Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

How many other states would lead to more D seats if they're ungerrymandered?

Well, put it like this: Democrats won the majority of House votes, but have 40% or so of the seats. Even accounting for running up the score, that's a huge disparity. National, neutral maps would put them in striking range of taking the House, if not granting it to them outright.

But that won't happen since the usual go-to button for Federal interference (the commerce clause) really doesn't apply to state districting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The major, major problem with Trump is that he could very easily get the Archie Bunker vote but is going to alienate everybody else. He's exactly what the base wants. He's finally thrown aside the curtain, jumped into the spotlight, and screamed "I AM THE GOP!" And he's right. He's tragically, unashamedly right. The GOP base is angry white people that only give a poo poo about getting more for themselves at the expense of everybody else. He's the right wing that thinks that business is always right and non-white people suck. He thinks that the only thing that really matters is one's net worth. The number of digits in your bank account gives you increased right to declare your opinions correct on everything.

It's problematic because those opinions are becoming increasingly unpopular and the Republican party needs to find other demographics or it's going to die. There's no way around it. Angry white people is a shrinking pool of votes and people like Trump are going to galvanize that base but gently caress up any inroads the right has anywhere else.

Right now America is deciding how corporate it wants to be and Trump is a perfect indicator of how disgusting being very corporate actually would be.

Trump 2016: More Money = Better Than

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

OAquinas posted:

But that won't happen since the usual go-to button for Federal interference (the commerce clause) really doesn't apply to state districting.

U.S. Constitution Article 1, § 4 posted:

The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing [sic] Senators.

Vieth v. Jubilirer posted:

Article I, § 4, while leaving in state legislatures the initial power to draw districts for federal elections, permitted Congress to 'make or alter' those districts if it wished.

Congress actually has absolute authority to decide congressional maps for each of the states. It has simply never chosen to do so.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Chantilly Say posted:

This seems like you'd have to make it illegal to advertise in any way, lest someone just hire a skywriting plane to write "VOTE FOR ROBERTA" and let name recognition do its thing on Election Day.

Worst that happens is a low power congressperson gets in and everyone ignores them. But someone hiring a skywriting plane is honestly very unlikely to gather 50,000 votes. People can only vote once, and they can only vote for one person in the whole country - do you really think enough people would be voting on as skywriter to make that an actual issue?

Even if there was, that person would be a very weak congressperson that everyone could pretty much safely ignore.

Seriously, it would fix so many of the problems with our current system:
People not voting because their vote doesn't matter? In this system, everyone matters!
Gerrymandering? Completely Impossible (unlike in NKs inflate the legislator plan, where it's still quite possible).
Politicians with more support not having any more say than those representing a handful of people in some rural area? Well, now the more popular one has power in direct proportion to the number of people they represent.
No more politicians winning 50.1% of the vote and claiming it's a mandate from 100% of the people.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 10, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Gen. Ripper posted:

Counterpoint: Name one authoritarian single-party state where the legislature was worth anything.

Counter-counterpoint: you are proposing the exact method they selected to make the legislature irrelevant and thinking it won't have the same effect

JT Jag posted:

I think that fixing congress to one congressman to every 200,000 people would be alright. 1,500 representatives is a ton, but not outright ridiculous. Hell, I'd be ok with stretching it to 250.

In what reality do you think you will be able to get 751 people to agree to anything to pass basic bills? Much less contentious things like the civil rights act or a post financial crash stimulus or universal health care?

dpbjinc posted:

Congress should just go online only. Have 10,000 representatives debate on a forum. It would be named Something Lawful.

Yeah, and when a despot rises above you all through superior will, you can just impeach him. How is that working out for you?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just start a subreddit where anyone can post laws, and then enact the highest voted post every week. Pretty simple guys.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

1337JiveTurkey posted:

That's really risky for them. If Trump's not in the debates because he's legitimately not popular enough, they can hope his campaign will just sputter out.

If he's in the debates due to his popularity, that'll suck but they've at least got the hope that he's going to self-immolate without taking out too many viable candidates in the process.

If he's not in the debates in spite of his popularity, he will not shut up about it. Ever.

