Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

demonR6 posted:

It's no secret HS is going to get a new name, they just have not come out with it yet. Anyone who has been to the park recently knows of the closures not to mention what has already been made public i.e. the animation area closure and the entire backlot tours including Catastrophe Canyon also the American Idol show. Indy stunt show and Lights, Action, Motors closing is not a surprise I personally know someone who was a camera tech at AI who was given the option to move in advance of the closure and when they said "I'll take Indy!" he was gently told that was not a good idea so he said "Okay then how about Lights.." yeah, that might not be a good idea either and the manager spilled the beans sort of. Frozen summer garbage was moved to AI and it was going to be revamped but that was scrapped. It was in the back adjacent to Muppets in a theater that was being used for conventions but all that was completely scrapped and now there is a new area being built for it which leads to a really large swath of the park going to be overhauled for either Cars, Star Wars or... When we asked my in-law who knows much more than he wants to tell about Muppets going away he said with a robotic tone "I can neither confirm nor deny Muppets is no longer going to be part of the park."

I look forward to current Disney staff making GBS threads terrible cheap Star Wars facades ala Six Flags all over nearly off-the-rack amusement park rides while a tiny dedicated group of muppet fanatics screams and rants on the internet, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Macaluso posted:

Is the projection show still doing Frozen or did they update it to Big Hero 6?

I loved what they did for the others. When Tangled was out, Rapunzel pops her head out of a window and her hair falls all the way down the castle. When Wreck-it Ralph was out the castle turned to brick and Ralph smashed it down. Frozen, Elsa turns the castle to ice.

Honestly the projection show might be more of a highlight than the fireworks afterwards

Those are both there still, but they did a Let it Go montage too. No Big Hero in yet. I agree, the projection show is such a unique display unlike anything I've ever seen, and Wishes is "just" lights and fireworks. Really damned good lights and fireworks, but still. I defeinitely still tear up at the end if Wishes every time though. Let your WISSSSH come TRUUUUUUUEEEEEEEE *darkness* *Jiminy Cricket voice* boom boom boom BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM *huge finale*. That one moment still feels magical every single time and never gets old, and reminds me of all the great memories and feelings we've had at Disney over the years before moving here, which is great because I was scared living so close to Disney would burn me out.

Also, taking my little cousins to the parks this week. They're 7 and 8, and they've done MK and AK already this year so were doing EPCOT/HS one day and a watermark the second day. I've never done either water park, so which do you think is better for kids that age? Blizzard Beach has the better theme, but the shark swim experience and huge lazy river sounds like the better unique attractions. Also, which park has more 2-5 person water slides?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 9, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I look forward to current Disney staff making GBS threads terrible cheap Star Wars facades ala Six Flags all over nearly off-the-rack amusement park rides while a tiny dedicated group of muppet fanatics screams and rants on the internet, honestly.

How is this not promising? ;D What is going to be really fun is watching the Disney Boards blow up and people have absolute melt-downs when their favorite poo poo closes..

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Bottom Liner posted:

I agree, the projection show is such a unique display unlike anything I've ever seen, and Wishes is "just" lights and fireworks. Really damned good lights and fireworks, but still. I defeinitely still tear up at the end if Wishes every time though. Let your WISSSSH come TRUUUUUUUEEEEEEEE *darkness* *Jiminy Cricket voice* boom boom boom BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM *huge finale*. That one moment still feels magical every single time and never gets old, and reminds me of all the great memories and feelings we've had at Disney over the years before moving here, which is great because I was scared living so close to Disney would burn me out.

Sounds like you really need to hop over the pond, we have a show you might be interested in... :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Man, we're already planning a Tokyo trip because my wife has been to Paris, but that looks amazing.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I'm also planning a Tokyo trip too, though there isn't as much info out there on planning, found only a few, which pale in comparison to the World. If you hear about a baka gaijin getting trampled in the opening run to The monsters Inc ride it might just be a goon.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

The Disney Tourist Blog has some good trip reports for Tokyo Disney. At the very least he takes good pictures.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Edna Mode posted:

The Disney Tourist Blog has some good trip reports for Tokyo Disney. At the very least he takes good pictures.

Yeah that's one of the sites I was looking at, the pictures just make me just want to buy a ticket and go right now.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Tokyo Disney is #1 on my list to get to.

