Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I just got Jin for ninja so now I have the great pleasure of keeping haste up all the time. Should I be using suiton and lightning for the two recasts I get before I need to put haste up again? Or use the doton aoe instead of lightning?

Don't use the AOE on anything less than 3 targets that are going to stay in the same spot. When I'm tanking I try to keep mobs in teh AOE when I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Minrad posted:

literally just learning how to dps on them. doing 900 dps while providing a 5% damage bonus for physical or magical, 5% damage reduction for either, the usual tp/mp restore, and having a silence or a stun on a ranged class is pretty good, plus they have top tier aoe. That, and people found out BRD is worse and you want at least one in a group, so

How much worse is bard, I'm hitting like 850 on it?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, the OSX version is not only just a wine-wrapped version of the regular client, but a very poorly wine-wrapped version. It's beyond garbage.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
That feeling when someone in a4 can't kill the add in the upper room.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Farking Bastage posted:

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, the OSX version is not only just a wine-wrapped version of the regular client, but a very poorly wine-wrapped version. It's beyond garbage.

They put a whole long post about it up on the Lodestone a little while back.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Farking Bastage posted:

I figured it was something like that when the system specs require far more than the windows version. I cant even run the client in OSX on my imac but have been playing on win7 for years.

:lol: so bad they're offering everyone full refunds.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
How dare they

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

ActionZero posted:

Speaking of DRK I just completed the level 50 quest. God drat that whole story was fantastic, I went in expecting Greatsword Batman and instead I got to experience my character having a psychotic break.

Take note of where that 50 quest took place. The people helping you literally pull yourself together absolutely hated you when you first arrived. I also thought my dark side looked legitimately sad when I rejected it. All she wanted to do was help.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Too bad the 50-60 DRK quests are really boring except for the 58 one where it just swerves into a completely unexpected direction.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The level 60 quest is pretty alright.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like in the 52 AST quest when the lady's dad's death is revealed and the guy trainer is like "truly the dagger can wound us, but perhaps the gravity of such a moment is even stronger. If only we could harness this gravity to hurt our foes..." and then you learn Gravity

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I just got Jin for ninja so now I have the great pleasure of keeping haste up all the time. Should I be using suiton and lightning for the two recasts I get before I need to put haste up again? Or use the doton aoe instead of lightning?

Keep using lightning. Not only is it faster, being only 2 mudras, and thus easier to get within one GCD, but it does more damage. Save AOEs for when there are more than 3 enemies, and only use doton when you're sure they'll survive the whole duration of it, otherwise just use katon.

When you get kassatsu at 50, make sure you use it with doton for AOEs. It makes it crit for every single tick of the DOT.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Blockhouse posted:

why would you need to watch a video for ifrit extreme of all things

yes there are fights with complicated mechanics that work better presented visually but they're not ifrit extreme
As a tank I watch a video for every new encounter before I queue up. Even if a lot of poo poo is self explanatory I don't like walking in blind and potentially causing a wipe, plus it only takes like 4 minutes of my time. I figure 4 minutes watching a video is time saved versus recovering from a wipe.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Peakay posted:

Is there a dragoon rotation for level 50? I'm using Heavy thrust->chaos thrust combo->Phlebotomize-> Full Thrust combo with jumps and other buffs where I can fit them but I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do.

This isn't quite right for 50. You want to do two full thrusts for every chaos thrust, so it's something like:

heavy->chaos->phleb->full->heavy->full->phleb->chaos->etc

At level 56, when you get your first combo extender, you'll go to alternating chaos thrust and full thrust.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

How the heck does this game expect me to make Collectible armor as weaver for scrips? I only have the level 55 armor + some high level 50 right pieces on my level 60 weaver. I feel like i should just buy the level 60 HQ pieces from the MB

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fat_Cow posted:

How the heck does this game expect me to make Collectible armor as weaver for scrips? I only have the level 55 armor + some high level 50 right pieces on my level 60 weaver. I feel like i should just buy the level 60 HQ pieces from the MB

Make level 55 hq leftside if you haven't already. If you don't intend on leveling all crafts, just do the level 56 collectibles for scrips. If you are, get scrips on gsm or cul when their cheap options pop up.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

cheetah7071 posted:

Make level 55 hq leftside if you haven't already. If you don't intend on leveling all crafts, just do the level 56 collectibles for scrips. If you are, get scrips on gsm or cul when their cheap options pop up.

