Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

What's up with sorta popular internet fat dude vloggers defending fph. Both that boogie guy and a regular on TWiT gave Real Brave defenses of people harassing others over the Internet.

They have a right to talk about how much they hate fat goddamn bastards and want to kill them, and to tell them to kill themselves, you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

because it keeps fat women below them in the social hierarchy, which means they still have a chance of getting with a decent 6.5 figure

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
new CEO said one of his first priorities is a clear content policy. hoping it is stricter than their current rules so all the people celebrating ellen pao's removal as a 'victory for free speech' wake up one day to find that actually, they lost

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

that's about right

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
too kind really ...

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

bobbilljim posted:

[–]Big_Test_Icicle 0 points 1 month ago
What is your beef with all of this? If you do not like Uber or their business model then shut the gently caress up and use another service. No one is forcing you to use Uber.
permalinkparent

[–]xXxCreedFan420xXx -2 points 1 month ago
"What is your beef with all of this? If you do not like slavery or their business model then shut the gently caress up and use another service. No one is forcing you to use slavery.
permalinkparent

[–]Big_Test_Icicle 3 points 1 month ago
You're right thus I would probably not use slaves. How is this a valid argument?

loll

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

that's a wierd way to spell 'triump of free speech'

that's a weird way to spell weird

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i hope reddit outlaws swears in order to be more family friendly for the admen

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A Yolo Wizard posted:

What's up with sorta popular internet fat dude vloggers defending fph. Both that boogie guy and a regular on TWiT gave Real Brave defenses of people harassing others over the Internet.

i heard the twit show. most people are unaware that fph people were actively harassing and stalking fat people. they seem to be believe the narrative that it was shut down because they were just making mean jokes guys!

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

/r/fatpeoplehate just shows a Banned page with a tiny link to this part of the user agreement:

Keep Everyone Safe: You agree to not intentionally jeopardize the health and safety of others or yourself.

pretty unsatisfying explanation imo

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

looks like I'll have to keep the "reddit mass exodus" champagne chilled for now.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

i heard the twit show. most people are unaware that fph people were actively harassing and stalking fat people. they seem to be believe the narrative that it was shut down because they were just making mean jokes guys!

jj stone is dumb and equivocates removing lovely posters from reddit to removing prostitution from craigslist. oh no we need to keep racists in the open, because the alternative is them all retreating to the deep web to plan their global coup.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

A Yolo Wizard posted:

to plan their global coup.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725941

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

yay that guy got banned :toot:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
nothing helps the spread of hate more than keeping them off of popular social media sites. A thing tech savvy internet men actually believe.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it'll be interesting to see whether they can salvage AMA. pao, whether intentionally or not, destroyed one of the better opportunities they had for monetization and expanding the site's audience. after she did that she had to go

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

it'll be interesting to see whether they can salvage AMA. pao, whether intentionally or not, destroyed one of the better opportunities they had for monetization and expanding the site's audience. after she did that she had to go

source your quotes

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

pao's agenda

74% of the userbase is male. for comparison, 74% of pinterest's users are female and it's pigeonholed as that network for girls to post wedding dresses while reddit is seen as the official voice of the Internet. 6% of adults who use the Internet use reddit, 71% use Facebook, 23% use Twitter. the vast majority of redditors are 16-24 males.

when they deleted the harassment reddits they said the goal was to expand its use as an open platform for communication. well, the majority of its users do not want it to be that way. they want it to continue to be their exclusive boys' club where they can post about those loving whores and those loving coons and those loving queers all day. why do you think they're so against expanding to be more open to people outside their demographic and hostile to women in power?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

pao's agenda

74% of the userbase is male. for comparison, 74% of pinterest's users are female and it's pigeonholed as that network for girls to post wedding dresses while reddit is seen as the official voice of the Internet. 6% of adults who use the Internet use reddit, 71% use Facebook, 23% use Twitter. the vast majority of redditors are 16-24 males.

