Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CuwiKhons posted:

Do you use the activation code for it?

I was just given a single code that said it was for the game + Harley DLC, should there have been an extra standalone code?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They have goons who can disable detective mode by jamming it, goons who home in on you if you use detective mode, and the Knight unleashes guys in suits that prevent you from using detective mode too during his boss fight. I liked it when he said, "How long has it been since you fought without the cowl?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Speedball posted:

They have goons who can disable detective mode by jamming it, goons who home in on you if you use detective mode, and the Knight unleashes guys in suits that prevent you from using detective mode too during his boss fight. I liked it when he said, "How long has it been since you fought without the cowl?"

Yeah, but the homing device is basically worthless. It really shouldn't go down or at least not go down as fast as it does.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Speedball posted:

The jammers and signal trackers are such liabilities to the militia it's great. Seeing a group of ten men scream and whine, loudly, about how the radio's splitting their skulls open when you sabotage it is funny as hell.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but the homing device is basically worthless. It really shouldn't go down or at least not go down as fast as it does.

Yeah, maybe if it homed in on you about five seconds faster...

poptart_fairy posted:

The jammers and signal trackers are such liabilities to the militia it's great. Seeing a group of ten men scream and whine, loudly, about how the radio's splitting their skulls open when you sabotage it is funny as hell.

I like getting close to drone controllers and hacking their drone and then zapping them with their own drone. Everyone else freaks that the drone turned on its master!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Speedball posted:

the Knight unleashes guys in suits that prevent you from using detective mode too during his boss fight.

It's hilarious just casually sabotaging their suits so you can see them, then stalking them as the Knight gloats about how you're blind and don't know where the militia are.

It was fun how the Knight's attempts to taunt Batman about how he was superior (I own the skies, this isn't your city anymore, these tanks are gonna swarm you etc) became more frustrated as time goes on and not only is Batman surviving, but he's tearing the militia apart.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jerusalem posted:

I was just given a single code that said it was for the game + Harley DLC, should there have been an extra standalone code?

yes

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Jerusalem posted:

Yes, there's a specific code for the Harley DLC as it has to be downloaded and installed separately.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jerusalem posted:

It was fun how the Knight's attempts to taunt Batman about how he was superior (I own the skies, this isn't your city anymore, these tanks are gonna swarm you etc) became more frustrated as time goes on and not only is Batman surviving, but he's tearing the militia apart.

I draw out the Knight in open world stuff for as long as I can because of that. Clearing everything you can before Slade takes over leads to him basically screaming and losing his poo poo over the smallest stuff.

Speedball posted:

I like getting close to drone controllers and hacking their drone and then zapping them with their own drone. Everyone else freaks that the drone turned on its master!

I take a sadistic pleasure in leaving the drone and its controller until last. When they become aware they're alone they ditch the drone and flip out, heart beat shooting right up to the "terrified" bracket.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Some people seem to think that Calendar Man is the one who blew up Wayne Manor at the end, given that he's at the beginning of the game and at the end near Wayne Manor, as he said he would be in Arkham City. But then that raises the obvious question of what the Knightfall Protocol is supposed to be.

Personally, I don't follow that theory.

Yes, I'm sure that Calendar Man is going to be the big villain in the next game, that makes sense and isn't stupid

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

From the PYF glitch thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj5_xbC_eUk

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Kin posted:

Now a really do wish that the DLC took each of these areas, properly modelled them and made them explorable with missions.

Holy poo poo yes. There's no more room in that big cell in the GCPD. Stick everybody in one of those rooms from Asylum where it's just a huge room with nothing but cells, so they can all still poo poo talk each other. I'd be happy with that, but if they wanted to properly recreate and update the entire map from AA and add in new poo poo? There's no way we get anything that cool.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Perry Normal posted:

Holy poo poo yes. There's no more room in that big cell in the GCPD.
Yes there is. I want Penguin's face pressed against the glass because Batman felt ambitious and threw Anarky, Clock King, and Humpty Dumpty in all at the same time.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Exactly. Massive over crowding. Just cram the new villains in there on top of the old ones. :colbert:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm starting to notice something I hadn't seen mentioned. Later on in the story, it looks like lots of billboard art has changed and is directed right at Batman. Anyone else seeing this?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

chaosapiant posted:

I'm starting to notice something I hadn't seen mentioned. Later on in the story, it looks like lots of billboard art has changed and is directed right at Batman. Anyone else seeing this?

Yes. It's plot-related.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

chaosapiant posted:

Yeah. It had the intended effect because I saw one of the billboards, looked away, looked back, and it was back to normal. Rocksteady always does such a fantastic job just stuffing the gameworld to the gills with visual easter eggs.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CuwiKhons posted:

Yes, there's a specific code for the Harley DLC as it has to be downloaded and installed separately.

