Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Conot posted:

While the VAPE masks are obviously a call back to the 100/Neo 100, I feel like the show is kinda treating the police like idiots when we know that every person who Hajime zaps/cubefies is falling unconcious, and as we saw a number of them are in public places.

"Hmmm, 18 reports of people wearing weird masks falling unconcious at the same time as a VAPE/CROWDS attack? Nah, I'm sure its nothing."

I wonder what the big deal is with Tsubasa not being able to transform unless shes angry. No one seems to have really gone "oh, yeah, that happens to everyone", and our only other frame of reference is Hajime from season 1, who figured it out as soon as she knew the activation phrase.

I also wonder why the only power that Katze can give is CROWDS. He seems to be pulling the soul out of a person a la JJ, but JJ's gatcha have powers from infinite range katana slashes up to atomization of all nearby matter(assuming he Gatcha'd OD, which seems likely).

Crowds isn't necessarily the only power that he can give--it's likely just the one that he felt would be the most amusing way to DESTROY THE WORLD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Conot posted:

I wonder what the big deal is with Tsubasa not being able to transform unless shes angry. No one seems to have really gone "oh, yeah, that happens to everyone", and our only other frame of reference is Hajime from season 1, who figured it out as soon as she knew the activation phrase.

I'm sure that'll be explaiend sooner or later. My guess right now is it's related to her running away from J.J. and not being all "cool, Gatcha me up!" like Hajime was. Probably something to do with not embracing either being a Gatchaman or an aspect of her personality, and when she resolves that conflict she'll do a normal Gatcha transformation, be way more powerful and save everyone.

It's pretty bread and butter, but bread and butter is delicious and I wouldn't mind if they went with something along these lines.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The new villain is dumb. He's proving that Crowds are bad by doing bad things with Crowds. It's like Decarte's proof of God in which he claims that the existence of god proves the existence of god.

Everything else is still fun though. Still trying to figure out the point of Gel's existence in the show, though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

He's right.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Everything Burrito posted:

My assumption for the difference between JJ's and Katze's ability to create NOTEs is because Katze is imitating JJ and isn't actually the same kind of being. Was it not mentioned, at least obliquely, that he was at one time a Gatchaman himself? I don't remember exactly since it's been so long since I watched it.

Katze has a note and a transformation, so he's as much of a Gatchaman as anybody else.

NowonSA posted:

I'm sure that'll be explaiend sooner or later. My guess right now is it's related to her running away from J.J. and not being all "cool, Gatcha me up!" like Hajime was. Probably something to do with not embracing either being a Gatchaman or an aspect of her personality, and when she resolves that conflict she'll do a normal Gatcha transformation, be way more powerful and save everyone.

It's pretty bread and butter, but bread and butter is delicious and I wouldn't mind if they went with something along these lines.

It might also be normal. We don't know if everybody who isn't a Social Media Buddha also figured the whole transformation deal out in like ten seconds flat.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

My assumption for the difference between JJ's and Katze's ability to create NOTEs is because Katze is imitating JJ and isn't actually the same kind of being. Was it not mentioned, at least obliquely, that he was at one time a Gatchaman himself? I don't remember exactly since it's been so long since I watched it.

I don't remember if it was ever directly stated, but it was heavily implied with things like JJ's prophecy referring to him as a broken bird.

Cerebral Bore posted:

It might also be normal. We don't know if everybody who isn't a Social Media Buddha also figured the whole transformation deal out in like ten seconds flat.

IIRC Sugane made a comment in episode 1 of the first season that if Hajime couldn't transform then she should just watch, so one could infer that others have issue transforming at will at first.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I remember O.D. saying he couldn't transform for most of season 1. I forget why.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Normie Slayer posted:

I remember O.D. saying he couldn't transform for most of season 1. I forget why.

He was just lying. He didn't want to transform since the last time he did he ended up destroying his home planet.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

this show is really cool

anyone who calls hajime a mary sue is a dummy

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i wish to suffer the same fate as katze

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Cake Attack posted:

:sparkles:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

NowonSA posted:

I'm almost certain this will not happen.

'Power' is really not something Gatchaman Crowds is concerned with.

Also I'm not convinced the new villain is a villain yet. Note that his actions have been entirely non-lethal so far, in contrast to, say, Berg Katze.

Cake Attack posted:

my prediction is that gel is going to also end up in hajimes boobs where she and katze will fight eternally

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 13, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

my prediction is that gel is going to also end up in hajimes boobs where she and katze will fight eternally

Gel will summon a speech bubble for Katze, which Katze will then fight with till the end of time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hajime will absorb all peoples and cultures into her boobs, like that ninja anime with the girl whose titties grew every time she defeated another ninja in combat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

hajime will absorb all peoples and cultures into her boobs, like that ninja anime with the girl whose titties grew every time she defeated another ninja in combat

Link?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

first result for 'boob ninja anime.' second was senran kagura.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'Having not eaten for days, Chifusa and Kaede get a job at a maid bar, but soon get fired due to Chifusa's short temper around the rowdy customers. Collapsing due to hunger, they are rescued by a man whose daughter was strucken by a mysterious breast disappearance.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

'Having not eaten for days, Chifusa and Kaede get a job at a maid bar, but soon get fired due to Chifusa's short temper around the rowdy customers. Collapsing due to hunger, they are rescued by a man whose daughter was strucken by a mysterious breast disappearance.'

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

strucken

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Welcome to my hard drive.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

The new villain is dumb. He's proving that Crowds are bad by doing bad things with Crowds. It's like Decarte's proof of God in which he claims that the existence of god proves the existence of god.