Everything from that point forward will be about him scaring the GOP establishment and them conspiring to keep him out of the race because they're afraid of him. Maybe not for the reasons he'd like to think but it's something he can use to stir resentment against them, blame any of his failures on someone else, and justify a third party run no matter how delusional.

He won't care if he's only 6% in national polls because it just proves him right about the establishment being out to get him. For the GOP, that's an unmitigated disaster because they can't win with a 6% deficit. He doesn't directly affect downticket races, but someone voting for him as a protest against the GOP is less likely to vote Republican for everything else. Not all of them but that's scant consolation for someone in a race hanging on a knife's edge.

I think you're overestimating how solid his support actually is. He polls well nationally because he has high name ID compared to the rest of the field. That's it. That's the end of it. His support crumbles the second somebody else manages to take the spotlight by saying something really stupid. That moment will happen at the first debate even if he's not there, and none of the primary voters are actually going to care beyond the small percentage of them who are actually die hard Trump fans for some reason. Go look at the polling graphs from the 2012 primaries. Trump is the first anyone-but-Romney of this cycle. Give it a few weeks and it'll be Ben Carson. A few weeks after that it'll be Cruz. They'll rotate through their options, and they're probably going to land on Bush or Rubio. Hell, we might even end up with a Bush/Rubio ticket.

This far out the national polling isn't really meaningful for much, and statistically it's all complete garbage. Though, that fact isn't going to stop the networks from excluding essentially random candidates that ring in at the rear end end of the poll lottery well within the margin of error.

Debates have a big impact on polling. Anybody who doesn't make it to that first debate is loving done. What happens at that debate is going to dominate the coverage, and someone's pet candidate being excluded isn't going to change that. When the primaries actually happen, I really don't trust that poll respondents are going to pull the level for the people they say they're going to pull the lever for in July of 2015. You may as well put stock in what a 5 year old says they want to be when they grow up. It probably has more weight.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 10, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Radbot posted:

Just start a subreddit where anyone can post laws, and then enact the highest voted post every week. Pretty simple guys.

Can I vote with marbles?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Radbot posted:

Mandatory fat people olympics and women not allowed to use the internet or play computer games bypassable only by the "t or gtfo" clause. How progressive.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Un-insured rate down to 11.4% in latest poll (11.9 in prior). For reference it was at 18% when the ACA kicked in in 2013.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
If you want a hopeful vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a Confederate face - forever.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
NBC and ABC are running it being taken down if you want a local channel. They've been on the ball for most of these big events.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fried Chicken posted:

Un-insured rate down to 11.4% in latest poll (11.9 in prior). For reference it was at 18% when the ACA kicked in in 2013.

But but but my mom's friend's sister's CPA saw their premium go up $100 a month!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Dehry posted:

NBC and ABC are running it being taken down if you want a local channel. They've been on the ball for most of these big events.

A black dude is commanding the stupid state trooper "honor guard" taking the flag down, lol forever.

I'm really glad people started chanting during the ceremony because it doesn't deserve even a shred of respect.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Bag of Milk posted:

The New Hampshire lower house has 400 members, which is about one rep for every 3,000 people. This helps neo-Nazis, libertarians, and other assorted crazies win a seat in the legislature. It doesn't seem to help with good governance compared to other states.

Sure is a good thing no one proposed a 100,000 member congress then! Or to make the entire country full of New Hampshire type people.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

whitey delenda est posted:

A black dude is commanding the stupid state trooper "honor guard" taking the flag down, lol forever.

That's pretty much better than anything I expected. I was expecting a bunch of scooter types with dozens of quavering chins as they watched their goddamn flag get pulled down. I'd rather have seen it blasted off the pole by a hurricane but having a cop crew with a black guy in charge pull the fucker down is pretty good.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Mister Macys posted:

He's never actually held public office for anything, right?

Could he conceivably have cachet with the Small Government™ crowd for having "never been bought by the lobbyists"?

Correct, he's never held public office.

