Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Jabor posted:

You say that as though "oh you need to cast your burn on your own turn" is a crippling downside on something that makes you draw twice as many cards as your opponent.

Honestly, just proxy up a deck and try it out. I could explain why card advantage is good until I'm blue in the face but just trying it in a deck and seeing how potent it is for yourself is going to be much more effective.

I don't think anyone is trying to say that card advantage is bad. The point is that there are other ways in red to generate card advantage that don't come with some of the drawbacks that the dragon presents. They don't attack for 4 a turn, but that probably isn't why you want the dragon. If you just want to attack for 4 there are better ways to do that than this dragon (the aforementioned thunderbreak being one), and if you want card advantage there are less vulnerable ways to get it that don't also offer your opponent the chance to mind rot you with a removal spell. I feel like in this format, with the spell mastery creature bolt, a 3 toughness dude that empties your hand probably isn't the best play and if you are holding him back he isn't attacking or generating card advantage. I don't play standard so I might be very wrong here.

I played in a 2HG event earlier, went 3-1 after my partner flooded out really hard round 3 (10 lands, 5 spells, 3 of which were in his starting hand). Otherwise we had some really solid cards, he played G/R monsters with a serra spider, 2 rhox, the 6/5 mythic dude, the 4/5 red hellion, Dwynen, the zendikar thing, and like 3 leaf gilders. He also had a pair of the renown trolls, a pharika's disciple, and three akroan hoplites. It was pretty nutty. He had a chandra's ignition which did some amazing work, up to being a 5 mana duneblast that leaves us a huge beater and domes the opponent for 12. I played a somewhat less exciting but really solid W/U deck with a suppression bonds, 3 claustrophobia, mizzium meddler, two vryn wingmares to make math hard on the other guys, two sentinels, and a bunch of assorted fliers. I had two topan freeblade but the only time I drew them they got shocked or claustrophobia'd almost immediately. Basically I ran interference and tempo long enough for my partner to land a huge monster and go on the beat down, and once it got removed he played the next one. Oh and each of us ran a hangarback walker, that dude is legit. I'm excited to see how draft works in this format, it should be fun.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Olothreutes posted:

I don't think anyone is trying to say that card advantage is bad. The point is that there are other ways in red to generate card advantage that don't come with some of the drawbacks that the dragon presents. They don't attack for 4 a turn, but that probably isn't why you want the dragon. If you just want to attack for 4 there are better ways to do that than this dragon (the aforementioned thunderbreak being one), and if you want card advantage there are less vulnerable ways to get it.

You play it because it both gives you card advantage and attacks for 4 in the air. The same reason Dark Confidant is a really good card, while Phyrexian Arena is middle-of-the-road.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jabor posted:

You play it because it both gives you card advantage and attacks for 4 in the air. The same reason Dark Confidant is a really good card, while Phyrexian Arena is middle-of-the-road.

Well, Bob only costs 2 mana. That's more important than the body, honestly. A more apt comparison would Eidolon of the Great Revel vs Pyrostatic Pillar.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

AceClown posted:

I went 3-1 at pre-release in a store I'd never been to before! Hangarback Walker is loving awesome as a 2 drop that just keeps getting bigger and bigger if it doesn't get answered.

I went GR with a green box, got the foil elf dude and pulled very little other elves so he had to be sidelined. The one drop goblin with renown is a great turn one play and LSV is very very wrong about this card

The ability to get a removal spell back is really powerful in a set that's somewhat light on removal. It did a lot of work for me and doesn't deserve a 0.0 rating

Sealed is always a little lower powered in draft and getting a spell back rather than just running 2 good spells is something a lot more common in sealed i'd wager.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I like how FTV:Angels is shaping up to be FTV:Terese Nielsen.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Entropic posted:

I like how FTV:Angels is shaping up to be FTV:Terese Nielsen.

That would get me hyped up about a FTV more than a creature-type theme.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Honestly just pick 10 good cards that need reprints and have Nielsen art them all however she wants. FTV: Guay is my dream mtg product.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Network42 posted:

Honestly just pick 10 good cards that need reprints and have Nielsen art them all however she wants. FTV: Guay is my dream mtg product.

You misspelled Nielsen and Foglio in the last sentence.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Picked white.

Promo was relic hunter. :(
But I opened sword of the animist! :)

And a Jace! :D

My deck basically revolved around willbreaker and 4 reliable activators: Jace, 2 Sentinels, and an Akroan Jailer.

