Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, I really don't understand why they aren't going for more variety in the add-ons. They've got like, fifty loving almost identical dragons. If somebody din't get the first dragon, they aren't gonna get the second dragon. Or the third or the fourth or the seventeenth...

Because dragons sell. The guy who didn't buy that first dragon might not buy the 5th and 6th, but the guy who did buy the first one, very likely will buy the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th all the way to the seventeenth.
Goobers love dragons more than Cthulhu and tophats with sprockets on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I did not know there was such a large population of dragon fetishists out there.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Someone more industry-savvy than myself could make a goddamn fortune with a dragons-centric wargame. Like, WMH but with loving dragons.

But yeah, even as someone who doesn't really use miniatures in my RPGs, Bones KS have a ton to offer me as a wargamer. I bought Dragons Don't Share because it was cheaper than buying the castle parts individually. I'm still looking for a cheap Kaladrax to chop up for terrain on an ash-wastes sci-fi table. Right now the glue's drying on a Glabrezu I'm using as a Keeper of Secrets. And that henge! But like, looking at this one it's an ocean of D&D characters and singleton monsters I can't use.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Eh, Attack Wing, the DnD Dragon Xwang clone isn't setting the world on fire.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Somehow they hosed that up by making it about ugly miniatures and D&D. Plus all the dragons are small. You need it to be in 28mm so your dragons dwarf everybody else's regular armies of brave armored knight-mans.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bucnasti posted:

Because dragons sell. The guy who didn't buy that first dragon might not buy the 5th and 6th, but the guy who did buy the first one, very likely will buy the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th all the way to the seventeenth.
Goobers love dragons more than Cthulhu and tophats with sprockets on them.

They also said they make a few dozen types because at least one is going to appeal to each person. Eventually people will cave when a certain one that just calls to them is released.

Plus, being 10-15 bucks instead of 55-75 is a bonus.

Edit: Next unlock is a single weapons sprue. For those of us with bitz boxes from Warhammer, Mordheim and such overflowing with pieces like this, whoopdy-loving-do.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 10, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is Reaper reading this thread? :tinfoil:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ok Reaper, you now have my full attention.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

For good measure,

quote:

Hi Folks, I’m very excited to announce Jake and I have been invited to create a special project which will be a part of the current Reaper Bones III Kickstarter. This will be a special 'guest spot' for a Victoria Miniatures piece, and will appear approximately half way through the campaign. This piece is being specifically designed with Bones in mind, it will be cast in grey PVC, not the usual Bones white.

I assure you I have no intention (or the cash) at this point, to retool the entire range in PVC. This project is currently a one off, that will give me the experience of working on project for metal tooling, and will expose Vic Minis to a whole new audience. It will be a good learning exercise, and I look forward to hearing customer feedback. It gives Jake and I the chance to make a big plastic kit without the usual risk and expense. Best of all Bones will enable us to offer if for an insanely cheap price if purchased as part of the KS. It will also be available after the KS from Vic Minis, and we have lots of resin add ons already in the works.

It’s still a work in progress so I'll be posting some more pics in the next few days.

Cheers, V

:snoop:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

So it's not just some crew, it's a huge artillery piece? Ok, that sounds amazing. I was hoping for squads but this is a great start.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
On dragon talk, I'm actually kind of happy they released Marthrangul in Bones. I've thought the sculpt was neat for a very long time, but not enough to pay $90 for it. :retrogames:

So here's one person who wants Just One Dragon without going HAM on the rest of them. :shobon:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, traditionally the two big sellers for Reaper have been dragons and PC-type minis. I think the latter, at least, is changing somewhat; the top sellers on their online store are mostly monsters. I don't think the cave troll has ever been off the top ten since it debuted. Also popular are zombies, kobolds, the werewolf... Dragons, while individually not in the top ten, are overall pretty profitable, especially with the lower prices of Bones dragons. Kaladrax would be ridiculously expensive in pewter, but is reasonably affordable in Bones.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Dragons also bring in a lot of non-gamer people. There are a surprising number of people who just collect dragon stuff. Dragons resonate with people, it's why they're part of the folklore in so many cultures.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I feel like that Wereboar would make a good Farrow model. Similarly for the weregator. I am so excited for these tiny plastic toys

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Welp, I'm in on Wave 4 for the core, plus that fantastic looking Henge, and the barbarian mice. I feel like I should grab a dragon, since I don't really have a really big dragon mini, but none of them are particularly appealing to me.