However there is a significant and growing number of people who, as you said, see public office experience as a possible negative, depending on how you spent that experience.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
CNN got the author of World War Z to fact check Jeb!'s claim that we're in a "zombie economy".

quote:

"From a figurative point of view, George W. Bush, not Obama, had a 'zombie economy,'" Brooks stated emphatically. And for anyone thinking a "zombie economy" is one that is sluggish or dying? Well, those people are clueless about zombies, as Brooks remarked.

Brooks explained that zombies, "mindlessly and ferociously devour everything in their path with no regard for the consequences nor concern for the future." And that, Brooks noted, is "exactly what we saw in the 2000s during the Bush administration with Wall Street and predatory mortgage lenders."

"It wasn't until they ran out of food, or capital in the bankers' case, that they stopped their rampage," he added.

In contrast, the Obama economy would more accurately be described as a "post-zombie apocalyptic economy," Brooks noted ahead of his appearance at Comic Con in San Diego this weekend

"After a massive zombie outbreak, the first priority is to survive," Brooks commented. Adding, "that is exactly what we saw during the Great Recession with Obama's economic policies trying to save us from economic extinction after Bush's economic 'zombie apocalypse.'"

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
All it needed was a huge gospel choir singing the national anthem as that treasonous rag was being lowered.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ErIog posted:

I think you're overestimating how solid his support actually is. He polls well nationally because he has high name ID compared to the rest of the field. That's it. That's the end of it. His support crumbles the second somebody else manages to take the spotlight by saying something really stupid. That moment will happen at the first debate even if he's not there, and none of the primary voters are actually going to care beyond the small percentage of them who are actually die hard Trump fans for some reason. Go look at the polling graphs from the 2012 primaries. Trump is the first anyone-but-Romney of this cycle. Give it a few weeks and it'll be Ben Carson. A few weeks after that it'll be Cruz. They'll rotate through their options, and they're probably going to land on Bush or Rubio. Hell, we might even end up with a Bush/Rubio ticket.

This far out the national polling isn't really meaningful for much, and statistically it's all complete garbage. Though, that fact isn't going to stop the networks from excluding essentially random candidates that ring in at the rear end end of the poll lottery well within the margin of error.

Debates have a big impact on polling. Anybody who doesn't make it to that first debate is loving done. What happens at that debate is going to dominate the coverage, and someone's pet candidate being excluded isn't going to change that. When the primaries actually happen, I really don't trust that poll respondents are going to pull the level for the people they say they're going to pull the lever for in July of 2015. You may as well put stock in what a 5 year old says they want to be when they grow up. It probably has more weight.

This.

Between now and the primaries it will be whoever spends the most that month on PR or had the snappiest extremist sound bite will be the top leader.
Then when the debates actually start to happen, one by one they will fall to the 'gotcha' questions.
"I am a Mexican, born here in the US, work as a doctor, but my mother is not legal. What happens to her?" And Trump falls.
"I am a marine vet, have 3 cancers, and Obamacare has saved my life. What changes do you want to do?" And Cruz falls.
"I am a refuge from Syria, what will you do about ISIS?" And Rand Paul falls.

Of course the hilarity will be most will fall due to self inflicted wounds trying to out Reagan each other.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

skaboomizzy posted:

All it needed was a huge gospel choir singing the national anthem Battle Hymn of the Republic as that treasonous rag was being lowered.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Maybe the crowd will get a chance to boo another gay Marine serving overseas.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Honestly, I'd be surprised if the Republicans win. The party is such an utter embarrassment and society has changed enough, even the most milquetoast guy with an actual chance to win the primary is liable to flame out from being an out of touch bigot.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Just landed in the States for a vacation, and the first TV I see is CNN coverage of the confederate flag coming down. Pretty cool "welcome home", courtesy of SC! :unsmith:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Good news! Global income inequality is down and it's all thanks to free trade and immigration laws.

quote:

Income inequality has surged as a political and economic issue, but the numbers don’t show that inequality is rising from a global perspective. Yes, the problem has become more acute within most individual nations, yet income inequality for the world as a whole has been falling for most of the last 20 years. It’s a fact that hasn’t been noted often enough.

