Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Jedit posted:

Beans is loving impossible.

Try finding a familiar or getting the red candle from the shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is that the one with 99 bombs as well? Skip most of the rooms, and then just endure the bosses.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

IUG posted:

Is that the one with 99 bombs as well? Skip most of the rooms, and then just endure the bosses.

This. Finding 2 of Clubs cards helps.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yeah Beans! is all about ignoring the actual Beans and just butt bombing everything in your path.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

flyboi posted:

Try finding a familiar or getting the red candle from the shop.

The Red Candle can carry you thru that challenge easy. 99 Bombs is also pretty strong, especially when you don't even need a direct hit to get some benefit from them.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Curse rooms just damage you normally, it's only things that take red hearts over soul hearts that don't affect the devil door.

Everything I've ever known is a lie.

I guess I never noticed since I usually save them for after I've beaten the boss

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dias posted:

The Red Candle can carry you thru that challenge easy.

I eventually did it, with the Blue Candle and Rotten Baby. After eating a Bombs Are Key pill and never getting another, which should tell you how much use the actual items you're given to do this challenge with are.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Last thing I have to do is dark room with Maggie, donate another 300 coins and touch some items. So close to finishing but every time I try to finish Maggie I just get tired of it. I loving hate Maggie.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm making some progress in figuring out how angel rooms are spawned. It seems like the chance increases aren't additive like with the door spawn. but multiplicative. So, you have a 50% chance when the requirements are met to get an angel room. Didn't get it? You can have another shot at rolling an angel room if you've got key piece 1, with a 25% chance. Still no angel room? Try again with 25% chance if you have key piece 2. And so on.

What this comes down to is that you'll never have a 100% chance for an angel room. Makes sense, since the angel room isn't a stand-alone thing, but purely a replacement for the normal devil rooms. So you'll always have a chance for the devil room, too.

Problem is, the game checks a few variables in the process that i don't know what they're for. I'll have to go through the room and see what triggers them.
But if i'm reading what i've got so far right, then bombing coin beggars gives increase chances for a devil/angel room to show up, whereas bombing a devil beggar doesn't increase the chance to see a door, but DOES increase the chance to see an Angel over a Devil room.

That's... weird.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I've been banging my head against the Cursed challenge with Heretic Mod installed. The character they replaced Maggie with only starts with two sin hearts for health and has the Goat Head instead of Yum Heart. I keep losing steam in the depths and end up dying to doors. I'm starting to find that I actually like the mechanics of the challenge though. Having full view of the map but a limit on how many rooms you can pass through makes for a lot more planning. I kinda wish they'd find another way to implement the concept.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
What's the item with no charge meter that looks like a toaster with a chip sticking out of it do? I forgot its name and don't see it on the wiki

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Magic Fingers, hitting spacebar uses a penny to do damage to the whole room. It's good for making GBS threads all over bosses you don't want to fight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you've got money to spare Magic Fingers own. It's great for just not dealing with lovely rooms too. I actually used it for a successful Lost run alongside the dollar.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Magic fingers scales off of your damage as well, so if you've got super strong tears and a ton of money you can blast through floors with it.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Hmm I got it on floor 1 alongside 15 money courtesy of petrified poo and a 2 of diamonds. There's a steam sale in the shop here too, I'm as wealthy as a Lord

9DL1
BMCC <---(on Vita :P)

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

HenryEx posted:

I'm making some progress in figuring out how angel rooms are spawned. It seems like the chance increases aren't additive like with the door spawn. but multiplicative. So, you have a 50% chance when the requirements are met to get an angel room. Didn't get it? You can have another shot at rolling an angel room if you've got key piece 1, with a 25% chance. Still no angel room? Try again with 25% chance if you have key piece 2. And so on.

What this comes down to is that you'll never have a 100% chance for an angel room. Makes sense, since the angel room isn't a stand-alone thing, but purely a replacement for the normal devil rooms. So you'll always have a chance for the devil room, too.

Problem is, the game checks a few variables in the process that i don't know what they're for. I'll have to go through the room and see what triggers them.
But if i'm reading what i've got so far right, then bombing coin beggars gives increase chances for a devil/angel room to show up, whereas bombing a devil beggar doesn't increase the chance to see a door, but DOES increase the chance to see an Angel over a Devil room.

That's... weird.

At what point does it roll for the Angel Room? Right when the door would first open or a red chest or Joker would teleport you there?

