Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

japtor posted:

Latest beta apparently gets rid of the crown press that centers the app grid on the watch icon. It just goes straight back to the watch face if you press it while on the app grid :toot:

That was always the dumbest thing. Why would I want to center the home screen on the watch app but not actually enter the app itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I think it was supposed to be the Watch equivalent of pressing the home button on the iPhone - when you're on the springboard(?), it takes you to the first page of apps.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

I think it was supposed to be the Watch equivalent of pressing the home button on the iPhone - when you're on the springboard(?), it takes you to the first page of apps.

Sure, but that seems more about arbitrarily forcing watchOS to behave similarly to iOS than actual consideration of utility.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm not saying it was a good idea, just that I can see where it came from.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I had my first sensation of a haptic when the watch wasn't on.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

benisntfunny posted:

It also now has bigger unlock keys I noticed. Still not enough reason to want to use it. Supposedly they fixed Notifications. I haven't had haptic feedback in over a month on the watch. Sucks :(
Tried restarting the watch and phone, or restoring the watch?

bort posted:

I had my first sensation of a haptic when the watch wasn't on.
Wha?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
That's probably a clot.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's an actual condition that happens with phones, the phantom vibrate in your pocket when you don't even have your phone on you, so I'm not surprised it's happening with the watch, too.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I have it all the time with my watch on.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Last night my watch didn't charge and I figured out it was basically the watch though it was using an "unauthorized" charger. Are there even third party chargers out yet. Obviously this is a bunch of bullshit.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

LorneReams posted:

Last night my watch didn't charge and I figured out it was basically the watch though it was using an "unauthorized" charger. Are there even third party chargers out yet. Obviously this is a bunch of bullshit.
Wipe the sweat off the back of your watch.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

:sigh:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Am I looking at the charger having pulled the back off your watch?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Holy moley. I would get your rear end to an Apple Store today.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Covered by AppleCare.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Well duh.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

1997 posted:

Covered by AppleCare.

That better be covered by the fuckin' standard rear end warranty without AppleCare. Holy poo poo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

That better be covered by the fuckin' standard rear end warranty without AppleCare. Holy poo poo.

As long as there's no signs of intentional damage, it absolutely is.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

RVProfootballer posted:

Am I looking at the charger having pulled the back off your watch?

Yes. When I picked it up to take it off the charger, the back stayed with the charger, almost ripped the wires out.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Holy moley. I would get your rear end to an Apple Store today.

I would like to, unfortunately no watch appointments until Tuesday evening. I think I'm going to just try walking in tomorrow morning.

1997 posted:

Covered by AppleCare.

Thanks Captain Obvious!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yes. If you walked in showing that, they'll take care of you ASAP. Apple Watch is their new baby.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yes. If you walked in showing that, they'll take care of you ASAP. Apple Watch is their new baby.

If the sales numbers are real, I have a feeling Apple Watch is the new Apple TV.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

You're holding it wrong. ;)

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

TheJoker138 posted:

If the sales numbers are real, I have a feeling Apple Watch is the new Apple TV.
:confused:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some article came out recently from a purchase tracking app that said sales dropped 90% and the internet is freaking out.

There are no real sales numbers and won't be.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah the data is incomplete at best (U.S.-only internet sales of people who opt-in to their tracking service) and does not account for the watch finally being available for purchase at retail Apple Stores in June nor does it track international sales, among other factors.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

gret posted:

Yeah the data is incomplete at best (U.S.-only internet sales of people who opt-in to their tracking service) and does not account for the watch finally being available for purchase at retail Apple Stores in June nor does it track international sales, among other factors.

Ah, I thought the edition numbers were low.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Some article came out recently from a purchase tracking app that said sales dropped 90% and the internet is freaking out.

There are no real sales numbers and won't be.
I wouldn't count on that. Apple is a publicly-traded company and its stockholders will definitely want to know. They might not (probably won't) split out by model, but I'd be extremely surprised if they don't release numbers.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They announced in advance that they wouldn't release numbers.

We'll see how well that holds up if it really doesn't sell well after the launch.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I wouldn't count on that. Apple is a publicly-traded company and its stockholders will definitely want to know. They might not (probably won't) split out by model, but I'd be extremely surprised if they don't release numbers.

smackfu posted:

They announced in advance that they wouldn't release numbers.

We'll see how well that holds up if it really doesn't sell well after the launch.

