Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just started playing music, and randomly it drops the volume for maybe 10 seconds to maybe half. Is this a known software issue? I really want to not have to return this thing.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Both Prime music and YouTube.

Are you getting other notifications when the volume drops? It'll do that when you get a text or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I don't think so, but I'll test that. I haven't gotten it since I started using headphones, but I also plugged it in, so that might have to do with it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Speaking of music/headphones, I posted here a long time ago (can't even find my own post about this now) where when using Google Play Music, no matter what playback method being used (chromecast, headphones, bluetooth, etc), songs would randomly pause. One possibility at the time was a broken headphone jack causing faulty communication. But at some point, maybe 5.1.1? this was fixed! It hasn't happened to me in ages :)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dammit, it's only happening on speakers, no notifications involved. I read equalizers can gently caress up and change volume, but LG didn't include an equalizer. Unless anyone has an idea of a software issue that would cause it, I'm probably going to have to send this back. I just want a phone that is as advertised and that works, that should be asking too much.

My T-mobile status monitor also says the battery is lower than the system displays, not sure what's up there.

E: actually it stopped doing it after a few minutes, now it's staying at the right volume. I don't even know.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 10, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Alan_Shore posted:

Apparently us Zenfone 2 owners will be getting M soon. I've been very impressed with the constant updates from Asus, I wasn't hopeful for much. Phone still rocks too.

Where'd you see that? The M release date isn't for several months so I'd be surprised seeing anyone say when it'll be released. I'd be happy if they'd push 5.1 though.

Argue posted:

Is there a reason my Zenfone 2 isn't doing a lot of actions I thought Google Now was supposed to do? I was going through this list and many of these commands just caused it to do a Google web search. Most glaringly, it won't do "find x's phone number", "where's my package", or "what's my schedule tomorrow?" It also doesn't do anything under the "hidden stuff" section. I thought it might be a regional thing, as I live in the Philippines, but it explicitly tells me when that's the case (for example, if I ask it to identify a song, it'll display a message telling me it isn't supported here).

I just checked find [wife's] phone number and "what's my schedule tomorrow" on my ZF2 and both worked fine. I'm in the USA FWIW.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Is there a recommended alternative to the default SMS app for a Nexus 5? Simple things like copying the number of the person I'm texting seem to not be possible and its bugging me.

If this should rather go in the app thread then I apologize.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Count Roland posted:

Is there a recommended alternative to the default SMS app for a Nexus 5? Simple things like copying the number of the person I'm texting seem to not be possible and its bugging me.

If this should rather go in the app thread then I apologize.

What is the default on the N5? The goon favorite for SMS apps tends to be Textra. I use Google Messenger although I prefer to use an IP based messenger. When Hangouts finally updates I'll probably switch back to it until I get tired of it again.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just started playing music, and randomly it drops the volume for maybe 10 seconds to maybe half. Is this a known software issue? I really want to not have to return this thing.
Notification coming in? My phone does when listening to music over bluetooth while driving.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

What is the default on the N5? The goon favorite for SMS apps tends to be Textra. I use Google Messenger although I prefer to use an IP based messenger. When Hangouts finally updates I'll probably switch back to it until I get tired of it again.

Hangouts. I've been having trouble updating Android for some reason so its pre-5.0.1.

I'll check out Textra, thanks.

e: I might as well mention that here too actually. I can download the 5.0.1 update, but when I go to install it begins, then promptly says "Error" with an image of a dead droid with a red ! triangle above his corpse. I restart the phone, and after a while it will prompt me to download the update again. I'm in no hurry to update, but it is worrying behavior.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 11, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Notification coming in? My phone does when listening to music over bluetooth while driving.

I think it was the WiFi calling notification, combined with me setting the bottom of the phone on my stomach occasionally. Didn't realize the speaker was on the bottom right there.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
If we're talking messengers I would have to recommend yaata.

I used to have the messenger bubbles disabled and can't figure out how to do it anymore but I did figure out that double tapping them dismisses the notification.

Thus reducing four button presses to two.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Count Roland posted:

I might as well mention that here too actually. I can download the 5.0.1 update, but when I go to install it begins, then promptly says "Error" with an image of a dead droid with a red ! triangle above his corpse. I restart the phone, and after a while it will prompt me to download the update again. I'm in no hurry to update, but it is worrying behavior.

What device?

