Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
this splatfest is secretly Cool And Powerful People (rollercoasters) vs Lil' Baby Bitches (water slides)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

What we need to know is which side Zolthorg picks. Then we all go the other one.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

absolutely anything posted:

this splatfest is secretly Cool And Powerful People (rollercoasters) vs Lil' Baby Bitches (water slides)

gently caress you...

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
Waterslides are more awesome because they can be used for racing. Team waterslides will be less popular, but will still carry the day with competitive skill.

Team roller coaster is easily distracted by fleeting moments of excitement.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I don't like loops, so that's a strike against coasters, but I think Space Mountain is the best ride in Disney world, so that's a point for.

Water slides are great in the summer, but outright unusable (if not indoors) in the winter.

This is a hard one.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Moray Towers is out tonight/tomorrow guys!!!!!!!!!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Finally a map where Rollers might not be completely busted.

Super weird that we aren't getting triggerfish beforehand though seeing how it's in most of the promotional material. Maybe next week though.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Finally a map where Rollers might not be completely busted.

Super weird that we aren't getting triggerfish beforehand though seeing how it's in most of the promotional material. Maybe next week though.

Last words before a Dynamo Roller's ink on top of the tower comes crashing down on ThisIsACoolGuy at the bottom of the tower

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Jopoho posted:

Waterslides are more awesome because they can be used for racing. Team waterslides will be less popular, but will still carry the day with competitive skill.

Team roller coaster is easily distracted by fleeting moments of excitement.

Hey last time this happened the good team (dogs) won and it caused some serious forums meltdown so I'm cool with that. It's your choice to be wrong :)

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'm unable to go on rollercoasters because the forces may break the hardware in my back and paralyze/kill me, so this one is a pretty easy decision

Super pumped for the tower level, betting .96/squelchers/blasters/chargers will dominate, range is king with all those corners

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

How are ANY of you not voting roller coasters? :psyduck:

Water slides only go one way: down. Roller coasters can have hills and loops and poo poo, and they can be longer. One roller coaster is like 10 water slides.

Black Anaconda is super long and goes up :colbert:

https://www.noahsarkwaterpark.com/attractions/black-anaconda

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The tall vertical waterslides are scarier than rollercoasters because you really are in freefall with no safety equipment. Newer waterslides like the "watercoaster" at Typhoon Lagoon do go uphill and as for loops, well just image search "waterslide loop" There is the hilariously bad one we've probably all seen before, but some badass looking ones too.

Rollercoasters are cool and I like them but I think I'm going waterslide.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Hm, as a resident of Florida, I'll have to spend this weekend conducting Water Slide v Roller Coaster research.

Hmm, indeed.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I don't like rides. :(

Hopefully EU gets something different again.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Honestly, I just have fonder memories of water slides.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

More like the Team Roller Coaster (people who can't swim) vs Team Water Slide (people who are more in tune with their aquatic side)
This is perfect to see who really is a kid or a squid.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Who ever the rear end in a top hat is who decided limited ink challenges are fun should get ink sprayed unending in their face for all time

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Maple Leaf posted:

Honestly, I just have fonder memories of water slides.

Yeah, this. :kiddo:

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Who ever the rear end in a top hat is who decided limited ink challenges are fun should get ink sprayed unending in their face for all time

Try to avoid enemies as much as possible instead of killing them. That's the only way I was able to finish a couple of those challenges.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Trent posted:

HOLY BALLS YOU CAN SQUID JUMP AS THE KRAKKEN

Can you also Kraken midjump?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You guys don't have to go through all these boasts and justifications you can just admit you're picking sides based on one squid sister clearly being better than the other.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

But I love them especially the invisible floor one.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Chronojam posted:

Can you also Kraken midjump?

This could be tested easily by going to the testing range with a krakon roller. I'd do it now myself but I'm at work.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

This could be tested easily by going to the testing range with a krakon roller. I'd do it now myself but I'm at work.

