Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Gyorg I think they made unquestionably worse, and Odolwa was just too easy, but man did I have a lot of fun with Twinmold once I figured out what to do. Goht didn't really get much better/worse but it's such a fun base boss fight anyway it didn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

hamsystem posted:

Sorry is this had been asked a million times, but are digital purchases still tied to hardware or am I ok if something happens to this DS I'm about to buy?

The account is tied to hardware, but you can link it to your online Nintendo ID now, which will track your purchases. This allows support to transfer your ID to a new machine in the event you lose the original one with minimal fuss.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

Gyorg I think they made unquestionably worse, and Odolwa was just too easy, but man did I have a lot of fun with Twinmold once I figured out what to do. Goht didn't really get much better/worse but it's such a fun base boss fight anyway it didn't really matter.

The first time you do Twinmold is frankly awful for bringing down Blue, because Red's timed to fly over and gently caress your shot over just as Blue's finally bringing his weakpoint round to bear.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Quick reminder that Kid Icarus is the best game on the 3DS. I would've been happy if it ended a third of the way through, and was shocked to see that it was as long and as detailed as it was. Truly amazing what they packed into a 2GB game.

Replaying it now, and it's insane how many weapons there are. There's something for literally any playstyle.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Buttmeister posted:

Is it viable to buy a N3DSXL at this point? It seems that every time I buy a Nintendo handheld a new one is announced. It is mostly bad timing on my end because the cycle between me and Nintendo handhelds is "Haha that thing is for babies, I don't need it, OK I'm buying it". Right now I'm at the " OK I'm buying it" stage, but I don't want this Nintendo NX thing or whatever to come out and be all "ITS A PORTABLE WII U AND 3DS HOLY poo poo YOU GUYS".

The New XL has a built in amiibo reader and Circle Pad Pro. That's like $40 worth of add ons you would have to buy for a regular 3DS. Not to mention games like Smash that utilizes the extra processing power.

There will at the very least be N3DS enhanced games for the rest of the 3DS lifetime which will make it a plus to own.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

deadly_pudding posted:

The account is tied to hardware, but you can link it to your online Nintendo ID now, which will track your purchases. This allows support to transfer your ID to a new machine in the event you lose the original one with minimal fuss.

Ok, awesome, thanks.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

hamsystem posted:

Ok, awesome, thanks.

I should probably specify- there's no cloud, so if you don't have the old machine present and functioning for the system transfer, you'll lose the saves from your digital purchases. The account is your Nintendo ID, but the encryption on your data is tied to the hardware. It's super convoluted :v:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Jesus Christ what a way of explaining things.

hamsystem posted:

Sorry is this had been asked a million times, but are digital purchases still tied to hardware or am I ok if something happens to this DS I'm about to buy?
You can register a Nintendo Network ID (if you don't already have one), and all eShop purchases will essentially be tied to that. That NNID is tied to the system, though. If you break or lose your 3DS and replace it, you can call Nintendo, provide them with the NNID and they will link the NNID with your new system. You would lose your saves of course, but you would be able to re-download any of your purchases from the eShop.

If you decide to buy a 2nd 3DS for some reason, you would have to do a System Transfer from the old system to the new system. You require Internet access to do this. This will allow you to retain all your saves.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 10, 2015

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The NNID is also shared with the Wii U if you've got one

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Chronojam posted:

The NNID is also shared with the Wii U if you've got one

And there are a couple games that are cross-buy, which is cool. It's pretty shameful that these do not include Virtual Console games though.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
I have a regular New 3DS, does anyone else find it hard to get the C-Stick to register downwards? I have to press much harder than any other direction and I have to be really precise with the direction or it will be interpreted as left/right. Is this just how it is or is mine defective?

vvv It's actually MH4 I'm having trouble with. I'd noticed it before when just controling the camera, but then I started using a bow and aiming properly on uneven ground was difficult.

