Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kellsterik posted:

I'm guessing the huge market dominance of D&D type games correlates to more of the people who would start (and back) a project like this primarily being players of those games.

Wouldn't be have to actually license D&D to be able to advertise his software as using it though since he's doing it for profit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
It doesn't have to actually say D&D. It just has to talk about AC and classes and initiative and rolling d20s and people will get the picture.

Whereas if he talks about Fate points, all his buddies will go "what".

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Sefer posted:

There's a kickstater for a new Fabled Lands book: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/57119387/fabled-lands-the-serpent-kings-domain/description

I only found out about these last year, but in the 90s there were a series of these books. They're like choose your own adventure on crack, with a character sheet keeping track of stats, equipment, houses and ships you own and what equipment is stored in them, and passwords indicating quests you've completed or where you are in ongoing quests. You can travel around within a book and move from book to book; they're linked up so that if you leave section y of one book you end up in section x of another.

It's a cool concept, and I think it's neat that they're continuing the series. There were several more planned out when they originals were published that never came out.

The Fabled Lands series is probably the best gamebook series ever made. Certainly the most ambitious. There are certain others that I absolutely would recommend, like Lone Wolf, but the brilliance of the open exploration design plus the pretty solid worldbuilding in Fabled Lands is really something else. Only problem is, they conceived and put in hooks for twelve books, and six got published before things shut down. So Kickstarting the rest? Hells yes.

Edit: $40 hardcover as the only gamebook tier? Um. Maybe not so much. :(

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 10, 2015

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

So how does that work if you don't have all the books.. You just can't go east or something?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's funny; an hour or so ago I was just thinking that we hadn't seen a bad "HAY GUYS I MADE AN RPG" project in a while, and now here we are.

I know this is a VTT not a game, but still. Why does every VTT proof-of-concept only show a generic D&D game? Why do they never show something that could obviously be from a completely different system or genre?

I hadn't heard of this before. How does it compare with roll20?

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

Fearless in Devotion, Rising to Promotion,
Rising to the ranks of mighty heroes, Fighting foes in every land,

History only tells a story, We are to see your glory,
Stand aside the Reds are coming,
WREXHAM IS THE NAME

Doctor Zero posted:

So how does that work if you don't have all the books.. You just can't go east or something?

Yeah pretty much :(. There are paths presented that say open to page whatever in book non-existant.

There's a pretty good app version out there for anyone wanting to try it. http://sourceforge.net/projects/flapp/

And I know there's also an iOS version too that adds a bunch of art to the books, albeit some of it is of the cheesy anime genre.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah, pretty sure it's "If you have book X, go to section 123 of book X. Else go back to section 234."

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Doctor Zero posted:

I used to own one book of the series and it isn't that bad. If I recall right, every path that takes you to another book is a pretty major thing. Turning right at a crossroads wouldn't take you to another book, but things like embarking on ship voyages or traveling with caravans would.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

General Ironicus posted:

You've spoken a bit about Incursions in The Thin Blue Line, but are straight-up classic vampires an option? And, to make my implicit question explicit, can I make Only Lovers Left Alive part of my campaign backstory?

poo poo, sorry I missed this when you asked it. As the setting is written there aren't any vampires or werewolves or zombies or ghouls (well, maybe ghouls). It's not an urban fantasy kind of thing with vampires and werewolves fighting in the background or anything. That being said, if you want to do some straight-up Only Lovers Left Alive shenanigans go for it. TBL and Savage Worlds are both pretty versatile, so you can do whatever you want with it. Like I told someone the other day, when I run TBL it's pretty gritty and deadly, but if someone wanted to run an 80s-style buddy cop movie game starring totally not Axel Foley and totally not William Magnum I would play in that game in a loving heartbeat.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Does anyone have any thoughts on Foe Hunters? At a glance, it looks quite similar to Sentinels of the Multiverse in play structure, but with better art and a fantasy theme.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

There's still a bunch of stuff going on that happens fully inside that particular part of the world. But certain choices would bring you to a different book, and it'll sometimes give you keywords to indicate that you've had an encounter and maybe how it went, which might pay off in that book or might not come into play until a different one. Similarly, you might be asked about keywords and might or might not have them.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Foe Hunters? At a glance, it looks quite similar to Sentinels of the Multiverse in play structure, but with better art and a fantasy theme.