The finding comes from a recent investigation by Christoph Lakner, a consultant at the World Bank, and Branko Milanovic, senior scholar at the Luxembourg Income Study Center. And while such a framing may sound startling at first, it should be intuitive upon reflection. The economic surges of China, India and some other nations have been among the most egalitarian developments in history.

Of course, no one should use this observation as an excuse to stop helping the less fortunate. But it can help us see that higher income inequality is not always the most relevant problem, even for strict egalitarians. Policies on immigration and free trade, for example, sometimes increase inequality within a nation, yet can make the world a better place and often decrease inequality on the planet as a whole.

[...]

Many egalitarians push for policies to redistribute some income within nations, including the United States. That’s worth considering, but with a cautionary note. Such initiatives will prove more beneficial on the global level if there is more wealth to redistribute. In the United States, greater wealth would maintain the nation’s ability to invest abroad, buy foreign products, absorb immigrants and generate innovation, with significant benefit for global income and equality.

In other words, the true egalitarian should follow the economist’s inclination to seek wealth-maximizing policies, and that means worrying less about inequality within the nation.

Yes, we might consider some useful revisions to current debates on inequality. But globally minded egalitarians should be more optimistic about recent history, realizing that capitalism and economic growth are continuing their historical roles as the greatest and most effective equalizers the world has ever known.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Zoran posted:

Congress actually has absolute authority to decide congressional maps for each of the states. It has simply never chosen to do so.

Well, I'll be damned. Learn something every day; I thought that elections were mandated but otherwise the details were left up to the states.

Not that it effectively changes what Congress will do, but nice to know the option's there in case they go totally batshit.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Luigi Thirty posted:

Good news! Global income inequality is down and it's all thanks to free trade and immigration laws.

1) Calling the recent Chinese economic development to be "among the most egalitarian in history" is a real stretch.

2) One of the biggest arguments I've heard in favor of the TPP is exactly this argument: it's better for the world population as a whole and will help developing Pacific/SE Asian economies and people's standards of living in that area.

Which is bullshit if you consider it's still a handout of power to international corporations who, while they may be too scared to sue and bully the US (because they've already bought the Congress here, why bother?) but are probably not scared at all of, say, suing Vietnam and throwing it under the guise of attacking Vietnam for their human rights abuses.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

happyhippy posted:

This.

Between now and the primaries it will be whoever spends the most that month on PR or had the snappiest extremist sound bite will be the top leader.
Then when the debates actually start to happen, one by one they will fall to the 'gotcha' questions.
"I am a Mexican, born here in the US, work as a doctor, but my mother is not legal. What happens to her?" And Trump falls.
"I am a marine vet, have 3 cancers, and Obamacare has saved my life. What changes do you want to do?" And Cruz falls.

Of course the hilarity will be most will fall due to self inflicted wounds trying to out Reagan each other.

Trump: "She goes home. You're a doctor, you can support her there or you can stay here since you're a citizen. But we're in a nation of laws. Rules are rules, you don't get a special exception for being a nice guy." Raucous applause

Cruz: "Firstly, thank you for your service, and I am happy for your recovery. Obamacare didn't save your life however. That was your doctors and our good lord in heaven. If there's a payment issue is better for people to rely on their community and neighbors than the government. " raucous applause

Paul: "Your people got you into this mess and they'll have to get themselves out. Are you really saying you'd rather have American troops in your backyard? We're Warriors, not babysitters." Mixed applause

I mean those are super easy to satisfy your conservatives in a Republican debate. Paul's is the hardest but the libertarian wing will buy it, and the conservative base will probably accept "yeah gently caress those guys, not my problem" because that seems to be their prevalent attitude domestically, is easily extended to foreigners. They fear liberals more than terrorists.

Also I doubt any of those would make it into a Fox debate except the last one.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

greatn posted:

Cruz: "Firstly, thank you for your service, and I am happy for your recovery. Obamacare didn't save your life however. That was your doctors and our good lord in heaven. If there's a payment issue is better for people to rely on their community and neighbors than the government. " raucous applause

Then rephrase the question to "Obamacare made it possible for me to afford health insurance--without it, I wouldn't have been able to afford life-saving surgery. Why do you want to repeal this law that made it possible for me to have affordable health insurance?" Cruz can waffle all he wants about "community" and "bootstraps" but no one who hasn't already bought it will buy it.

