Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Racial prejudice and stereotyping is probably the best thing about d&d and I'm not joking whatsoever.

I had some other stuff written up but gave up. Is there a nice way to ask you to not reproduce or talk to impressionable people/kids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Racial prejudice and stereotyping is probably the best thing about d&d and I'm not joking whatsoever.

Dwarf mothers get so fat, you can't target both them and their fetuses with your AoEs

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sage Genesis posted:

3. Who the hell thinks that brutal racism and trade can coincide like that? You can do it these days with automated systems and global economies, but in Ye Days of Olde you need to do a lot of face to face meetings and negotiations. Plus, firsthand exposure to other cultures that goes beyond stereotypes and prejudices. Old traders were known for being more tolerant, not less.

It's in the best spirit of DnD tradition, so long as you're racist against drow, orcs, half-orcs, goblins, and fighters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hillsfar does not actually have any notable High Level characters hanging around in it. The closest to it was the mage that took over the city and made it such a horrible place. (But he is dead now, and he died because he was not a good enough Wizard to become a Lich.)

Anyway there are some nice towns near this horrible city. And it's probably one of the least evil of the Moonsea's major cities as it does not share the same religion as most of them. (The main religion of most of the major cities is worship of Bane the god of Tyranny.) Who I would guess are the main trade partners of Hillsfar and would approve 100% of it's brutal polices against Non Humans.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Sometimes I play drow teiflings or half-dragons and if the DM isn't racist against me I know they are a bad DM.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 11, 2015

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

What I love about my playgroup is that if we ended up visiting that town of look how edgy we are with the racism there is a good chance we'd decide to burn the place to the ground and the DM would let us try. Brb, rolling a paladin to Sherman.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I don't think its unreasonable to be racist to teiflings. they're literally part demon, demons are congealed evil given flesh.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Motherfucker posted:

I don't think its unreasonable to be racist to teiflings

New thread title

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Sage Genesis posted:

3. Who the hell thinks that brutal racism and trade can coincide like that? You can do it these days with automated systems and global economies, but in Ye Days of Olde you need to do a lot of face to face meetings and negotiations. Plus, firsthand exposure to other cultures that goes beyond stereotypes and prejudices. Old traders were known for being more tolerant, not less.
Racism in Hillsfar means they dont like elves and dwarves etc... It can still be a huge trade center with a seaport.

quote:

In the late 14th century DR the city of Hillsfar was ruled by the iron fist of the wizard Maalthiir and there were two standing great laws.[4]

Great Law of Trade: Do not interfere with any legitimate trade.
Great Law of Humanity:Only humans are allowed within Hillsfar.

By the late 15th century DR the city was ruled by a senate of thirty-one wealthy merchants and guildmasters. However, since the senate could rarely agree on anything actual rule of the city fell to the First Lord Torin Nomerthal.

Although trade in the Moonsea was typically carried out through rivalries and competition, almost all the goods of the region passed through Hillsfar in the hands of middlemen and intermediary merchants.

Hillsfar was once under the extended rule of the Elven Court but in 1357 DR[7] Maalthiir overthrew their representatives using blackmail and fear of violence. He then declared himself the First Lord, a position with absolute military power, which he retained through the violent mercenary group known as the Red Plumes. Extending his own xenophobic tendencies, Maalthiir then banned all non-humans from the city, the few who remain are assumed to be slaves that permanently live within the city.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, then, is the adventure about overthrowing the rear end in a top hat wizard dictator and his thugs and ending their racist regime?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Gnomish supremacism is the best alignment for a paladin.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Night10194 posted:

overthrowing the rear end in a top hat wizard dictator
I think hes dead.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

New thread title

Is it morally justified to aoe your own tiefling fetus? Please advise if this will cause my paladin to fall.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've been working on a conversion of Tome of Battle for 5e. I've completed converting all of the disciplines/maneuvers available to the Warblade to 5e specifications, and I'd like to throw up the draft to suggestions and other feedback

I used to run 4e and am thinking of running a 5e game, so I'm squarely in your target market. I skimmed through the document. I know this is a conversion of a 3e book and you are probably just focused on mechanics for now, but please don't forget to include decent fluff. Right now it really makes my eyes glaze over because everything is just a series of technical terms with no explanation of what the character is actually doing. Plus no explanation of what the overall theme is for each style.

I think you've got the worst of both worlds in the way its written because you don't have the mechanical clarity of the way 4e powers were laid out, but you also haven't got any fluff to help the reader understand the mechanics.

I can't comment on the mechanics since I haven't read ToB or played 5e. But just don't underestimate the importance of making the document accessible and exciting for players.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

For way too many players, fluff is a hindrance to understanding.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

fool_of_sound posted:

It's because grogs hate Eberron for not being 'serious' enough. They like to accuse it of being like a JRPG.