The part where it's a deckbuilder is a pretty big difference. One of the big selling points of Sentinels, to me, is that all the decks are prebuilt and that's a big part of how they convey theme and narrative.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

malkav11 posted:

Edit: $40 hardcover as the only gamebook tier? Um. Maybe not so much. :(

Yeah, I'd be all over this if there were a cheaper paperback option or something. It's a little much, considering you can still get the original six much cheaper on amazon.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Received the rest of my Galaxy Defenders expansion KS rewards today (i.e. the Moon tier and Final Countdown bundle, the Galaxy-tier specific stuff - the original game and Elite Legion - having shipped some months back). Nearly 20 pounds of Xcom-y miniatures-intensive cooperative goodness. Three giant boxes worth of toys. And, unlike certain other KS projects I could mention, all the Kickstarter rewards are smartly packed into their own stylish "Top Secret" box, Final Countdown stuff included. Which made their packing and shipping process real easy, I'm sure, and makes storing them similarly easy for me. I've been pretty impressed by the way it was run overall.

Alas, most of the new toys are intended to be used in the new campaigns and can't be injected directly into the base game experience that we're currently on, but they look pretty awesome for when the time does come.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Played 3 player Cthulhu Wars a bunch. After teaching it was down to about 2 hours per game, actually felt like it played fairly quick. We did three games, each of us winning once. No one has won with the black goat yet, seems like a tough faction to get the most out of.

E: oops wrong thread

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 12, 2015

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

malkav11 posted:

Received the rest of my Galaxy Defenders expansion KS rewards today

I grabbed Galaxy Defenders some time ago in a big bundle because it was a co-op and I was intrigued by the map and alien "AI" system but it's still unopened I'm sad to say. Honestly the art style and design turns me off. Every time I consider breaking the game out I just kinda wind up going :effort: and picking something else from the shelf. Am I missing out?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

I grabbed Galaxy Defenders some time ago in a big bundle because it was a co-op and I was intrigued by the map and alien "AI" system but it's still unopened I'm sad to say. Honestly the art style and design turns me off. Every time I consider breaking the game out I just kinda wind up going :effort: and picking something else from the shelf. Am I missing out?

Potentially. It seems really tough (like, I have no idea how I'd ever get good enough to play with the Elite Legion) but tactically rewarding, and the mission design is pretty cool, I think. Stuff like the way they seed the event deck with just enough randomness but still produce an overall arc, and build in game-changing special events. Plus the campaign branches based on your degree of success. And there's a good sense of progression, either in-map if you're doing it as a one-off, or over time if you're playing the campaign. But I don't know you or what you're looking for in a coop game. For example, if you want something light or short? This ain't it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mister Sinewave posted:

Played 3 player Cthulhu Wars a bunch. After teaching it was down to about 2 hours per game, actually felt like it played fairly quick. We did three games, each of us winning once. No one has won with the black goat yet, seems like a tough faction to get the most out of.

Shub's fiddly. On the board you get control from strikes of opportunity, which are easier to make if there are more opponents. Off the board you score points by sacrificing cultists, which is easier to do if people aren't attacking you. From both directions you do better with four players than with three - but with more players it's harder to get all six spellbooks.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Hmm. I can see that. Especially the more chances for strikes of opportunity with more players.

malkav11 posted:

GD stuff

It sounds like the elements I was interested in are present in there, which is good to hear. There are just more games than I can keep up with these days, but its time will come :rolldice:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

It sounds like the elements I was interested in are present in there, which is good to hear. There are just more games than I can keep up with these days, but its time will come :rolldice:

Yeah, you and me both. I've only managed to get Galaxy Defenders out twice, myself. (so take those impressions with a grain of salt) Now that the rest of the KS stuff has arrived I'm going to try to push that more, but we're also working on the second PACG set, I impulse preordered Forbidden Stars, 7 more cases of Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective to go, and War of Indines Remastered and all the stuff from that should be arriving in the next month or so...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

malkav11 posted:

7 more cases of Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective to go,
This is a thing? I only recently learned about the original version from, I think, 1981.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

This is a thing? I only recently learned about the original version from, I think, 1981.

Oh yeah. There's a modern reprint. And it's even in stock:
http://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holmes-Consulting-Detective-Game/dp/2914849893

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I received my copy of Pocket Imperium by surprise today, with the Mech Worlds promo tile and the Prosperity expansion, last I heard was the "survey is going out" update. Not every day I receive a package from Finland, it traveled a long way to gt down here! Looking forward to giving it a try.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

I received my copy of Pocket Imperium by surprise today, with the Mech Worlds promo tile and the Prosperity expansion, last I heard was the "survey is going out" update. Not every day I receive a package from Finland, it traveled a long way to gt down here! Looking forward to giving it a try.

Ditto, and it looks like they used the same printer as Tiny Epic X, the parts are all super solid and well done.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
After a few years of graft and the support of friends, family, and kickstarter backers Legacy: Life Among the Ruins is now finished!

If you're interested in a game that focuses on rebuilding and exploration and adds a faction-level focus to the Apocalypse World engine, go check it out here: [url]http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/151507/Legacy-Life-Among-the-Ruins?src=sa[/url]

If you're a backer and haven't got your code or are having problems ordering, hit me up and I'll try to fix it.

Flavivirus fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 13, 2015

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

That was a nice surprise here too, didn't realise it was shipping. I enjoyed the old PnP version. What does the Mech Worlds tile do? I'm concerned that I managed to throw out an explanation of it.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
My physical copy of Worlds in Peril showed today; I wasn't expecting it for about a week or so since the last update on Friday said "The last batch of US shipments went out today, please allow a couple weeks for international delivery"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

unseenlibrarian posted:

My physical copy of Worlds in Peril showed today; I wasn't expecting it for about a week or so since the last update on Friday said "The last batch of US shipments went out today, please allow a couple weeks for international delivery"

How is the book quality-wise? Like Dungeon World?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Full color hardback, on glossy paper! Also heavy new book smell.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

malkav11 posted:

Yeah, you and me both. I've only managed to get Galaxy Defenders out twice, myself. (so take those impressions with a grain of salt) Now that the rest of the KS stuff has arrived I'm going to try to push that more, but we're also working on the second PACG set, I impulse preordered Forbidden Stars, 7 more cases of Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective to go, and War of Indines Remastered and all the stuff from that should be arriving in the next month or so...

I've played a full campaign of Galaxy Defenders and its one of my favorite games. It has flaws (people can die during mission kicking them out of the game. I houseruled it that if need be people can roll dice for a "second wind" type deal. Nobody wants to sit around when there's still an hour of game left to go). The game is tough, but the leveling system and the campaign make it incredibly entertaining on what is going to happen. I was using the sniper and by the end of the game I was hitting guys so they would have to roll more than 10 dice at one point. It really felt like I became the ultimate badass.

I'm in Canada so my stuff will probably take a while to reach me yet but I am super excited. It's the game I wanted Mage Knight to be (I know Mage Knight gets a lot of love around here, but it just wasn't for me). I definitely recommend giving it a shot.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Who wants a PbtA Watership Down game!

Oh god the movie trauma...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just got a shipping notification for SDE!

And... It's going to the wrong address. But I fixed it! This shouldn't be happening.

E: they intercepted it and corrected it. Good thing!

moths fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 15, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Piss off!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I've defended James Wallis here before but the latest Alas, Vegas update is enraging.

TL;DR: "I haven't really been working on it even though I said I would and I said I'd provide more regular updates because I'm working on Paranoia instead and also teaching, and you guys should totally come to this lecture I'm giving because I'm a high-fallutin' Game Designer."

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
On a more positive note, if anyone out there is thinking of running a Kickstarter, this post seems like an awesome resource.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Peas and Rice posted:

On a more positive note, if anyone out there is thinking of running a Kickstarter, this post seems like an awesome resource.

It's certainly very comprehensive! It's tilted quite a bit towards board games/minis, but even single-guy Rpg kickstarters have no excuse not to have a full draft of rules, quotes from artists and editors etc before they press go on the kickstarter. It's also important to realise you need to start your marketing long before you start the kickstarter.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Peas and Rice posted:

I've defended James Wallis here before but the latest Alas, Vegas update is enraging.

TL;DR: "I haven't really been working on it even though I said I would and I said I'd provide more regular updates because I'm working on Paranoia instead and also teaching, and you guys should totally come to this lecture I'm giving because I'm a high-fallutin' Game Designer."

I love his latest excuse for why the document isn't done yet "my laptop rebooted and it hadn't auto saved my work".

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Feng Shui 2 has announced the start of shipping! I am excite. The PDF was nice, but I still love me some big fat glossy RPG books.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

occamsnailfile posted:

Feng Shui 2 has announced the start of shipping! I am excite. The PDF was nice, but I still love me some big fat glossy RPG books.

Hopefully this means that I can buy a physical book soon, since my group has taken to it pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Quick guys, get in on this before they are all gone!

Corbi Quest

• Locked thread