Alright thanks that'll work.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah..I just spent a lot of time getting a bunch of scrips on WVR and uh..yeah I'd recommend using GSM or CUL to get them. So many expensive mats..

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cheetah7071 posted:

This isn't quite right for 50. You want to do two full thrusts for every chaos thrust, so it's something like:

heavy->chaos->phleb->full->heavy->full->phleb->chaos->etc

At level 56, when you get your first combo extender, you'll go to alternating chaos thrust and full thrust.

Even with the combo finisher you don't want to just alternate full thrust and chaos thrust combos. You'll be clipping a good 2-3 ticks off your dot that way. If chaos thrust has 10 or more seconds on it when you're starting a combo, you're better off going full thrust and then CT your next combo. I still typically get two full thrusts per chaos thrust because phlebotomize and heavy thrust don't just sit in between each combo.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah..I just spent a lot of time getting a bunch of scrips on WVR and uh..yeah I'd recommend using GSM or CUL to get them. So many expensive mats..

Seconding this, at least for CUL. I spent the last day grinding out Marron Glace for turn-ins and I went from having one masterwork book to all of them and a full set of Adept's for glamour. I can't even use any of them yet.

It was really cheap too.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Seconding this, at least for CUL. I spent the last day grinding out Marron Glace for turn-ins and I went from having one masterwork book to all of them and a full set of Adept's for glamour. I can't even use any of them yet.

It was really cheap too.

Absolutely this. Dark Chestnuts are readily gathered, Birch Sap costs very little and is not hard to gather, and Cooking Sherry they're practically giving away on the MB.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

Even with the combo finisher you don't want to just alternate full thrust and chaos thrust combos. You'll be clipping a good 2-3 ticks off your dot that way. If chaos thrust has 10 or more seconds on it when you're starting a combo, you're better off going full thrust and then CT your next combo. I still typically get two full thrusts per chaos thrust because phlebotomize and heavy thrust don't just sit in between each combo.

You're the only source I've seen claiming that clipping chaos thrust is worse than letting it fall off. Do you have a source showing your math?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Minrad posted:

Gauss Barrel looks dopey on some guns, but otherwise, it's fun and cool. The playstyle shift is interesting with GB, but since procs and rapid fire still let you move to your heart's content with instant casts, and you can toggle it off with no cast time, it works really well.

The relationship between it and Bard is weird, like Bard offers consistent MP/TP regen whereas MCH can alternate between really crappy and THE BEST EVER MP/TP regen in bursts. Foe's is pretty good mdmg boost, but MCH can offer phys or mdmg in smaller quantities without hurting their own DPS output (or even boosting it with bishop hypercharge)

They're both sort of all about their opener, but MCH is a lot more about holding onto cooldowns for that jackpot Wildfire where everything is sort of detonating at once

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Rei_ posted:

The relationship between it and Bard is weird, like Bard offers consistent MP/TP regen whereas MCH can alternate between really crappy and THE BEST EVER MP/TP regen in bursts. Foe's is pretty good mdmg boost, but MCH can offer phys or mdmg in smaller quantities without hurting their own DPS output (or even boosting it with bishop hypercharge)

How does foes hurt Bards damage output except for a 3s cast time?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Rei_ posted:

They're both sort of all about their opener, but MCH is a lot more about holding onto cooldowns for that jackpot Wildfire where everything is sort of detonating at once

In practical terms, I really like how MCH's mana regen works - because Hypercharge is only a 2 minute cooldown, it allows you to focus on burst regen rather than sustained regen, and you can get most of it off during a transition.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
If I get Sastasha one more time in LLDR...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cheetah7071 posted:

You're the only source I've seen claiming that clipping chaos thrust is worse than letting it fall off. Do you have a source showing your math?

I haven't sat down and done any math just talking about what I do while playing. I'm able to keep my buffs up without clipping my dots which just seems like the best thing to do.

Edit: during 2.x it was common depending on your skill speed to clip both chaos thrust and phlebotomize before their last tick. Straight up alternating seems like you'd be losing 2-3 or more ticks which seems to be a significant loss.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 13, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

I haven't sat down and done any math just talking about what I do while playing. I'm able to keep my buffs up without clipping my dots which just seems like the best thing to do.

What's your skill speed? At my skill speed I have the option of letting chaos thrust fall off for ~3-5 seconds, or clipping it by 3-5 seconds.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Begemot posted:

Keep using lightning. Not only is it faster, being only 2 mudras, and thus easier to get within one GCD, but it does more damage. Save AOEs for when there are more than 3 enemies, and only use doton when you're sure they'll survive the whole duration of it, otherwise just use katon.

