Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
drat these solar pillar enemies are some tough bitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is the Dart Pistol/Dart Rifle better than the Megashark? Also which is better between the Pistol and Rifle?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I haven't played Terraria since it was released and have just got into it again after this new patch. I was wondering if the Meteroite armour and lazer gun combo remains completely ridiculous throughout the game? It has made all the bosses I have discovered so far completely trivial and seems to have broken any sense of progression I was following before. I went from copper armour and a bow and arrow to this stupidly OP suit and gun which fires lazer bolts with no cost. The eater of souls, skeletron and bee just collapsed to this combo. Though this is as far as I think i got before and I don't know how to get to the next boss.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
"Thoughout the game" is like 3x as long since you played, and you will get completely destroyed with that tier of equipment later.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It will carry you through to early Hard Mode but you're going to want to replace it quickly. If you're playing expert mode, you're probably not going to get as much mileage out of it as you did before.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Geomancing posted:

I've realized something about gathering paintings. In the old world generation parameters, underground houses were all kinds of funky shaped, but they were solid. The new ones are nice and rectangular, but they're heavily damaged, so there usually isn't a section of background wall large enough for paintings to spawn, as they just pop off if a tile of wall is missing. In my entire world, I've only found one painting in an underground cabin. You used to see them fairly regularly.

Yeah, this definitely is true.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

:shepicide: This is going to take forever to fill.

My kingdom for an infinite Honey Bucket. I just wanted to make a good sized arena to abuse my Cute Fishron!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

mitochondritom posted:

I haven't played Terraria since it was released and have just got into it again after this new patch. I was wondering if the Meteroite armour and lazer gun combo remains completely ridiculous throughout the game? It has made all the bosses I have discovered so far completely trivial and seems to have broken any sense of progression I was following before. I went from copper armour and a bow and arrow to this stupidly OP suit and gun which fires lazer bolts with no cost. The eater of souls, skeletron and bee just collapsed to this combo. Though this is as far as I think i got before and I don't know how to get to the next boss.

Pre-hardmode is basically the tutorial now. :v:

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
I might be in the minority, but Expert Mode has completely revitalized the game for me more than any of the other 1.3 changes. I used to fire it up once or twice a year, build a tenement house and zoom to hardmode in a few days, but then I'd quickly get bored with tediously gathering stuff just to fight bosses that were only marginally difficult. I also was way more prone to cheating in items when I got sick of farming for them, which made me grow bored even faster.

After 1.3, I've been playing a new character and Expert world for over a week and only just managed to beat Skeletron after 10+ attempts with various equipment strategies. The winning "strategy" was when I got stuck between his head and the ceiling on my slime mount, which finished him off after the arms died. So far I'd say his fight is the only expert boss fight that needs to be toned down a little, mostly because of those loving unblockable flying skulls.

I'm having way more fun exploring now that I need to actually be careful about things, and everything I find or make seems all the more fulfilling without cheating it in or farming one-hit kill enemies for hours. The improved drop rates for expert mode definitely help that, but it's mostly the added challenge that seals it for me. At this rate I honestly don't see myself ever making a normal world again unless I want to specifically take it easy sometime.

Then again, this could all change when I enter hardmode and come crying back to this thread about getting killed by the air.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Krittick posted:

I might be in the minority, but Expert Mode has completely revitalized the game for me more than any of the other 1.3 changes. I used to fire it up once or twice a year, build a tenement house and zoom to hardmode in a few days, but then I'd quickly get bored with tediously gathering stuff just to fight bosses that were only marginally difficult. I also was way more prone to cheating in items when I got sick of farming for them, which made me grow bored even faster.

After 1.3, I've been playing a new character and Expert world for over a week and only just managed to beat Skeletron after 10+ attempts with various equipment strategies. The winning "strategy" was when I got stuck between his head and the ceiling on my slime mount, which finished him off after the arms died. So far I'd say his fight is the only expert boss fight that needs to be toned down a little, mostly because of those loving unblockable flying skulls.

I'm having way more fun exploring now that I need to actually be careful about things, and everything I find or make seems all the more fulfilling without cheating it in or farming one-hit kill enemies for hours. The improved drop rates for expert mode definitely help that, but it's mostly the added challenge that seals it for me. At this rate I honestly don't see myself ever making a normal world again unless I want to specifically take it easy sometime.

