Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gurkhali
Apr 25, 2006
Oh Andy Johnson's Magic, he wears a magic hat.....
Looking at the Mantic shop, there appears to be a few different Undead army sets with differing contents at around the £100 mark.
Is there one which is considered better value than the others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
If you're looking for cheap Elohi, see if you can find some Ex-Illis Archangels. They look the part and actually have some pretty nice details. Game is defunct now, so hopefully you can find them somewhere for cheap.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Is an all angel army possible?

And how much is the ex illis stuff going for now?

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
No idea, you'd have to go searching for it. I almost bought a load off ebay for cheap, but that was over a year ago. Some European stores might have some in stock, but you'll need to go searching for it.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Is the new Deadzone coming out (at some point) going to be a new starter set? Just curious if you'd need the original Deadzone or any materials if you wanted to join in whenever the new rules get released.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's going to be a second edition, so you shouldn't need any old stuff. I think they're going to do something to address their terrible card system, so that will be a plus.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Moola posted:

Someone needs to try and bring a Basilea army into a GW store and try and 'play' a game of AoS with them

actually don't, this is probably the same as wearing the wrong gang colours in the wrong neighborhood

I had some non GW models in my mordheim list and the official policy was "I don't care, but don't bring them out and brag when there's customers in the store" which is actually pretty reasonable.

I wouldn't expect a restaurant owner to be too happy if I brought takeout in and started loudly talking how good it is and how much cheaper it is.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's going to be a second edition, so you shouldn't need any old stuff. I think they're going to do something to address their terrible card system, so that will be a plus.

What's terrible about the cards? I like the cards.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Is the new Deadzone coming out (at some point) going to be a new starter set? Just curious if you'd need the original Deadzone or any materials if you wanted to join in whenever the new rules get released.

New starter set, cheaper entry level

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Thinking of doing acutal angels instead of dragons-as-angels, now. Thing is, I'd like them to be female, mostly because I grew up on Magic I guess. Reaper's Angel of Shadow looks great and is coming in Bones, and Deva looks pretty good too, but beyond that I could use more suggestions beyond 'buy angel wing bits and convert". I really liked the Reaper Angel of Justice in thumbnail, but then I looked at the full image and she's topless. I don't want to paint a tity mini in my army. :<

Thinking of using Troll Slayer Sophie from Bones II s an Ur-Elohim, bat wings and all. Though Deva's greater size woudl make her make more sense as the lone Ur.

EDIT: Oh, missed Reaper's Ithuriel. She could work too.

Not really sure how many different ones I'll need. Depends on how many Elohim I use, I guess! Three different troop types, with filler, could be sufficient for a unit, even a horde (or was it regiment? The bigger size of angels), maybe!

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 9, 2015

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You can only get the cards if you buy the starter, and you have to buy a card upgrade deck if you want cards for any of the second wave models. There's even a tiny third wave that doesn't have any cards at all. The cards should come with the models.

A smaller issue, but for competitive play, mission cards are a pretty terrible mechanic. It's far too easy to stack the deck, even accidentally, and almost impossible to catch it.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

NTRabbit posted:

New starter set, cheaper entry level

I keep missing out on the Deadzone kickstarters for various reasons (and had to sell my Dungeon Saga pledge at a firesale price earlier this year due to a brief medical emergency), but I swear one of these days I'm going to get into Mantic games.

I was thinking of holding out until they do a Fantasy Deadzone, but I'd be down with nabbing the new set with the pathfinders and veer-myn when it releases. A 2x2 game is going to be a lot easier to make space for than a true wargame sadly.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You can only get the cards if you buy the starter, and you have to buy a card upgrade deck if you want cards for any of the second wave models. There's even a tiny third wave that doesn't have any cards at all. The cards should come with the models.

A smaller issue, but for competitive play, mission cards are a pretty terrible mechanic. It's far too easy to stack the deck, even accidentally, and almost impossible to catch it.

Ah, yeah, the method of delivery for the cards kinda sucks. I love the mission cards mechanic, though, it adds a lot to the metagame in bluffing and double-bluffing over objectives. Deck-stacking could be an issue, I guess, but you could always go with whatever Magic tournaments do for that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Getting the cards isn't ideal, but I completely disagree with you otherwise - the unit cards are useful, and the random secret mission cards make the game. I'm not sure how you would do it differently, short of using a d8 roll to pick a mission from s numbered list, but then you're using the same cards and having a random dice roll instead of a random draw.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 9, 2015

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

NTRabbit posted:

Getting the cards isn't ideal, but I completely disagree with you otherwise - the unit cards are useful, and the random secret mission cards make the game. I'm not sure how you would do it differently, short of using a d8 roll to pick a mission from s numbered list, but then you're using the same cards and having a random dice roll instead of a random draw.

