Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

New Leaf posted:

I can't wait to see if removing one item from a table makes all of them start to float around, or if walking over a ribcage makes it spaz out so much it eventually flings itself into orbit.

and potentially renders the ribcage into a lethal projectile that will instagib you if it rockets up through your player model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

homeless poster posted:

and potentially renders the ribcage into a lethal projectile that will instagib you if it rockets up through your player model

Oh god, my favorite is the pre-sprung swinging I-beam trap in one of the vaults of New Vegas (think it's the one where they were all killing each other and set up sandbag fortifications all over the place), then having your companion run through ahead of you chasing down giant insects as it swings back and takes your head off.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My new favorite Monster Brew glitch is probably with this character from Skyrim:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Njada_Stonearm

Besides having the usual problem with all trainer-followers, where you can recruit her as a follower after training, ask her to hold some things for you, and take back all of the money you spent on training, there's also this:

quote:

She may become permanently hostile towards you at random, and cannot be killed.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

New Leaf posted:

Oh god, my favorite is the pre-sprung swinging I-beam trap in one of the vaults of New Vegas (think it's the one where they were all killing each other and set up sandbag fortifications all over the place), then having your companion run through ahead of you chasing down giant insects as it swings back and takes your head off.

i had a similar experience in FO3 where the first supermarket you raid has empty carts lying everywhere. one raider saw me and started to charge towards me but ran into a cart that was between us, which caused the cart to rocket at me at subsonic speed, slaying me upon impact. i was confused as gently caress because it was like an hour into the game and i wasn't sure if the cart had killed me or what had happened.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Bicyclops posted:

My new favorite Monster Brew glitch is probably with this character from Skyrim:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Njada_Stonearm

Besides having the usual problem with all trainer-followers, where you can recruit her as a follower after training, ask her to hold some things for you, and take back all of the money you spent on training, there's also this:

That can happen with literally any follower though, which I've found through using area-of-effect spell mods. I've had The Immortan Lydia hound me through an entire dungeon trying to kill me, all because I used a spell that hurt her a little bit or frenzied or... something. Putting my weapons away did nothing, nothing could end her fury.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It almost feels like that should play as a horror game. An unkillable enemy who doggedly, tirelessly follows you across the province. Appearing where you least expect her and stabbing you in the back. Suddenly waking you up when you try to sleep. You turn and see her in the far distance, ceaselessly jogging across hundreds of yards of open field to catch up.

You can't kill her or trap her. Only stun her and run, delaying the inevitable.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

That can happen with literally any follower though, which I've found through using area-of-effect spell mods. I've had The Immortan Lydia hound me through an entire dungeon trying to kill me, all because I used a spell that hurt her a little bit or frenzied or... something. Putting my weapons away did nothing, nothing could end her fury.

That's really weird. Lydia isn't immortal. She's not easy to kill accidentally unless you're a wizard and in a huge melee, but she is very easy to kill intentionally. She only has the sort-of "essential" marker that followers get, where hostile things force them into the invincible "submit" state, but you can kill them by murdering them again when they're in that state. Njada is legit essential, though, because Companions quests involve her.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

homeless poster posted:

i had a similar experience in FO3 where the first supermarket you raid has empty carts lying everywhere. one raider saw me and started to charge towards me but ran into a cart that was between us, which caused the cart to rocket at me at subsonic speed, slaying me upon impact. i was confused as gently caress because it was like an hour into the game and i wasn't sure if the cart had killed me or what had happened.

That same supermarket on my very first run-through on my very first Fallout game, had a Deathclaw waiting for me in the parking lot.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'm getting bored with my current New Vegas playthrough- over level 20, 50k caps, no discernible threats left on the planet- so I'm going to restart as melee, which I've never done before in a Fallout game. This should be interesting!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

homeless poster posted:

The best bug in Fallout 3 is when a Super Mutant corpse clips through a door or something, and you can stretch the corpse out like salt water taffy when you open/close the door. This is often accompanied by the "eternal seizure" where a corpse flails around at hypersonic speed, in defiance of the laws of conservation of energy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rutibex posted:

The best bug in Fallout 3 is when a Super Mutant corpse clips through a door or something, and you can stretch the corpse out like salt water taffy when you open/close the door. This is often accompanied by the "eternal seizure" where a corpse flails around at hypersonic speed, in defiance of the laws of conservation of energy.

Not a Bethesda game, but the original Mass Effect tended to do this to me in the Benezia boss fight because of all the biotics hitting Shepard simultaneously.

Games are great.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Bicyclops posted:

That's really weird. Lydia isn't immortal. She's not easy to kill accidentally unless you're a wizard and in a huge melee, but she is very easy to kill intentionally. She only has the sort-of "essential" marker that followers get, where hostile things force them into the invincible "submit" state, but you can kill them by murdering them again when they're in that state. Njada is legit essential, though, because Companions quests involve her.

