Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

hey reddit I was stealing ~$20k/year for three years from my dad, then he found out and is suing me! he can't do that, right?????

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i'm sure he properly reported the gifts as income and paid taxes on them, so he's in the clear

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pinterest Mom posted:

i'm sure he properly reported the gifts as income and paid taxes on them, so he's in the clear

wouldn't matter. if you pay a mechanic $2k to fix your car and they spend half that on hookers and blow, you can still sue them even if your car gets fixed.

:iiaca:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Notorious QIG posted:

wouldn't matter. if you pay a mechanic $2k to fix your car and they spend half that on hookers and blow, you can still sue them even if your car gets fixed.

actually i'm pretty sure this is not how paying people to do things works

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jonad posted:

actually i'm pretty sure this is not how paying people to do things works

mechanics usually give you an invoice (e.g. hours worked and parts prices) so overcharging you would be fraud

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Wintering Stinkbug posted:

How much did he write, and who the fsck gives a 15 year old a checkbook. My bank wouldn't even let me have a checking account until I was 18.

I had a checkbook at that age but I also wasn't that much of an idiot

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious QIG posted:

well yeah you can sue anyone for anything, the question is if you can keep it from immediately being thrown out of court

but by paying his kid instead of directly to the school he's subject to the gift tax ($14k annual) which fucks him if he hasn't reported it (likely, since he's just paying the kid), regardless of how much of it the kid spent on tuition

what's funny is that if that kid were smarter he could've sold his dad on needing the excess for living expenses - hell, the FAFSA calculates the expected parental support amount for you, which means that he's probably well aware that his family makes too much money to qualify for things like Pell

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

well yeah you can sue anyone for anything, the question is if you can keep it from immediately being thrown out of court

but by paying his kid instead of directly to the school he's subject to the gift tax ($14k annual) which fucks him if he hasn't reported it (likely, since he's just paying the kid), regardless of how much of it the kid spent on tuition

what's funny is that if that kid were smarter he could've sold his dad on needing the excess for living expenses - hell, the FAFSA calculates the expected parental support amount for you, which means that he's probably well aware that his family makes too much money to qualify for things like Pell

wouldn't the gift tax exclusion for tuition apply for the amount that was applied towards tuition?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

BeOSPOS posted:

kucinich & sanders 2016

:fap:

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

xXxCreedFan420xXx sounds like my kind of guy

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

wouldn't the gift tax exclusion for tuition apply for the amount that was applied towards tuition?

only if it is paid directly to the school by the parent

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
proof that democracy doesnt work

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm a 19 year old virgin, and the most I have done is made out with two girls. It's kind of sad. Especially since I'm not even unattractive or disliked or anything. I'm 5'10, pretty slender and fit, no acne, perfect teeth,and have thick black hair. I wouldn't say I'm a male model or anything, but like a solid 7.5. The thing is that most girls at nightclubs seem to go for the big burly 6'4 guys who seem to convey traditional looks. I would say I'm more like Anna Kendrick and girls seem to go for the Kate Upton male equivalents.

But my looks definitely aren't the problem, it would just be a bit easier if I was a 10 and not a 7.5. The issue is that I'm fairly awkward. It's not like I'm socially awkward, I can hold a serious conversation with a 40 year old about politics or some poo poo, but I suck at seduction talk. Some really hot, really blunt, European friend of mine said I sound monotone and like I'm high, and that I always speak in my low voice. To compare myself to someone really well, I am like Steve Carrell's character in Crazy, Stupid, Love. Or Landry Clarke in Friday Night Lights. My female friends were making fun of me how I basically tried to dance with a girl at the night club by walking up slowly and normally up tight and saying "uhhh hi".

I also find like there are so many retarded issues in the dating game. Here are some: - it's seen as only appropriate to legitimately hit on girls at clubs, but that's like the worst place for legitimate relationships. Mainly just drunken promises and poo poo. - girls never use verbal communication yet complain about guys who mis-assume. -it's seen as weird to go for strangers but also weird to pursue girls in your quasi group of friends.