Speaking of Tokyo, why is Duffy the Disney Bear such a monumental hit in Asia? I read that the Duffy meet and greet in Epcot is going away at some point (if it hasn't already), but that line is always packed with Asian tourists. A lot of the girls from Japan also carry Duffy purses, and I've seen several that will coordinate their daily outfit with what their Duffy is wearing that day. Meanwhile, back in Tokyo, you might actually see the Duffy promotional bus...

I also need to start taking more pictures when I go to the parks.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Doronin posted:

Speaking of Tokyo, why is Duffy the Disney Bear such a monumental hit in Asia?

Because, Japan.

I remember seeing Duffy stuff when it was first released at DL years and years ago, and thought it was an absolute "we don't give a single gently caress" money grab. Minnie's teddy bear? Seriously? You have a vast collection of IP and this is what you're trying to sell the kids now?

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Doronin posted:

Tokyo Disney is #1 on my list to get to.

Speaking of Tokyo, why is Duffy the Disney Bear such a monumental hit in Asia?

Japan's "pretty big" on character goods in general. Pretty much every single... THING in Japan has a mascot of some description, even the local governmental entities - John Oliver did a brief video on the craze.

Duffy didn't originate from Japan, but it's definitely where Duffy (and Shellie May, and Gelatoni) is most popular. There's a dedicate shop in DisneySea, and every time they release new products, you have to take part in a lottery to get a ticket to be allowed to enter the store and buy a maximum of two items.

Stitch is also insanely popular. The Japanese version of Stitch Live/Stitch Encounter is opening next week and they've put up Stitch posters pretty much everywhere around Tokyo.

Characters loving sell in Japan.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Just a big shoutout to Braksgirl for all her help with planning this WDW trip. Totally recommend working with her if you've not gone before and have 50 million questions and random scenarios, without the free time to find out the answers.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Night-time Spectacular Rankings:

1) Illuminations: Reflections of Earth
2) The Magic, The Memories, and You/Wishes
Distant 3) Fantasmic

And regarding Duffy, Tough Pigs has a pretty good and hilarious summary of him and another invented mascot character from Universal Studios Japan.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm still mad they closed Fake Japanese Disneyland, really. Though that Sega theme park looks really cool.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

In the frozen sing along. Wow. This is a bit scarier than a Hannah Montana concert. I am winning best dad and husband right now. The cast in between songs is fairly funny.

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

I am known as the Queen of Delayed Reactions for a reason, heh.
I'm back had an incredibly amazing time! I was interviewed by such a nice and helpful man named Greg. His office was so cool, it looked like a Disney store exploded in there :) He made me feel so comfortable. He said he wanted me for Attractions as soon as possible. He asked when I could start and I said, now if you want me to, lol. We both got a laugh from that one. Anyway he gave me a list of 3 things to do and told me to call him on his cell when I had them done. He was very complimentary of how I handle myself and said he could tell I was serious and motivated. The first one was find a place to stay and I'd have to look at my notes to remember the 2nd and 3rd things. But he wants me to go ahead and at least have a place so he'll know I'm safe. The other 2 were along those lines and I'll edit them in when my brains working again. I loved the Casting Agency. So much neat stuff! Me and one other lady were the only ones dressed appropriately for an interview. I couln't believe the people who were in jeans and flip flops and shorts.

Cast members: Does that sound like I got the job and just need to move? Feel free to ask anything because my brains out to lunch and I know I left out some info from the interview.

I did so much in the couple days I was there and got heat exhaustion twice. Several things I did for the first time such as Star Tours and it was awesome!! I was listening to C3PO ramble on and the BOOM out of nowhere Darth Vader! It scared and surprised me so of course I yelled "OH poo poo!" I absolutely loved that attraction!! :) Soarin' was another first and it was so incredible to me that I cried just a little. I even got to be the Time Keeper and wear the little red badge, so cool. I''d never seen Wishes either and I felt like the narrator was talking directly to me. It was just so freakin beautiful and amazing! OH, I love the new Test Track, then again, I've always loved it. I'll spare you a run down on every ride and all the stuff I did. But I truly had the time of my life.