Given what you're describing it sounds like the stock (Nexus?) recovery but if you're seeing an error like that it's usually because you've modified /system in some way. Have you? Even switching it to r/w and back is enough to prevent OTAs from working.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hi, I'm a total clueless newbie, so apologies if this isn't the right place to ask, but I have a tablet running android 4.4, and a roku enabled TV. I tried to cast screen to the roku TV, and it worked. Once. Then never again. When I select cast screen in the settings, it picks up the wireless display from the TV, but when I select it, it quickly flashes 'connecting' before saying 'unavailable'. Wireless display is enabled on the tablet, and screen mirroring is enabled on the TV. In fact, casting video through Firefox works fine, but I can't cast the screen in general.

I downloaded the roku app that allows me to cast pictures and music, which works, but it doesn't have an option for video, even though it supposedly should. I guess my two questions are:

1. How do I make cast screen work again?
2 . Failing that, how do I make the roku app give me an option to cast video, like it says it should?

Thanks, and if this is the wrong place or are dumb questions apologies in advance!

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
My Nexus 5 recently started completely losing sound when playing any sort of media at random intervals. While using Spotify, Netflix, YouTube, a Snapchat video, a Facebook video...really anything, the sound will completely cut out after a few seconds to half a minute of playback.

Any ideas?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

jisforjosh posted:

My Nexus 5 recently started completely losing sound when playing any sort of media at random intervals. While using Spotify, Netflix, YouTube, a Snapchat video, a Facebook video...really anything, the sound will completely cut out after a few seconds to half a minute of playback.

Any ideas?

Blow out the headphone jack? Other than that it could really only be dying hardware. Maybe open it up and make sure whatever board the speaker is on has a good connection to the motherboard.

On an unrelated note, an older friend finally got the 5.1 update on his AT&T 2013 Moto X but the Chromebox he owns continues to say that the XT1058 is on KitKat and refuses to use trusted connection. How lame is that?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

LastInLine posted:

What device?

Given what you're describing it sounds like the stock (Nexus?) recovery but if you're seeing an error like that it's usually because you've modified /system in some way. Have you? Even switching it to r/w and back is enough to prevent OTAs from working.

Nexus 5. I have not modified the system. I've downloaded a couple apps, Firefox and Tindr. I've had the phone a month or so and have used it only very lightly. I believe I was able to install a previous update, one that downloaded after I turned on the phone for the first time.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Crosspost from the VZW thread: Since VZW is now whitelisting unlocked N6's, is there any reason to pay a premium for the VZW edition over an unlocked edition?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JayKay posted:

Crosspost from the VZW thread: Since VZW is now whitelisting unlocked N6's, is there any reason to pay a premium for the VZW edition over an unlocked edition?

No. Buy the cheap one.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
Perhaps we have crossed a bridge here, guys, but I’m willing to bet the suppression of the ergonomic keyboard has everything to do with the fact mobile computing is in beta stage, and a unified input medium is impossible since screens are not yet universal in spec or dimension. 

the keyboard is a representation of the qwerty typewriter design that has won two world wars and is used to draft correspondences by the top businesses, macros were invented on the damn things. n e way, there is just something refined about a stationary and tactile method of input that refuses to be emulated. imagine the design of a shitter being constantly updated -- everyone who uses it makes the same input errors after all, and many people are known to place calls on the same porcelain throne.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Battery life on M2 is pretty loving terrible FYI. Not at all surprising but just in case anyone was wondering.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's neat that the Awful app doesnt handle ignored posts like the full site does (e.g. "This jerk is on ignore") but it completely removed the post entry from the page like they never even posted.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Battery life on M2 is pretty loving terrible FYI. Not at all surprising but just in case anyone was wondering.

perhaps help could be offered by a larger auxilliary battery attached to a bulkier dc device also carried everywhere by consumers wary of assault for their bad opinions, effectively or proverbially killing two birds with one stone and/or incapacitating a potential assailant with two electrode projectiles.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

FAUXTON posted:

It's neat that the Awful app doesnt handle ignored posts like the full site does (e.g. "This jerk is on ignore") but it completely removed the post entry from the page like they never even posted.

I'm actually in the process of fixing that bug but I will leave an option to keep this behavior.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

Any ideas?

