Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Pretty sure it's both. The lights represent drones that have not launched, but as you do damage the probes get launched, and the lights on the body turn off (well, fly off, but you know what I mean).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i thought the lights were docked probes that get knocked loose if you hit them

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Cicadalek posted:

Damage wise, it seems like there's no reason to use anything but the venom or ichor flasks. Venom does 6 damage a second, which is more than poison/fire/cursed fire. Ichor reduces defense by 20, which might just be way more damage overall than the venom? I'm not sure how defense works for enemies. You could always use venom and occasionally spray enemies with the golden shower spell I guess.

If you're playing multiplayer it's also really beneficial to spread out status effects among players, two venom users won't inflict double venom, but a venom and cursed flame user will have their effects stack.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
The destroyer doesn't have any specific weak points (hitting lights on segments vs. lights off segments is the same damagewise) but any weapon that does splash damage or pierces will do well because it'll hit multiple segments.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I just tried fighting the moon lord for the first time and he flat out annihilated me. Like I had the buffs I usually use for my fishron kills but moon lord just stomped my face in like it was made of paper.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Wait, so this new patch fucks up the use spikes and honey to kill moon lord technique?

Dammit, anyone else know any ways to kill that thing?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

King Doom posted:

Wait, so this new patch fucks up the use spikes and honey to kill moon lord technique?

Run away from it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Akett posted:

Wrong, there's clowns, and the hardmode enemies that normally spawn at night are also pretty dangerous in large numbers, especially if you are completely new to hardmode and are still wearing pre-hardmode armor.

I don't think clowns are pretty difficult to handle but, fair enough, the beginning of hardmode is pretty rough. I've lost perspective now that I've got me a Kraken.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

King Doom posted:

Get the UFO mount, highest summoner armor you can, Stardust Dragon staff, Vortex Beater, and several stacks of chlorophyte rounds. Summoner gear like Necro Scroll / Papyrus Scarab is a big plus.

Begin by summoning the One True God to the highest level you can get him. Fly all the way to one side of the map or another on your UFO mount. Begin flying toward the center of the map and summon the Moon Lord. Continuously climb or dive while flying because your UFO mount is slightly faster than TotallyNotCthulhu whilst doing so. Learn to switch between climbing and diving rapidly to dodge random projectiles like the summoned eyes. When you see the central eye on his head open, get ready, he's a-chargin his lazor. When he fires the eye laser, fly up and over his head to outrun it. You should now be going the opposite direction as you were before. Continuously fire your Vortex Beater at him throughout the fight. I rarely drop below half life using this method and even more rarely need to pop a potion. It's all a matter of training - the more you practice, the better you'll get.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I never made arenas for Skeletron Prime and the twins, just use wings and run across the world getting away from them while pelting them with your projectile of choice. I remember killing the destroyer really easy with the mushroom hammer but iirc they nerfed that some patches ago so I dunno what's the best strategy now.

I feel arenas might be only necessary for the events since they require you to mow down waves and waves of enemies efficiently and they always felt way harder for me than the mechanical bosses or Plantera. Speaking of plantera all you need for it is to have a reasonably big space inside the jungle to maneuver away from it, and the jungle usually has enough natural caves so you just need some explosives to set up a proper "arena".

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Holy arrows murder the destroyer because the stars always hit him and pierce through everything and also destroy his drones, crystal bullets should also work and they work great on the other two mech bosses.

My strategy for plantera uses both spectral helms, I use the damage-dealing one for the first part of the fight and then switch to the healing one when it gets down to the wire. Mostly use the harp, circle strafing him in a granite biome. Sometimes use magnet sphere, but probably not necessary. Maybe trailing him like the twins could work better since I do get hit quite a bit but would require more work to set up.

The golem is a complete joke

I don't intend to go to the lunar events until I've completely farmed everyone else.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
gently caress. Died at the last second to the slime king :argh: shoulda had more lighting I guess, but the bombs I tried throwing all barely missed him and blew out the local lighting so I got stunlock pinballed by tiny slimes dealing 1 damage into him like an idiot when it was down to 30 health :saddowns: I shoulda taken more time, but the slime rain had worn out, night had fallen, and I was worried he'd run away at any second or something.

If I'm this much of a fuckup on something that can barely be called a boss, I'm not expecting good thing whenever I hit 200 health for the Eye, or the fact I'm finally scouting around the corruption and packing bombs.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 13, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Not long after my multiplayer game got to hardmode I was killing some stuff in Crimson underground in a big open natural room to farm ichor and between the 120 or so ichor, several mimics, and platinum or so worth of gold I got I also got a Crimson Key drop. :toot:

Knowing that as soon as we kill Plantera I can run to the dungeon and grab game-breaker knives? It's a good feeling. :black101:

Summoning seems reall underwhelming early on in Hardmode though. I'm using an imp staff and the spider queen turret staff with a full spider armor set. Still, 4 imps and a spider turret don't seem as good as just throwing on magic-boosting hardmode ore armor and blasting poo poo with the laser gun, ice flower, golden shower, nimbus rod, and poison staff.

