Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
any dc area warhams want to bring their plastic space barbies over to my basement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I'd almost cross state lines for an invitation like that.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Remember also that Tech Age humans probably didn't have the institutionalized xenophobia or manifest destiny the Imperium has, so it's entirely likely that humans and Eldar got along well, or at least an armistice, or maybe even had open diplomatic relations and dialog. However, Humans probably didn't have much to offer the Eldar, and the Eldar were so much more advanced that a fight would have been crushing for the humans and trivial for the Eldar. Any ties with the Eldar would have fallen apart after the Fall and subsequent Terran Golden Age, as no human records exist of such a time, and the Eldar that are left alive are the most isolationist and paranoid ones that got out the earliest.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The Eldar that made it out are basically Quakers who aren't pacifist.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

any dc area warhams want to bring their plastic space barbies over to my basement

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Hand posted:

As you say, I have no "skin in the game" but I'm about to as I'm probably going to pick up some undead to play around with. From GWs perspective that's what they are attempting here. To get new players in and move some models that weren't selling anyway. Will it work? I don't know. I'm skeptical at this point. But four of my group are buying the starter set and talking about what factions interest them (this doesn't include the two fantasy players who enjoy AoS). So anecdotally, in our group it's starting off well... We shall see if it maintains any momentum.

I guess one does have to temper their feeling when dealing with a company that is for profit, but basically throwing fantasy under the bus for a new system regardless of the rules quality is an odd decision.

This won't stop me from painting my tyranids or sisters, and I'll still be picking up 30k. I'm keeping my Lizardmen and keeping my copy of 8th edition.
I was going to expand my Ogre Kingdoms and I had a starter force for Eldar and Wood elves that I am basically going to trash now because I have no confidence in the company.

The fact that you mention picking up undead at this point seems a bit "eggs in one basket" to me. There are other systems (Counter Blast for retro scifi, Endless: Fantasy Tactics for fantasy tactics games, Wrath of Kings for great fantasy models with a better ruleset than Sigmar) that you can support that haven't been known for trashing entire systems.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 9, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

No butt stuff, I promise

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I would love to be a Necron Phaeron. Being an undying insane skeleton robot leading scores of other undying skeleton robots is a best case scenario for anyone, I think.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

LordAba posted:

The fact that you mention picking up undead at this point seems a bit "eggs in one basket" to me. There are other systems (Counter Blast for retro scifi, Endless: Fantasy Tactics for fantasy tactics games, Wrath of Kings for great fantasy models with a better ruleset than Sigmar) that you can support that haven't been known for trashing entire systems.

Boils down to what my group is interested in playing.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Are there still any places (who deliver to the UK) to order bitz from aside from ebay? I've managed to acquire three Hive Guard bodies without any arms, and figure there must be some weapon arms out there from people who built them as Tyrant Guard instead. Ideally I'd like to give them Shockcannons as I have a bunch of Impaler cannons already.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

xtothez posted:

Are there still any places (who deliver to the UK) to order bitz from aside from ebay? I've managed to acquire three Hive Guard bodies without any arms, and figure there must be some weapon arms out there from people who built them as Tyrant Guard instead. Ideally I'd like to give them Shockcannons as I have a bunch of Impaler cannons already.

http://www.thetrolltrader.com/catalog/painting_tools__hobby-sculpting_tools__texturising_products-instant_mold/70

This is how I solved my bits problem.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Hand posted:

Be a leader, not a follower. A leader! No follower!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cakefool posted:

What's the back story on this?

I'd re-tell it, but I'm not sure the thread wants to trigger Hixson again. He shakes violently every time he sees tau models on ebay.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 10, 2015

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

LordAba posted:

Be a leader, not a follower. A leader! No follower!

You clearly have no idea how my group dynamic has worked. I'm going to guess you don't listen to The Independent Characters. I have been the defacto leader of my gaming group for... well basically forever... so after years of that I'm taking a step back. So going to just go with the flow for awhile.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I play at victory comics

Oops this isn't the x wangs thread

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 10, 2015

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Hand posted:

You clearly have no idea how my group dynamic has worked. I'm going to guess you don't listen to The Independent Characters. I have been the defacto leader of my gaming group for... well basically forever... so after years of that I'm taking a step back. So going to just go with the flow for awhile.