The ribbon that leads from the speaker to the motherboard probably has a bad connection. Try pressing your finger on the back of the phone about an inch below the camera lens when the sound isn't working and see if it cuts back in. I was able to fix the sound by taking the phone apart and putting a couple layers of card stock on top of the ribbon connector to maintain pressure on it. This had the side effect of breaking my vibration, though.

Really the nexus 5 is shoddily put together I suspect purposely designed to wear out.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

radiatinglines posted:

I suspect purposely designed to wear out.
This is some conspiracy-theory nonsense and you'll see people say it about everything. If it was designed to wear out they wouldn't sell it with a year warranty. It was designed to a price point.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

I love it!

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Sereri posted:

I'm actually in the process of fixing that bug but I will leave an option to keep this behavior.

Thanks for that!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sereri posted:

Thanks for leaving it in as an option.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Count Roland posted:

Nexus 5. I have not modified the system. I've downloaded a couple apps, Firefox and Tindr. I've had the phone a month or so and have used it only very lightly. I believe I was able to install a previous update, one that downloaded after I turned on the phone for the first time.

Well that's not good. Unless you have an unlocked bootloader I can't think of a way to fix this that won't erase everything.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
My nexus 5 is totally hosed. What do I buy in the US$200-300 price range (either new off-contract or good quality used on swappa) with a <=5" screen, good build quality, and the ability to run either AOSP or at least CM?

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 12, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fruit Chewy posted:

My nexus 5 is totally hosed. What do I buy in the US$200-300 price range (either new off-contract or good quality used on swappa) with a <=5" screen, good build quality, and the ability to run either AOSP or at least CM?

Nexus 5? :D Moto X 2013 also. If you can stretch a little, a Sony Z3 Compact goes for something like ~$320-350.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Fruit Chewy posted:

I have an Xperia Z2 and it's brilliant, seeing as it's not the Sony flagship anymore you should be able to get it relatively cheaply like I did.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Z1 compact goes for $250, as well. 4.3" screen as opposed to the 4.7" on the Moto X 2013. Assuming you're not on a CDMA carrier.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

butt dickus posted:

This is some conspiracy-theory nonsense and you'll see people say it about everything. If it was designed to wear out they wouldn't sell it with a year warranty. It was designed to a price point.

My Nexus 5 is easily one of the best out together pieces of electronics I've ever owned. Great, great phone.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
My moto G power button broke around one year ago, and ever since then I never turned it off, but eventually it happened that my battery drained before I could charge it. Any way to boot it from abd, or something?

Also, been reading a lot of positive feedback about the xiaomi mi4i, any reason to not consider it over a MotoX?

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Honest Thief posted:

My moto G power button broke around one year ago, and ever since then I never turned it off, but eventually it happened that my battery drained before I could charge it. Any way to boot it from abd, or something?

Also, been reading a lot of positive feedback about the xiaomi mi4i, any reason to not consider it over a MotoX?

If you don't want MIUI that particular phone doesn't have a good aosp/cm port if I remember correctly.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is there a skip forward 30 seconds/back 10 seconds setting in the Play Music app? I'm listening to a series of podcasts that I purchased in .mp3 form and am using that for playback. The episodes are like 6 hours long with no individual tracks and it's really annoying to try and go back 30 seconds if I miss something because clicking directly on the progress bar, at minimum goes back like 10 minutes because the tracks are so long.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

xcore posted:

Is there a skip forward 30 seconds/back 10 seconds setting in the Play Music app? I'm listening to a series of podcasts that I purchased in .mp3 form and am using that for playback. The episodes are like 6 hours long with no individual tracks and it's really annoying to try and go back 30 seconds if I miss something because clicking directly on the progress bar, at minimum goes back like 10 minutes because the tracks are so long.

Any podcast app will allow you to add your own podcasts to it. Do that instead.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

CancerStick posted:

Just find the highest reviewed, cheaper tempered glass screen protector you can find on amazon
I've tried a couple including the first one for the N6 that was available, and I would say spending the extra $10-15 to get a Mime one is worth it. The cheaper ones will end up with hairline scratches and have polarization issues, whereas the Mime ones were crystal clear and only scratched when I accidentally set my phone face-down on a boron cube (this is a problem normal people have, ribght?)

JayKay posted:

Unlocked as in the one you get from Google Play/Motorola?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
what's the best droid turbo tempered glass screen protector? i ordered one on amazon before and it didn't fit and i had that verizon flexible glass one for a bit but it got scratched up pretty bad.