Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

fatherdog posted:

That was Monson vs Pe De Pano, and the best part of that was that they'd already agreed to split the prize money afterwards so there was absolutely nothing on the line. PDP did it for pure love of poor sportsmanship.

Haha oh my god I never heard this part before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Anyone know if there's a way to watch the Roger vs. Comprido match that's going down at UFC Fan Expo today?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Wow I didn't even know that was happening

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Seltzer posted:

Here's the video. Skip around cause it's long. "sub" happens at about 4 minutes.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1426h_jeff-monson-vs-pe-de-pano-cruz_sport

Holy poo poo that's even better than I expected :laugh:

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

fatherdog posted:

That was Monson vs Pe De Pano, and the best part of that was that they'd already agreed to split the prize money afterwards so there was absolutely nothing on the line. PDP did it for pure love of poor sportsmanship.

Hahaha Hahaha I did not know this.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Dangersim posted:

Wow I didn't even know that was happening

They didn't do a stream for it, but they put it on Youtube promptly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDw_pDXq4dc

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Cool sweep starting at 4:00 or so. It looks simple but I don't know if I've seen that one before.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Sprecherscrow posted:

Except for the first 90 seconds of the fight where Roger easily took him down, passed his guard, took his back, and then gassed because cutting to 185 was not a good idea for him.

well yes but the subsequent 810 was of the greatest gi grappler of all time losing pathetically to an idiot

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

fatherdog posted:

this is so great

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Sometimes I think pe de pano deserves the win for being smart enough and paying enough attention to detail to tap like that.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Convenient for this discussion, today's UFC Fan Expo superfight featured Pe de Pano against Xande Ribeiro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0AFKmKOhMs

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Sprecherscrow posted:

Convenient for this discussion, today's UFC Fan Expo superfight featured Pe de Pano against Xande Ribeiro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0AFKmKOhMs

Just a heads up not to watch this video if anyone was considering it, as it sucked rear end

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

manyak posted:

Just a heads up not to watch this video if anyone was considering it, as it sucked rear end

I must admit I hadn't actually watched it, just posted it since it seemed appropriate. Given the video length I assume it went the distance and so I find this very easy to believe.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

manyak posted:

Watched the video with the mindset that I'd watch it and say "It's not that bad." Sadly, it was that bad...

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

quote:

Former UFC lightweight champion Ben Henderson will compete at the upcoming Abu Dhabi Combat Club tournament in Brazil.

Coming off a fourth-round submission win over Brandon Thatch in a 170-pound bout in February, "Smooth" has accepted an invitation to compete at the ADCC 2015, which takes place on Aug. 29 and 30 in Sao Paulo, Brazil, sources close to the situation confirmed to MMAFighting.

A jiu-jitsu black belt under John Crouch, Henderson competed several times in IBJJF grappling tournaments, and will enter ADCC’s 77kg (170 pounds) category.

Henderson won’t be the only MMA star entering the mat to compete at ADCC 2015. UFC welterweight Hector Lombard and Invicta FC champion Cris Cyborg are also slated to compete in Sao Paulo, and ADCC officials expect more MMA athletes to enter the tournament.

ADCC 2015 will also feature a pair of superfights, with ADCC 2013 absolute champion Roberto "Cyborg" Abreu taking on Andre Galvao, and ATT head coach Ricardo Liborio meets PRIDE veteran Ze Mario Sperry.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
cyborg v galvao should be fun

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I've been wondering about the ratio of strength and conditioning with grappling/wrestling for people who compete seriously. I'm a hobbyist so I do what I want for fun, but with a competitor, where's the line for it? I get that being stronger and better conditioned is good, but wrestling and grappling itself is physically very tough, so why isn't that itself necessarily enough, especially if you do it a lot? It's skill based sport so why wouldn't you spend most of your time with the sport itself, if a dude spends the time wrestling where as other dude spends his time lifting or running, wouldn't you be better of of? American wrestlers are famous for doing a whole lot of strength and conditioning stuff, where as russian wrestlers just seem to wrestle.

So how this works? I've been doing judo for 8 years and we have done all kinds of stuff in the practice, a lot of drills, basic gymnastics and stuff but recently joined a bjj club where they just grapple and wrestle besides doing technique. You warm up rolling, do tecnique, roll the rest of the class. Again, just a hobbyist, but how competitors do it?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
The high level competitors that I know weight train around 3x per week but don't supplement with much extra cardio on top of training and rolling.

" It's skill based sport so why wouldn't you spend most of your time with the sport itself, if a dude spends the time wrestling where as other dude spends his time lifting or running, wouldn't you be better of of?"
Not really at least at the level you're talking about. These guys all are in situations that allow them to train enough to where one isn't taking away from the other, and more time on the mats might even be counter-productive from an injury/recovery standpoint. And given the level of expertise at jiu jitsu the incremental benefit of another hour refining technique etc is going to be less than using that time to become stronger with vice like grips.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Put this on the A/T thread too, but wanna post it here too because it's great: The Great Eurasian Wrestling Tournament, a whole bunch of matches with shuai jiao rules. Cool stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUkdSPNAflM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq4B3Gujyf8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-NgbEppCNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKQEpZo8sUY

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
In summer college wrestling news, the six Western Wrestling Conference schools are folding into the Big XII as affiliate members for wrestling. I'm "meh" about this as a fan of a Big XII school. I really wish the rumors about joining the Big XII with the ACC for wrestling would have come to pass. That conference would have owned. But at least this restores the Big XII's qualifying status and gives extra depth for the conference tournament.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

david carmichael posted:

well yes but the subsequent 810 was of the greatest gi grappler of all time losing pathetically to an idiot

Seriously, whoever was advising Roger to drop lower than 205 for MMA was an idiot. He has the skills and reach to be fine at 205. Even if not the most massive, imposing figure in the 205 category, he's taller than most.

