Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

kastein posted:

96-down XJs are known for blower motor switch and harness/connector failures just like that as well.

Yep. I didn't witness this, but I was at the same spot the weekend after to see the scorch marks on the ground. Bad blower motor, wheeled anyway, no extinguishers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
That cleanup must be tons of fun too, insult to injury. :smithicide:

How do you get something like that back off the trail? Sawzall and two pickup trucks?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
That was actually the end of the trail, so it's just a short trip downhill along a dirt road for maybe a mile back to the campground. lovely thing is they left it there overnight, then came back the next day to pick it up and all but one bolt in the front bumper was gone and all of the tools, hi-lift and snatch blocks that survived were taken.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Goddamn. :stonk:

I have seen that pic before but usually with a joke about dana 35s attached - "THEY TOLD ME TO DITCH MY DANA 35 - I DIDN'T LISTEN" :v::v::v:

Speaking of dana 35s:

Friends don't let friends wheel on a d35, Ford 7.5, or GM 10 bolt.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Who needs on-board air when you have an on-board milling machine?

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Ha! First ever total axle rebuild I ever did was a Dana 35 in a Wrangler. I looked like someone had stuck a hand grenade in the center of the carrier. We were all scratching our heads on that one. I guessed he was spinning one tire at a high rate of speed and then the tire got grip as soon as it was off the ice and BAM.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Enourmo posted:

are you a wizard

Also, I know ford made a special extractor for those, but I recall someone mentioning that it could break, and that ford or someone else made an extractor for that, too. Was that true or just comedic hyperbole?

I know this was forever ago but I actually made a tool to do exactly that on a lathe. It had a centering piece that went in at the top of the plug hole with a shaft that held a carbide burr that was held in by set screws.

Bad times.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Joe Mama posted:

Ha! First ever total axle rebuild I ever did was a Dana 35 in a Wrangler. I looked like someone had stuck a hand grenade in the center of the carrier. We were all scratching our heads on that one. I guessed he was spinning one tire at a high rate of speed and then the tire got grip as soon as it was off the ice and BAM.

Huh. I was wondering how so many people were blowing up diffs, as I'd have thought your tires would run out of grip before the metal ran out of strength, but I totally forgot about shock loading.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Two part drive-shafts are for chumps (me).

Good job carrier bearing rubber, you have escaped the wrath of your overlord metallic housing, and made the 1/2 mile drive home both loud and exciting:

Fixed that nonsense today. Rolling around under a van that doesn't require jacks to work on the undercarriage is too much fun.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
When I finally put aside enough money to get a better axle, I'm going to build a museum for my D35. It's survived lots of wheel-spinning climbs and hard launches. It should have blown up three or four times by now. Maybe I'm not shock-loading it hard enough :mediocre:

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

RIP Ford 8.8

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Mines less raw carnage and more :psyduck: , customer purchased a 96 Hyundai accent in need of a tuneup then drove it to us to determine what it needed. Primary complaints are inability to go over 20mph and flashing check enine light.

Engine compression 1 to 4 was 150, 120, 90, 105 with spec in manual requiring 234 pounds +/- 15%.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Have I ever mentioned how much I hate convertibles?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Mines less raw carnage and more :psyduck: , customer purchased a 96 Hyundai accent in need of a tuneup then drove it to us to determine what it needed. Primary complaints are inability to go over 20mph and flashing check enine light.

Jesus christ how many miles are on that thing? (the car, not the plugs, though the plugs are probably original..)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Engine compression 1 to 4 was 150, 120, 90, 105 with spec in manual requiring 234 pounds +/- 15%.

What kind of genius buys a car with a flashing check engine light that can't go over 20mph. And a 19 year old Hyundai of all things.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wonder how the test drive went.

"oh yeah we uh put a limiter on it because of liability. yeah that's it."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was gonna make some crack about the test drive but I think we all know the answer is "what do you mean, test drive?"

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It probably never got beyond the sentence should be an easy fix

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
the part is in the trunk, I just never had the time

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
"Well it doesn't have a battery/tags/insurance so no test drives, but..."

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Not my photo, I just enjoyed the elegant simplicity of the shot composition.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

14 INCH SLIT posted:

More like SNAP-OFF, amirate?

