Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Pigron are slower than flying. And they don't get the flight time and speed buffs that wings get from frostspark boots and frog legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

RareAcumen posted:

Nah, sand used to do like 15 damage a second at launch.

Plus, cactus was a physical object you could run into and it did damage to you and only you. Just like spikes.

It was more like the thorns in the corruption. It hurt and knocked you back, but you could still walk through it.

It was an incredible pain in the rear end to run through a desert biome without a cobalt shield.

Cyan Dag
Oct 21, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

I'm pretty much convinced martian probes don't exist anymore and I know that if I do somehow find one my stardust dragon will just instagib it anyway :(

There's a bug that happened as a result of the most recent update to make martian probe spawning a little more sane - the code to make them not appear when you have an event going on classifies the cultists at the dungeon entrance as an "event." If you've got them hanging out and praying there then that might be your problem. If you kill them and get the boss to spawn, and then teleport away/die to him so he despawns, and then mine out the dungeon entrance a little bit so there's no place for them to stand (basically make it not flat) then they won't spawn again and you'll get probes.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
When Terraria first came out you could mine sand super quick, something about falling blocks made them mine almost instantly with even low tier picks. So if you wanted to make a lot of money you could strip a desert, turn it all to glass bottles and sell them to the merchant.

Then they fixed it and sand mines as quickly as dirt in all situations. Mind you back then there was no hardmode so amassing 100 gold was a huge boon that looks quaint nowadays

pretty sure they didn't have platinum yet

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Akett posted:

Pigron are slower than flying. And they don't get the flight time and speed buffs that wings get from frostspark boots and frog legs.

Maybe so but the difference usually doesn't seem worth the slot. Not until the hoverboard anyway. That's just me, though.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Blind Duke posted:

pretty sure they didn't have platinum yet

The wiki says otherwise.

Gimbal lock posted:

Maybe so but the difference usually doesn't seem worth the slot. Not until the hoverboard anyway. That's just me, though.

Fair enough, I haven't really done anything with mounts because I'm fairly sure I had better wings than the hoverboard before I got a pigron mount.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Dumb question. I've heard mixed things about NPC ability to traverse through platforms. They appear to not want to drop down through the platforms attached to rooms, or jump up through them either when I'm looking.

I was attempting to kludge together some form of NPC viable stairway to play to their unwillingness to pass through platforms, so at the very least they can all sorta funnel downwards to eachother with something at least RESMBLING a stairway, without relying on open holes for them to fall through and call it a day.

I switched rooms around from one side of the hover cabin to the other and second floor to see how they'd path their way over.

The Trader walked up the ramp, and now just meanders about the wooden platforms instead of taking that last step onto the next ramp so they can reach their room. The Dye trader just walked up and kept going.

Two seconds after I took the snapshot the dye trader just walked off the edge :downs:

TL;DR: How does an idiot who knows nothing about building manage both up and down vertical access for NPCs that doesn't rely on offscreen teleportation? Or should I just say gently caress and accept that NPCs will just mingle with their own floor?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there anything that you can pass through but can also hang lanterns and banners from? I want to hang banners in my arena for the buffs but the blocks they're hanging from are gonna block and kill me someday.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Finally beat up Skeletron in my new world, after waiting at the dungeon through a Blood Moon...I go into said Dungeon...and the first Cursed Skull I kill drops a Nazar.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Section Z posted:

TL;DR: How does an idiot who knows nothing about building manage both up and down vertical access for NPCs that doesn't rely on offscreen teleportation? Or should I just say gently caress and accept that NPCs will just mingle with their own floor?

As far as I know, this is now impossible and NPCs will never go up or down stairs while onscreen. In my floating gulagfortress, they will (oddly enough) occasionally teleport downstairs while offscreen, but never upstairs.

Edit: Here, screenshot of my pre-hardmode fortress:

Of all the NPCs you see, the Merchant alone is not on his home floor. He lives in the room with the tigerskin on the left. No one else ever leaves their home floor. You see where the Dryad is standing in that screenshot? That's as far up the stairs as anyone ever goes. Someone said this is because they run into the platform above and fall off; I presume this is true. Point is, since 1.3 there is currently no way I know of to get NPCs to go up and down floors and mingle and that makes me sad and I hope it gets changed back.

