Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

lol if explorer.exe crashes your system goes with it. the kill button on it in task manager is replaced with a 'restart' button too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

theultimo posted:

1 quarter means nothing in context, especially volume.

For instance, Xbox one shipped more fy14, does it mean buy Xbox?
:ssh: Apple's numbers are units sold to customers instead of units shipped to retailers :ssh:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

theultimo posted:

ok have 7 years of data. you can see PC sales today are falling below the levels seen after the financial collapse in 2008 when companies halted all purchasing:

there is absolutely no way to deny PC sales are in the toilet and only going lower. companies are flush with cash and the last thing they are doing is buying PCs (and hiring middle class workers)

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

mod sassinator posted:

ok have 7 years of data. you can see PC sales today are falling below the levels seen after the financial collapse in 2008 when companies halted all purchasing:

there is absolutely no way to deny PC sales are in the toilet and only going lower. companies are flush with cash and the last thing they are doing is buying PCs (and hiring middle class workers)

rip ipad

ripad

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

pc shipments. sales are only reported by apple. those shipment numbers have a ton of fluff in them that will get written off as losses later.

even though the playbook had a negative sales rate, it had a pretty decent number of shipments at one point.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Windows 10 different types of context menus

That hosed perspective is really messing with my head

mod sassinator posted:

Wait did iPads just disappear completely in Q2 2015 or what?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
they probably just stopped counting them as PCs

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Cardboard Box A posted:

Market Saturation, they are dropping due to Android and Windows Tablets 1/3 the price.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cardboard Box A posted:

numbers not available until Apple's next quarterly report

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cardboard Box A posted:

ipad is cratering badly thanks to tim's mismanagement

the ipad mini is officially dead and the ipad maxi is coming

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lightbulb Out posted:

depending on the SM board you have there is a cutout on the x8 slots so a x16 video card will fit. often times they have x16 slots that are x8 electrically but stlil work fine with x16 cards.

adding a video card also disables ipmi kvm.

ooooo, thanks, i'll have to check and see if i can make my life a little easier before the big rollout

these are actually test systems, testing interoperability with our products and various intel c-series chipsets.
if we expect the customer might ever use windows 10 then we gotta test it :/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Stymie posted:

ipad is cratering badly thanks to tim's mismanagement

the ipad mini is officially dead and the ipad maxi is coming
wait what :negative:

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

poty posted:

hahaha look at me

i am leaving my house to buy software

hahahah

software on a box

hahahahahaha

on a box from a store

hahahahhahahaha

the software is windows

*dies from lmaoing*

I'm mister meeseeks look at me

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

has anyone been amused enoug h by win10 to give me a breakdown on how exactly it's going to be a mid-air 777 collision

e: can't remember the last time when three pretty influential ministers from the cabinet (pm, interior, labor) went personally to yell at executives at a layoff disaster scene. they're going today

scamtank fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 13, 2015

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

theultimo posted:

mac sales have been increasing for a while even in light of the pc market in general having the bottom torn out.

gotta remember that mac sales are mainly centred around the $1000+ area for uses that cant be replicated on tablets etc.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
apple's sales figures are so good they released a mac pro shaped like a trashcan, nobody bought it, and the income for their other lines of business means they don't even care

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

anthonypants posted:

apple's sales figures are so good they released a mac pro shaped like a trashcan, nobody bought it, and the income for their other lines of business means they don't even care

apple makes like 50% of the entire profits in the PC market off of 7% market share lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stux posted:

apple makes like 50% of the entire profits in the PC market off of 7% market share lol

if actual sales were listed for everyone else or shipped numbers for apple instead of just units sold we'd have a better comparison.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

the 50% profit number is correct regardless, but if we had actual sales numbers for everyone apple would be significantly higher than 7% likewise if we saw their shipped numbers it would be larger too. not exactly comparing apples to apples.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

not exactly comparing apples to apples.