when they deleted the harassment reddits they said the goal was to expand its use as an open platform for communication. well, the majority of its users do not want it to be that way. they want it to continue to be their exclusive boys' club where they can post about those loving whores and those loving coons and those loving queers all day. why do you think they're so against expanding to be more open to people outside their demographic and hostile to women in power?

yeah

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if the reddit management cannot make a hard rule banning hate speech then there is no hope for saving that site.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The Management posted:

if the reddit management cannot make a hard rule banning hate speech then there is no hope for saving that site.

you know the site's users will insist that anything said by "SJWs" ("the real bigots") be treated as hate speech too

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

eschaton posted:

you know the site's users will insist that anything said by "SJWs" ("the real bigots") be treated as hate speech too

this doesn't matter because the site's users don't have valid opinions

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Management posted:

the founders don't want to ban it. they're libertarians after all

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008

Broken Machine posted:

that's a weird way to spell weird

Lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

reddit's management didn't even know that they were firing the one person coordinating the biggest "mainstream" draw to the site. i think it's safe to say they have no idea how reddit actually works or what goes on.

this probably is why investors think it's worth money too

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

This summer I decided to take a 2nd session summer school class to get it out of the way. It's a group speech class which means group work is required. Unfortunately I have had to deal with this guy named "Calvin" in my group and I'm not sure how to handle him. I hate confrontation, but will do what's necessary to get this to stop.

On the first day we got into our group to start work on our first project. In my group I have (Calvin), 2 other girls (Amanda/Lucy, and another guy (Dave).

Calvin took an active leadership role in our group. He's tall, domineering, and was in the air force reserves. He has also mentioned that he went on tour for 6 months and has a little bit of PTSD because his base was fired at a few times. Intiationally I thought he was kind of cute, but I didn't really know him yet so I was still feeling him out. He quickly ruined it for me by saying sexist stuff and not respecting my personal space.

Our professor told us that our first presentation had to be on a controversial topic and were given a list of hot topics. On the list was "women in the military" and Calvin said "women shouldn't be allowed in the military because they don't have the mental capacity for war" (Wtf?!). We all disagreed and suggested a different topic. We all agreed on human trafficking. While we were brain storming ideas, Calvin kept putting his hand behind my chair (like at the movie theaters and the guy puts his arm around his date so he encompasses her body). It was really odd and made me uncomfortable so I kept scooting back and he would scoot forward towards me giving me no personal space.

After class he kept awkwardly flirting with me and asking where I lived? (wtf?). He suggested we go out for coffee (just the 2 of us) and I said "as friends?" and he said "I dont need any more friends". (Okay????). I told him I already have plans and he said "Yeah right, but okay" and walked off. I was still talking to Lucy and he came back over 5 mins later and said "So are you coming or not?" and I told him "Sorry I already have plans." He said "Your loss" and finally went away. Lucy said wtf? I told her about him and she thought his behavior was odd and mechanical. She noticed the weird chair incident and suggested I don't sit by him next time.

The next day I made sure to sit across from him instead of next to him, so he wouldn't do that stupid arm thing again. He was on his phone a lot while we were talking, and I didn't really think anything of it. After class David pulled me to the side and said he saw Calvin taking a picture of cleavage. I immediately flipped out and told him we have to tell the professor now. We told the professor and he said he would take care of it. That was last Thursday before the 4th of July weekend. I'm not sure what to expect Monday or if I should do anything more. I feel highly uncomfortable around him. Any advice would be appreciated.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
im starting to think ohanian fired victoria on advance publications behalf because he knew the only time to get moderators to do the ama celeb vetting/onboarding process for free was to get rid of her while pao was in charge, knowing she would get all the flak over the popular subreddit shutdown, and making her step down would magically make everything better and they didn't have to pay someone to tend to the most popular and revenue generating portion of the site. win freakin win

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Luigi Thirty posted:

This summer I decided to take a 2nd session summer school class to get it out of the way. It's a group speech class which means group work is required. Unfortunately I have had to deal with this guy named "Calvin" in my group and I'm not sure how to handle him. I hate confrontation, but will do what's necessary to get this to stop.