So, in general it sucks. I feel like 40 year old chicks would dig me, but not my age group. But not all is bad, there have been some indicators of interest lately. It's hard to tell and go for it though. 1. girl I know had her hand on my knee for like 15 secs at club. 2. european blunt chick gave me that look. I also definitely don't give off the "creepy" vibe that other guys get called, girls say, so I can be more assertive.

So, how do I up my game? I'm loving sick of being alone. Also, tinder sucks. Even with my cool travel pics and everything I only got 20 matches in 4 days in other country and 6 in 3 days here. Not many are great "quality" either. Meanwhile, literally obese (no offence to her) girl I know got 500 in a week in foreign country with me.

madeupfred fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 13, 2015

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this is an actually good article
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/07/11/reddit-s-terrorists-have-won-ellen-pao-and-the-failure-to-rebrand-web-2-0.html

quote:

This is the idea that you can build a functional community without having to spend any money or effort to manage it—that it just happens spontaneously through the “wisdom of crowds.” The Web 2.0 dream has always been to outsource all of the hard jobs to your users—that unpaid enthusiasts will do all the work of creating your content, curating your content, and promoting your content out of love, and all you have to do is pay some techies to keep the lights on.

Reddit is built on this premise. Anyone can create a subreddit and be its absolute, iron-fisted (but unpaid) dictator on the theory that if they do a bad job of it someone will just create another subreddit and everyone will vote with their feet.

Reddit’s core feature, the upvoting/downvoting system, is rooted in the hope that democracy can replace curation—that if everyone who sees a comment is allowed to throw a thumbs-up or thumbs-down on it, the cream will rise to the top and the poo poo will sink out of sight without anyone having to do anything.

As a result, Reddit, with a userbase of millions and ambitions to be the “front page of the Internet,” is managed almost entirely by thousands of unpaid, sometimes anonymous volunteers and has an actual staff of less than a hundred people, all of whom are required to live in San Francisco in the name of efficiency (which may be the real reason Victoria was fired).

We can see how well that’s worked out. In practice, the ability of anyone to spawn their own subreddit plus the upvoting/downvoting mechanism leads to each subreddit being an angry little fiefdom fiercely dedicated to its own idea of consensus where dissenting opinions get downvoted into oblivion. A community that’s seen to have a particularly obnoxious bias, say, r/Android supposedly being in the tank for Google Nexus devices, will develop a community focused on attacking the first community for being a “circlejerk” (r/Androidcirclejerk) that has the exact opposite bias and exists to post memes mocking Google Nexus devices for how they’re overrated trash. Eventually one community will lose its patience and “brigade” another community, flooding it with hostile posts in order to show the other side how wrong they are, and mods are forced to stay up all night banning people until everything settles down again (and several users, usually female, have quit Reddit for good after being blasted with death threats).

This is exactly as petty and stupid as it sounds. It’s also as alienating to ordinary, non-basement-dwelling troll users as it sounds. It’s the reason Reddit has gotten a reputation for being attractive to creepy, obsessive people for whom the inherently toxic environment is a reasonable price to pay to be around people like them. These are often people who have very strong opinions that polite society, for obvious reasons, disapproves of—for being a haven for pedophiles, white supremacists, conspiracy theorists, and unrepentant sex criminals.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Wasn't Discourse also built around the idea that moderation would be automatic or something? Has that worked out for any communities?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Man reading the Discourse FAQ it looks like they are targeting people who want forums that are hella boring.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

akadajet posted:

Man reading the Discourse FAQ it looks like they are targeting people who want forums that are hella boring.

those are the people willing to pay

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

marshall banana spotted in that thread lol

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm moderately annoyed by the niche subreddits I go to turning to poo poo by cheap fucks and and circle jerking. Sometimes they will show off how horrific their soldering skills are though, and it sorta redeems itself.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

if only we could make users accountable for their actions, and value their accounts

maybe if the whole world had some notion of "monetary units" as im gonna call them -- that you'd invest into your identity to allow yourself to exist in a community,

like let's say "ß100.00" is a ground floor for what "a decent amount" of "Monetary Units" (MU for short)

ß10.00 would be an ok amount to put into an identity in order to give a base line for what the value of your presence in the community represents

now that people have "paid", lets say, to be posting and having opinions, maybe they'll think twice before firing up "tell me about how much you hate coons" thread :) please +1 this post if u agree