Maybe I'm misremembering, maybe I just avoided killing her because she was sworn to carry my burdens. Can't carry my burdens if she's dead! :shrug:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bholder posted:

That doesn't make any sense
Neither does having to blow half your limbs off to stop a specific crash bug in the PC version of Fallout 3 or running into the 16 million refid limit and permacrashing because there's no refid recycling but lol

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Real talk- I can't play New Vegas without a stutter every few seconds (I AM WELL AWARE OF THE MOD TO FIX IT, it doesn't do anything for me for some reason)- will FO3 be any better? I don't know why Steam isn't showing my copy anymore. Kinda frustrating. Maybe I had disks before Steam was big? I don't remember, it's been a while..

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Bicyclops posted:

The wizard NPC in Dawnguard who's required to do the main quest got in the way of my sword at some point while I was rescuing him, and he hated me forever afterward. So he furiously tried to attack me every time he saw me until my team beat him into submission, at which point he was good for a single dialogue tree to advance the plot before trying to take another swing at me.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Lotish posted:

Not a Bethesda game, but the original Mass Effect tended to do this to me in the Benezia boss fight because of all the biotics hitting Shepard simultaneously.

Games are great.

The worst part of that arena was the tiny space between the wall and the railing around the perimeter. Either you would get slammed so hard by a Biotic attack it would force you into it and you'd have to reload to get out. Or some enemy would find a way to fall into it and be unkillable because of the invisible wall or the floor protecting them. Forcing you to reload and do the fight all over again.

At least in Fallout you can use the console commands to free yourself and force kill other characters when the need arises.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Exclusive footage at QuakeCon

Shame I have no way of going, just have to wait for leaked footage or it goes public after the convention.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Interview with my hero Todd Howard that was linked to on Eurogamer's fallout Friday thing- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/11723096/Fallout-4-interview-Bethesdas-Todd-Howard-on-building-the-apocalypse.html

Things we didn't know- that the pre war intro is mainly in 2075, and we will be spending a good amount of time there. There are story reasons for the settlement building. Your gender will be important at times.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Can't wait to have more to argue about.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

marktheando posted:

Interview with my hero Todd Howard that was linked to on Eurogamer's fallout Friday thing- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/11723096/Fallout-4-interview-Bethesdas-Todd-Howard-on-building-the-apocalypse.html

Things we didn't know- that the pre war intro is mainly in 2075, and we will be spending a good amount of time there. There are story reasons for the settlement building. Your gender will be important at times.
Fallout 4 set after Fallout 3 confirmed at least

Who wants to find Butch Deloria's biker gang?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Working vehicles would be fun. Not just the vertibirds, there's a zillion cars and motorcycles laying around. I'm sure you could cobble something together.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

marktheando posted:

Will gender be important?
“We were lucky to find two great voice actors,” says Howard. “And it’s interesting because she may read things or act things differently than he does. So scenes play out differently depending on whether you are playing the game as male or female.”

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
In Fallout 3 there's a male character named Sister. These games is progressive enough IMO

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Something Else posted:

In Fallout 3 there's a male character named Sister. These games is progressive enough IMO

Sister the slaver who can get violently angry if you make fun of his name. About as progressive as a boy named Sue.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

marktheando posted:

Things we didn't know- that the pre war intro is mainly in 2075, and we will be spending a good amount of time there.
"One of the things that people always complained about with Fallout 3 was how long the tutorial section inside Vault 101 took. After a lot of brainstorming over games of Minecraft, we realized the problem: people weren't spending enough time in the tutorial to realize how great it really was. We're not making that mistake twice!"

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Father Wendigo posted:

"One of the things that people always complained about with Fallout 3 was how long the tutorial section inside Vault 101 took. After a lot of brainstorming over games of Minecraft, we realized the problem: people weren't spending enough time in the tutorial to realize how great it really was. We're not making that mistake twice!"

Bethesda games always seem to have long unskippable tutorial sections and people always make mods to skip them, but Bethesda never learns and do it anyway.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I have it on good authority that this will be the first tutorial section that will potentially last an entire real year if you want to make Todd Howard happy.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
So is the save file every game drops at the end of the tutorial section, where you are also given the chance to change any aspect of your character, not enough for some people?

