Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Well, my world somehow died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

GrunderGretch posted:

So I'm totally new to terraria. I've got about 14 hours in and I'm pretty lost on what to do.
I've got a stack and a half of gold, 7 demonite bars and a few stacks of the other stuff.

For gear I've got:
Nightvision helm
Ancient shadow scalemail
Jungle pants
Hasty schakles
Quick feral claws
Intrepid hermes boots
Band of regen
And spiked nature's gift.

I haven't done any bosses, just the falling slime and poo poo. I really need a progression l.p or SOMETHING.

help a nub out..

The first boss will probably spawn randomly at nighttime. If it doesn't then you might also try taking your pile of lenses to one of the demon altars and looking at the crafting screen.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there anything else that carries the night vision effect in the helmet slot? Cause I'm too used to having it on now even though that helmet has been horribly outclassed. I put on real armour for bosses though.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there anything else that carries the night vision effect in the helmet slot? Cause I'm too used to having it on now even though that helmet has been horribly outclassed. I put on real armour for bosses though.

Nope. But there's a potion that does the same thing.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Do statue farms still work? Can I set up a Slime Farm to get a Slime Staff, or is that not possible anymore?

Yep, it turns out you can still get Slime staves from Slime statues.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

SirSamVimes posted:

Well, my world somehow died.

Using the Steam Cloud?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nope, I hadn't cloud-updated it.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Do strange plants grow in space?
I'm trying the dirt skybridge thing but the only place high enough is space and nothing seems to be growing. Is it just that rare?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I've been getting lots of strange plants on my space dirtbridge. Noticeable more, in fact, since the latest patch increased their chance to appear. Take a look at your floating islands and make sure there aren't marigolds or something growing on them. I tore up all the grass on my islands just to be sure.

GrunderGretch
Aug 2, 2011

kaxman posted:

I have found, as someone who played a long-rear end time ago, that the Guide actually has useful advice for a new/returning player. But, someone also made a REALLY good post for new players a few pages back, I think.

Edit: Found it

Thanks a bunch! Oh, I forgot to mention that I have: lights bane, the ivy whip and a stack of falling stars. That's good right?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

winterwerefox posted:

My little town. Ive had this game for ages, but finally got about to playing it. Ive beat Skeletron, Eater of Worlds, Queen Bee, and Eye of Cthulu so far. Ive got a full set of shadow armor, but right now im rocking the meteor set with the space gun.My next goal is to find the goblin tinkerer
I don't see a goblin invasion on the list of things you've beaten there. You need to do that before he'll spawn.

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:

Sjonnar posted:

Well, i don't know what level of progression you're at, but i'm gonna assume you're in hardmode, because i don't think pirates invade in normal. (Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.)
That being assumed, i'll also assume you're in early hardmode, and haven't beaten the mechanical bosses yet. If that's true, then get thee to a spider cave, and there farm the spiders for their fangs. You'll need 76 fangs in total to craft spider armor, spider staff, and queen spider staff.

Then hunt down the queen bee in the underground jungle. You want the bow called Bee's Knees and/or lots of beenades (you can craft beenades from beeswax and grenades).

Next time the little bastards invade, summon your spiders (you should be able to do 4 at that point), drop a queen spider turret, and start spamming beenades/bow-fired bee swarms at them. Also, litter the ground with those spikey balls they all drop. Keep to the air to dodge the summoner's fists, and watch your army of scuttling and swarming horrors devour the little fucks alive.

Now practice your evil laugh, you'll need to get good at it early so that later when the One True God (Space Dragon) solos the final boss for you, you can cackle like a proper villain who lets his minions do all the work.

Yeah, obviously hardmode. Havent fought any hardmode bosses yet. I've been exiting and restarting whenever one of the big three comes knocking.
I did queen bee before regular skeletron. The Bee's Knees has been sitting in a weapon mount in my basement ever since. I've also found the table that increases your maximum number of minions. Guess I'll finally be able to use them for something other than decoration.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GrunderGretch posted:

Thanks a bunch! Oh, I forgot to mention that I have: lights bane, the ivy whip and a stack of falling stars. That's good right?

Is that before or after you've gotten yourself a full mana bar? And is your Ivy Whip in your grappling hook slot?

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

I don't think you need a sky bridge to farm Strange Plants any more, I've found a bunch in various places above and below ground since the patch when I had only seen one before.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Mystery Prize posted:

Welp, time to try Hardcore Expert mode.

100% chance I die to a dynamite trap or boulder before I get to a boss

It's honestly not that bad. Just be prepared to fish a whole lot. I'm about 7 hours in and killed Eye/Brain/Slime King all without losing more than 50 health out of 300.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Do statue farms still work? Can I set up a Slime Farm to get a Slime Staff, or is that not possible anymore?