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Mido posted:

if only we could make users accountable for their actions, and value their accounts

maybe if the whole world had some notion of "monetary units" as im gonna call them -- that you'd invest into your identity to allow yourself to exist in a community,

like let's say "ß100.00" is a ground floor for what "a decent amount" of "Monetary Units" (MU for short)

ß10.00 would be an ok amount to put into an identity in order to give a base line for what the value of your presence in the community represents

now that people have "paid", lets say, to be posting and having opinions, maybe they'll think twice before firing up "tell me about how much you hate coons" thread :) please +1 this post if u agree

but gbs

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mido posted:

something something AATREK

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Notorious QIG posted:

something something AATREK

who is permabanned and hasn't paid the :10bux: to rereg so I think low tax was onto something

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Ludwig van Halen posted:

who is permabanned and hasn't paid the :10bux: to rereg so I think low tax was onto something

actually if i remember right i think he did rereg but that was also permabanned

keymaster02
Mar 11, 2014

I had sex with a 32-year old at 16. SA is run by SJWs. Liking 16-year olds is not pedophilia. I hate your pronoun. I like young boys. I donate to the NAACP and probably NAMBLA too.
/r/softwareswap closed today. Who knew setting up a marketplace for selling non transferable demo keys might have been illegal.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yeah holy poo poo gbs is awful these days

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Okay, a lot of history, but basically we dated for 6 years. We are actually technically married, it was a business marriage, not one in spirit, but it's not like we didn't love each other. It has to do with real estate and loans and stuff. Yell about cheating the system or whatever, I mean why not get married, neither of us just cared for the actual concept of it. However, the state does, so, relevance.

We broke up, separated, about a year now. She's taken the break-up quite hard, I've never cheated on her, I simply expressed that she was not respecting or treating me correctly for years, and now I have feelings to see other people. It was a difficult break up, it was a first relationship, college sweethearts, and so the break-up probably wasn't as clean as it should've been. She trying to be open to open relationships, me not realizing how much it was hurting her and should've moved out sooner, her not making it clear that she wanted me to move out if I was going to seek out other people.

Lesson learned. You can actually trawl back and find the thread she started about the break-up, and you guys were pretty overwhelmingly on my side about how she did not treat me right and to let me go.

ANYWAYS. Broke up like a year ago. And she can't get over it (I got over it when she treated me like poo poo for 2 years the end of our relationship). And like every weekend, she sends me super nasty texts and stuff. And, I'll always love her, and so I always respond cordially and respectfully, and eventually she chills outs. But this is like clockwork.

Well 4 weeks ago she pushes my buttons a bit and I respond with a little bit of 'I'm just as miserable as everyone else, I don't need any help' and 'if you want me to just like kill myself, then just ask, otherwise gently caress off'. I was a little down and like I said, she pushed my buttons a bit.

Now she talks to me all the time in her rants, but I don't talk about myself to her. She's always belittling me still, I believe as a coping mechanism 'ie a good, honest guy wouldn't leave me, i'm a catch'. And she is a catch, but we let the relationship fall apart and I feel like I'm in a different spot in life, something I missed when most guys are in high school and college. If we're meant to be, see ya in 10 years, like whatever. So, I don't tell her how awesome my life is, how great my fitness is, the gains I'm making in business and social life. And then she hears about me from people in our small city and... gets a skewed perspective of who I am (cough guys trying to hit on her cough).

2 WEEKS ago she pushes my buttons hard. I never blow up, but I called her, asked to sit down and discuss things. Go to her house, and we decide to go to a park and discuss things there. To be honest, I was pretty hosed up, and I think I scared her by making some... suicidal comments while armed. But they weren't suicidal in nature, the comments were more like 'if you dont leave me alone, you could get me into trouble and I'll end up in jail, please stop talking to thugs and gangsters about me'. I might have put the gun to my head.... It's really not like me to do that, it was unchambered, safetied, but that's what she claims and I don't now. It was definitely the wrong move, and I was being overly dramatic and I'm sure poor firearm safety there. Really loving stupid. I mean she's done a million stupid things too. That's why we're broken up.

