Jesus friggin Christ the goblin summoner can gently caress right the hell off. That was an exercise in absurd frustration. I can't avoid him because he keeps making more and more terrain ignoring fists. Whittling down the fists takes a long time because most of my weapons are ineffective and I have to mostly ignore the regular goblins. Chasing him to make him shut the hell up massively prolongs the invasion, and the sonuvabitch usually reappeared with full health if I died trying to dogfight him. The best part, though, is getting gibbed by flying fists immediately on respawning. About three times. Consecutively.

I might have been horrifically under equipped when the pirates invaded for the first time, but at least I could hide indoors from the ship and kill the men through improvised murder holes. I'm not sure what I should be doing against this.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

My little town. Ive had this game for ages, but finally got about to playing it. Ive beat Skeletron, Eater of Worlds, Queen Bee, and Eye of Cthulu so far. Ive got a full set of shadow armor, but right now im rocking the meteor set with the space gun.My next goal is to find the goblin tinkerer and the stylist, plus build most of the jungle set that i need.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

This looks like a good way to have everyone fall out the left side in the middle of a blood moon :v:

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Tenbux McGee posted:

Jesus friggin Christ the goblin summoner can gently caress right the hell off. That was an exercise in absurd frustration. I can't avoid him because he keeps making more and more terrain ignoring fists. Whittling down the fists takes a long time because most of my weapons are ineffective and I have to mostly ignore the regular goblins. Chasing him to make him shut the hell up massively prolongs the invasion, and the sonuvabitch usually reappeared with full health if I died trying to dogfight him. The best part, though, is getting gibbed by flying fists immediately on respawning. About three times. Consecutively.

I might have been horrifically under equipped when the pirates invaded for the first time, but at least I could hide indoors from the ship and kill the men through improvised murder holes. I'm not sure what I should be doing against this.

Well, i don't know what level of progression you're at, but i'm gonna assume you're in hardmode, because i don't think pirates invade in normal. (Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.)
That being assumed, i'll also assume you're in early hardmode, and haven't beaten the mechanical bosses yet. If that's true, then get thee to a spider cave, and there farm the spiders for their fangs. You'll need 76 fangs in total to craft spider armor, spider staff, and queen spider staff.

Then hunt down the queen bee in the underground jungle. You want the bow called Bee's Knees and/or lots of beenades (you can craft beenades from beeswax and grenades).

Next time the little bastards invade, summon your spiders (you should be able to do 4 at that point), drop a queen spider turret, and start spamming beenades/bow-fired bee swarms at them. Also, litter the ground with those spikey balls they all drop. Keep to the air to dodge the summoner's fists, and watch your army of scuttling and swarming horrors devour the little fucks alive.

Now practice your evil laugh, you'll need to get good at it early so that later when the One True God (Space Dragon) solos the final boss for you, you can cackle like a proper villain who lets his minions do all the work.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

My little town. Ive had this game for ages, but finally got about to playing it. Ive beat Skeletron, Eater of Worlds, Queen Bee, and Eye of Cthulu so far. Ive got a full set of shadow armor, but right now im rocking the meteor set with the space gun.My next goal is to find the goblin tinkerer and the stylist, plus build most of the jungle set that i need.

I like the Dragon Warrior slime house.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Do trees actually grow larger or is it a preset height as soon as they change from sapling?

Further on the subject of newbie tree questions, is there a trick to make it so tall grass doesn't sprout, or am I stuck mowing the lawn every so often so at least there is enough room for the saplings to grow at all?

The White Dragon posted:

This looks like a good way to have everyone fall out the left side in the middle of a blood moon :v:

Yeah, I was hoping they wouldn't be QUITE so stupid as to lemming out of the house but it's probably a good idea for me to dirt block that off. Eventual newbie series of rectangle plans involve converting the edges to a nice stairwell. I've expanded the NPC rooms to 12x8 because if I'm going to give the NPCs boring shapes while I start out, the least I can do is give them some extra room right? Got the second floor finished, baby's first bed in the Central area with temporary Hay walls closing off the rest of the second floor in case more NPCs spawn.

