Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Ok, last one. The weed angel has clearly reached the next plane of existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

A Cartoon.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

LGD posted:

:spergin: If you're a total nooblord :spergin:

:goonsay: Monopoly isn't a high score game or a game about successful investment. It's not about making your money back, you don't have theoretical infinite money opponents that you're trying to profit on, it's about forcing each other player into bankruptcy. It doesn't matter how much insane ROI you got on your Oriental 3rd house, it's only $270 so they're making almost all of it back just by passing go. If they landed on it every time they circled the board they're only out $70 each time, which means if they avoid it just once they're insulated for nearly three full board rotations. Meanwhile if they tag you once with a Boardwalk hotel you'll have to have pulled off like eight hits on your monopoly just to survive. If you spent $5000 to knock someone out of the game with a $2000 rent that's a favourable move.

Monopoly is about how exploitative unregulated monopolies are, not some kind of rags-to-riches property investment simulator. If you're not playing like a moustache twirling robber baron, taking tips from Walmart and selling items at a loss to kill competition who can't afford to, you're not playing to win. :colbert:

Sorry duck, they can just analyse the meta-meaning behind you explaining the meaning of the text :ssh: "In 500 words or less, explain what the author is trying to say by explicitly stating the meaning of the symbolism in the book, making reference to anti-education themes in the story"

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Monopoly is about how exploitative unregulated monopolies are, not some kind of rags-to-riches property investment simulator. If you're not playing like a moustache twirling robber baron, taking tips from Walmart and selling items at a loss to kill competition who can't afford to, you're not playing to win. :colbert:

That's apparently the original intention of the 'prototype' version of the game: that monopolies (or landlords) are greedy bastards.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The cat on a hot tin roof symbolizes Mapai. Also, actual cats on actual roofs, that Mapam apparently liked to burn down.

Early Israeli election posters etc.

You can really see the social realism / worker-peasant romance at work.

YOU did it. Not the party, not some leader, YOU. (Built this land, that is) (Sorry if you were confused)

Don't led would-be security experts run the state. Elect OUR the peoples security experts instead.

Elect us, and we'll sweep away all the trieif.

Workers, peasants, soldiers.

We're building the road to the future!
They're building the road to... a bourgeois future! Good god.

"Unity and brotherhood" Mapai style.

Did you ladies know that you really juuuuuuuust as important as men? Please vote for the party that genuinely respects your adorable female needs.

"The 'Arms deal (with Germany?) ' horse ran out of steam! Bring me the 'race card' horse!"

Buy War bonds for peace!

Young men there's no need to feel down dedicate your lives to the security of Israel.

Fun times as the Gadna

Earlier poster for the Hebrew Legion.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Let's see what Marty's been up to.

You don't see that very often: two individuals labelled the same thing.

That rodent looks Martian.

Peltier could totally beat up Pollard any day of the week.

A toolbox labelled "TOOLS" (but also "U of H" so it's okay).

This was posted on July 4th, obviously.

That 10% slice also gets the worst cuts.

What animal is James Chatters? Pig-dog hybrid?

And here's a Two Bulls Tclassic:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Buy War bonds for peace!

quote:

Is this supposed to be some recognisable figure?

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

World Famous Whore posted:

Haha, that goddamn LeJackal. Haha, so annoying always harping on about guns. Hahaha.... wait, someone mentioned guns, I should bring up LeJackal! Every time! In no way is it just as loving obnoxious as him posting! Hahahaha!

I support gun control by the way but good god is that a meme I want to die in D&D.

This kind of thing is just adding to the shitmountain.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

What animal is James Chatters? Pig-dog hybrid?

Maybe he's a Lovecraft-style Ghoul.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

This comic guestwritten by Tinsley's 13 year old son

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Hitler B. Natural posted:

This kind of thing is just adding to the shitmountain.
I know and I agree I should shut up about it. I will just ask the thread to forgive me. Should not have posted having just woke up and all.

Sorry again.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
ENGISH PROFESSORS

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Leaving aside the aforementioned underlying theme of the novel, flags don't burn at 451 degF.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

... a The Nameless One sackboy? What?

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Kopijeger posted:

Like Liberty and Justice in the US, Weed Selling Mom is an important symbol to the Israeli people.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Murderion posted:

Like Liberty and Justice in the US, Weed Selling Mom is an important symbol to the Israeli people.

You must be thinking of North Korea.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Small Frozen Thing posted:

... a The Nameless One sackboy? What?

That is what it is but I don't know why it's in this thread.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I get that Marty's pissed about white people like Elizabeth Warren claiming Native ancestry, but that's just bullshit. It's easy to say that only federally recognized tribes matter if you're one of them, but it's disingenuous to all the state recognized tribes and tribes that got dicked over in the federal recognition process by the BIA. Federal recognition and Native identity are two different things.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Somfin posted:

Also how the gently caress would a novel with a bunch of symbolism make English professors obsolete? Unless his novel is literally just the Cliffs Notes to itself, in which case, that novel already exists, it's called House of Leaves, and it's loving brilliant. And it inspired enough PHDs to create a whole new generation of English professors.
I seriously need to actually read that book. I get the feeling that regardless of his neoconfederate sympathies I'd be able to hold a conversation with Guy On The Right

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Not sure this Bennett is in the best of taste

Kopijeger posted:

Her label appears to read "Bat-Tzion" which translates roughly to "Daughter of Israel/Jerusalem/The Promised Land", so as far as I can tell she's just a generic run-of-the-mill nationalist symbol

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

loquacius posted:

Her label appears to read "Bat-Tzion" which translates roughly to "Daughter of Israel/Jerusalem/The Promised Land", so as far as I can tell she's just a generic run-of-the-mill nationalist symbol
She's obviously chaos-spawn of Nurgle. Exercise due diligence, citizen.