I listen. I just missed the last couple episodes. I still have to check the sisters show of force.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghost Hand posted:

That and aesthetics. Nothing compares to 40k's aesthetic for me. If there were a Starcraft miniatures game or a dedicated Fallout game that had a following around here, I'd totally be down for that. I've heard This is Not a Test is pretty good for the latter, and there are some third party unlicensed Fallout figs out there, but even then that wouldn't replace my need for a game at 40k's scale.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone know of any good kits with power spears? I want to make a Emp Childrens jump unit with power spears, and other than the ones that come with their terminators I'm not sure what to use.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

SRM posted:

That and aesthetics. Nothing compares to 40k's aesthetic for me. If there were a Starcraft miniatures game or a dedicated Fallout game that had a following around here, I'd totally be down for that. I've heard This is Not a Test is pretty good for the latter, and there are some third party unlicensed Fallout figs out there, but even then that wouldn't replace my need for a game at 40k's scale.

Speaking of which, the Blackstar Corsairs in the new Reaper Bones kickstarter almost looks like Starcraft Marines to me funny enough.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cooked Auto posted:

Speaking of which, the Blackstar Corsairs in the new Reaper Bones kickstarter almost looks like Starcraft Marines to me funny enough.

Oh wow, those are really intentionally Terran Marines. Reaper's done plenty of "totally not (licensed thing)" minis before.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

LordAba posted:

Anyone know of any good kits with power spears? I want to make a Emp Childrens jump unit with power spears, and other than the ones that come with their terminators I'm not sure what to use.

High elf models have lots of nice spears and polearms and axes.

Uh, don't wait too long though.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

LordAba posted:

I've made power spears/bills by sawing the ends off of staves and replacing them with sword or knife blades (or, for halberds, axes). Lot of staffs out there--flagpoles, GK kit, etc. Not sure about how to get them cheaply for the 30k marks of armor, but I think you can fit the GK hands into MkII/III/IV sockets.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

It's been a while, in Space Hulk, do Terminators have wounds?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kilo147 posted:

It's been a while, in Space Hulk, do Terminators have wounds?

Nope. If a genestealer beats them in close combat they're just dead. Basically, if they take any damage at all from any source they're just dead.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Ghost Hand posted:

They're gonna switch over to all Magic the Gathering, all the time

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Might another company take up the reigns of fantasy 8th ed like pathfinder did d&d 3rd ed? That would dissuade any 40k end times shenanigans (at least with the rules) because if there's anything GW hates its other companies benefitting from their mistakes,

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hamshot posted:

Might another company take up the reigns of fantasy 8th ed like pathfinder did d&d 3rd ed? That would dissuade any 40k end times shenanigans (at least with the rules) because if there's anything GW hates its other companies benefitting from their mistakes,

Man tic is already well on their way with that, yes. The difference of course is that they don't rely on false advertising and grognard sentiments.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Considering how protective of their IP they are and having demonstrated the degree they're willing to go in order to attempt to co-opt generic terms like "space marine, "space", and "marine" under the Warhammer(©) umbrella I'd say no company that wants to get drawn into a pointless legal battle over war dolls.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/PERTURABO.html

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I like that the Primarch with the most pauldrons is standing on an even larger pauldron.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Also:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Oh, motherfucker. Goodbye, wallet.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
Looks unbalanced and weird without the hammer.

panascope posted:

I like that the Primarch with the most pauldrons is standing on an even larger pauldron.

We need to go deeper

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

boom boom boom posted:

They're gonna switch over to all Magic the Gathering, all the time

It would probably only take a push..

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Good news! The last magic core set pre release is this weekend!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
What?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

PantsOptional posted:

Oh, motherfucker. Goodbye, wallet.

quote:

Hi Folks, I’m very excited to announce Jake and I have been invited to create a special project which will be a part of the current Reaper Bones III Kickstarter. This will be a special 'guest spot' for a Victoria Miniatures piece, and will appear approximately half way through the campaign. This piece is being specifically designed with Bones in mind, it will be cast in grey PVC, not the usual Bones white.

I assure you I have no intention (or the cash) at this point, to retool the entire range in PVC. This project is currently a one off, that will give me the experience of working on project for metal tooling, and will expose Vic Minis to a whole new audience. It will be a good learning exercise, and I look forward to hearing customer feedback. It gives Jake and I the chance to make a big plastic kit without the usual risk and expense. Best of all Bones will enable us to offer if for an insanely cheap price if purchased as part of the KS. It will also be available after the KS from Vic Minis, and we have lots of resin add ons already in the works.

It’s still a work in progress so I'll be posting some more pics in the next few days.

Cheers, V

:homebrew:

Good news though, shouldn't be more than $20 plus shipping

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Direwolf posted:

Give Deets

Come to NOVA Open. Participate in the first ever SRM cup.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
A fantastic move for vic minis. They deserve more exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

Come to NOVA Open. Participate in the first ever SRM cup.
If this actually gets organized and happens I will make a trophy to send you guys for my namesake cup. (it will not be an athletic cup)

• Locked thread