Ug, why does the shipping date have to be so far away :cry:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
ReaperBryan a video.

I haven't listened to all of it, but there are at least two more pieces of terrain: A sacrificial altar designed to go with the stone circle and a mausoleum/church.

From the comments, there's also something (which isn't TIanot) that has either no heads, or three or four heads, depending on how you define "head." May or may not be that Shub-Niggurath that was seen at ReaperCon.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 11, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Holy moly the diminishing returns on Bones 3 has been significant, I won't say it's slowed to a crawl since it's still pulled in nearly 12k today, but 75% of the current funding was on the first day. The other 25% is over 4 days.

Wonder if they'll adjust their stretch goals accordingly? I know there's a spike at the end of course, but this feels like it's been far slower than 2.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

Wonder if they'll adjust their stretch goals accordingly?
they already did, they crunched a couple of them down around the million mark and changed the graphics a little

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Those Undying models are great, I'm a little disappointed that they aren't part of the core set.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That Victoria Miniatures artillery piece and Tiamat are probably going to bring in a lot of money - but compared to Bones I and II, I feel like updates aren't coming nearly fast enough to maintain interest.

So far there aren't even $100 worth of addons I'd want to use my pledge dollars for, and if I have to dump it I'm going from wave 2 to like... six?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

Holy moly the diminishing returns on Bones 3 has been significant, I won't say it's slowed to a crawl since it's still pulled in nearly 12k today, but 75% of the current funding was on the first day. The other 25% is over 4 days.

Wonder if they'll adjust their stretch goals accordingly? I know there's a spike at the end of course, but this feels like it's been far slower than 2.

As said before, they've condensed the stretch goals in the middle. $50k per goal instead of the 100k it should be, to keep things attainable.

Also, the themed expansions have yet to be unlocked, which should encourage more pledging later on. Still have two weeks to go, plenty of time to unlock stuff.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Captain Invictus posted:

It's not terribly surprising. A lot of the backers are going to be returning customers who would've gotten the message first day, and pledged as soon as possible to get an earlier wave. It still had decent momentum until yesterday, when the weekend hit. Weekends are normally slow, and the first weekend has traditionally been even harder hit, since it doesn't have as good a deal as will exist later. I doubt we'll see momentum like the first day until the very end, but we should pick up speed again tomorrow.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

The average pledge right now is $112.

To compare, KS1 had 17,744 backers with a total pledge of $3,429,235, for an average of $193.26 per person.
KS2 had 14,964 backers with a total pledge of $3,169,610, for an average of $211.81 per person.

This kickstarter's rewards are going to be more like KS2's with the expansions, though themed to attract more people. So if we get KS2's $211 per person, with the current number of backers (9,235) we'll be just shy of 2mil at the end.

More people will definitely hop on later, so while I don't think this will hit the totals of the previous two, it won't be a flop. Reaper's already said they plan on getting 150 minis into the core by the time this is over, so more people will finally stop sitting on the fence and hop in eventually.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I think they're too generous with letting you pledge a buck and keep your money and still buy it all by paying the difference when it's actually ready to ship. I'm sure doing that again because why not?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, that really does skew things, I suppose.

It does mean they get more money, though.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Otisburg posted:

I think they're too generous with letting you pledge a buck and keep your money and still buy it all by paying the difference when it's actually ready to ship. I'm sure doing that again because why not?