Then again, this could all change when I enter hardmode and come crying back to this thread about getting killed by the air.

No I think the hardmode bosses are actually easier than Skeletron. It could be that more variety in what you can use opens up as soon as hardmode starts, but it could also be that I got a really good yoyo almost immediately.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone have an extra Bottomless Water Bucket they'd trade for my extra Super Absorbant Sponge? I also have an extra Zephyr Fish and extra Slime mounts.

Also I found my new favourite weapon: Fetid Baghnakhs. Out of the 9 Crimson Mimics I killed 6 dropped Tendon Hooks though.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

wow the possessed hatchet is insane. good damage, homes in, extremely quick, long range, can throw a ton repeatedly

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Waffleopolis posted:

I need help with Skeletron on expert. So far I have a full Molten armor set rocketing, Deadly Molten Fury, and Deadly Space Gun. I also make a minecart track that goes back and forth to help keep my distance (though I do run into him occasionally). The main problem I am having is the projectile skull she shoots out after one or both armors have been destroyed.Finally, I'm at 200 health and I use a series of buffs and set up campfire around the tracks to increase my life regen. The problem I have with him is the projectile skulls he spews out after one of both hands are destroyed. I can't dodge them or block them off like imp's fireballs, and I get hit enough to where my rate of regen and consumption of health potions are not enough. Any pointers on killing him?

You'll need:
- Lightning boots to run fast and rocket;
- A double-jump balloon with a horseshoe to negate fall damage;
- Good range options. Bee gun is great because it tracks the head, no matter where you aim. Keep a bow handy while your mana is recharging.
- Lots of potions. You can get slightly better healing 'potions' too by fishing in honey: The fish you find in there heal 120hp instead of 100.
- You'll need your arena to have two to three platform jump heights so that you can jump down a couple of floors. You'll mostly be using the top floor of your arena but you'll need to be able to drop under him during the armless phase.

What you want to do once the arms are destroyed is circle skeletron's head constantly. The shots don't track very well and the head is slowed down when it has to turn. Make the correct circle and the head will barely move until it starts spinning. Once that happens, just run in a straight line and pelt some shots behind you. If you're good at it, you can get thru the second half of the fight without even taking a hit.

Basically, it's the 2d equivalent of circle-strafing. Get your Doom skills back in check, son!

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 12, 2015

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
The Cthulhu shield was more or less perfectly designed for the Skeletron fight. If you remember to use it, the skulls will almost never hit you.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Here's the town I've been working on:

I find the copper tile background looks like a nice wallpaper. My bar/inn is looking very cozy. :kimchi:

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I was able to beat it due to making a mine cart track that has two tracks: The lowest ones has two bumpers to go back and forth and the above has no stoppers so that I can fall off safely to the bottom one while having enough time to jump onto it. Also I used more potions than I was using beforehand like endurance and wrath. Also switched from arrows to using a Deadly Mini Shark with meteor shots.

Now to ransack the dungeon and build my main base before hardcore expert :ohdear:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Supremezero posted:

:shepicide: This is going to take forever to fill.

My kingdom for an infinite Honey Bucket. I just wanted to make a good sized arena to abuse my Cute Fishron!

You can make a gizmo that infinitely dupes any liquid with a pair of pumps.

Liquids slightly increase in volume whenever they go off a ledge, so if you build a big staircase with an outlet pump at the top and an inlet at the bottom, it'll slowly duplicate itself. Hook that up to a 1 second timer and it'll fill automatically while you go do other stuff in the world.

Oh yeah, and outlet pumps stop working when they're completely immersed. So you can just put the pump at the level you want your honey to reach and it'll automatically stop there.

Here's a picture of my magical self-refilling liquid tanks, although it's possible to make them a lot bigger and prettier:

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Has anyone seen one of these things: http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Giant_Shelly ? I'm farming banners and it's one of the only things I haven't seen at all. I've run around the underground a ton. Is it exclusive to non-expert?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I see them regularly in the cavern layer while I'm looking around for a lava charm (:arghfist:). Pretty sure I have banner already. This is non-expert mode, but to my knowledge there are no enemies *removed* in expert mode.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

DoubleCakes posted:

Here's the town I've been working on:

I find the copper tile background looks like a nice wallpaper. My bar/inn is looking very cozy. :kimchi:

What's that you have on the roof of the center structure?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

It's a chimney, they're new. You make them with grey brick, and you can also make fireplaces but those require torches.