When you get kassatsu at 50, make sure you use it with doton for AOEs. It makes it crit for every single tick of the DOT.

Oh poo poo, I didn't think of doton for the crits, that's good poo poo.

Thanks for the feedback! That's what I figured.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cheetah7071 posted:

What's your skill speed? At my skill speed I have the option of letting chaos thrust fall off for ~3-5 seconds, or clipping it by 3-5 seconds.

I'm not at home but I'll take a look next time I get online and compare. I do have CT fall off usually before I get it back on, but not usually more than one GCD.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Begemot posted:

Whhhaaaaaaaat

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Begemot posted:

Wait are we ignoring trick/sneak attack here?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Stormgale posted:

Wait are we ignoring trick/sneak attack here?

Oh God no, always use suiton when those are off cooldown, I was just answering the part about doton vs raiton.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, I hit the final story level roadblock, so I guess it is safe to look at this thread again. I really enjoyed the main scenario, even if the pacing can be kind of weird. A lot like the ARR main scenario, really.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Does anyone have that post made a while back that detailed levelling from 30-50, including very specific leves to do?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Eight-Six posted:

Does anyone have that post made a while back that detailed levelling from 30-50, including very specific leves to do?

People have figured out that there are some leves that you can repeat from 20-50 that beat out dungeons for exp/hr if you have the allowances. We're talking a level every 20 minutes at level 20 and slowly moving toward about 40 minutes per level by the time you hit 50. edit: As people have asked, here are my preferred leves:
20-25: Do quarrymill leves. If a FATE spawns near you, run in and hit 6 mobs or collect/turn in 6 items, then go back to leves and let other people finish off the FATE. You'll still get max credit, but each leve gives MORE experience than a FATE does and you can finish off like 3-4 leves in the same time it takes to finish a single FATE.

25-35: Adamantoise tears South Shroud. Just pick up the leve, put the difficulty to maximum and run around in a circle picking up the eggs. Ignore all adamantoise that spawn. They move and attack slowly, so even if one is hitting you, you can just spam click on the next egg and you'll get it. You can complete this leve in under 2 minutes from start-turn in. If it isn't there, Black Market Down will be. pick that up and just complete it quickly at the lowest difficulty. Adamantoise tears will be back when you turn it in.

35-40: Cower to the People in Coerthas at the observatorium. Same thing as Adamantoise tears, max difficulty, pick up the 7 piles of dirt, turn back in... ignore all mobs. If it isn't there, do Have a Nice Trip or Now We're Even and 8 times out of 10 it comes back. It's not a 100% trigger like Black Market Down is for Adamantoise tears.

From 45-50, I go to Mor Donna in Saint Coinach's Find and pick up all leves EXCEPT for the Naturalist. All of the others are ones where you either pick up items and run to the next or uncover mobs or discover locations (which I describe how to do those quickly below) and you can complete the 4 upper area quests and turn them back in in under 8 minutes for all 4 (So like 60k-ish exp every 8 minutes).

For 'Have a nice trip', and other leves that have you 'uncover' mobs, don't bother actually obtaining or using the item. Just run around hitting each mob with a ranged attack. Your mark will uncover as soon as you damage it. So run around, hit all mobs to uncover your marks and leash them. Then just go back and kill the mobs you actually need. Super easy. For 'explore the locations', I will usually sit on one until I 'feel something', then run to the next area and wait for the text, then kill the first mob followed by the second. You don't need to continue to stand on the spot to have investigated the area, it'll do that on it's own after you kill the mobs.

If your on a server thats constantly running a fate train in Northern Thanalan I would suggest that for 44 - 50

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So as I understand it, reading the thread, of the new jobs, MCH is doing well for itself, while DRK and AST, while not in a terrible place, could do with some tweeks.

I have not seen DRK in action much as I was running WAR, but AST seemed to struggle at times compared to the other healers.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

If your on a server thats constantly running a fate train in Northern Thanalan I would suggest that for 44 - 50

I think finding/creating a party for DD first room spam is more efficient than NThanalan fate spamming for these levels.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Yeah but fate grinding is totally mindless, which makes it better. watch something on netflix and put someone on /follow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Malloreon posted:

I think finding/creating a party for DD first room spam is more efficient than NThanalan fate spamming for these levels.

Room spam was nerfed in 3.0, as I recall.

• Locked thread