ManOfTheYear posted:

I've been wondering about the ratio of strength and conditioning with grappling/wrestling for people who compete seriously. I'm a hobbyist so I do what I want for fun, but with a competitor, where's the line for it? I get that being stronger and better conditioned is good, but wrestling and grappling itself is physically very tough, so why isn't that itself necessarily enough, especially if you do it a lot? It's skill based sport so why wouldn't you spend most of your time with the sport itself, if a dude spends the time wrestling where as other dude spends his time lifting or running, wouldn't you be better of of? American wrestlers are famous for doing a whole lot of strength and conditioning stuff, where as russian wrestlers just seem to wrestle.

So how this works? I've been doing judo for 8 years and we have done all kinds of stuff in the practice, a lot of drills, basic gymnastics and stuff but recently joined a bjj club where they just grapple and wrestle besides doing technique. You warm up rolling, do tecnique, roll the rest of the class. Again, just a hobbyist, but how competitors do it?

The really serious guys I've trained with all do extra-curricular workouts for strength and conditioning.

There's a fair amount of overlap with guys training for MMA at my gym, and they all do weights multiple times a week, specifically Kettlebells, or sometimes Olympic lifting.

A few of them also run, or play football (soccer) for cardio, but really a diverse set of kettlebells will do that too.

It helps a lot, BJJ is a skill based sport until it's not - strength and speed decide things when you're evenly matched. If you have better cardio, you can keep fighting for grips at full speed for the whole round and get the winning takedown. If you can swing a couple of kettlebells around for 100 reps, you'll have the power to force subs or escapes when you need to, even if your opponent is doing the right things to counter you.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
Worth listening to. Dan Gable talks about how training smarter, not harder, could have prolonged his coaching career and led to even more success.

Not many people have ever worked harder on the mat than Gable, so you don't get much more authenticity when it comes to advocating an intelligent approach to training.

http://www.mattalkonline.com/podcas...1987-iowa-team/

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I started bjj this week, is it a faux pas to train in just spats with no cup? Nobody else seems to wear a cup, but should i just for ball safety anyway?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

canada jezus posted:

I started bjj this week, is it a faux pas to train in just spats with no cup? Nobody else seems to wear a cup, but should i just for ball safety anyway?

I would if I were you

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

canada jezus posted:

Whichever you prefer. I think of cups as plate armor for my balls and used to use one all the time, now I ditched the cup and just layer up with spats/underwear/shorts to provide leather armor for my balls.

You should wear shorts over your spats imo though, I consider not doing so unfashionable.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Anyone else going to watch the FIVE Grappling PPV today?

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I'd wear one if I wasn't aiming to compete (they're banned) but take it easy while taking the back for example. It's perfectly alright to mash the thing into your opponent's spine in submission wrestling but not so okay in BJJ practice.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Opal posted:

they're banned

This isn't a universal rule, some competitions actually require them. Its definitely not something I'd let guide my decision as a beginner in any event.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Uh, what BJJ competitions are those?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Awesome breakdown of the Palhares dickishness by Joe Lauzon here: https://www.facebook.com/joelauzon/videos/10153477783403570/

Opal posted:

The last one I competed in, off the top of my head: http://www.cagc.us/rules/rules.html

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Opal posted:

Cups are banned in Judo (along with all other hard plastic or metal) but I've never heard of them being banned in jits.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Thoguh posted:

Cups are banned in Judo (along with all other hard plastic or metal) but I've never heard of them being banned in jits.

they're banned in most comps because they make armbars wicked easy to hurt someone with. For instance, they are banned in IBJJF comps, and most regional comps ban them to stay in line with the IBJJF.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

They're banned by IBJJF: http://ibjjf.org/rules/

quote:

Use of any foot gear, head gear, hair pins, jewelry, cups (genital
protectors), or any other protector fashioned of hard material that
may cause harm to an opponent or the athlete him/herself is forbidden.
Also forbidden is the use of eyes protectors, even if they are
made for sports practices.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Paul harris is a poo poo

Opal
May 10, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Conversely I've never been to a jujitsu competition that allowed them, but some small ones that for one reason or another don't follow IBJJF rules apparently do. I imagine they may be submission wrestling tournaments first and BJJ second.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Protect your dick

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

2DCAT posted:

they're banned in most comps because they make armbars wicked easy to hurt someone with.

This is "leglocks are too dangerous"-level nonsense.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 4, 2015

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Opal posted:

North American Grappling Association No-Gi rules document posted:

At a minimum, a groin protector (male competitors), mouthpiece, and shorts with a drawstring must be worn.

NAGA Gi Rules posted:

Groin protectors are permitted (and encouraged) for male
competitors

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I like to wear a cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
ADCC, NAGA, Grappler's Quest, The Good Fight, catch wrestling, sport & combat sambo, and MMA all allow cups, and somehow people doing those aren't getting constantly maimed by armbars. Strange, that.