Akett fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 12, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Akett posted:

It's a chimney, they're new. You make them with grey brick, and you can also make fireplaces but those require torches.

what? I thought those were just skillfully hammered cloud blocks! :aaa:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Mylan posted:

Has anyone seen one of these things: http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Giant_Shelly ? I'm farming banners and it's one of the only things I haven't seen at all. I've run around the underground a ton. Is it exclusive to non-expert?

They occur a lot on my expert mode world.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Dear NPCs,
I have heard your concerns that I am some sort of "monster" who "lured" you here just to put you in a "cell" however I must inform you that the true monsters lay outside these doors, you must understand that I am doing what I must to protect you. Now I am not without fault I admit the great lava pump disaster that killed the previous tenants was indeed my mistake, but I myself braved the depths of hell to obtain lava proof doors to protect you in the future, dare not to open them as you might meet the same fate as they did.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mylan posted:

I've literally never seen one of these and spent a ton of time underground with battle potions on trying to get a nymph to spawn. Weird.

Anyways, I finally dug down into hell. My little brother managed to do this within his first 10 minutes of exploring;

He panic teleported away and instagibbed himself. I wasn't there so no problem for now, but he's gonna wanna kill it eventually so now I guess I should start prepping for hard mode. I've never done it before. Is there anything you should absolutely do before starting hardmode? For prep I was gonna dig a line between crimson altars to smash them and also set up a jungle house for the witch doctor so I can buy wings right at the start. Other than that I know basically nothing.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

socialsecurity posted:

Dear NPCs,
I have heard your concerns that I am some sort of "monster" who "lured" you here just to put you in a "cell" however I must inform you that the true monsters lay outside these doors, you must understand that I am doing what I must to protect you. Now I am not without fault I admit the great lava pump disaster that killed the previous tenants was indeed my mistake, but I myself braved the depths of hell to obtain lava proof doors to protect you in the future, dare not to open them as you might meet the same fate as they did.

:stare:

*gets stuff to potentially mount a rescue*

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

So, after some rough spots the minion playstyle is really starting to shine now. Took on the mech bosses with my spider friends (and a yoyo, because hot drat the yoyo bag is too good), then made an optic staff and and eyeballed Plantera to death until it gave me a pygmy staff. Now I have half a dozen tiny spear-chuckers following me around and everything is wonderful. :allears:

Internet Kraken posted:

I've literally never seen one of these and spent a ton of time underground with battle potions on trying to get a nymph to spawn. Weird.

Anyways, I finally dug down into hell. My little brother managed to do this within his first 10 minutes of exploring;

He panic teleported away and instagibbed himself. I wasn't there so no problem for now, but he's gonna wanna kill it eventually so now I guess I should start prepping for hard mode. I've never done it before. Is there anything you should absolutely do before starting hardmode? For prep I was gonna dig a line between crimson altars to smash them and also set up a jungle house for the witch doctor so I can buy wings right at the start. Other than that I know basically nothing.

Consider setting up a greenhouse. Alchemy is much more likely to be a difference-maker in hardmode, IMO. Something I like to do but really isn't necessary is migrate all my NPCs into a floating fortress so that they don't get harassed by mobs all the time. I've had occasional problems with wraiths otherwise. Other than that, you've got the essentials down. Being able to smash altars quickly is important so you can minimize the time you spend getting pummeled in your suddenly lovely pre-hardmode armor.

e: also, that screenshot is adorable and playing with your little brother sounds awesome

edit again: totally forgot - if you're using a yoyo, hunt down the skeleton merchant as soon as you can survive the hardmode caves well enough. The yoyo glove (and by extension, the yoyo bag) is super good.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 12, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Build a bigger arena, and build it far away from your base. The hardmode bosses move around a lot and they have tons of attacks that clip through walls. If you're anywhere near your base at all, everyone will get murdered.