On the first day we got into our group to start work on our first project. In my group I have (Calvin), 2 other girls (Amanda/Lucy, and another guy (Dave).

Calvin took an active leadership role in our group. He's tall, domineering, and was in the air force reserves. He has also mentioned that he went on tour for 6 months and has a little bit of PTSD because his base was fired at a few times. Intiationally I thought he was kind of cute, but I didn't really know him yet so I was still feeling him out. He quickly ruined it for me by saying sexist stuff and not respecting my personal space.

Our professor told us that our first presentation had to be on a controversial topic and were given a list of hot topics. On the list was "women in the military" and Calvin said "women shouldn't be allowed in the military because they don't have the mental capacity for war" (Wtf?!). We all disagreed and suggested a different topic. We all agreed on human trafficking. While we were brain storming ideas, Calvin kept putting his hand behind my chair (like at the movie theaters and the guy puts his arm around his date so he encompasses her body). It was really odd and made me uncomfortable so I kept scooting back and he would scoot forward towards me giving me no personal space.

After class he kept awkwardly flirting with me and asking where I lived? (wtf?). He suggested we go out for coffee (just the 2 of us) and I said "as friends?" and he said "I dont need any more friends". (Okay????). I told him I already have plans and he said "Yeah right, but okay" and walked off. I was still talking to Lucy and he came back over 5 mins later and said "So are you coming or not?" and I told him "Sorry I already have plans." He said "Your loss" and finally went away. Lucy said wtf? I told her about him and she thought his behavior was odd and mechanical. She noticed the weird chair incident and suggested I don't sit by him next time.

The next day I made sure to sit across from him instead of next to him, so he wouldn't do that stupid arm thing again. He was on his phone a lot while we were talking, and I didn't really think anything of it. After class David pulled me to the side and said he saw Calvin taking a picture of cleavage. I immediately flipped out and told him we have to tell the professor now. We told the professor and he said he would take care of it. That was last Thursday before the 4th of July weekend. I'm not sure what to expect Monday or if I should do anything more. I feel highly uncomfortable around him. Any advice would be appreciated.

wait, I don't see reddit dumping all over this girl for teasing a vet or anything, nor that the vet was a redditor. what are you trying to pull here?

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
yospos in cjs: "eat the rich"

yospos in reddit thread: "won't someone think of the CEOs?"

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
reddit is that bad

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Condiv posted:

wait, I don't see reddit dumping all over this girl for teasing a vet or anything, nor that the vet was a redditor. what are you trying to pull here?

that feminism is a moral imperative

e: much like the white genocide

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Luigi Thirty posted:

that feminism is a moral imperative

e: much like the white genocide

well i mean duh

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Jonad posted:

the rich are people my friend

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

support are troops

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

BONGHITZ posted:

support r/troops

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jonad posted:

yosposters > ceos > redditors

its not complicated

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

PCjr sidecar posted:

yosposters > ceos > redditors

its not complicated

sea slugs > yosposters > lint found in the bellybutton of sea slugs > ceos > the feces of sea slug lint bacteria > redditors

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Jonad posted:

sea slugs > yosposters > lint found in the bellybutton of sea slugs > ceos > the feces of sea slug lint bacteria > redditors

everyone else >

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

new CEO said one of his first priorities is a clear content policy. hoping it is stricter than their current rules so all the people celebrating ellen pao's removal as a 'victory for free speech' wake up one day to find that actually, they lost

lol no all aboard the express to coontown

q: So when is /r/coontown going away?

a: I think our approach to subreddits like that will be different. The content there is reprehensible, as I'm sure any reasonable person would agree, but if it were appropriately quarantined, it would not have a negative impact on other specific individuals in the same way FPH does.
I want to hear more discussion on the topic. I'm open to other arguments.
I want to be very clear: I don't want to ever ban content. Sometimes, however, I feel we have no choice because we want to protect reddit itself.

• Locked thread