Nimbus rod is still one of the most wonderfully OP things you can get early on in hard mode. Why yes, I would like the ability to place two rainclouds via LoS and have them do hundreds of damage per second to enemies that can't help but walk in to the big death pits on either side of me. :getin:

Section Z posted:

gently caress. Died at the last second to the slime king :argh: shoulda had more lighting I guess, but the bombs I tried throwing all barely missed him and blew out the local lighting so I got stunlock pinballed by tiny slimes dealing 1 damage into him like an idiot when it was down to 30 health :saddowns: I shoulda taken more time, but the slime rain had worn out, night had fallen, and I was worried he'd run away at any second or something.

If I'm this much of a fuckup on something that can barely be called a boss, I'm not expecting good thing whenever I hit 200 health for the Eye, or the fact I'm finally scouting around the corruption and packing bombs.

Go fishing. Catch some of the tool fish like the shark and sawfish, pray for a falcon blade from a crate maybe, but fishing is the way to power.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Any advice for farming up a Blindfold and a Nazar? I figure I can build a corrupt desert, but the enemies that drop the Nazar seem uncommon at best.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I have some questions about the lunar event.

- If/when I kill the cultist boss again, will the pillars spawn in the same places as before? The solar pillar is right above a watery jungle area and it's making it a huge pain in the rear end to fight there. I'll need to do some construction there if it's gonna be there every time.
- Does the amount of enemies you need to kill to remove the pillar's shield reset if you die? (or if everyone dies in multiplayer)
- gently caress the solar pillar enemies holy poo poo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Crimson Harvest posted:

Any advice for farming up a Blindfold and a Nazar? I figure I can build a corrupt desert, but the enemies that drop the Nazar seem uncommon at best.

The secret is to grind Nazar in the Dungeon before it switches to hardmode spawns :ssh:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

Go fishing. Catch some of the tool fish like the shark and sawfish, pray for a falcon blade from a crate maybe, but fishing is the way to power.

I am admittedly, AVOIDING fishing because I've never so much as seen hard mode before. So I'm trying to give myself some semblance of "Baby's first natural progression". My loss to the Slime king at least is one I can readily point to as "my own loving fault" circumstances. (Oh gently caress me, I forgot wands and arrows can shoot THROUGH platforms I could have done the entire fight from complete safety from my incidental platform rigs on the side of my home, WHILE shielded by raining slimes :downs:)

Just popped open the two most annoying to reach shadow orbs in my local corruption (Under water ones). Got a musket, vilethorn, and near instant "A meteor has landed!" message. I expect it has landed somewhere past the corruption to my left (which I can traverse now readily enough), or past the jungle to my right (Which I have stayed away from).

Dynamite doesn't destroy meteor ore right? a quick glance at the internet suggests it does not. I do have a gold pick (smartcursor loves to try and uselessly hit ebonstone instead of the dirt your mouse pointer is over, it seems) but at least the slime rain fighting has doubled my gold so I can splurge on some explosives.

EDIT: Once I have the Eye and Destroyer dealt with, I do plan on looking into some casual fishing though. Got 80+worms, some stars, and a Reinforced rod at least.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 14, 2015

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

You can mine meteorite with explosives. Make sticky bombs.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Walrus Pete posted:

I have some questions about the lunar event.

- If/when I kill the cultist boss again, will the pillars spawn in the same places as before? The solar pillar is right above a watery jungle area and it's making it a huge pain in the rear end to fight there. I'll need to do some construction there if it's gonna be there every time.
- Does the amount of enemies you need to kill to remove the pillar's shield reset if you die? (or if everyone dies in multiplayer)
- gently caress the solar pillar enemies holy poo poo

1. "Slots" for a pillar are the same, but the pillars themselves are randomized in which slot they'll appear in.
2. Didn't for my crew, patch might have changed it.
3. Two men, BACK TO BACK ARRRGHHHHH, at high ground so the spinny enemies can't get to you as easily without you slaying them, do not fly because worm will mince you. Homing bullets are nice for this event. Worked for us, but could have been luck.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

YF-23 posted:

You can mine meteorite with explosives. Make sticky bombs.

Dynamite can also be made sticky now, for maximum meteorite enjoy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

YF-23 posted:

Make sticky bombs.

This is wonderful advice and really saved on how many bombs I used reaching those shadow orbs.

You don't even need a crafting station to slather slime gel all over your explosives, it's great.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Dynamite can also be made sticky now, for maximum meteorite enjoy.

Such joy from such simple things.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I loving love sticky dynamite.

The White Dragon posted:

The secret is to grind Nazar in the Dungeon before it switches to hardmode spawns :ssh:

Yeah while killing to get my bone wand I got like three nazars. Is it really the hard to get part of the ankh stuff?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Blackheart posted:

I loving love sticky dynamite.

Yeah while killing to get my bone wand I got like three nazars. Is it really the hard to get part of the ankh stuff?