Only half pictured: The goblin tinkerer who has the fourth floor to himself and is always lonely. :saddowns:

Yes I know it looks like something a random item generator spewed out I suck at designing okay

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 13, 2015

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Section Z posted:

The easiest way I've found is actually building a staircase out of platforms, which you can handmake yourself by hammering the platforms, or using the smart cursor thingy and building them diagonally, it'll automatically form the stairs. NPCs use those.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Anyone noticed graphical glitching when you zoom the overlay map all the way in to 1:1 scale? After turning the map off again, half my world's blocks had holes in them to the background until I restarted the game. Hasn't replicated though.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

Is there anything that you can pass through but can also hang lanterns and banners from? I want to hang banners in my arena for the buffs but the blocks they're hanging from are gonna block and kill me someday.

Deactivated-actuatored blocks maybe? It might just not let you deactivate them, or drop the banners...

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
According to the wiki this poo poo can be passed through by players but not liquids. Dunno about banners, but it's worth a shot.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Read posted:

Deactivated-actuatored blocks maybe? It might just not let you deactivate them, or drop the banners...

The banners just fall off when you deactivate the block.

E: Just bought some bubbles and some smoke, neither one will allow you to hang banners off of them.

Akett fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 13, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I just buried all my banners in a tunnel under the arena. The range is pretty big.

Edit: Tunnel is getting pretty full though. Dusty collects a lot of banners.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 13, 2015

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I beat Moon Lord on my first try. Still waiting to beat Duke Fishron. Thing keeps charging me to death :emo:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Xenaero posted:

The easiest way I've found is actually building a staircase out of platforms, which you can handmake yourself by hammering the platforms, or using the smart cursor thingy and building them diagonally, it'll automatically form the stairs. NPCs use those.

That is nice to hear if it works, I guess my NPCS (All five of them :downs:) just hate having anything to do with using platforms or platform stairs except walking over them like a floor when I'm looking.

Eric the Mauve posted:

As far as I know, this is now impossible and NPCs will never go up or down stairs while onscreen. In my floating gulagfortress, they will (oddly enough) occasionally teleport downstairs while offscreen, but never upstairs.

See also, this guy's luck on the matter.

Also I think your place is pretty okay :shobon:

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

LLCoolJD posted:

I beat Moon Lord on my first try. Still waiting to beat Duke Fishron. Thing keeps charging me to death :emo:

Make some armor from the luminite bars (whichever one of the sets you wish, though I would go with the solar for the huge armor) and give yourself all the drat potion buffs you can. One of the best possible ones to get is endurance potion which is a flat 10% damage reduction, from armored cave fish and I think blinkroot.

Akett fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 13, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

The Lone Badger posted:

I just buried all my banners in a tunnel under the arena. The range is pretty big.

Yeah, this is what I did. It's in a valley between a hill and one of those giant trees (so ok it's not technically a valley :spergin:) and I have all the banners underneath the bottom and some others in the sides or hanging off the tree and it works fine.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I finally beat Duke Fishron

Well I did cheat in a hundred truffle worms so I could have more failed attempts. (Many of which were actually because I forgot to change back from my angler suit or equip the right accessories :sigh:). Duke is a boss in which practice can lead to improvement, and the game actively prevents you from practicing by making his boss fight require a difficult hunt and then a long trek to the end of the world (Built a teleporter to the ocean).

It wasn't a repeatable strategy. Despite swiftness potion, spector boots, sunflowers, master ninja gear, spector wings, and at least one item buffing movement speed, he still can catch up with you. It is very difficult to keep your distance. I did have some maneuvers that seemed to help, but near the end of the battle was this nervewracking period in which I was frequently at only two hearts and struggling to keep my distance while waiting for the potion sickness to wear off. The chump gear combo of cross necklace and charm of myths really saved me.