DaMangoSentinel
Sep 10, 2010

Do I have to do it like this?
Almost there with The Lost. Had a run where everything seemed to come together. Holy Mantle, Death's Touch and a ton of damage ups, and Mom's Contact won the day for me. Got the Mind and the Soul. Just need to knock out the Boss Rush and I'm done with the Lost til Afterbirth.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I had an Eden start with Ipecac + Magic Fingers. Almost lost that run because pennies somehow became as rare as eternal hearts.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Ipecac plus magic fingers plus map donation machine equals seven minute time in an unseeded run.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

IMJack posted:

At what point does it roll for the Angel Room? Right when the door would first open or a red chest or Joker would teleport you there?
Yes. When you enter a floor, your bonus room isn't determined yet. The first time on that floor that you use a Joker card, get teleported by a red chest or beat the boss and spawn a door, the game rolls your chances for an Angel room. If you don't pass it, you get a Devil room instead.

Checked the code a bit more and the game calculates the Angel chances a bit weirdly: It tosses a coin first, and on Heads it does nothing, and only on Tails it even checks if you have the Rosary Bead - if you do, you get the Angel room, if not it checks the next thing. Same for the Key Pieces, but there it's a 25% chance that the game even checks if you have the items. I... think this comes out to a multiplicative +50% for the Bead and +25% for the key pieces, but i'm not very good at probabilities, or math in general.
I've implemented whatever the game does in my little overlay with a second chance display, which is again light blue when you're eligible and dark red when you're not.

Funnily enough, i'm still not sure on everything that boosts Angel room chances. There's two variables in particular that behave very strangely together and should basically guarantee an Angel room if they're set. But i don't know what does that. :v: If anyone uses the display and sees their Angel room chance suddenly shoot up to 95 or 100%, let me know what you did!

Here's the download link again: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dw3w5scdrbu0dl7/Devil%20Room%20chance.zip?dl=0

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Probability wise, what you want to be doing is multiplying together the chances of not getting an angel room, and that chance is (1 - overall chance of angel room). Multiplying together the chances of getting an angel room calculates the probability that they all spawn an angel room, which is obviously meaningless here because you stop checking as soon as you succeed.

So if you have the Rosary Bead (50% chance) and a Key Piece (25% chance), you have (1-0.5)*(1-0.25) = 3/8 chance of not seeing an angel room, so 5/8 chance of seeing one

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Got this recently, have beat The Lamb and just beat ??? and got Golden God. Still some way to go.

... that run was hilarious. Picked up Tiny Planet on a whim and immediately remembered why this was a terrible idea. Thought my problems were solved when I saw Mom's Knife. Hey, orbiting swarms of knives sounds great!

IT WAS NOT.

That video had it a little better than me. My knife only reached about 215 degrees behind the back with pitiful range, requiring painful amounts of timing and positioning. I HATED it. If there's a worse combination in the game I want to know in advance thanks.

... so I was relived when I came to a 1-spot dice room. Yes, reroll this poo poo please. And this is some of what I think I got...

Ludovico Technique
Lost Contact
Strange Attractor
Daddy Long Legs
Something else that made two smaller tears orbit the Ludovico one. Tiny Planet again?

So from the Womb onwards I was magnetically rolling all the enemies up into little katamaris of villainy and letting Daddy Long Legs stomp all over them. And that's how I cheesed Isacc and ???, because even if the damage wasn't great they couldn't even return fire thanks to being trapped inside Lost Contact.

I love this game.

geri_khan fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 13, 2015

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

geri_khan posted:

Got this recently, have beat The Lamb and just beat ??? and got Golden God. Still some way to go.

... that run was hilarious. Picked up Tiny Planet on a whim and immediately remembered why this was a terrible idea. Thought my problems were solved when I saw Mom's Knife. Hey, orbiting swarms of knives sounds great!

IT WAS NOT.

That video had it a little better than me. My knife only reached about 215 degrees behind the back with pitiful range, requiring painful amounts of timing and positioning. I HATED it. If there's a worse combination in the game I want to know in advance thanks.

... so I was relived when I came to a 1-spot dice room. Yes, reroll this poo poo please. And this is some of what I think I got...

Ludovico Technique
Lost Contact
Strange Attractor
Daddy Long Legs
Something else that made two smaller tears orbit the Ludovico one. Tiny Planet again?