Shugojin posted:

That is what it is but I don't know why it's in this thread.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Xander77 posted:

The cat on a hot tin roof symbolizes Mapai. Also, actual cats on actual roofs, that Mapam apparently liked to burn down.

Early Israeli election posters etc.

Somewhere in Brazil, a cartoonist gets an odd feeling....

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Jedit posted:

Leaving aside the aforementioned underlying theme of the novel, flags don't burn at 451 degF.

Do you think jet fuel can melt them, though?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

loquacius posted:

Not sure this Bennett is in the best of taste

Didn't Bagley or someone do a similar kinda lovely cartoon like this? Like I understand what point he's trying to make but it still comes off as gross

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
There's a comic about to buddy cops called Jump Start, I went looking for responses to the riots or the murders committed by police. I don't follow the comic, my results didn't turn up anything directly referencing that, but I would need to look through the entire archive from that time period, pfft, gently caress that. I did find some interesting ones about race identity, gender identity, and politics:

And this one from Baldo:

And this antique one, wow: :confederateflagcry:

Holy god, the Dad Jokes are so adorable I can't hate this despite the racism and the author being so dense. Bonus to this one is that I read, "Plant this Ramadan bomb," I thought he was taking a poo poo because of the way he's squatted down.

#6: Devoured by GAYS, just lol. You hit the jackpot, do you have a gallery link, KimotaBoom?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
This political cartoonist runs in the Washington Blade.

HEY GUYS!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I like Two-Bulls, but there's sometimes some problems:

Jay Rust posted:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Post 9-11 User posted:

And this one from Baldo:

Am I missing something here? "Police are looking for a Hispanic suspect" makes it seem like "the suspect's native language is probably Spanish". The intent of the strip is apparently to demonstrate that being culturally Hispanic says nothing about what your physical appearance might be like, which would have made sense if the radio said something like "suspect described as Hispanic-looking".

Edit: corrected spelling.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 12, 2015

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Kopijeger posted:

Am I missing something here? "Police are looking for a Hispanic subject" makes it seem like "the suspect's native language is probably Spanish". The intent of the strip is apparently to demonstrate that being culturally Hispanic says nothing about what your physical appearance might be like, which would have made sense if the radio said something like "suspect described as Hispanic-looking".

It says suspect.

Either way, :thejoke:

wearing a lampshade fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 12, 2015

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Slammy posted:

AHOY-HOY GUYS!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Post 9-11 User posted:

And this antique one, wow: :confederateflagcry:

Hey, don't you loving talk bad about Wee Pals.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Another Lang

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I swear this is the most Lang's put out in years. Was there ever any explanation for his hiatus?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Kopijeger posted:

Am I missing something here? "Police are looking for a Hispanic suspect" makes it seem like "the suspect's native language is probably Spanish". The intent of the strip is apparently to demonstrate that being culturally Hispanic says nothing about what your physical appearance might be like, which would have made sense if the radio said something like "suspect described as Hispanic-looking".

Edit: corrected spelling.

You're missing that Hispanic is misused as a racial category enough that the artist doesn't really need to belabor the point. Hispanic means having to do with Spain/Spanish; a Hispanic person is someone who speaks Spanish, or someone who is from a Spanish-speaking country or is descended from people who came from a Spanish-speaking country. That's a ridiculously broad net for a police bulletin, unless the word is actually being misused as a synonym for Latino/Latin American.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Man, comics like this remind me of how embarrassingly white our regular rotation of cartoonists is. We've got Two Bulls sometimes, Ramirez I guess. Do we have any other non-white cartoonists?

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Xanderkish posted:

Man, comics like this remind me of how embarrassingly white our regular rotation of cartoonists is. We've got Two Bulls sometimes, Ramirez I guess. Do we have any other non-white cartoonists?

Darrin Bell gets posted regularly and, incidentally, is also a newspaper comic writer.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

there wolf posted:

You're missing that Hispanic is misused as a racial category enough that the artist doesn't really need to belabor the point. Hispanic means having to do with Spain/Spanish; a Hispanic person is someone who speaks Spanish, or someone who is from a Spanish-speaking country or is descended from people who came from a Spanish-speaking country. That's a ridiculously broad net for a police bulletin, unless the word is actually being misused as a synonym for Latino/Latin American.
Latino/Latin American isn't that much smaller a grouping though. You've still got about as much variety in "race" within that category as you do in American society as a whole.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Xanderkish posted:

Bendib gets posted once in a while -- he's the guy with the little bird in the corner.

Keith Knight is posted here now and then as well, but he only draws a couple of cartoons a month (plus a daily strip) and they're not always political.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Xanderkish posted:

Latuff :v:

• Locked thread