Trump can poo poo down Hispanics' throats until he's blue in the face for all I care. All it does is damage the GOP's brand with them and increase the Hispanic vote take for Democrats in the general. Will his response cause a scandal? No, but the DNC can slap it in a mailer and it's good for a few million--and the rest of the GOP dais will be asked "Do you agree or disagree with Donald Trump when he says that all Mexicans are rapists and disease carriers?"

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 10, 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

happyhippy posted:

This.

this isn't how debates work, ever

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Alter Ego posted:

Then rephrase the question to "Obamacare made it possible for me to afford health insurance--without it, I wouldn't have been able to afford life-saving surgery. Why do you want to repeal this law that made it possible for me to have affordable health insurance?" Cruz can waffle all he wants about "community" and "bootstraps" but no one who hasn't already bought it will buy it.
Do you think changing the question will actually change the answer or the applause? I'd rate that as... unlikely.,

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Repealing the PPACA and leaving it up to free market solutions such as allowing the selling of insurance across state lines would have made your health insurance MORE affordable, but without the stain of government interference.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alter Ego posted:

Trump can poo poo down Hispanics' throats until he's blue in the face for all I care. All it does is damage the GOP's brand with them and increase the Hispanic vote take for Democrats in the general. Will his response cause a scandal? No, but the DNC can slap it in a mailer and it's good for a few million--and the rest of the GOP dais will be asked "Do you agree or disagree with Donald Trump when he says that all Mexicans are rapists and disease carriers?"

The answer to every single "gotcha" question anyone has ever thought would be a silver bullet is the same: "meaningless platitude, pivot to the question you actually want to answer, well-rehearsed answer to the question you want to answer"

The only time that any candidate has ever been torpedoed by a gotcha question in one of these debates was when Rick Perry got nailed with Rick Perry's question about what three government departments Rick Perry planned to eliminate.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Do you think changing the question will actually change the answer or the applause? I'd rate that as... unlikely.,

No, but it might change the coverage afterwards.

I'm not arguing that it will sink Cruz's campaign, because these are the people that cheered dead and dying soldiers in 2008/2012. They have no shame and are barely human.

But it will illustrate that in starker contrast in the debate postmortem if the question is phrased the way I phrased it. Cruz can't say "Obamacare didn't save your life" to somebody for whom it literally did so without looking like an unfeeling cretin to the non-insane world.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
To be fair, no one except Rick Perry could have possibly seen that one coming.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

quote:

Kentucky GOP Sen. Rand Paul on Thursday announced he'll introduce legislation to prevent "sanctuary cities" from harboring violent and dangerous criminal aliens.

"Our nation now has whole cities and states who stand up and willingly defy federal immigration laws in order to protect illegal immigrants who have broken our nation's laws," Paul said in a statement. "This must end and it must end now. My bill makes it clear, the American people will not stand for cities harboring violent criminals"

What? I've never heard of this poo poo before. Something about this sounds exactly like the Muslim No-Go Zone bullshit.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

without looking like an unfeeling cretin to the non-insane world.

This doesn't matter to them, and it is why they will be stopped.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Doctor Butts posted:

What? I've never heard of this poo poo before. Something about this sounds exactly like the Muslim No-Go Zone bullshit.

No that exists, there are a number of cities where the police are expressly instructed not to report undocumented immigrants to the federal government.

That said, Paul's law is obviously unconstitutional under the decision striking down part of the Brady Bill - the Federal Government can't coerce local law enforcement into enforcing federal law for it. Cities and states don't need to care one bit about reporting undocumented immigrants.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Personally, I am now hoping Trump is the GOP's Goldwater. Put him up there as the GOP's unfiltered id. See if their ideas are REALLY palatable to a majority of the country.

And when he gets destroyed by Hillary (or Bernie, because honestly, if Trump is the nominee I'd feel perfectly comfortable voting for him), maybe, just maybe, the light bulb will click on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Doctor Butts posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_city
http://articles.latimes.com/1996-12-11/news/mn-8071_1_safety-zone

• Locked thread