This next part is mortifying but I can laugh about it now. By the time MSEP started, and it was running late, my poor brain was just done. All the walking, no sleep and horrible heat & humidity really got to me and I fell asleep on the curb. Eating a hot dog. So, I missed most of the parade I had so been looking forward to. My trip partner tried so hard to keep me awake so I did get to see snippets of it and Mickey and Minnie waved at me :) I know for a fact I looked drunk, but I only had one Grand Marnier slush several hours before. It was so good I wish I had one now! My poor friend tried so hard, but I'd fall asleep with my Coke in my hand and straw 6 inches from my mouth, or pass out with my phone in my hand thinking I was texting my son but the battery had died hours earlier, lol. My friend is like a saint, he tried so hard to keep me awake and took up for me when people would ask what was wrong with me when I'd fall asleep on the curb, bench, monorail, bus and even standing up, haha! I've never been so sleepy and worn out my life! Every time he'd say "Honey, wake up, you've waited so long to see this, I'd sort of wake up and yell, I'm awake!! Ahh well, at least I saw Wishes and didn't have my usual cryfest because I was leaving the park for the last time this trip. I just hope like Hell I don't end up some kind of meme or viral video, LOL. It was pretty bad but I was just so out of it. I don't take meds anymore and rarely drink, so I know I was extremely exhausted.

I could go on and on but you all know what it's like there and I had a great time. But, packing all of the parks into 2 days with only about 3 hours sleep was not the best idea. I got me 2 awesome shirts and some really cool stuff at Downtown Disney for my family :) And I was too tired to cry when we left so that's good. I slept about 5 of the 10 hours home.

I took like 1500 pictures and last night my phone camera died and the whole phone is acting wonky. I think the Florida humidity got to it. Verizon better honor my insurance plan! Hopefully it will let me post a couple of pics.

I had the time of my life and all the castmembers were awesome except maybe the guy at ToT who was a huge douche to me (but now I realize that's just part of their job, maybe). Fell in love with all the amazing slushie alcohol drinks, I only had 4 spaced out between 3 days. And I love how you can have a drink in the park and just chill for a minute.

TLDR before I write a book: He said the job is mine, I just need to find a way to get a place near the World as soon as possible. 2 days in the parks is for sure not enough, I hurt all over. And I wish so bad I was still there and had a place to live so I could go ahead and schedule Transitions. So, now I guess I'll start looking for a place and finish up his list so I can call him. Does this all sound on the up and up to you all?
(Sorry this was so long)

Wishes!

Splash Mountain. I'm in the green pretending to be scared. Maybe :wth:

Test Track did a number on my hair, hahaha

Delayed Reaction fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 13, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Another SPF 100 consumer, I see. We are legion.

Congrats on the gig.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Aw, you look adorable and so happy, girl. I'm glad you had a great time!

I'm no CM, but if the dude gave you his cell and stuff, I think it sounds like you got the job.

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Another SPF 100 consumer, I see. We are legion.

Congrats on the gig.

Thank you so much MrYenko! It only took about 10 minutes in the line for Splash Mountain for me to turn red. And, like a dummy, I didn't even wear any sunscreen.

Braksgirl posted:

Aw, you look adorable and so happy, girl. I'm glad you had a great time!

I'm no CM, but if the dude gave you his cell and stuff, I think it sounds like you got the job.

Thanks so much Braksgirl! I was very happy the entire time and STILL can't get the smile off my face. I truly had the time of my life and really needed it. I've had a rough time lately. All I need to do now is find a place to stay. Then when that happens we will start the paper work and schedule Transitions!! woohoooo!!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That's great news Delayed Reaction!
Be sure to let us know where you end up so we can give secret goon handshakes and something something stairs in your house while in line.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Congrats Delayed! That's super super awesome. :)

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Congrats, Delayed! Can't wait to hear where you get placed in Attractions, assuming you're not prohibited from telling everyone. Good luck with everything!

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Good job, Delayed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pguMUFyJ3_U

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

couldcareless posted:

That's great news Delayed Reaction!
Be sure to let us know where you end up so we can give secret goon handshakes and something something stairs in your house while in line.

Thanks so much couldcareless! I'll make sure to figure out a discrete way to identifiable by my fellow goons :) It will be so cool to run into you all

Aww Dr. Benway, thank you!! I have always loved that song and while I was watching it some kind of dust flew into my eyes ;) Can't tell you how many stars I've wished on in the last few weeks!!

Doronin posted:

Congrats, Delayed! Can't wait to hear where you get placed in Attractions, assuming you're not prohibited from telling everyone. Good luck with everything!