I did it. Also, I did the math, and for every stack of gel you get from a slime farm, you have about a 6.4% chance of getting a Slime Staff. So it's not as horrifically rare as you might fear.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A problem has become an opportunity.

To rebuild!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can I hallow my dyebridge to hope for a unicorn, is does it need to be bare dirt?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Can I hallow my dyebridge to hope for a unicorn, is does it need to be bare dirt?

It doesn't need to be dirt, but it helps. The reason it used to be bare dirt was so that marigolds and poo poo wouldn't grow on it and make large swaths useless. Can't you just fight unicorns in the naturally occurring biome though?

GrunderGretch
Aug 2, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Is that before or after you've gotten yourself a full mana bar? And is your Ivy Whip in your grappling hook slot?

No full mana, just 400 health. And yes for the whip. I know I must be doing things rear end backwards. I've got a stack of stars.. I have no idea what I'm doing haha.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I found a strange plant right at my base, sitting literally next to a marigold. I don't think they're restricted by dye plants. Unless the marigold grew there later and I really didn't notice the strange for that long? Sounds unlikely.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Any circumstances that martian probes like to spawn under? I've only seen 3, all during blood moons but the wiki doesn't mention anything other than that they apparently spawn more frequently in the space layer. When I first tried it the saucer dunked me p. hard because I was unprepared and didn't know what I was getting into but now that I'm good to stomp some martians they've decided to not show up. :argh:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Do actuators destroy grass when toggled? Wondering if I can use them to harvest a glowing mushroom farm.

EDIT: Wow actuators are kinda expensive.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yes. Also works for crystal shards.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Some friends and I were getting that issue again with expert bosses not dropping a bag for everyone :/. We got the Destroyer and Skeletron prime and only 1 person picked up the bag. Yesterday we managed to get the Twins and they dropped bags. Anyone else getting this or knows what causes it?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Tenebrais posted:

I found a strange plant right at my base, sitting literally next to a marigold. I don't think they're restricted by dye plants. Unless the marigold grew there later and I really didn't notice the strange for that long? Sounds unlikely.

They used to be up until the most recent hotfix patch. That's why people did the dirt skybridge stuff to get them before, now it's not really a problem!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Some friends and I were getting that issue again with expert bosses not dropping a bag for everyone :/. We got the Destroyer and Skeletron prime and only 1 person picked up the bag. Yesterday we managed to get the Twins and they dropped bags. Anyone else getting this or knows what causes it?

Was this since the most recent patch? There was a patchnote that said they fixed bosses despawning instead of being killed properly that mentioned bosses not dropping bags, but I don't know if that was a full fix for the issue.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

SirSamVimes posted:

A problem has become an opportunity.
To rebuild!

I had a world load error that cleared itself up after restarting terraria. :ohdear:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If I want to make a deathweed farm I have to surround it with some uncorruptable material to keep it from spreading right?

EDIT: Will it spread if it's in a planter box?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Nope. Plants in clay pots or planter boxes don't spread corruption or anything weird, go nuts.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

RatHat posted:

If I want to make a deathweed farm I have to surround it with some uncorruptable material to keep it from spreading right?

EDIT: Will it spread if it's in a planter box?

Much like a pot, deathweed will not spread corruption from a planter.

EFB

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Fantastic.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
If you want to make a giant plot of corrupt/crimson grass to farm deathweed / evil mushrooms / cool looking trees, however, you should probably think about how to contain it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GenericOverusedName posted:

If you want to make a giant plot of corrupt/crimson grass to farm deathweed / evil mushrooms / cool looking trees, however, you should probably think about how to contain it.

Sticking it in the sky 30 blocks with a wall of glass blocks around it then 30 blocks of nothing would work.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Thyrork posted:

I had a world load error that cleared itself up after restarting terraria. :ohdear:

I've already tried restarting Terraria and my computer.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Lone Badger posted:

Sticking it in the sky 30 blocks with a wall of glass blocks around it then 30 blocks of nothing would work.

Uh, I think it spreads to blocks a max of 3 blocks away, not 30.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Zereth posted:

I don't see a goblin invasion on the list of things you've beaten there. You need to do that before he'll spawn.

My bad, it was so easy i didnt remember to mention it. Yeah, I had a Goblin Army right before I builtthe Slime House. Ive also taken out King Slime

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GenericOverusedName posted:

Making a bunch of small mini-biomes like I've done here in the sky perfectly insulates them from the world with regards to limiting corruption/crimson/hallow spread:

Though I'm also pretty certain that just keeping it inside a one-block wide wood/brick chamber also insulates it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I just line my artificial biomes with Glass (enhances the artificial look too) and it seems to work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'm pretty sure that as long as it's not dirt/stone/mud/snow/ice/sand/sandstone it can't spread.