Maybe 3e grogs but the majority of ye olde D&D types I know like it for the comic book/pulp feel and being somewhat reminiscent of Blackmoor.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sailor Viy posted:

I know this is a conversion of a 3e book and you are probably just focused on mechanics for now, but please don't forget to include decent fluff.

Okay yeah, this is good feedback, and thanks for expressing interest. I'll add "add the fluff and/or a short breakdown of what the Maneuver does that makes it cool" to the list

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

odinson posted:

I had some other stuff written up but gave up. Is there a nice way to ask you to not reproduce or talk to impressionable people/kids?

I suppose you're in favor of a party consisting of a human, a skinny human, a short cubic human, and short human with hairy feet? Very exciting.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mastershakeman posted:

I suppose you're in favor of a party consisting of a human, a skinny human, a short cubic human, and short human with hairy feet? Very exciting.
One or the other of us is badly misunderstanding the terms "Racial prejudice and stereotyping".

It's you.

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007
So a character I started playing last night is the only remaining son of noble family with a dark secret: one of his ancestors made a bargain with a devil for ~*spooky devil powers*~. But of course, now the family line is also prone to becoming bloody thirsty tyrants. My PC is of course heroically trying to stave off demonic possession. So mechanically, I was going to represent that with a fighter 1ish/warlock fiend-pact blade everything else. I wanted a tanky mostly melee character that could do some magic, especially in melee magical lockdown / debuffing sorts of things with a devil type flavor. I made that decision on the apparently wildly false assumption that the warlock spell list would provide some spells that would enhance the pact blade or something. What I'd like to propose to my DM is to retool my character into a home brewed paladin. I want to replace Lay on Hands, Aura of Protection, Aura of Courage, and Cleansing Touch with the Fiend's Patron abilities, and then palate swap the radiant damage from Divine Smite with fire damage. Is that a reasonable exchange? Would tossing the bonus spells from the Fiend into the Paladin spell list be too much? Is there another better way to build a heavily armed and armored melee warrior with some fiendish abilities?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Ask your DM if you can be an Oathbreaker paladin maybe?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

mastershakeman posted:

Congratulations on getting your terrible opinions into the thread title yet again.

wallawallawingwang posted:

So a character I started playing last night is the only remaining son of noble family with a dark secret: one of his ancestors made a bargain with a devil for ~*spooky devil powers*~. But of course, now the family line is also prone to becoming bloody thirsty tyrants. My PC is of course heroically trying to stave off demonic possession. So mechanically, I was going to represent that with a fighter 1ish/warlock fiend-pact blade everything else. I wanted a tanky mostly melee character that could do some magic, especially in melee magical lockdown / debuffing sorts of things with a devil type flavor. I made that decision on the apparently wildly false assumption that the warlock spell list would provide some spells that would enhance the pact blade or something. What I'd like to propose to my DM is to retool my character into a home brewed paladin. I want to replace Lay on Hands, Aura of Protection, Aura of Courage, and Cleansing Touch with the Fiend's Patron abilities, and then palate swap the radiant damage from Divine Smite with fire damage. Is that a reasonable exchange? Would tossing the bonus spells from the Fiend into the Paladin spell list be too much? Is there another better way to build a heavily armed and armored melee warrior with some fiendish abilities?

You could probably get away with swapping out the fiend patron powers and spells for what you'd get from your paladin oath, just fluff away the pact blade because you get multiattack naturally from being a paladin.

Angrymog posted:

Or this.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Angrymog posted:

The Oath that was broken being an Oath to the evil demon thing.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Splicer posted:

The Oath that was broken being an Oath to the evil demon thing.
Tainted blood/ fallen Hell Knight

However you would syntax that in 5e.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Reskin whatever the gently caress you feel like.

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012
It's probably been said before, but this would be a much better game if they just completely removed the option to not be a spellcaster. Spellcasting is such a huge, huge aspect of gameplay that it's insane that they'd make any classes that don't use it. It'd be like making a class that can't make any actions that require rolling a d20.

So why not just go ahead and own it? Put in some fluff that adventuring is so dangerous nobody but spellcasters even attempts it. Replace Fighters with Eldritch Knights and Rogues with Shadowdancers. Now that they're spellcasters, you can give them all the crazy/fun/good abilities you want and none of the grogs will bat an eye.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Grogs wouldn't stand for the fact that you're throwing out a class that's always been part of D&D, and besides, the Fighter isn't weak anymore, look at how much damage they can do with Superiority dice and Action Surge!

I agree with you though. The Eldritch Knight could well be the base class, and the archetypes represent different areas of focus: arcane tank, arcane archer, arcane slayer.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Isn't this basically what they're doing now though? I'm not math-head for 5e but I've heard the psionic warrior style thingie is exceptionally powerful at level 5, far more then the fighter is. Likewise the paladin and barbarian are just plain better then the fighter 9/10 times.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I'm not sure it is really all that powerful. Admittedly the Immortal's 3rd level ability is kind of like the Champion capstone, healing a certain amount per turn when you are below half health. But the Champion is not exactly what I would call a powerful archetype.