That also has the issue of being WAY harder to hide from your opponent without opening up to cheating.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Yes, and then you discover how much GW has been loving you in the wallet.

That's what happened to me when I discovered cheap laser cutting and free designs floating around. I now have like 3 Infinity tables' wort of HDF terrain (and Infinity likes a lot of terrain).

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Is the cheap laser cutting local or an online thing? Can I get a link if online? I am a sucker for acrylic but buying them from certain places is getting cost inefficient.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

NTRabbit posted:

Bones 3 has a nice Elven Lord Lady on Dragon or Abbess on Panther Chariot counts-as

Saw this in the car this morning and thought the same thing. Definitely going in on that as an add-on.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Esser-Z posted:

Thinking of doing acutal angels instead of dragons-as-angels, now. Thing is, I'd like them to be female, mostly because I grew up on Magic I guess.

I think all of Dark Sword Miniatures' angels are female, if you want to go the fiddly-expensive-metal route. Most of them are clothed, too, which is a plus. Those could make for decent hero-angels, and then something like the Ex Illis with female head swaps for the rank and file.

I kind of hate to plug WizKids, but their D&D Attack Wing game features some flying-humanoid miniatures that don't look too far off from heroic scale. I'm tempted to grab a box or two of their Aaracokra (think poorly-painted hawkmen) to repaint for my own stuff. Might also be good for conversions as well.

e: Actual helpful information! The D&D Attack Wing expansions have things like gargoyles, some ground-based guys, plus they've got models for Bahamut and a very large Tiamat. Also, here's the Dark Sword female angels.

e2: "Clothed" = sort of, considering they're Dark Sword

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 9, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Kilazar posted:

Is the cheap laser cutting local or an online thing? Can I get a link if online? I am a sucker for acrylic but buying them from certain places is getting cost inefficient.
It's a few local dudes cutting terrain almost at cost, but it was a "friends of friends" initiative so no. Also, was, because they're inactive for at least the next few months or so.

enrious
Jan 22, 2015

Gurkhali posted:

Looking at the Mantic shop, there appears to be a few different Undead army sets with differing contents at around the £100 mark.
Is there one which is considered better value than the others?

Personally I'd go Bloodmire Legion and not look back.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I think all of Dark Sword Miniatures' angels are female, if you want to go the fiddly-expensive-metal route. Most of them are clothed, too, which is a plus. Those could make for decent hero-angels, and then something like the Ex Illis with female head swaps for the rank and file.

I kind of hate to plug WizKids, but their D&D Attack Wing game features some flying-humanoid miniatures that don't look too far off from heroic scale. I'm tempted to grab a box or two of their Aaracokra (think poorly-painted hawkmen) to repaint for my own stuff. Might also be good for conversions as well.

e: Actual helpful information! The D&D Attack Wing expansions have things like gargoyles, some ground-based guys, plus they've got models for Bahamut and a very large Tiamat. Also, here's the Dark Sword female angels.

e2: "Clothed" = sort of, considering they're Dark Sword

Those Dark Sword ones are more naked than I'd like, plus pricey. I did see Reaper also has a female archer angel; I could give an Elohi unit the bow artifact and use her!

I'll have to do some more looking around, I guess. And figure out how many Elohim I even need!

Edit: Hmmmm. I could do like a single angel per unit (maybe two for a horde), making them be extra badass and giving them a sweet diorama!

Yeah. Regiment is one angel, horde is two. Cuts down the number I need A LOT, and lets me do sweet scenes around them.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 9, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Speaking of cutting down hordes, I'm thinking, for my goblins, I'm gonna make a legion base, give a sharpstick legion a Brew of Strength (gives them Crushing Strength (1) and, ta-dah, I've made a unit of night goblin fanatics.

I love the magic item system being so simple, so you can adapt things to count as others really easily.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

enrious posted:

Personally I'd go Bloodmire Legion and not look back.

That's what I did, and haven't. IIRC, it's the one with the most hard plastic, but you also get a good sampling of everything else they offered last year.

I'd actually wait until tomorrow to order, there may be some promo deals to coincide with the new PDF.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

That's what I did, and haven't. IIRC, it's the one with the most hard plastic, but you also get a good sampling of everything else they offered last year.

I'd actually wait until tomorrow to order, there may be some promo deals to coincide with the new PDF.