:smuggo:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's all fun and games until you punch the engine block after breaking a wrench with a cheater bar on the end.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

PhotoKirk posted:

More like SNAP-OFF, amirate?

:smuggo:

I see you read Mechanics are Awesome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That wrench went to the Mr. Miyagi school of mechanics.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

14 INCH SLIT posted:

How many years since the last oil change?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

14 INCH SLIT posted:

I like to think this is what happens when you have a car that has literally only been driven once a week by a little old lady to the grocery store and to church, for several years.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geoj posted:

I like to think this is what happens when you have a car that has literally only been driven once a week by a little old lady to the grocery store and to church, for several years.

Having dealt with countless cars like you're describing I can tell you they look absolutely nothing like that - condensation emulsified into the oil is usually the biggest problem.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Snap-ON
Snap-OFF

The Snapper

*snap snap*

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So there was a nice little traffic back up a few blocks from my house. Once I finally got past it, I see a Chrysler with the front driver side wheel at a jaunty angle and the front end of the car on the ground. I got a good chuckle out of that after reading it's a common problem in this thread.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I think some 1st gen Priuses are still kicking in metermaid duty for some cities. I do a double take when I see one, but they are out there.

Bringing this back just to ad, say what you will about prius's and I for one say a lot, but ive seen some (including first gen) come in our shop with absurd mileages on them doin just fine.

They don't even need oil. This was posted before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO2pxsFs3PQ

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 9, 2015

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Slavvy posted:

Having dealt with countless cars like you're describing I can tell you they look absolutely nothing like that - condensation emulsified into the oil is usually the biggest problem.

Yeah, that just looks like a tired old engine. I feel like that sludge is probably the only thing keeping the compression up on the first two cylinders :q:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Snap-ON
Snap-OFF

The Snapper

*snap snap*

Dealer prolly wont warranty it saying it was used improperly. Seriously tho it would take a lot of force to break a snappy wrench.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

Dealer prolly wont warranty it saying it was used improperly. Seriously tho it would take a lot of force to break a snappy wrench.

Is it because they usually bend first? One reason I dislike Snapon is when I'm in a tight hole, the wrench will deflect too much. Throw one of my Protos or old Craftsman and we are good to go.

Edit: I have managed to snap off cheap wrenches such as common auto parts store ones, but never one of the more major brands. I've actually manged to crack more sockets than anything.

HFX fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 9, 2015

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
If your putting enough force on a 40-60 dollar wrench to bend or snap the fucker, you are not using the right tool for the job was kind of my point. I cant imagine being at the poo poo end of one when it goes. Personally i rock Matcos and have yet to have one strip a nut on me.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 10, 2015

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Preoptopus posted:

Bringing this back just to ad, say what you will about prius's and I for one say a lot, but ive seen some (including first gen) come in our shop with absurd mileages on them doin just fine.

They don't even need oil. This was posted before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO2pxsFs3PQ

I didn't understand why he was letting it run until the end.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Crustashio posted:

I didn't understand why he was letting it run until the end.

I imagine the owner tore the oil pan off somehow and then decided to drive it to the shop like that. At this point the engine is scrap, may as well let it run until the end.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

NoWake posted:

I imagine the owner tore the oil pan off somehow and then decided to drive it to the shop like that. At this point the engine is scrap, may as well let it run until the end.

Still pretty retarded, unless the vehicle itself is getting scrapped. It could easily throw another rod, breaking the starter, manifolds, sensors, radiator, bodywork, etc. Worst case could even break the crank and then break the bellhousing or input of the transmission. I've been tempted to kill and old engine like that but there is always a risk for a lot more collateral damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

FuzzKill posted:

Still pretty retarded, unless the vehicle itself is getting scrapped. It could easily throw another rod, breaking the starter, manifolds, sensors, radiator, bodywork, etc. Worst case could even break the crank and then break the bellhousing or input of the transmission. I've been tempted to kill and old engine like that but there is always a risk for a lot more collateral damage.
I know people like to do things to cars with Tannerite, but has anyone actually tried to run an engine off the stuff? :v:

...and what happened to the :science: where he's electrocuting himself, I need it.