Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Bholder posted:

So the way it worked in the Classic Fallouts?

I wouldn't known! I only played Fallout 2 once and only until New Reno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JackBadass posted:

Old World Blues is still plagued by the bug where you can't leave the DLC in hardcore mode unless all your needs are at a solid 0.

I have beaten Old World Blues at least 5 times on Hardcore mode and never once encountered this bug, or any bug in New Vegas for that matter :shrug:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Rutibex posted:

I have beaten Old World Blues at least 5 times on Hardcore mode and never once encountered this bug, or any bug in New Vegas for that matter :shrug:

Not even the head spinning feature? You poor, broken soul.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Duckbag posted:

This is the games forum on Something Awful Dot Com. Every single goddamn thread has at least a few tedious motherfuckers come out of the woodwork to remind us that every game we like is trash and we should probably just kill ourselves. Usually they use the same tired "breaking up the circle jerk" excuse too.

Dozens of shitposters have trashed Obsidian in this very thread (and the rest of us have done some griping as well), so I really don't see the point of rehashing this crap.

Lol holy poo poo

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Davoren posted:

Goddamnit, America really needs to get over the war of independance already because this looks dumb as heck.

angry british person

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

JackBadass posted:

That's probably why New Vegas still has constant memory leaks all around and why Old World Blues is still plagued by the bug where you can't leave the DLC in hardcore mode unless all your needs are at a solid 0.

Both 3 and NV are riddled with bugs, as is Skyrim and every Bethesda game. You can't just trash on one and act like the other is perfect.
Are you playing the 360/PS3 version? The PC version has no such problems if patched through Steam as of 2012. You'll run into RAM problems on consoles with New Vegas and get odd bugs like that due to the vastly increased amount of event flags that take more resources than they have any right to due to Bethesda's engine. Obsidian just sucks at console programming I guess

Ironically, Fallout 3 has less bugs on 360 and PS3 because it actually had an updated engine, but they didn't bother to move the engine beyond Oblivion's for the PC.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 10, 2015

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Are you playing the 360/PS3 version? The PC version has no such problems if patched through Steam as of 2012.

Ironically, Fallout 3 has less bugs on 360 and PS3 because it actually had an updated engine, but they didn't bother to move the engine beyond Oblivion's for the PC.

I didn't have any problems with my release copy for the 360, save the weird arm jump rope.

I've never had any serious or unfunny problems with any bethesda sandbox game, ever. Meanwhile, my friend can't play any of them without encountering issues that no one has ever documented before, almost constantly.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 10, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Rutibex posted:

The PC version is shockingly stable, the only issues I've had have been 100% caused by installing a hundred mods. Compare to the 360 version where I have to save when I fast travel to the Sink because this might be the moment when the game keels over and dies.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Magmarashi posted:

I've never had any serious or unfunny problems with any bethesda sandbox game, ever. Meanwhile, my friend can't play any of them without encountering issues that no one has ever documented before, almost constantly.
:stare:

Bethesda engines are mysterious and strange things. There's always one guy who can't run Morrowind or whatever because their particular specific setup of CPU/GPU/RAM/hard drive collides with the lovely engine logic in an awful way in which nothing works and nobody can ever figure out what the problem is.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Bethesda engines are mysterious and strange things. There's always one guy who can't run Morrowind or whatever because their particular specific setup of CPU/GPU/RAM/hard drive collides with the lovely engine logic in an awful way in which nothing works and nobody can ever figure out what the problem is.

You ever seen the entire Ant population of greyditch walk off into the sky slowly, or Caesar float in a sitting position into the skybox, only to rise from the floor and repeat the cycle with a 4 second delay of sitting in the seat?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Magmarashi posted:

You ever seen the entire Ant population of greyditch walk off into the sky slowly, or Caesar float in a sitting position into the skybox, only to rise from the floor and repeat the cycle with a 4 second delay of sitting in the seat?
I keep hearing of people with long lists of eldritch bugs like that. I'd really like to see the codebase to Bethesda's game engine one of these days.