Well, this has been a lot of fun. I used to be the loudest complainer about the difficulty of the solo bosses but now I'm... not bad? Looking at the number of temple keys I've stockpiled I've defeated Plantera 8 times (loving pygmy staff!!!!) without really using arenas beyond the open areas granite biomes provide.

Are there any other good Terraria video guys besides demize and yrimir? At this point youtube's recommending me Hero :mad:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I want to clarify what I said up above there--NPCs WILL use stairs. It's just that they will not pass through a platform floor in either direction. The standard way of going from one floor to another (which works just fine for the player) is to build stairs (a diagonal line of platforms which are then hammered into stair-shape) leading up to the next floor, the floors divided at the top of the stairs by a 5-or-more-block platform.

The player can still use this just fine. NPCs cannot. They will not drop down through platforms (enemies still will, however) and if they're climbing stairs and encounter a platform at the top they will immediately fall off the stairs (by walking sideways instead of upward, and off the edge).

All of this is new to 1.3; NPCs navigated platforms/stairs just fine before. A note in the changelog suggests this is intentional (something about preventing them from getting stuck? Can't remember exactly.) But there's got to be something better than "it is impossible to construct a way to move between floors within the same structure that NPCs will use" that will come in a future patch. I hope.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

at long last, with my complete Ultimate Herb Collection, i can create the Final Potion.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Acne Rain posted:

It wasn't a repeatable strategy. Despite swiftness potion, spector boots, sunflowers, master ninja gear, spector wings, and at least one item buffing movement speed, he still can catch up with you. It is very difficult to keep your distance. I did have some maneuvers that seemed to help, but near the end of the battle was this nervewracking period in which I was frequently at only two hearts and struggling to keep my distance while waiting for the potion sickness to wear off. The chump gear combo of cross necklace and charm of myths really saved me.

You mean you didn't build a track of asphalt over the ocean?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Eric the Mauve posted:

I want to clarify what I said up above there--NPCs WILL use stairs. It's just that they will not pass through a platform floor in either direction. The standard way of going from one floor to another (which works just fine for the player) is to build stairs (a diagonal line of platforms which are then hammered into stair-shape) leading up to the next floor, the floors divided at the top of the stairs by a 5-or-more-block platform.

The player can still use this just fine. NPCs cannot. They will not drop down through platforms (enemies still will, however) and if they're climbing stairs and encounter a platform at the top they will immediately fall off the stairs (by walking sideways instead of upward, and off the edge).

All of this is new to 1.3; NPCs navigated platforms/stairs just fine before. A note in the changelog suggests this is intentional (something about preventing them from getting stuck? Can't remember exactly.) But there's got to be something better than "it is impossible to construct a way to move between floors within the same structure that NPCs will use" that will come in a future patch. I hope.

Thank you for these clarifications. I expect I should save trying to deal with NPC vertical movement when I have fought so much as a single boss, and have both the practice and materials to make something more aesthetically pleasing than "bunch of rectangles", even if I stick with my theme of log cabins and brickwork.

I tend to play in binge chunks every so often, and even then I'm probably the slowest at Terraria in the world (I'm for the moment trying to avoid "go directly to fishing", so I have some semblance of an average progression).

Admittedly not fighting the Eye yet is as much having only stumbled across enough crystals to hit 180 so far as much as anything. I did luck out in that my first small world has Corruption, Iron, Silver, and Gold. So it hit the old familiar materials combo (Well, there is Tin instead of copper, but that's fine).

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Acne Rain posted:

Are there any other good Terraria video guys besides demize and yrimir? At this point youtube's recommending me Hero :mad:

What kind of Terraria videos? If you want to learn how to build calculators and video blackjack machines, you can check out Dicemanx, who goes by Joe Price on youtube.

Calculator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vh2BACkmQQ
Blackjack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hDEqq2Vzjw

He also has a bunch of other absurd things that he's built, like various grinders, hoiks, etc.

Dootman fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 13, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anyone want to trade a Celestial Stone for a Celestial Shell? I like my dye combo but it really doesn't work for me as a werewolf, so I want to change back down to the stone. But I don't want to grind eclipses again for the moon stone.