If it doesn't sell well after the launch (with respect to expected sales, that is), they'd be much more likely to stick with not releasing numbers, yeah? They'd just say "we won't release numbers, like we said previously, but they're selling like hotcakes!" If it sells more than the commonly expected numbers, they'd only gain by saying "look, we sold a mountain more than you all thought we did, here's the numbers to prove it." Yeah or no?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I took a fall on the road while jogging this morning and managed to land wrist down on my watch. The sapphire was fine, a little rock dust on it from when I contacted the road. That was cool.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice

I've seen a couple of pics around of this same thing happening within the past day. Hopefully won't become very widespread.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The Apple Watch doesn't need, but will certainly get 2 million sales it's first year. Anything more than 2 million and less than 4 million is great and anything more than 4 million is spectacular, as far as this niche market is concerned. I doubt anyone at Apple is concerned in the least, what with the inevitable boost Watch OS 2 will provide.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

If it doesn't sell well after the launch (with respect to expected sales, that is), they'd be much more likely to stick with not releasing numbers, yeah? They'd just say "we won't release numbers, like we said previously, but they're selling like hotcakes!" If it sells more than the commonly expected numbers, they'd only gain by saying "look, we sold a mountain more than you all thought we did, here's the numbers to prove it." Yeah or no?
Yeah I'd expect it to be broken out at some point if/when it becomes more established, both in sales and software (particularly cause how much reliance on iPhone there is for now). In any case the next quarterly should be interesting just cause even if it just does ok the effect should still be noticeable in whatever category numbers it's being stuffed into. They might as well reshuffle the iPods in there too if they haven't already.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The Apple Watch doesn't need, but will certainly get 2 million sales it's first year. Anything more than 2 million and less than 4 million is great and anything more than 4 million is spectacular, as far as this niche market is concerned. I doubt anyone at Apple is concerned in the least, what with the inevitable boost Watch OS 2 will provide.
Good news then! That one analytics company (with the questionable at best sampling methods) had it slowing down to 30k/day, so about a million/month. Those same guys estimated 2.5 million orders through the middle of May. So by their numbers I guess they're saying Apple sold around 4 million at this point? I'd be more curious how it does during the holidays.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
So we're all in agreement that wearing the Apple Watch around water and potentially swimming in a lake is A-OK? I know a lot of people did water tests when it first came out, but I don't know what the final consensus was beyond "Hey, neat, it works I guess."

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Sales have slowed by 90% from the million or so they sold on the first day. Apple is dead RIP Steve :qq:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

io_burn posted:

So we're all in agreement that wearing the Apple Watch around water and potentially swimming in a lake is A-OK? I know a lot of people did water tests when it first came out, but I don't know what the final consensus was beyond "Hey, neat, it works I guess."

It is waterproof for 30 minutes submersion (and that's a conservative guideline, one of those tests said) so I think that wouldn't be a problem but I'm still paranoid about it falling off while swimming and particularly with swimming in lakes I'd worry too much about sand getting caught in it or scratching the surface up.

I'll probably give it a whirl when/if my current watch becomes my backup watch after version 2 launches.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

japtor posted:

Yeah I'd expect it to be broken out at some point if/when it becomes more established, both in sales and software (particularly cause how much reliance on iPhone there is for now). In any case the next quarterly should be interesting just cause even if it just does ok the effect should still be noticeable in whatever category numbers it's being stuffed into. They might as well reshuffle the iPods in there too if they haven't already.

Good news then! That one analytics company (with the questionable at best sampling methods) had it slowing down to 30k/day, so about a million/month. Those same guys estimated 2.5 million orders through the middle of May. So by their numbers I guess they're saying Apple sold around 4 million at this point? I'd be more curious how it does during the holidays.

Yeah, the articles all went with the big scary "Sales drop 90!%!" title, but the actual numbers looked fine.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Also there weren't any actual numbers. The best they could provide were estimates, and you have to figure yourself whether you trust their methodology.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Agronox posted:

and you have to figure yourself whether you trust their methodology.
It's already been covered a bit, but yeah...you shouldn't.

Someone mentioned US only before, and out of that subset it's down to people willing to give out email credentials to let them scan for receipts. And other than that I don't know if they collect much (if any?) demographic data. So basically as far as proper survey/statistics methodology they seem to be a sham, last I looked into it all I could find were hand wavy claims. It might be fine for predicting "if we had more Slice app users this is how they'd shop" but not so much for extrapolating results to the whole country, much less the world.

There could be a lot more watches out there. Or a lot less. Or somewhere in between.

In any case I like mine, and especially glad I had it yesterday with some family drama just cause I didn't have to pull my phone out (and/or keep it out) for the billion messages that came through :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

japtor posted:

There could be a lot more watches out there. Or a lot less. Or somewhere in between.

There are definitely a lot more. Their numbers don't include in person or international. I don't know why people were ever following their numbers to begin with. I guess it was a matter of "Apple isn't giving us anything so we'll publish whatever we can find."

I love my watch as well.

• Locked thread