You can just load that any time you want to start a new game.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

So is the save file every game drops at the end of the tutorial section, where you are also given the chance to change any aspect of your character, not enough for some people?

shh don't let that get in the way of laying a ~sick burn~ on Bethesda

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
After making your character and exiting your house, you get on a bus and go for a 7 minute ride through 2077 suburbia to get to the vault. No saving, no skipping, just listening to your spouse complaining about not having enough time to pack and intermittent QTE to stop your baby from crying. If you fail too many the driver stops the bus to complain and you don't arrive at the vault in time and have to start over from the character creation screen.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Nevets posted:

After making your character and exiting your house, you get on a bus and go for a 7 minute ride through 2077 suburbia to get to the vault. No saving, no skipping, just listening to your spouse complaining about not having enough time to pack and intermittent QTE to stop your baby from crying. If you fail too many the driver stops the bus to complain and you don't arrive at the vault in time and have to start over from the character creation screen.
They already announced that loading up mods would create a separate save file to protect your game, but Bethesda actually takes that safety very seriously. If unofficial game alterations are detected, your character is teleported to your vault's customs office, where you spend 45 minutes waiting in line to declare your .ESPs. If inappropriate character model changes are detected, they are confiscated by the Vault security chief, and you have to go to the back of the line to start over. If you fail a speech check, the game redirects you to Bethesda.Net to purchase a validation code. Saving is not allowed until you are safely wandering the streets of Old Boston.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

marktheando posted:

The bombs dropped in '77 right? Maybe instead of a robot, you're stuck in a simulation, and the war happening is someone disrupting it to get you out? If this piece of wild speculation is true, maybe that means you'll be a bit more of a blank slate than previously thought, albeit one with false memories.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

marktheando posted:

quote:

T. Howard's been known to quote Socrates.

"Wisdom begins in wonder."

The Bethesda brainchild balks at the cyclical interaction between his company and the community: "Oblivion bolted out of the gate the minute you made your character. For half an hour, you're protecting Patrick Stewart's brilliant Uriel Septim from mysterious assassins. But, perhaps more importantly--and what a lot of people fail to realize--is that the whole scene is actually a tutorial. So you're learning how to play the game, but you're also on the edge of your seat the entire time. Even on repeat playthroughs, I think [Stewart's] commanding performance keeps the scene fresh and educational. And you'll realize that there's a different way to do something on the second, third, or even fourth attempts. Like, 'do I use weapons to fight off these assassins? Or spells? Do I hide in the shadows and let the guards do all the work? Or do I charge to the front and lead the defense?'

"It's the same thing with Fallout 3 and Skyrim: From the very beginning, we're teaching you how to play the game...but it's all presented in an exciting and dynamic way that players appreciate. So maybe you answer your GOAT questions differently the second time around? Or you side with the Imperials rather than the Stormcloaks for your fifth character? There are so many ways to experience these 'action tutorial' sections that it makes previous games look really rough. Take Morrowind's opening segment: I'll be the first to admit it, it's boring, barely shows you how to enjoy the game, and automatically assumes that you already know everything you need to know, but there's so much stuff to do in these games that it's frankly impossible."

Does T. Howard see a future where tutorials are greatly expanded?

"Possibly. I was, I think, grocery shopping one day when it just dawned on me. I was like, 'wow...I never stop learning'. And honestly, that's what life is: A constant learning experience. So as games start to more closely emulate life, I think it's pretty reasonable to see a day where the tutorial is the game...where you've even got a prompt popping up before the final boss, the final showdown, the final test, telling you how to do something. 'Some bosses have weakspots that guarantee a critical hit'. I don't know, I mean, that's just a hypothetical example.

"But yeah, to answer your question, our tutorial sections are going to be more subtle and diffuse as time goes on, and that's something you're going to start to see with Fallout 4."

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
EDIT:

Had the boys in the lab working on this

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 11, 2015

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Davoren posted:

The bombs dropped in '77 right? Maybe instead of a robot, you're stuck in a simulation, and the war happening is someone disrupting it to get you out? If this piece of wild speculation is true, maybe that means you'll be a bit more of a blank slate than previously thought, albeit one with false memories.

I suspect that was either a typo or the person who wrote it just didn't check their facts. In the E3 stage demo our Lord and Savior T. Howard, may his magnificence reign forever, mentioned that the game starts on "a beautiful Saturday morning, with the threat of nuclear war looming." It just so happens that October 23, 2077 is a Saturday.

You're probably locked in your home for 30-40 minutes doing things to teach you the basics of the game before you trigger something else that ushers you to the Vault. Which you conveniently live down the street from.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
You are actually taught how to craft by being the stubborn do-it-yourself member of the family that refused to let some robot fix poo poo in your home. Like "borrowing" pieces of the neighbor's fence to repair your baby's cradle or helping Ol' Charlie brew some Moonshine Nuka Cola in his bathtub, there are a few toys you can make for yourself that somehow survive the Apocalypse for you to pick-up and use 200 years later in the future. Although building up the Suburb too much makes sure you wake up to find some odd new neighbors once Rumpelstiltskin wakes up like Stinky Joe the ex Raider Boss.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You still have to play through the annoyingly log tutorial once to get to that part.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

EDIT:

Had the boys in the lab working on this

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

You still have to play through the annoyingly log tutorial once to get to that part.

If you're fighting for games never to have any form of buildup at all, even the first time you play the game, you're going to be a long time waiting. Even the older Fallouts did that.

• Locked thread