If they go down the central rope pillar though, then gently caress them they got what was coming to em.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Making a dirt skybridge is definitely the way to go for strange plants now. I got 5 or 6 in a few minutes just by going back and forth over mine. Now my character looks like a goddamn mess.

Sublime

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Preset. There's also a maximum size you can get from planting acorns and it's fairly small, so if you want giant trees you need to preserve the ones already on the map.

Section Z posted:

Further on the subject of newbie tree questions, is there a trick to make it so tall grass doesn't sprout, or am I stuck mowing the lawn every so often so at least there is enough room for the saplings to grow at all?
There's no way to stop grass from growing other than using a pick to clear it off the ground, which also prevents acorns from being planted. It isn't necessary, though, when an acorn grows it overrides any temporary plants on the tiles it would grow to. If your acorns aren't sprouting, either there's something else stopping it, like another sprout or a piece of terrain, or you just need to give it more time; I've had acorns take over an ingame week to grow before.

Cicadalek posted:

Making a dirt skybridge is definitely the way to go for strange plants now. I got 5 or 6 in a few minutes just by going back and forth over mine. Now my character looks like a goddamn mess.

Sublime
You look like Gato from Chrono Trigger. What the hell are you even wearing?

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Welp, time to try Hardcore Expert mode.

100% chance I die to a dynamite trap or boulder before I get to a boss

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Do statue farms still work? Can I set up a Slime Farm to get a Slime Staff, or is that not possible anymore?

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Cicadalek posted:

Sublime

How far up is your skybridge? It used to be that the fuckers wouldn't spawn within 350 blocks from another dye plant, which necessitated building high in space. (though that may have changed with the new patch) But i never got any spawns there either, so now i'm wondering if they won't grow on the space layer.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

kvx687 posted:

Preset. There's also a maximum size you can get from planting acorns and it's fairly small, so if you want giant trees you need to preserve the ones already on the map.

I'm not the only one who generates throwaway worlds just to chop up all the wood, right? Right??

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm not the only one who generates throwaway worlds just to chop up all the wood, right? Right??

Right. I've clearcut so many worlds at this point, i'm basically a Captain Planet villain.

GrunderGretch
Aug 2, 2011
So I'm totally new to terraria. I've got about 14 hours in and I'm pretty lost on what to do.
I've got a stack and a half of gold, 7 demonite bars and a few stacks of the other stuff.

For gear I've got:
Nightvision helm
Ancient shadow scalemail
Jungle pants
Hasty schakles
Quick feral claws
Intrepid hermes boots
Band of regen
And spiked nature's gift.

I haven't done any bosses, just the falling slime and poo poo. I really need a progression l.p or SOMETHING.

help a nub out..

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Sjonnar posted:

How far up is your skybridge? It used to be that the fuckers wouldn't spawn within 350 blocks from another dye plant, which necessitated building high in space. (though that may have changed with the new patch) But i never got any spawns there either, so now i'm wondering if they won't grow on the space layer.

620' according to the GPS. I should mention I never saw any before the patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

GrunderGretch posted:

So I'm totally new to terraria. I've got about 14 hours in and I'm pretty lost on what to do.
I've got a stack and a half of gold, 7 demonite bars and a few stacks of the other stuff.

For gear I've got:
Nightvision helm
Ancient shadow scalemail
Jungle pants
Hasty schakles
Quick feral claws
Intrepid hermes boots
Band of regen
And spiked nature's gift.

I haven't done any bosses, just the falling slime and poo poo. I really need a progression l.p or SOMETHING.

help a nub out..

I have found, as someone who played a long-rear end time ago, that the Guide actually has useful advice for a new/returning player. But, someone also made a REALLY good post for new players a few pages back, I think.

Edit: Found it

kaxman fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 10, 2015