You can Krakon a sec before you land but not while midair.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I was really worried about the limited ink challenges from reading this thread, but the invisible floor level was the only one I had to re-do, because of the enemies at the end. They're pretty unfun compared to Kraken speedruns, but they aren't that difficult.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I just unlocked the brush, I haven't used it in a match but it looks pretty ineffective, how are you supposed to use this thing?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I just unlocked the brush, I haven't used it in a match but it looks pretty ineffective, how are you supposed to use this thing?

Tap button at mach speed

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

You zip around in "roller" mode, hide in ink, and jump out and flick paint at unsuspecting people like crazy. Spamming the flick button spreads ink really well, especially if you keep moving. Basically, never stop moving unless you're waiting to ambush somebody. Don't do the roller mode unless you need to get somewhere fast, or escape from an enemy. Otherwise, flick paint like there's no tomorrow. Ninja Squid and Ink Resist are both vital abilities.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

dogsicle posted:

I was really worried about the limited ink challenges from reading this thread, but the invisible floor level was the only one I had to re-do, because of the enemies at the end. They're pretty unfun compared to Kraken speedruns, but they aren't that difficult.

I didn't realize the canister on your back was a separate tank of ink until I was done with the challenges, so I ended up being even more conservative with ink than the game demanded. :shrug:

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEt_tTu-ovA

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

You zip around in "roller" mode, hide in ink, and jump out and flick paint at unsuspecting people like crazy. Spamming the flick button spreads ink really well, especially if you keep moving. Basically, never stop moving unless you're waiting to ambush somebody. Don't do the roller mode unless you need to get somewhere fast, or escape from an enemy. Otherwise, flick paint like there's no tomorrow. Ninja Squid and Ink Resist are both vital abilities.

Ninja squid is not necessary but it is a good addition. I run around with cold-blooded more often.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I absolutely adore cold-blooded, but there's always a chance it'll just be a wasted slot if the enemy has no echolocator/haunt/point sensor anyway. More effective in Ranked, but even then I often find that it's not doing much for me.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Silver Falcon posted:

The Manticore posted:

I didn't realize the canister on your back was a separate tank of ink until I was done with the challenges, so I ended up being even more conservative with ink than the game demanded. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEt_tTu-ovA

Thanks, I've never really noticed people being good with that thing during matches, I'll have to play around with it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

There is apparently a Thing with the brush where the tip is a sweet spot that deals double damage. I don't inkbrush so I never tried

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Thanks, I've never really noticed people being good with that thing during matches, I'll have to play around with it.

Its pretty difficult. You have to be a highly controlled spaz. Always pressing some sort of button all the time. Super fun when you get the hang of it.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

"Codename: Squids Next Door"

I... you... what.

I'm not sure if that's clever or dumb, but either way I'm laughing harder than I should be.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The Manticore posted:

:what:

You mean I stressed out and finished with only a shot or two left on the HUD tanks... only to have another full tank I didn't even know about?! :negative:

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Icedude posted:

:what:

You mean I stressed out and finished with only a shot or two left on the HUD tanks... only to have another full tank I didn't even know about?! :negative:

I don't think so -- when the floating gauge runs out of ink, you're out and the level ends. Unless I'm misunderstanding what the other person said...

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

oopsie rock posted:

I don't think so -- when the floating gauge runs out of ink, you're out and the level ends. Unless I'm misunderstanding what the other person said...

The ink displayed in the HUD isn't your total supply for the level. You only fail once you've emptied the canister on your back as well, so you effectively have three tanks instead of two. You can see that in this video where he has about half a tank left once he reaches the Zapfish.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

The Manticore posted:

The ink displayed in the HUD isn't your total supply for the level. You only fail once you've emptied the canister on your back as well, so you effectively have three tanks instead of two. You can see that in this video where he has about half a tank left once he reaches the Zapfish.

I never paid attention to the ink canister on the inkling's back -- but I noticed that the gauge (the one that shows up when you submerge in ink) didn't start emptying for a while, and that once it was empty, the level would end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

SL the Pyro posted:

"Codename: Squids Next Door"

I... you... what.

I'm not sure if that's clever or dumb, but either way I'm laughing harder than I should be.

Real dumb since he is going to have to make a new channel or wait for Splatoon NX when he runs out of material.

• Locked thread