That, and a lot of people pledge at the $100 tier to get in on an early wave of shipping with the intent of bumping the actual amount up in the post-KS pledge manager, once they can see all the options that opened up during the KS campaign.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I don't expect to be able to do the core this time--I just dropped a ton on Deadzone Infestation--so I'm just going in for some addons/piecemeal. I know for sure I'm getting the dragon rider and not-StarCraft space marines, but I'm not sure what else yet.

Still have most of Bones II to paint, after all.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

gtrmp posted:

That, and a lot of people pledge at the $100 tier to get in on an early wave of shipping with the intent of bumping the actual amount up in the post-KS pledge manager, once they can see all the options that opened up during the KS campaign.

Are there even $100 worth of addons at the moment? The core set isn't really worth a hundred yet. If you planned to spend that pledge on a la carte options, you're probably still waiting for something / anything to justify clicking on the $100 level. The problem right now is that both options are "hope this gets better" things that don't really justify throwing more than a hundred dollars at, but neither will get better unless people decide that they are.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

moths posted:

Are there even $100 worth of addons at the moment?

Well, there's a grand total of $143 of addons available right now, $40 of which are paints.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

moths posted:

Are there even $100 worth of addons at the moment? The core set isn't really worth a hundred yet. If you planned to spend that pledge on a la carte options, you're probably still waiting for something / anything to justify clicking on the $100 level. The problem right now is that both options are "hope this gets better" things that don't really justify throwing more than a hundred dollars at, but neither will get better unless people decide that they are.

The core set has almost a hundred miniatures. If it weren't for the previous Bones Kickstarters people would be talking about what a crazy bargain this is.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, the core set's pretty solid. Right now, there are 93 minis in it, which comes out to about $1.08 per figure. That's not counting the torture chamber furniture, the weapons, or the bases. If there isn't $100 worth of minis you want in there, that's fine, but if you want even half of the minis, it's cheap even compared to what Bones retail for (and they retail for pretty cheap).

I'm pretty psyched about the townsfolk this time around. It's nice to be getting nonhuman villagers for once. Not sure if I'll grab the undying lords, but they're pretty snazzy too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm psyched that there's a female blacksmith! As someone who has done some blacksmithing before, however, it instantly irritated me that (as usual) that lady seems like she's about to seriously ruin that sword for some drat reason. (Blacksmiths are never depicted working on a hot piece of steel that isn't anything yet: it's always a perfect, finished item they're about to pound the poo poo out of with a big loving hammer.)

Yup, just lay that nice finished blade, complete with crossguard and pommel, right across the back edge of the anvil and just snap it in half with one sharp blow. Nice.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 13, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

:aaaaa:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
That's a big cannon. I'ma call it Pachelbel.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

The worst thing about this cannon is that I'm going to have to wait until September next year to get my hands on it :negative:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I did a little photoshopping and managed to un-silhouette the actual Bones Cannon product we'll be getting

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

I'm psyched that there's a female blacksmith! As someone who has done some blacksmithing before, however, it instantly irritated me that (as usual) that lady seems like she's about to seriously ruin that sword for some drat reason. (Blacksmiths are never depicted working on a hot piece of steel that isn't anything yet: it's always a perfect, finished item they're about to pound the poo poo out of with a big loving hammer.)

Yup, just lay that nice finished blade, complete with crossguard and pommel, right across the back edge of the anvil and just snap it in half with one sharp blow. Nice.

At least it should be fairly easy to modify. Cut out the sword and put a piece of dowel in its place.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I did a little photoshopping and managed to un-silhouette the actual Bones Cannon product we'll be getting

The Victoria stuff isn't going to be Bonesium, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Esser-Z posted:

The Victoria stuff isn't going to be Bonesium, IIRC.

It's going to be PVC at least, confirmed by Victoria, I'm guessing the same hard formula of bonesium used in the scifi terrain from Bones 2 Expansion 3

• Locked thread