ArcticZombie fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 10, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mine is like that too. I think it might be a pretty common problem

I played like 100 hours of MH4 and it never really caused any problems though (I had actually assumed it had fixed itself until I went and checked the calibration thing just now)

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Majora's Mask 3D is inferior to Majora's Mask N64 in my opinion. Notebook pulling you into menus all the time for no reason, bosses made either easier or more tedious, Zora Link swimming all slow and poo poo unless using magic. I think I'll stick to playing MM on the N64 in the future if I need my MM fix.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can not go back to a Majora's Mask that does not allow you to jump to a specific time of the 3 day cycle. All other changes good or bad are trumped by that, in my opinion.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I'll never understand why so many people whine about having too see a quest notification that pops up only once per quest, or about Zora Link being made easier to handle without actually removing any of the previous abilities.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

If Zora Link is easier to handle in the 3DS version, I don't think I ever want to play the N64 version.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I honestly don't remember how it was different on the N64, with the 3DS one I felt it became fine once I inverted the control stick.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ArcticZombie posted:

I have a regular New 3DS, does anyone else find it hard to get the C-Stick to register downwards? I have to press much harder than any other direction and I have to be really precise with the direction or it will be interpreted as left/right. Is this just how it is or is mine defective?

vvv It's actually MH4 I'm having trouble with. I'd noticed it before when just controling the camera, but then I started using a bow and aiming properly on uneven ground was difficult.

Check out your C-stick's functionality in 3DS settings to see if it's defective. Monster Hunter's camera controls are generally poo poo. I thought my C-stick was also poo poo until I tried it in other games, like Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, where camera controls only require gentle pressure and are actually analog unlike Monster Hunter's. For more accuracy in 4G, try getting used to pulling the C-stick downwards from the top instead of pressing the lower portion of it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Yo, so having never played the original version and therefore don't care about the graphical downgrade:
How's Xenoblade? I hear it's a single player MMO, which doesn't bother me. Is the story cool and the fighting interesting?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Yo, so having never played the original version and therefore don't care about the graphical downgrade:
How's Xenoblade? I hear it's a single player MMO, which doesn't bother me. Is the story cool and the fighting interesting?

Yes.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

enojy posted:

Check out your C-stick's functionality in 3DS settings to see if it's defective. Monster Hunter's camera controls are generally poo poo. I thought my C-stick was also poo poo until I tried it in other games, like Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, where camera controls only require gentle pressure and are actually analog unlike Monster Hunter's. For more accuracy in 4G, try getting used to pulling the C-stick downwards from the top instead of pressing the lower portion of it.

Where is this in the settings? I could only find calibration for the circle pad. I just downloaded Ironfall to test it out. I still got left/right inputs (only small ones this time, since it's actually analog) when moving up/down, but it was a lot better than in MH.

As an aside, when I got MH I didn't have a New 3DS, now that I do I have to keep enabling CPP in the options everytime I launch it. It there any way to get that to stick?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

deadly_pudding posted:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

deadly_pudding posted:

It's still one of the best RPGs of the last decade, so yes. Get it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Thank you for Xenoblade opinions. I will probably get it this weekend.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

If you liked FFXII you will probably love Xenoblade Chronicles. It's rather good.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D is pretty good, but as someone else said, it's kinda ugly -- it's a 1.5-generation-old console game ported to a handheld, so it's to be expected. The game itself is good, though. Just don't get too caught up in side quests and collecting poo poo, because it puts a damper on the game's progression and really isn't even worth doing in the long run.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Does Kid Icarus work with the second nub of the New 3DS?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Does Kid Icarus work with the second nub of the New 3DS?
Not in the way you think you want it to.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Not in the way you think you want it to.
Right. It works as a second control stick - the same way the circle pad pro did. So if you're a leftie - or want to sue the stylus in your left hand for whatever reason - yes good for you! (Note I fall in this group). If you want twin stick aiming - no.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
That's a shame. I couldn't get into it at release because of the controls. I just wanted it to be like Sin and Punishment, I guess.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
The stylus is a better right stick than the c-nub, believe me

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It's really not

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Saagonsa posted:

It's really not
For Kid Icarus it is

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Kid Icarus would be a nightmare to play with twin-stick controls

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I wish I could play Kid Icarus using only the power my mind

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Kid Icarus separates those who have strong wrists and those who need more calcium in their diet.

Jadaris
May 9, 2003

I am Leto, Lion of Atreides
Kid Icarus separates those who are left handed from those who are right handed.

Jadaris
May 9, 2003

I am Leto, Lion of Atreides

deadly_pudding posted:

Isn't a single player MMO just an RPG

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Jadaris posted:

Usually people use it to mean a really grindy RPG with lots of fetch quests and MMO-like elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jadaris posted:

No because MMO's also include a ton of bullshit specifically designed to make everything as long and tedious as possible.