Thanks so much Doronin, I'm just thrilled!! Thank you for the luck, I'll need it. All I need now before I call my Disney guy is a place to stay, even if it's just temporary. I can't wait to find out where I'll be either! He said he wanted to surprise me. With a big smile on his face, lol

Tim Whatley posted:

Congrats Delayed! That's super super awesome. :)
Thank you Tim! I'm super excited :)

Delayed Reaction fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 15, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If I was in charge of attractions, every new employee would start on It'a a Small World and end up on ToT :)

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

If I was in charge of attractions, every new employee would start on It'a a Small World and end up on ToT :)

Yay!! 2 of my favorites!!!

Guess what??? My awesome cousin and her family live 30 minutes from Disney World and she just told me her door is always open for me :sparkles: OMG this might actually be coming together and really work out for real!!!!! She's calling tomorrow to discuss details :)

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Delayed Reaction posted:

Yay!! 2 of my favorites!!!
You might not think that after hearing the "It's a Small World" song for eight hours a day, every day.

Actually, if hell exists, I'm pretty sure that's it.

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

You might not think that after hearing the "It's a Small World" song for eight hours a day, every day.

Actually, if hell exists, I'm pretty sure that's it.

I can see how that could happen. I love it so much (now) though. I started singing when the ride started and then my friend did. Before it was over we had practically everyone in our boat and as many others I could see singing along with us at the top of our lungs! It was both a magical moment and hilarious :)
But I'm pretty sure I couldn't even take it that long

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Delayed Reaction posted:

I can see how that could happen. I love it so much (now) though. I started singing when the ride started and then my friend did. Before it was over we had practically everyone in our boat and as many others I could see singing along with us at the top of our lungs! It was both a magical moment and hilarious :)
But I'm pretty sure I couldn't even take it that long

The music only plays in the ride. It does not play in the queue or other cast areas. Working Small World is fine. It's the fact that if you work there, you also work Peter Pan. That's where it gets hellish

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I can finally make my fastpasses tomorrow. Super stoked. Also, first time staying at Coronado. People have told me to request Casitas 4 or 5 because it's generally close to everything.

My question is, if I request this using the online check in, will it actually help anything? Or should I call and talk to a human being? I only ask because last year I requested close to Port Royale at Caribbean and wound up in the Pirate Rooms...:iiam:

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Tim Whatley posted:

I can finally make my fastpasses tomorrow. Super stoked. Also, first time staying at Coronado. People have told me to request Casitas 4 or 5 because it's generally close to everything.

My question is, if I request this using the online check in, will it actually help anything? Or should I call and talk to a human being? I only ask because last year I requested close to Port Royale at Caribbean and wound up in the Pirate Rooms...:iiam:

I haven't found any difference between putting requests in online or calling. Most people I know have better luck NOT doing online check in and requesting what they want when they get there during check in.

The rooms aren't assigned until a day or two before you arrive anyway.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 17, 2015

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Braksgirl posted:

I haven't found any difference between putting requests in online or calling. Most pereople I know have better luck NOT doing online check in and requesting what they want when they get there during check in.

The rooms aren't assigned until a day or two before you arrive anyway.

Interesting. Thanks!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Tim Whatley posted:

I just did my Fastpass stuff yesterday. It's weird that the website doesn't seem to give you times to choose from -- just a few options for the entire day's worth of fastpasses. It also doesn't seem to take dining reservations into account at all.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

I just did my Fastpass stuff yesterday. It's weird that the website doesn't seem to give you times to choose from -- just a few options for the entire day's worth of fastpasses. It also doesn't seem to take dining reservations into account at all.

Yeah they tend to just do it based on a combination of what is available and what you'd like. I find it helps to just keep your dining reservations opened separately somewhere else when you book them.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

WhiteHowler posted:

You can always edit them after they give you initial choices. I find it's always better to accept what they give you then go back in and customize.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

BigBudgetSequel were you manning the front fast pass booth at Haunted Mansion at 9:36?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Mykkel posted:

BigBudgetSequel were you manning the front fast pass booth at Haunted Mansion at 9:36?

I do

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I do believe I was

(quote is not edit, but whoops)

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Got up early to make Fastpasses anddddd oops it's tomorrow actually. Dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I do believe I was

(quote is not edit, but whoops)

Cool. I thought when I went through it might be you. Next time I will stop and say hi.