It super is if you don't farm for it pre-hardmode. Cursed skulls spawn pretty drat infrequently in the hardmode dungeon.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

It's not like you can't make a new world and murder skeletron for an easier time getting nazars. Hell, once you have some good hardmode gear you can make an expert world and enjoy the benefits of a doubled drop rate.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I've got the full Meteor set, Space Gun, Nightmare Pick and the Metero Hamaxe, what kind of equip should i be looking for next? Hellstone? Attempt to kill some bosses?

Defunct Prodigy
Mar 2, 2015
There's the Jungle set but depending on how you play it's not a big deal to head straight for Molten gear. Don't forget to grab a Hellforge while you're down there.

Any boss pre-Hardmode should be fine with that setup too.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Akett posted:

It's not like you can't make a new world and murder skeletron for an easier time getting nazars. Hell, once you have some good hardmode gear you can make an expert world and enjoy the benefits of a doubled drop rate.

I've made a lot of throwaway worlds for massive deforestation. It's an ecology disaster.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
does anyone here have a rented server? i was looking at gameservers but im not really familiar with any given service

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Walrus Pete posted:

It super is if you don't farm for it pre-hardmode. Cursed skulls spawn pretty drat infrequently in the hardmode dungeon.

Cursed skulls spawn infrequently in the normal dungeon. :(

I must say though, as soon as you get your base setup, it should be mandatory to make minecart tracks that go from your base to both edges of the world map. Holy hell is it useful. "Hey I want to go to the dungeon that's 6000ft away" ok it takes less than a minute of zipping along on the tracks. You can even lay (flat) tracks fast as hell easily because you just get going at a moderate speed, hold down the mouse button, and mute your speakers. Several minutes and a few thousand track later you've hit the edge of the map.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Do cactus grow much like trees, in that they become a set height and that's it or do they actually grow taller if you don't cut them down?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

King Doom posted:

You can still use statues to spawn a weak enemy like a slime as a spike replacement. But you'll need summons or a yoyo to hit bosses without killing your slime pal.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Found where my first meteor hit!

There are a few tiles of sand between it and the ocean, so I guess I won't be going nuts with dynamite after all.

Go away Soul eater, I'm busy dealing with meteor heads (Oh right, it plowed down through a small chunk of non corrupt beach sand between the ocean and a corrupt desert).

Fake Edit: Whoops I forgot Fire was an ongoing effect "Oh that's low damage I should be fine-waaait oh gently caress"

Real Edit: SPACE GUN sorry Saphire staff, you may be the same damage for less mana, but you are not full auto and piercing-*blows through all 200 mana wildly firing at three enemies*

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 14, 2015

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

benzine posted:

1.3.0.5 is live.

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads%2F1-3-0-5.25621%2F

Some highlights:
- Added Celestial Sigil, a summoning item for the final boss. (craftable)
- Living leaf walls now count as safe for housing!
- Martian Drone now shows up on Rare Creature Finder.

"Buffed Phantasm a bit. (it really was bugged!)"

I don't know what about it was bugged but I'm cool with my instagib machine gun bow being even stronger.

Also maybe I'll be able to find the martians now

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I dunno why the Dryad is so concerned about the crimson. It seems like a much nicer place to stay than the jungle, which has loving turtles dropping out of the sky to crush my skull.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Blackheart posted:

I've made a lot of throwaway worlds for massive deforestation. It's an ecology disaster.

It is pretty satisfying to just go full Once-ler on a world

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's -25% damage going down to -0% over the next five seconds. It doesn't ruin your offense. Even if it was -100% for the whole duration it would still be better and faster than sitting on your hands and waiting to regen naturally.

Subsequent mana potions add their duration on, capping out at ten seconds for a -50% reduction. If you're really blasting away at a boss with a mana flower equipped you'll easily be hovering around a -35% to -50% damage penalty. Compared to a guy with a gun who can just hold the button down and shoot forever, that is absolutely crippled offense.

President Ark posted:

Mana regeneration potions. If you're fighting in an arena, place stars in a bottle.

Oh, thanks I didn't know about the star in a bottle effect.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So reading the patch notes, I thought of something we should totally be able to do, but didn't really expect, and thus went to check.

And determined that, no, sadly you cannot shoot things through portals. Which would be amazing. But c'est la vie.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Do cactus grow much like trees, in that they become a set height and that's it or do they actually grow taller if you don't cut them down?

They do grow taller if you leave them alone, I think the maximum height they can get is about six or seven tiles high. It also feels like the variant cacti (crimson/corrupt/etc.) grow slightly faster, though I can't tell for sure.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
So what's the advantage of the mutli-chained hooks? Stumbled into the Web Slinger earlier and it just seems to slow me down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You get to spiderman around all over the place and also not fall too your death because you mined out the tile your hook is connected too, as you have others. The web slinger is not represenative of other multihooks at all; its a weird gimmick where you have an absurd number of hooks but the range on them is pitiful so its pointless.

If you can get the ivy whipe or slime hook you'll quickly see how useful real multihooks are though.