Aside from that, pretty much just try to max out your HP and use up-to-date weapons and armor. Tungsten Bows and Minisharks aren't gonna cut it anymore.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

socialsecurity posted:

Dear NPCs,

Is that snow coating your base? Is snow keeping out the lava?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Internet Kraken posted:

As long as you know where the demon altars are you really don't need to worry about pre-cutting holes between them. My pre-hardmode checklist is:

1) Molten Pickaxe (required to mine early hardmode ores)
2) Eat enough crystal hearts / mana stars to have 400/200 health/mana
3) Have a couple spare houses available so you can hire the wizard and tax collector as soon as you see them
4) Reasonably beefy weapons - stuff from shadow chests in hell are good. Bee's Knees' bow is good. Minishark is good as long as you have some silver bullets or meteor shot. Space gun is too weak.
5) Reasonably beefy armor - Molten Armor has the best defense pre-hardmode. Shadow or Crimson armor is a good second best. Necro is tolerable. Jungle and Meteor have too low defense for my tastes, but if you have good forge bonuses on your accessories, you can probably roll in with those.
6) Decent mobility. Ivy whip for sure. Spectre boots (or lightning boots) for sure, lucky cloud in a balloon is nice but not absolutely critical if you have the specter boots. Obsidian Shield for sure. Last accessories to taste, I prefer band of regeneration.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

DoubleCakes posted:

Is that snow coating your base? Is snow keeping out the lava?

Pearlsand.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Akett posted:

Not that, I meant that orange-brown tile you have as the roof to the right of it.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

President Ark posted:

Not that, I meant that orange-brown tile you have as the roof to the right of it.

I'm pretty sure that's palm wood, from trees on the beach.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Walrus Pete posted:

I'm pretty sure that's palm wood, from trees on the beach.

Yes, it is palm wood.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

For new players playing solo and thinking about expert don't I ignored the warnings, it was fine until hardmode but the bosses are kill you 2-3 hits variety which while a neat challenge is much harder then I assumed it was going to be.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Thanks for the tips guys. We're both pretty close to set as far as gear goes so we could probably do it now if we weren't both getting constantly sidetracked by building dumb stuff.

The White Dragon posted:

Build a bigger arena, and build it far away from your base. The hardmode bosses move around a lot and they have tons of attacks that clip through walls. If you're anywhere near your base at all, everyone will get murdered.

Aside from that, pretty much just try to max out your HP and use up-to-date weapons and armor. Tungsten Bows and Minisharks aren't gonna cut it anymore.

Can you fight them underground if you use peace candles to limit monster spawns? I have a defunct monster spawner down there that I was trying to use to farm nymphs/undead miners, and it would be nice to repurpose that so I can pretend I didn't waste a ton of time building it only for the nymph to spawn right when it was done in a completely different location. I thought I could use it to farm the mining set but undead miners seem absurdly goddamn rare and also never drop the pieces so the odds of that seem terrible.

EDIT: Also do you want to smash every single altar you can or is there a point where the diminishing returns aren't worth the hassle of spawning more crimson/hallow?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Internet Kraken posted:

Thanks for the tips guys. We're both pretty close to set as far as gear goes so we could probably do it now if we weren't both getting constantly sidetracked by building dumb stuff.

Can you fight them underground if you use peace candles to limit monster spawns? I have a defunct monster spawner down there that I was trying to use to farm nymphs/undead miners, and it would be nice to repurpose that so I can pretend I didn't waste a ton of time building it only for the nymph to spawn right when it was done in a completely different location. I thought I could use it to farm the mining set but undead miners seem absurdly goddamn rare and also never drop the pieces so the odds of that seem terrible.

EDIT: Also do you want to smash every single altar you can or is there a point where the diminishing returns aren't worth the hassle of spawning more crimson/hallow?

It would probably make Destroyer a hundred times worse than it should be, but you don't really want a normal arena for Destroyer anyway. Better with a smallish box.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
Thank to my Legendary Fetid Baghnakhs I was able to kill the Destroyer for the first time ever. Now I just need to survive more than half a second against the one Twin's firebreath.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah I had to build a skybridge for that. A minecart track works too but it's kinda janky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

For new players playing solo and thinking about expert don't I ignored the warnings, it was fine until hardmode but the bosses are kill you 2-3 hits variety which while a neat challenge is much harder then I assumed it was going to be.

Having not played Expert, my Expert advice is to not play it until you've done most of the normal mode and then run through expert like a maniac shrugging off the crazy buffed boss attacks with your Beetle armor, grenade launcher, and sick yoyo tricks.

Buuuuut I'm a guy who's against nerfing late game items like the Spectre set, Vampire Knives and Red's yoyo. It's endgame, why make things less good? If it really bugs you so much you don't have to use em.