The Immortal could make their weapon magical, but I believe the spellcasting archetype of the fighter can do the same, and would actually be able to still cast spells if it wanted to.

The Immortal could increase its AC, but that is mutually exclusive with the magical weapon ability, requires Concentration and the base ability that requires Concentration could easily be had by being a 1st level Fighter and picking up the Defense style.

Now admittedly the Immortal could spend daily resources to skyrocket that AC, against one attack, but only to a max of 3 daily resource points, which would be +6 AC. So basically for a 2nd level spell slot equivalent, I believe, it could have a similar boost to Shield a 1st level spell that I believe the spellcasting Fighter can pick up.

Although the Immortal using this Discipline could actually spend their Hit Dice, which most people can't do short of a short rest.

The third Discipline gives them advantage on Initiative checks, if they were in that discipline before combat started. Yeah the only other way to get that I can think of off hand is a 7th level Barbarian. Pretty much the rest of the Celerity domain is based around increasing Initiative or not being Surprised. With one exception. The level 5 ability, level 5 because it requires 5 of the daily resource and you can't spend that much until 5th level, grants an extra action. By itself it is nothing. It costs a bonus action, and is slightly better than just dual wielding, except it costs 5 of the daily resource. By level 5 they have no extra attacks, maybe they will have some later that will change this, but by itself it is weaker than Extra Attack, or the Action Surge people compare it with.

Now admittedly that ability might be a bit much when paired with certain other things, like a Fighter with a bunch of Extra Attack and Action Surge. But by itself? Not much.

The only other feature that is dangerous is the spend daily points, to a max of 5, to increase the damage of an attack by 1d10 per point. Kind of comparable to a Paladin using Smite.

The class is interesting but I am not sure I would call it better than the Fighter, especially with the various Archetypes the Fighter gets. Even with how terrible, or at least dissappointing, the Fighter Archetypes are.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Keep in mind - you're comparing entire classes to something that ends at level 5.

What would levels 6-20 look for the Immortal?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorCirno posted:

Isn't this basically what they're doing now though? I'm not math-head for 5e but I've heard the psionic warrior style thingie is exceptionally powerful at level 5, far more then the fighter is. Likewise the paladin and barbarian are just plain better then the fighter 9/10 times.

I don't disagree that the Paladin and the Mystic are better than the Fighter, but WOTC has never actually come out and said that the Fighter is supposed to be replaced, please stop using it now, never mind out-and-out dumping it from the class list entirely. It's still there in the game, which means people are still going to try to use it (and woe betide anyone who tells a newbie to try the Champion).

On a somewhat unrelated note, this whole Mystic deal is making me want to dig deeper into D&D's Psionics, particularly the 3.5e ones because of 5e's relationship. They're not a stereotype I've ever really come across before in CRPGs and I want to understand them better, not to mention they're probably a more "grog acceptable" martial class than anime Martial Adepts.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're looked at askew because they've been repeatedly introduced in hilariously broken ways. Some of it is funny "rack up an insane damage number" broken, some of it is equivalent-to-wizard bullshit.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Psionics in a nutshell: "I use ____ to do ____ as the spell ____."

In other words, it's more of the same poo poo, caused by spells being the building blocks of the entire goddamn game.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

FRINGE posted:

Tainted blood/ fallen Hell Knight

However you would syntax that in 5e.

Risen Blackguard?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Demon Knight or Doom Knight would work too. Just ignore the whole "risen as undead" part.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
3.x psionics actually weren't all that broken, especially compared to the pre-existing wizards/druids/clerics. The psychic warrior is a fairly good "fighter but better," the psion is a wizard but with actual limitations. Wilder and soulknife are kinda garbage though.

That having been said...

P.d0t posted:

Psionics in a nutshell: "I use ____ to do ____ as the spell ____."

In other words, it's more of the same poo poo, caused by spells being the building blocks of the entire goddamn game.

This is still true.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

P.d0t posted:

"I use ____ to do ____ as the spell ____."

Numenera!

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007
Thanks for the tips on my risen hellknight. It'd probably be easiest to start with the oath breaker but I wanted to avoid that for campaign related idiosyncratic reasons (it will take a while for us to get to level 3), and also because I'm not that interested in the party buffing and healing that comes along with Paladins and Oath Breaker leaves in place.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
So don't heal. And claim that Bless is actually unholy demonic power beefing up you and your buddies. poo poo aint hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
What's the best way to play this online? I tried a roll20 session with LFG people but I got a some autism kid who was having difficulty saying what his character's hair color was.