Round one game 1 I met the flip condition on a gideon! (It was not my gideon - my opponent died in the attack, I realize he'd have gotten gideon back when it flipped).
Round one game 2 we locked until I milled him out with Jace. :suicide:

The only round I dropped was to the eventual winner who ran me over with 1-2-3 gideon pretty much both games before I could stabilize.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
People not reading Hixus, Prison Warden was my favorite part of the prerelease. They'd take damage, then end of turn flash in Hixus and expect it to do something.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Having to throw some burn spells early is a drawback, but it's one I am prepared to pay for an outpost siege attached to an undercosted flier (ie both of the things I am looking for in a 4 drop). It is bad in multiples but that means you can just run one.

e: I'd point out that both outpost siege and thunderbreak were derided as unplayable when they were spoiled

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 12, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think my favorite thing about pre-releases going forward is that it looks like you're gonna get 6 actual sealed packs plus a seeded booster.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

People not reading Hixus, Prison Warden was my favorite part of the prerelease. They'd take damage, then end of turn flash in Hixus and expect it to do something.

Haha, yeah, new people playing magic :rolleyes:

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

BJPaskoff posted:

I always flashed him in once attackers were declared so that I could use him to eat something as well as using the exile effect, but given his text why wouldn't his effect take place if you flashed him at the nd of turn. You took damage on the turn that he entered the battlefield yeah? Edit: am dumb "when a creature..." yep. Have to have him down before the damage is dealt.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

GreyPowerVan posted:

Haha, yeah, new people playing magic :rolleyes:

Well I should explain, because my post sounded condescending - it wasn't new people, it was experienced players who even read the card out loud to me in an effort to explain why they were right and I was wrong. It's not an easy card to grok.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The move I did that put a guy on tilt was attacking with both a Fetid Imp (1/2, Flying) and a Renowned Rhox Maulers (6/6 Trample) while he was at 10 life.

He double blocks the Rhox Maulers with a Vastwood Gorger (5/6) and 2/2 Elf. I then cast Touch of Moonglove on the Rhox Maulers (Target creature you control gets +1/+0 and gains deathtouch until end of turn. Whenever a creature dealt damage by that creature dies this turn, its controller loses 2 life.)

It took like 10 minutes to sort out what happened through his friend explaining it to him and judge calls. Dude was not happy.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

The move I did that put a guy on tilt was attacking with both a Fetid Imp (1/2, Flying) and a Renowned Rhox Maulers (6/6 Trample) while he was at 10 life.

He double blocks the Rhox Maulers with a Vastwood Gorger (5/6) and 2/2 Elf. I then cast Touch of Moonglove on the Rhox Maulers (Target creature you control gets +1/+0 and gains deathtouch until end of turn. Whenever a creature dealt damage by that creature dies this turn, its controller loses 2 life.)

It took like 10 minutes to sort out what happened through his friend explaining it to him and judge calls. Dude was not happy.

Why is the Trample Deathtouch interaction so loving hard for people to get?

All you really need to do is just assume your creatures have 1 toughness, and calculate trample accordingly. That's it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It doesn't feel very consistent with how trample works with eg Indestructable.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

Why is the Trample Deathtouch interaction so loving hard for people to get?

All you really need to do is just assume your creatures have 1 toughness, and calculate trample accordingly. That's it.

I think the worst part was that "you die" wasn't even something that came up until he had already flipped out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Angry Grimace posted:

This filth needs NWS tags, mods????

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Touch of Moonglove is so disgusting as a pump spell that I might run it in a that mono black warriors deck that gets mentioned every now and again.

Shame black doesn't get much in the trample department.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Touch of moonglove seems... really bad.

Unrelated, but something I ran into during prerelease was spell mastery as a tell. People would keep looking at their graveyards to confirm they had two spells. There's really not that many cards with spell mastery, and nine times out of ten you can instantly guess what they have in their hand by looking at their untapped mana.

I think I won a game by not pumping a creature that was attacking into that regen-all spell because the guy shuffled through his graveyard first.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 12, 2015

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Count Bleck posted:

Touch of Moonglove is so disgusting as a pump spell that I might run it in a that mono black warriors deck that gets mentioned every now and again.

Shame black doesn't get much in the trample department.

If you're going to run poo poo-tier black combat tricks at least run Coat with Venom, which is 1000x better than touch is.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Touch of Moonglove is really bad but it has magical Christmas situations where you kill a load of guys and your opponent loses lots of life. Most of the time you're 2-for-1ing yourself though

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Touch of Moonglove is really bad but it has magical Christmas situations where you kill a load of guys and your opponent loses lots of life. Most of the time you're 2-for-1ing yourself though

It worked just fine in G/B Elves at the prerelease. I didn't have a lot of options though since I had a ton of elves but very little removal.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Edit: NVM

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

qbert posted:

How does one run Coat with Venom at an Origins prerelease?