Bloodmire legion is out of stock as of last night, though.

enrious
Jan 22, 2015
You can find it floating around but I agree with waiting a day or two.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

NTRabbit posted:

Kingdoms of Men is the catch-all human army, they have three types of cavalry, one of which is mounted archers, and large cavalry chariots that are also ranged. They also have mounted heroes, 3 of which can be mounted on a horse or a pegasus. An all cavalry army is completely viable, and with proxying and using the standard base footprints it's totally doable to make a Mongol army on horses, with Mongols on wyrms as heavy cavalry, and a Khan on a flying dragon.

Thanks! And yeah, that sounds pretty awesome. The fact that Kings of War seems to encourage creativity (using proxies and other companies' models, mixing stuff from different factions) makes it way more appealing to me than Warhammer ever was, since it feels like I would be able to personalize an army way more. Actually, on that topic, are there any rules for mixing stuff from different factions, besides that Good and Evil factions can't mix and the thing about needing a "solid unit" for each hero or monster unit?

Also, I'm still curious about what exactly the status of the new factions people were talking about is. Should I just wait until tomorrow and see what's in the rulebook?

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I think there's only one shop in my state that carries any significant amount of Mantic stuff, and it's mostly DreadBall. They've had a Kings of War starter on the shelf for a few years because the people around here that wanted to play mass fantasy battles were already invested in WFB. I finally took the plunge and bought it and talked to the owner a bit. It turns out the he's thinking of ordering more because all kinds of people are suddenly interested. Way to kill the inertia that kept your audience loyal, GW.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I finally joined the FB page for one of the other nerd stores in town, and immediately saw two other locals boosting for Mantic and Kings of War 2e in particular. I may not be alone in my plans to get a community of folks playing a good fantasy mass battle wargame in my area. Hooray!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is it worth staying up until midnight in the US or is it going to be on England time? I got a thing this afternoon saying "ONE MORE DAY!" and was like... uh-oh.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

moths posted:

Is it worth staying up until midnight in the US or is it going to be on England time? I got a thing this afternoon saying "ONE MORE DAY!" and was like... uh-oh.

It won't be up midnight US. It'll be sometime late afternoon or early evening, England time.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

moths posted:

Huh. I subscribed to the newsletter earlier in the week and I never got so much as a confirmation. I hope I don't miss out on latest Mantic news :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I didn't even bother with the mailing list, I'll just wait for the explosion of posts in this thread then go download them. :v:

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
There's a weekly gaming club I go to in London called HATE (short for Hackney Area Tabletop Enthusiasts), and they've managed to blag Mantic to come down on July 22nd to demo Kings of War 2. Ronnie will then be coming back on August 12th for another demo, a Q&A session and hopefully bring some other games. Takes place from 6 at the Bethnal Green Working Mens Club.

Thought I'd give this thread a heads-up, as it's a fun little club. Admittedly it mostly 40k but there's also some RPG groups, board games, Infinity/Necromunda and we're in the closing stages of a Blood Bowl league.

Personally I'm going to be badgering Mantic to bring along Deadzone and Mars Attacks stuff for the second date.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Im still confused how your supposed to get big nasty monsters on a 50x50mm base... Ive got two hill giants from Bones 2 that I think would be great, but I dont think they will fit, the same can be said for the plethora of dragons that came in that one.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

LumberingTroll posted:

Im still confused how your supposed to get big nasty monsters on a 50x50mm base... Ive got two hill giants from Bones 2 that I think would be great, but I dont think they will fit, the same can be said for the plethora of dragons that came in that one.

The Hill Giants from Bones 2 both fit on a 50mm base, source = me. The Weapons overhang, but that's not an issue, at least not to me

Those are 50x50 movement trays as bases.

Gonna put dragons on 50x100 most likely, which is what you can put monsters on if they don't fit on a 50x50

vv That too

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 10, 2015

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

quote:

Exceptional Base Sizes
You may need a wider or deeper base for
exceptionally large heroes, monsters or war
engines – in such rare cases, use the smallest
base that you can fit your model on.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yes but now tell me when we might get a starter for them. Because they look really awesomely varied.

The blue armored warrior on the side is a naiad or slyph or something of the sort, right?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Spiderdrake posted:

Yes but now tell me when we might get a starter for them. Because they look really awesomely varied.

The blue armored warrior on the side is a naiad or slyph or something of the sort, right?

Naiads yes, and presumably 1 player starters will go up on sale for them as soon as backers have theirs, which is August/September

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Those lizard dudes look so loving psyched to be there