I don't think she's scared of me? Maybe she is? I have no idea. She decides to leave, whatever, we talk a bit at her car window, and as she leaves, she runs over my foot on accident. It hurts like a bitch, I fall down, and then she just runs away, like jumps out of her car. You can't just run away after hitting someone with your car... I ran after her and I wasn't rough, I was just like hey chill you can't do that in a public car... and cops come. Cops probably thought I was in the middle of hitting her, I don't know, she was in hysterics, and so I get sent to a mental institution for a week for suicidal tendencies according to statements she made.

So I get served with a Temporary Restraining Order. By the time I got out, I didn't realize how much time had passed and, I missed the TRO hearing... and apparently the restraining order is going to go for another 2 years?

Then, a week later, I got taken to jail for just an hour so they could give me a warrant for my arrest for Misdemeanor violation of restraining order.

But I never violated it! Or maybe, gently caress, I don't know. When I got out of the mental institution, I texted 'yo' to her. That's it. And then I've also talked to a mutual friend about the situation, and it's possible he mightve said 'hey Dude said to tell you...' But no demands, more like hey where's my property after I got locked up and I left you with my possessions...

Also, another gently caress up, she owes me $40K because we worked on a house together. We're married, so technically speaking, the more time goes by, as equity goes up, I'd make out better. She was supposed to have this done with and we just be totally over but I guess I kinda hosed things up.

Kinda sucks, she did a lot of poo poo to me. She used to beat me, treated me like poo poo, withheld sex from me, went crazy all the time. I go crazy once and now my gun is probably going to trashed, my CHP gone, like gently caress.

How do I fight this restraining order, or get a retrial on it perhaps? I don't even know what the 'violation of restraining order is in regards to'.

The crazy thing is she's the one that won't leave me alone! I left like 6-12 months ago, I've been done with her! She just keeps texting me and showing up at weird places she knows I go to, if anything I should have an order against her. I just want to protect her and help her through her break-up as much as I can, I wouldn't feel right being some kind of rear end in a top hat and like not responding or anything.

TLDR TRO against me, missed hearing, can I get a retrial or something? 2 years now restraining order, and I also have a misdemeanor violation of protection order for I don't even know what the gently caress. Certainly nothing serious like showing up. Like did she seriously take my 'yo' text message and plead that as a violation or something? ugh. We're toxic, hence the break-up.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

akadajet posted:

Wasn't Discourse also built around the idea that moderation would be automatic or something? Has that worked out for any communities?
no, discourse hasn't worked out for any communities

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

jony ive aces posted:

no, discourse hasn't worked out for any communities

figures

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's hard to justify why but i prefer the sa system of democratising content where there's a constant ghost of getting owned haunting everything you try to say

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Condiv posted:

Okay, a lot of history, but basically we dated for 6 years. We are actually technically married, it was a business marriage, not one in spirit, but it's not like we didn't love each other. It has to do with real estate and loans and stuff. Yell about cheating the system or whatever, I mean why not get married, neither of us just cared for the actual concept of it. However, the state does, so, relevance.

TLDR TRO against me, missed hearing, can I get a retrial or something? 2 years now restraining order, and I also have a misdemeanor violation of protection order for I don't even know what the gently caress. Certainly nothing serious like showing up. Like did she seriously take my 'yo' text message and plead that as a violation or something? ugh. We're toxic, hence the break-up.

lmao later in the thread he's bitching about not being able to carry a firearm for TWO WHOLE YEARS

PUGGERNAUT fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 14, 2015

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

chaos rhames posted:

It's hard to justify why but i prefer the sa system of democratising content where there's a constant ghost of getting owned haunting everything you try to say

if your forums' EULA isn't just the Jante Law you're not doing it right

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

sad reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/3czzes/me_29_m_with_my_gf_27_f_together_4_years_she_was/

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

chaos rhames posted:

sa way overdoes it though. sometimes it feels like half the posts here are people trying to humiliate each other over completely meaningless bullshit that nobody involved actually cares about

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
imo helldump is a big reason why these forums are so dead now

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Gum posted:

the lack of helldump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gum posted:

wow, yeah, I'm really sad that all the hosed up weirdos and real life rapists that were chased away by helldump aren't here anymore. a real loss.

• Locked thread