So from the Womb onwards I was magnetically rolling all the enemies up into little katamaris of villainy and letting Daddy Long Legs stomp all over them. And that's how I cheesed Isacc and ???, because even if the damage wasn't great they couldn't even return fire thanks to being trapped inside Lost Contact.

I love this game.

I'm a big defender of garbage items, but Moms knife+Tiny planet is only kind of usable if you get loki's horns (with enough luck that it fires a lot).

actually, Moms knife breaks so many synergies that I barely ever take it nowadays.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

senae posted:

actually, Moms knife breaks so many synergies that I barely ever take it nowadays.

I only take it if my damage is enough to steamroll, but my rate of fire sucks.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Aside from The Lost unlocks, I've been stuck on completing the chest and the dark room with ??? on hard mode for the past few weeks, yesterday I finally completed the chest, gonna try to get the dark room out of the way so I can finally start banging my head against the wall with The Lost.

Can't wait!

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The problem with moms knife is the hitbox is always slightly smaller then you think it is.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Afterbirth update: a quick look at what the 3DS version looks like, including a lower-screen map you can draw dicks on.

"there will be new cards, pills, runes, bombs, hearts, chests and even a few new item types you will run into and/or unlock via one of the 10 new challenges."

And some speculation-bait presented without context.

Hidden pic:

More dodgy digging bullshit monsters. Yay.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

IMJack posted:

Afterbirth update: a quick look at what the 3DS version looks like, including a lower-screen map you can draw dicks on.

*GASP*

KITTY!

EDIT: how is the most asked question not "How do you sell a game where a naked baby hurts itself to become more powerful including selling it's soul to the devil as it travels into it's mother's womb to destroy a fetusheart and then either ascend to heaven to battle your former self or take on lucifer and the anti-christ in hell while also being constantly reminded this game is full of poop on a Nintendo console?"

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 14, 2015

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

IMJack posted:

"there will be new cards, pills, runes, bombs, hearts, chests and even a few new item types you will run into and/or unlock via one of the 10 new challenges."

You missed the best part:

"afterbirth is currently looking to be around 2 months from completion. we recently added another 40+ items so you never know what feature creeps we may run into along the way… but we can see the light at the end of the tunnel and hope we can announce a release date and start taking preorders sooner than later ;)"

That gives me hope we may get it by the end of the year after all.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Really kills variety getting bob's brain every single run.

I could stop picking it up again but then it shows up 3-5 times and I'll miss out on something like fate/cricket's head from a golden chest.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Skunkrocker posted:

*GASP*

KITTY!

Cricket is a cute kitty :3:

And her severed head gives me power

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Skunkrocker posted:

*GASP*

KITTY!

EDIT: how is the most asked question not "How do you sell a game where a naked baby hurts itself to become more powerful including selling it's soul to the devil as it travels into it's mother's womb to destroy a fetusheart and then either ascend to heaven to battle your former self or take on lucifer and the anti-christ in hell while also being constantly reminded this game is full of poop on a Nintendo console?"

You should really play Bayonetta 2

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Is there a sane way to scum for Super Bandage Girl?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jedit posted:

Infinite item use setups + monster manuel

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Jedit posted:

No. You need to know the 3 or 4 most common infinite setups you can create, then try to get them along with monster manual. I've never been able to get a truly infinite setup in the game, but I did get a sharp plug + wafer that gave me just enough tries on MM to get Super Meat Boy on the very last activation I had.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just cheat it, even with a generator setup you have to luck into a seed where a generator is possible. And speaking from experience, mashing Monster Manual non-stop will still take you somewhere between 10 and 25 minutes to get the achievement.

It wouldn't be half as bad if you were guaranteed progress on every horseman, but as it is now, the boss drop being a Bandage OR Meat Cube just makes the thing borderline impossible.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

You can only get one type drop during a given run, it's Conquest that screws things up now.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Sanctum posted:

Really kills variety getting bob's brain every single run.

I could stop picking it up again but then it shows up 3-5 times and I'll miss out on something like fate/cricket's head from a golden chest.

Bob's Brain is my biggest enemy in this game. No single thing has hurt me as much.

gently caress Bob's Brain and anyone who supports it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It does have one legit use: Blindfolded challenges.

BBF, on the other hand, can eat a dick. There's only so many times that i can handle entering a room and immediately exploding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I can't pass up BBF! How can I say no to that face? :3: