Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
The exception is the town I live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Everyone I attempted to speak with who didn't speak English spoke usable Mandarin. Between the two of those you'll be fine. Worst case you write things down as simply as possible in Chinese characters and gesture. That worked for me when I went to China but only spoke Japanese and Korean.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

augustus gluten posted:

The exception is the town I live in.

They speak English, they just don't wanna talk to you.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Why are you being so mean in the normal China thread, tom?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

augustus gluten posted:

Why are you being so mean in the normal China thread, tom?

Sorry, pal :blush:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I always get dirty looks in HK when I forget where I am and use Mandarin.

Could just be me, though!

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

I always get dirty looks in HK when I forget where I am and use Mandarin.

Could just be me, though!

I was with friends visiting Hong Kong, when they walked in to a restaurant and immediately started speaking Mandarin to the staff, forgetting where they were. The waiter relied, in very cold English, "I don't speak Mandarin. Please wait over there." We didn't get a table.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I think it might make a difference whether you are white or Chinese-looking, but that is pure speculation

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

simplefish posted:

I think it might make a difference whether you are white or Chinese-looking, but that is pure speculation

They're mainlanders. I guess locals hate mainlanders assuming Mandarin is the primary language everywhere.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
My Chinese brother-in-law is currently studying in Japan. He wants to go to a game design program at a Japanese trade school (HAL) in Osaka; then he might be coming back to China.

Any of you game industry people think this is a good idea?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

My Chinese brother-in-law is currently studying in Japan. He wants to go to a game design program at a Japanese trade school (HAL) in Osaka; then he might be coming back to China.

Any of you game industry people think this is a good idea?

Everything in China is either mobile or satellite stuff for big companies that mainly need asset production or general support for their AAA games, which has little in the way of room for actual designers. As long as he has his expectations in check it's not any worse an idea than doing it in any other country.

There is a growing indie community in Shanghai, though, if he can deal with that.

But game design is a hard thing to get into anywhere, so China's not unique in that regard. It's probably a better idea than staying in Japan where game production is half dead, I guess???

Really the best way in is if you can code and/or have technical art skills since those are and will always be in higher demand. In my experience almost all actual working game designers start somewhere else, be it QA, programming or whatever.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Trammel posted:

They're mainlanders. I guess locals hate mainlanders assuming Mandarin is the primary language everywhere.

Locals just hate mainlanders.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Hey all - had a look at the HK page but couldn't find something specific. Spending a 3 day weekend with the Mrs there next week basically to hang out and eat dumplings and take it in - what district would you recommend staying in (probably looking at an AirBNB)

Cheers

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There's a HK thread?

Well stay at Bishop Lei hotel. Air BnB in HK blows because housing here sucks

Eat some wontons from http://www.openrice.com/en/hongkong/restaurant/central-maks-noodle/1998

beef brisket noodles from http://www.openrice.com/en/hongkong/restaurant/central-kau-kee-restaurant/1618?tc=sr1

If you want Japanese ramen there's Ichiran

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

caberham posted:

If you want Japanese ramen there's Shugetsu

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Cheers for the intel there-

Just spent a week in Tokyo so anymore Ramen and I might die

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

In that case- just sleep, eat and shop at Chungking Mansions for your whole stay.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

haha - the only other time I was in HK many years ago I pulled an American girl, bought loads of.. stuff.. from a Nepalese fella in the stairs and did exactly that.

/random anecdote

Wanted something a little more civilised this time

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bishop Lei is pretty great.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Please tell me more about that anecdotal story

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sounds like you've already got poo poo figured out, enjoy your visit!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Are there any good books about Chinese healthcare (such as problems with traditional medicine and the cargo culture-ish approach to modern medicine)? I have plenty of experiences with it and China goons seem to as well, but I'd like to get some researched info on it.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'm planning on visiting China as my first international trip (at 31 years old...) and only just got my passport as of last week. I read multiple websites explaining visa requirements, but before I shell out $1000+ on airfare, I want to make sure that nothing goes wrong. Is there a certain amount of time that you have to have a passport before applying for a visa, or could you apply as soon as you get one?

I think I confused myself with the "6th months of validity" part and could swear I read somewhere what I asked about above.

I'm planning to go September 4th through the 18th. Is that enough time to take care of everything?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Moneyball posted:

I think I confused myself with the "6th months of validity" part and could swear I read somewhere what I asked about above.

I'm planning to go September 4th through the 18th. Is that enough time to take care of everything?

That means you need to have at least 6 months left until your passport expires, not that you've had it for 6 months.

For a tourist visa, unless things have seriously changed, yes, that's enough time. (For a work visa that would be cutting it a little close.)

Where will you be going in China?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I'm going to Qingdao and will be staying with a friend. We might travel around a bit while I'm there, but I have someplace to stay. I saw that there is no invitation letter required for tourist visas, but proof of flight and hotel reservations are required. If no hotel reservation, will I need an invitation letter after all?

She's saying that I should submit an invitation letter from her father's company, but I think that would raise an even bigger red flag if I'm not staying in a hotel- can't her or her parents just send me one?

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 15, 2015

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Fake/cancelled reservation, and/or actually stay at a hotel for a night or two depending on your flight times.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I ended up booking a tent for two weeks at Qingdao Nanko Youth Hostel for $105.

As far as lodging goes, is a tent exactly what it sounds like, or what?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Your guess is as good as mine.

Print out your receipt and then cancel the tent, that should do fine with your visa application.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Moneyball posted:

I ended up booking a tent for two weeks at Qingdao Nanko Youth Hostel for $105.

As far as lodging goes, is a tent exactly what it sounds like, or what?

Pretty sure that marriott.com allows you to book with a credit card and cancel the reservation online immediately. They also don't charge the card until the day of the reservation.

When I got my last visa I booked a room in Shanghai, printed it, and canceled it all within 5 minutes. Never charged.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 16, 2015

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
So is the best place to change my money into HKD and RMB still Hong Kong? I'm using Canadian dollars, fwiw, and I'm mostly planning on doing it with my debit/interac card

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Just withdraw from ATMs. Though the rate I got in HK when I came from SZ was pretty close to the actual market rate.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Using something other than an ATM isn't worth your time.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Some one actually asked about opening a bank account, for a 2 month trip :ohdear:

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
i dunno if chung king mansions will take canada dollars

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Lady Galaga posted:

i dunno if chung king mansions will take canada dollars

Heck, I wouldn't.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Us airports don't take Canadian dollars, even

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

augustus gluten posted:

Us airports don't take Canadian dollars, even

:911::hf::smug:

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I've changed CAD at Chungking mansions before.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
My mom gave me a bunch of USD as a going away present lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Does anyone know of any decent websites for learning English (for Chinese?). Like, a list of basic words with phonetically arranged characters for them to read and try to pronounce? Or some pinyin? My landlord (she's in her 40s, missed out on learning English earlier) wants to learn basic English phrases, but I want her to be able to read at her own pace. Maybe an android app? Anything but a paper book.