Defunct Prodigy
Mar 2, 2015
Question about fishing since I stopped playing after finishing the Frost Moon and am trying to get used to the new additions after coming back. Are the completion rewards cumulative across characters?

Like the wiki lists the golden fishing pole as guaranteed after doing 30 quests. If I've done 10 on 3 different characters will it drop or does it all have to be done with one?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Defunct Prodigy posted:

Question about fishing since I stopped playing after finishing the Frost Moon and am trying to get used to the new additions after coming back. Are the completion rewards cumulative across characters?

Like the wiki lists the golden fishing pole as guaranteed after doing 30 quests. If I've done 10 on 3 different characters will it drop or does it all have to be done with one?

It's cumulative for one character between different worlds, but not between multiple characters in the same world.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

after trying to fight the destroyer for the first time in a while i've been reminded why i should probably make an arena for this poo poo

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Figured I'd show off the base my brother and I have built before entering hard mode. Its nothing special for the most part since its a work in progress but I've gotten some cool stuff done I feel.

I'm building on the left with my little bro doing his own thing off on the right. You might think I was smart and built this bridge base over an existing valley, but when we started this was all level ground. I dug that huge valley by hand. Originally I had intended to flood it with water to make a nice big lake, but my brother found a mushroom biome and started talking about how cool he thought it was. So I fgiured why not make a mushroom valley instead? At least it makes it easy for me to figure out where truffle is gonna move in :v:

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
Since we're doing the whole showing off our bases thing, here is my current WIP:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Acne Rain posted:

Well I did cheat in a hundred truffle worms so I could have more failed attempts. (Many of which were actually because I forgot to change back from my angler suit or equip the right accessories :sigh:). Duke is a boss in which practice can lead to improvement, and the game actively prevents you from practicing by making his boss fight require a difficult hunt and then a long trek to the end of the world (Built a teleporter to the ocean).

You can set up a truffle worm farm and get tons of worms really easy

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

kazil posted:

You can set up a truffle worm farm and get tons of worms really easy

care to show some designs? I started to do things that way and got bored, but I'm not too great at building farms.

Tried making part of the jungle into a biome but the worms were still hard to actually find, tried a long strip of mud seeded with seeds and got bored with it though I caught a worm on it once.

Dootman posted:

What kind of Terraria videos? If you want to learn how to build calculators and video blackjack machines, you can check out Dicemanx, who goes by Joe Price on youtube.

Calculator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vh2BACkmQQ
Blackjack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hDEqq2Vzjw

He also has a bunch of other absurd things that he's built, like various grinders, hoiks, etc.

Cool I'll check these out.

Abandoned Toaster posted:

You mean you didn't build a track of asphalt over the ocean?

No, just two long platforms. I didn't think of asphalt. Might try that later, though I do not have much patience building.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
How do you make a pile of coins as a placeable block/furniture thing?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

So after reading about martian probes not spawning in worlds with cultists I realized I had a hardmode world where the cultists couldn't spawn at all (I'd mostly removed the dungeon entrance before 1.1) which meant the world was ideal for getting invaded.

Holy poo poo was I not prepared for that.

I died three times and lost over a third of my NPCs. The only reason I was able to kill any flying saucers for loot was because of the layout that I built my houses in which allowed me to stay in the nurse's home keeping us both alive while hitting the saucers with my solar eruption and letting my stardust dragon fly around doing his thing. At least I got some good poo poo out of that.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Just place them from your inventory or hotbar like any other furniture item.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Acne Rain posted:

care to show some designs? I started to do things that way and got bored, but I'm not too great at building farms.

I've got nothing special and I haven't really used it since 1.3 hit, but basically a wide open area with a one block line of mud deep underground. Get glowing mushroom seeds onto it and make an artificial mushroom biome. I would stand under a hole halfway through the line and worms would just crawl along and fall down into my waiting net.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Crimson Harvest posted:

You don't have to craft anything special, the coins themselves are placeable items. Just move them into your hotbar.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Can you fight Fishron in a drained ocean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dootman posted:

Since we're doing the whole showing off our bases thing, here is my current WIP:

Holy poo poo, that organization system.