:rimshot:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

the 50% profit number is correct regardless, but if we had actual sales numbers for everyone apple would be significantly higher than 7% likewise if we saw their shipped numbers it would be larger too. not exactly comparing apples to apples.

those are idc estimates of shipments on that chart, not manufacturer-reported sales

maybe you can argue that macs have a lower shipment-to-sales ratio than other companies, but it's a largely fair comparison

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

wtf. how do all of you not have 802.11ac yet with a 50mbps+ connection at home

a p. deece two and a half figgies of bandwidth

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

welp, so much for buying a pc pre-loaded with windows 10 on the 29th

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-13/microsoft-windows-10-won-t-be-pre-installed-on-pcs-on-first-day-ic1uyg1s

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pinterest Mom posted:

those are idc estimates of shipments on that chart, not manufacturer-reported sales

maybe you can argue that macs have a lower shipment-to-sales ratio than other companies, but it's a largely fair comparison

iirc those estimates are based upon the reports from the companies themselves and apple doesn't report shipped only sold, but I could be off base here.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

quote:

For customers desiring a new PC with Windows 10, Microsoft is setting up stations in its stores and at other retailers to help install the operating system, said Yusuf Mehdi, vice president of Windows and device marketing.
he got promoted after directly, personally leading the greatest failure of device marketing in modern history

what a company

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol they may have gotten rid of stack rating but that still left a company full if exactly the sort of people who would thrive under stack ranking

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

shadow puppet of a posted:

he got promoted after directly, personally leading the greatest failure of device marketing in modern history

what a company

he's a high-ranking director of a big thing

the big thing went wrong, but he probably did a fantastic job despite everything else sabotaging his efforts since he's smart and shrewd enough to be a high-ranking director

*modern warfare level up riff*

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yusuf cannot fail. Yusuf can only be failed.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i misread a news article, the non-retina ipad mini is dead

however, there is mounting evidence that the ipad maxi is coming, both from leaked foxconn hardware and ios 9 specs

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stymie posted:

however, there is mounting evidence that the ipad maxi is coming, both from leaked foxconn hardware and ios 9 specs

cannot wait for the maxipad

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

cannot wait for the maxipad
I heard it's 12 inches and absorbs 3 times it's weight in fluid.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

but its plagued with backlight bleed and memory leaks

though i hear v2 is waiting in the wings with improvements

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
its out.....next month

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

heh

day one was nov 22 2013

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Xbox is huge.. failure LOL

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

pram posted:

Xbox is huge.. failure LOL

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Stymie posted:

retina ipad mini is probably the best tablet that would suit my needs and i'm glad to hear it's not been killed off yet

but today i just found out that the settings options in the charms menu has different options whether you're in the start screen or not. thanks, michaelsoft.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

scamtank posted:

has anyone been amused enoug h by win10 to give me a breakdown on how exactly it's going to be a mid-air 777 collision

e: can't remember the last time when three pretty influential ministers from the cabinet (pm, interior, labor) went personally to yell at executives at a layoff disaster scene. they're going today

well for one thing it's being distributed as an update to existing win 7 / 8 machines through windows update. i don't even know if there's a physical release. traditionally updating an existing windows install to a later version is fraught with edge cases and compatibility problems, like your lovely old hardware and driver suddenly not working with the latest OS. now that windows has a QA staff of zero, there should be some pretty amazing fireworks and spectacular failures of updates. and once you do update if you don't like windows 10, like say the 10 different right click context menus are confusing, or the new explorer looks like crap, there's no way to downgrade back to your win 7 or 8 install. so at that point you just go out and buy a chromebook or mac

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

heh

day one was nov 22 2013

what a savings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

anthonypants posted:

retina ipad mini is probably the best tablet that would suit my needs and i'm glad to hear it's not been killed off yet

but today i just found out that the settings options in the charms menu has different options whether you're in the start screen or not. thanks, michaelsoft.

it's not all good news

the ipad is still rapidly declining in general so it may not survive the ipad maxi release

• Locked thread