Everything else is still fun though. Still trying to figure out the point of Gel's existence in the show, though.

Gelsadra is concentrated nightmare fuel in a moe container and I fully expect the show to have her do something suitably horrifying in a few episodes. Speaking of her, I noticed the emoji bubbles popping up around her in the opening all turn red, rather than the relaxed pleasant green from episode 1.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Absorb me into titys

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I have to say, the show is already hammering me with background sadness

Gramps is still going through the same old routine, even though Tsubasa is going. I suspect hes gonna die before the end of this season

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Conot posted:

I suspect hes gonna die before the end of this season

Nooo but technically the next fireworks master would be her parents right?

Also, I missed this show :3:

Secretly, I wish I had Gatchaman powers of instant transportation as it'd cut down on my commute so much.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

the main baddie this season also seems to have a gatchabook. man, everyone is a gatcha this season.

can't wait for prime minister to get his own gatcha. Hell, give everyone a gatcha, it's the next logical step.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Conot posted:

I have to say, the show is already hammering me with background sadness

Gramps is still going through the same old routine, even though Tsubasa is going. I suspect hes gonna die before the end of this season
He's like 200 years old or whatever so probably, yeah. Hopefully it'll somehow make her angry and get a great fight sequence or something.

Davincie posted:

if you look under the skirt, do you see a bulge?
http://blog.livedoor.jp/toshigk/archives/8206258.html

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

pandaK posted:

the main baddie this season also seems to have a gatchabook. man, everyone is a gatcha this season.

can't wait for prime minister to get his own gatcha. Hell, give everyone a gatcha, it's the next logical step.

Gatcha!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So thanks to this topic I started watching Crowds, will probably check out Insight when I finish because it turns out this show is pretty good. Is this series at all related to the older Gatchaman stuff? Like if I went back and watched some of the old series would anything make more sense? Also Hajime annoyed the hell out of me in the beginning but now every scene she's in is a treat. I think this cartoon has driven me insane.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The new series has virtually nothing in common with the old series other than the bird motif and like the name of the bad guy, I think.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Nuebot posted:

So thanks to this topic I started watching Crowds, will probably check out Insight when I finish because it turns out this show is pretty good. Is this series at all related to the older Gatchaman stuff? Like if I went back and watched some of the old series would anything make more sense? Also Hajime annoyed the hell out of me in the beginning but now every scene she's in is a treat. I think this cartoon has driven me insane.

Crowds is to a very strong sense a deconstruction of the original series. I imagine if you were familiar with the original and the versions of the characters there you might get something out of that, but it is very much not necessary.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's a lot of things towards the original series, but 'deconstruction' isn't one of them

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Sakurazuka posted:

The new series has virtually nothing in common with the old series other than the bird motif and like the name of the bad guy, I think.

Which is kinda weird if you think about it. There were lots of people who were mad as hell because it's way different from the first Gatchaman, and I admit I was doubtful about the series when I started watching because of the name's legacy. They could have just changed the name and no one would have complained.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I am glad they didn't change the name because I like hearing "Gatcha!"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Endorph posted:

it's a lot of things towards the original series, but 'deconstruction' isn't one of them

I'm curious why you think that. Okay, my familiarity with the original series is literally just the wikipedia article, but from that it seems pretty clearly a deconstruction. Or maybe I just don't understand the word well enough, because I'm taking to mean "taking the original work to pieces, questioning its fundamental assumptions, seeing what results". Bleh.

I don't buy the argument that the show has 'nothing' to do with the original and could just be under a different, original name. I think Crowds is basically a response to the original, and in some ways it's in violent disagreement to it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

pandaK posted:

I think he has a Berg Katzbook, like Rui used to.

ViggyNash posted:

It is a metaphor for gun control :ssh:
It's a self-sustaining debate. Is it worse to disarm the people and rob them of their ability to defend themselves against a deadly threat, or is it worse to risk a destructive crossfire when people exercise their ability to defend themselves against a deadly threat?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fangz posted:

Or maybe I just don't understand the word well enough,

It's this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deconstruction?wprov=sfti1

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

It is a metaphor for gun control :ssh:
It's a self-sustaining debate. Is it worse to disarm the people and rob them of their ability to defend themselves against a deadly threat, or is it worse to risk a destructive crossfire when people exercise their ability to defend themselves against a deadly threat?
It's not. It's more a metaphor for the internet. Crowds is a creative and expressive tool unlike guns, and the point is that it is increasingly omnipresent in its use and very anonymising.

It's very unlike guns, where proponents argue for the *capacity* for its use, not the normal usefulness of guns in regular life. . And of course guns aren't really in any sense anonymous.

Hajime is basically the Tim Berners-Lee of this universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm not familiar with the original Gatchaman, but Crowds is a response to superhero stories in general. It is critical of the secrecy and lack of accountability of superheroes, as well as their assumptions that they innately know better than everyone else.

On that note, I have a suspicion that Hajime is going to get a rude awakening at some point. S1 spent alot of time focusing on Hajime, and she always took care to explain and articulate her madcap logic. This season, they're not explaining it in as much detail. Instead, we have that odd gray unchanging bubble over Hajime's head, and Tsubasa making frequent glances at Hajime's face, trying to read her expression. But she's not getting an answer. Tsubasa trusts in Hajime's decisions, she wants to trust in Hajime's decisions, but Hajime might just be over her head.

• Locked thread