Somewhat related, upon New Vegas' release I've had NCR soldiers fall from the sky and fall to their death ala that one guy in Morrowind and thought it was completely intentional. Nobody else had this, though. I'm pretty sure some engine features are determined entirely by RNG.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The bugs for Fallout 4 promise to be amazeballs.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Lotish posted:

The bugs for Fallout 4 promise to be amazeballs.
I'm looking forward to everyone's neon dick sculptures slowly losing position and vibrating apart until they fly through the ground and vanish.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

My lovely $100 netbook can run Morrowind. I should actually play that game more than the intro bit. The people walking like gorillas with sticks up their butts was hilarious.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I keep hearing of people with long lists of eldritch bugs like that. I'd really like to see the codebase to Bethesda's game engine one of these days.

Somewhat related, upon New Vegas' release I've had NCR soldiers fall from the sky and fall to their death ala that one guy in Morrowind and thought it was completely intentional. Nobody else had this, though. I'm pretty sure some engine features are determined entirely by RNG.

I'm convinced the software profiles your games and activity to custom tailor the bug experience to how much it thinks you deserve it

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I still have fond memories of walking out of HELIOS One and having Old Lady Gibson, her dogs, and god knows what else spawn on top of me like a post-apocalyptic three-stooges sketch.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mendrian posted:

How exactly would you design a game around quicksaves/save states anyway? I mean you can design mechanics around limited save systems (since you have something to hang them on) but a free/open save system is literally the opposite of a mechanic. It's a lack of structure.

I concede that random speech checks and other skill %'s aren't really compatible with free saves but I still feel like the smartest thing to do is segregate anything more hardcore than the default into a separate game mode. Maybe some kind of thing where the game gives you a single game file that auto-updates any time you make a skill roll?
Dragon's Dogma sort of does this, there aren't really skill checks but there's one save file and it autosaves whenever you progress a quest. It works well except some of the boss fights and scenes are so epic it's sad you can't just reload a save and watch them again.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I like Dragon's Dogma's system of fast travel, as well. You start out with no access to it, and traversing the map is basically planning an expedition, learning what's out there and preparing weapons and equipment to not die as you explore, and then you get access to items that let you set your own fast travel points to wherever you like and then you use magic stones teleport to those places, as well as a static fast travel point in the main hub so you can get home in a hurry. I would have preferred both of those items to be available sooner, simply because some parts of the map can be quite a trudge as you get further along, but all in all I thought it worked magnificently for a game about exploring a dangerous world full of fantastical monsters.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

That doesn't make any sense

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't wait to play this game.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I still find it loving hilarious how the endgame recap for NV is literally just your character sitting in a room looking at a wall that has images "projected" on to it while an actual NPC talks beside you. When I first completed the story it was like the chair I was on had shorter legs on one side so I was awkwardly staring at the ceiling with only a fraction of the actual intended "cutscene" being visible. It was on the 360, so there wasn't even any mod fuckery going on.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Odobenidae posted:

I still find it loving hilarious how the endgame recap for NV is literally just your character sitting in a room looking at a wall that has images "projected" on to it while an actual NPC talks beside you. When I first completed the story it was like the chair I was on had shorter legs on one side so I was awkwardly staring at the ceiling with only a fraction of the actual intended "cutscene" being visible. It was on the 360, so there wasn't even any mod fuckery going on.

....I knew there was something strange going on when I took a sip from my Vault 13 canteen during the ending :argh:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

There's an NPC called Cannibal Johnson, one of the Enclave Remnants. If he survives the battle there's a decent chance he'll spend the entire ending slideshow walking around you in a circle and getting in the way of the camera. Nowadays I just pop a bunch of Turbo and let the Legate cut him down before getting into the fight.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

2house2fly posted:

There's an NPC called Cannibal Johnson, one of the Enclave Remnants. If he survives the battle there's a decent chance he'll spend the entire ending slideshow walking around you in a circle and getting in the way of the camera.