I don't think mono-black warriors is a viable option in Origins

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Came second in my second prerelease today, went black and got a promo languish which was nice. Ended up going b/w enchantments. Worked really well and was undefeated until the last round when I ran into a guy with nissa who I really struggled against as he just played her so she'd flip as soon as she came in which made stopping her really difficult with the anaemic removal available. Was still great fun though and by and large I like origins so far.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Network42 posted:

This is awesome.

But we need Duel Deck: Guay vs Nielson.

Two awesome decks with new art form them for all cards. PAY THE LADIES WIZARDS!!!!

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
How good is Sakrhan Unbroken? Him and Nissa are basically the same planeswalker, so I am curious if the three color requirement or the fact that in a pinch he can't function as a civic wayfinder is a problem?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Gensuki posted:

How good is Sakrhan Unbroken? Him and Nissa are basically the same planeswalker, so I am curious if the three color requirement or the fact that in a pinch he can't function as a civic wayfinder is a problem?

nissa works well as a 3 mana 2/2 which searches you a land, that's it-- but the fact late game it can turn into a tide-turning PW makes it also a great late game topdeck. Sarkhan is always 5 mana and a very strict colour combination.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nissa is worse since the token is legendary and doesn't fly. I'm also not convinced by the Civic Wayfinder comparison considering the fact that she cannot fix your mana.

I really can't see Nissa being played in superstandard, she's very obviously worse than Courser and there is essentially no land-based ramp in the format at all so she's flipping well after you've played your Dragonlord Atarka and Hornet Queen (ie too late to really matter). Maybe she'll have a place when Courser rotates, especially if people are using Cultivate-style effects.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I was really excited for Origins when it was first announced. As hokey as the story is, its still magical wizards blasting fire/summoning monsters to attack each other and that delights to me to no end at times. I'm glad to have a little more back story to some of the characters. But I didn't go to the prerelease yesterday. My brother passed away two months ago, and I find it really hard to enjoy playing with people who aren't really good friends. I went to my first FNM since he passed this last Friday and had a miserable time. It's something sour and indelible about being around Magic people lately that gives me anxiety. I really hate it.

So I go to the store today and realized I didn't want to play in the 2HG prerelease with the girlfriend; same thing as Friday. I looked at the room of people playing the game and just got unhappy. I bought four prerelease colors to have a one on one 'prerelease' with the girlfriend later on, but I know it won't really be the same. Here's to trying to get back into the swing of things. :unsmith:
I was apprehensive to post this up, mainly because this thread has a habit of being really hostile. Not towards me in particular, since I don't post that often here. If you know someone has had a loss in their life, reach out to them and let them know you care. It can make a real difference in someones day as they sit alone wishing they could again enjoy the game they love. :smith:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

My vote for for the card I think will secretly make a big impact in Superstandard is Rogue's Passage.

I've been testing it in Mono-G Devotion, and it's kind of insane. Before, you'd resolve a giant Genesis Hydra just for the valuetown of getting that 2nd permanent, then be resigned to your Hydra getting chump blocked for the rest of the game. Or even more likely, they keep an untapped Deathmist on defense, and you don't want to make a bad trade. Now, your huge Hydra or Polukranos (or a certain 6/6 Renown 6) or other big dumb thing you throw in the deck just wins the game the next turn.

Also opposing Elspeths becomes a lot worse when she can't defend herself.

qbert fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 12, 2015

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is awesome.

But we need Duel Deck: Guay vs Nielson.

Two awesome decks with new art form them for all cards. PAY THE LADIES WIZARDS!!!!

:swoon: Please make this happen Wizard.

Losing close loved one is really rough, hopefully your life will get back to normal after awhile. Just take your time to get back the regular swing of things but don't let grief take away from the happy things in life. Good luck with your sealed games and draws!

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Nissa is worse since the token is legendary and doesn't fly. I'm also not convinced by the Civic Wayfinder comparison considering the fact that she cannot fix your mana.

I really can't see Nissa being played in superstandard, she's very obviously worse than Courser and there is essentially no land-based ramp in the format at all so she's flipping well after you've played your Dragonlord Atarka and Hornet Queen (ie too late to really matter). Maybe she'll have a place when Courser rotates, especially if people are using Cultivate-style effects.

You might not need fixing in a deck that uses Nissa though. Mono green has a lot of flat good stuff.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/123886938093/when-the-panel-was-discussing-allies-do-they#notes

I guess I will hold out on buying zen fetches then.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Network42 posted:

While I am behind FTV: Nielsen, is the world ready for a foil Force of Will? :getin:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Four Score posted:

While I am behind FTV: Nielsen, is the world ready for a foil Force of Will? :getin:

One already exists, it's nearly $900.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Hearthstone has drafting, right? How do they get around in between rounds dead time?

• Locked thread