Yep. This happened when I beat it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

JackBadass posted:

Both 3 and NV are riddled with bugs, as is Skyrim and every Bethesda game. You can't just trash on one and act like the other is perfect.

Nobody's doing this. They're just saying that one game is Quite Good(NV) and the other is Kind Of Okay I Guess(FO3).

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Syrant posted:

Okay so... being perfectly honest I would buy the gently caress out of Harvest Moon: Fallout Edition.

I just hope I can marry the sweet super mutant that sells me the seeds for my field of Nuka-Cola crops.

Well they already have like all the basic tools to make Harvest Moon: Fallout Edition, so I'm sure that some modder will quickly add in whatever they don't. Or they'll do it themselves in an expansion, they *did* make Hearthfire after all. If they'd make the chillest and most relaxed expansion for one game, I imagine they are willing to do the same for another if they see money in it.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Boogaleeboo posted:

Well they already have like all the basic tools to make Harvest Moon: Fallout Edition, so I'm sure that some modder will quickly add in whatever they don't. Or they'll do it themselves in an expansion, they *did* make Hearthfire after all. If they'd make the chillest and most relaxed expansion for one game, I imagine they are willing to do the same for another if they see money in it.

Hearthfire was crap. It was features that should have been in the base game, namely houses in the three regions that were missing houses. Yes, the building of the house was an interesting idea, but all the designs looked drat near the same. Even at $2, it felt like a bit of a ripoff.

That said, it looks like they learned a lot from that with the building tools we've seen thus far in Fallout 4. My only fear in that department is microtransactions.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr8SAAKhGVw

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

JackBadass posted:

Hearthfire was crap. It was features that should have been in the base game, namely houses in the three regions that were missing houses. Yes, the building of the house was an interesting idea, but all the designs looked drat near the same. Even at $2, it felt like a bit of a ripoff.

That said, it looks like they learned a lot from that with the building tools we've seen thus far in Fallout 4. My only fear in that department is microtransactions.

Oh it was totally lacking in depth, but the point is that it was an expansion to Magic Vikings on Crack that added.....house dress up and adopting little kids. Like, did not see that coming. What we've seen as is of the building in Fallout 4 is already a million times more detailed than Hearthfire, but if they were willing to add an anemic home experience for Skyrim, what would they had for a game that already has a solid basis to build around?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Fallout 4 will have a vault that is actually two vaults. The two vaults will be completely disconnected, but interwoven like tangled Christmas lights. In one vault, vault A, will be average humans, just trying to wait out the radiation underground. The other vault, vault B, will be packed full of horses. The people of vault A will be completely unaware of vault B, but they'll be able to hear horse noises all the time.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Horses are extinct in Fallout. If Bethesda brought them back even in say, a semi-canon comic that hardly anyone read, it would ruin Fallout FOREVER!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I hope this game has more than 4 songs.
Even if music styles stayed the same from the 1950s or whatever until the 2070s, and then the 2270s, surely somebody would've written some new stuff?
Is this a universe in which classic rock and dubstep never existed?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

sout posted:

Even if music styles stayed the same from the 1950s or whatever until the 2070s, and then the 2270s, surely somebody would've written some new stuff?

Its going to be the offbeat weird DLC. John Fallout unintentionally invents dub-step in trying to communicate with space aliens because by now, no one remembers Close encounters of the Third Kind.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

sout posted:

Yes

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

sout posted:

There is a game like that, it's called Borderlands

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

sout posted:

They existed and then fell out of fashion, everyone in 2077 is into retro stuff.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sout posted:

Is this a universe in dubstep never existed?

If so, then the nuclear war was a small price to pay for the privilege

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I can't wait to see if removing one item from a table makes all of them start to float around, or if walking over a ribcage makes it spaz out so much it eventually flings itself into orbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I only played New Vegas and the expansions and really enjoyed them! I like the quirky characters and storylines. Mr House, those brains at war with eachother and so on. From what I understand, its the other company doing Fallout 4, but based on New Vegas i'm all in!

• Locked thread