Goddammit :mad:

Edit: Looks like there was a mix-up with Warner Brothers and they didn't send out the code till later, and it ended up in Google's stupid "social" setting that not a single person on the planet ever looks at! Now I can be disappointed in the DLC like everybody else :)

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 14, 2015

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Goddammit :mad:

Edit: Looks like there was a mix-up with Warner Brothers and they didn't send out the code till later, and it ended up in Google's stupid "social" setting that not a single person on the planet ever looks at! Now I can be disappointed in the DLC like everybody else :)

You sure can! It's the pits unless you really like Harley (I do really like Harley and it was still awful) and you really want some characterization for her that's never going to pan out.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

chaosapiant posted:

Look at statues as well. :haw:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Batgirl DLC up on EU PSN. Downloading now.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

Look at statues as well. :haw:

Yeah, some of those faces were pretty freaky deaky

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
So what's going on in the 100% ending? Batman (Bruce? a replacement?) is using fear toxin on people now?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ImpAtom posted:

It's not worthless, it's great for luring enemies to a location.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
OK so I'm heading to bed and will finish the DLC tomorrow morning but so far it doesn't seem that bad. While it's probably not huge (I think I'm about halfway through after a couple of hours or so) there's a decent variety of combat and predator encounters. The "hacking" gimmick Batgirl has was way overstated, mostly amounting to remote takedowns and distractions and so on, but she feels different from Batman - quicker and much more nimble but she also requires special abilities and gadgets to put enemies down with any real speed.

Dialogue between her and Robin is fun if a bit cliche. Goon dialogue is amazing though and you have to let them talk uninterrupted, especially in a certain predator room where a hostage is strung up. :allears:

As a minor aside the problems Arkham City had with Catwoman aren't there. I haven't heard any goon taunts refer to Batgirl as a bitch (I haven't died though...) and the only vaguely sexual thing I can recall is a couple of them mockingly talking about how they won't bite unless she asks them to, an attitude that's quickly replaced with pants making GBS threads terror as you beat on more of them. :v:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

poptart_fairy posted:

OK so I'm heading to bed and will finish the DLC tomorrow morning but so far it doesn't seem that bad. While it's probably not huge (I think I'm about halfway through after a couple of hours or so) there's a decent variety of combat and predator encounters. The "hacking" gimmick Batgirl has was way overstated, mostly amounting to remote takedowns and distractions and so on, but she feels different from Batman - quicker and much more nimble but she also requires special abilities and gadgets to put enemies down with any real speed.

Dialogue between her and Robin is fun if a bit cliche. Goon dialogue is amazing though and you have to let them talk uninterrupted, especially in a certain predator room where a hostage is strung up. :allears:

As a minor aside the problems Arkham City had with Catwoman aren't there. I haven't heard any goon taunts refer to Batgirl as a bitch (I haven't died though...) and the only vaguely sexual thing I can recall is a couple of them mockingly talking about how they won't bite unless she asks them to, an attitude that's quickly replaced with pants making GBS threads terror as you beat on more of them. :v:

Sounds like everything I could've hoped for barring them using the wrong Robin. I wish I lived in Europe.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I saw a stream for the dlc. It seemed okay. Batgirl has cool animations

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I still don't get why people were so upset about violent, murderous thugs using a...gasp...gendered insult in Arkham City. That seems like the exact kind of thing poo poo heads like the thugs in these games would do, right up until Catwoman beat them senseless.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Logically I would agree with you, but somehow it is off putting. I just played AC again and it still felt weird.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

I still don't get why people were so upset about violent, murderous thugs using a...gasp...gendered insult in Arkham City. That seems like the exact kind of thing poo poo heads like the thugs in these games would do, right up until Catwoman beat them senseless.

I don't play a game in which I fly around a city as a crazy man dressed like a bat beating up other crazy people for the realism. It's off putting and uncomfortable.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CuwiKhons posted:

I don't play a game in which I fly around a city as a crazy man dressed like a bat beating up other crazy people for the realism. It's off putting and uncomfortable.

I'm not even talking about realism. It's completely in character for some stupid rear end in a top hat who's going "Remember, if you see the Batman, just shout and charge him, works every time!" to be calling Catwoman a bitch and hitting on her. They're scumbag idiots, doing scumbag idiot things and then getting various boots in their asses for it.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Because I play videogames for pretty princess dress up, what skins does the DLC come with?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm not even talking about realism. It's completely in character for some stupid rear end in a top hat who's going "Remember, if you see the Batman, just shout and charge him, works every time!" to be calling Catwoman a bitch and hitting on her. They're scumbag idiots, doing scumbag idiot things and then getting various boots in their asses for it.

When you say it's "in character" for violent criminals to act that way, it's just another way of saying it's "realistic" and again, I don't loving care. Do you really not understand that as a woman, I don't want to hear people call Catwoman a bitch or talk about how much they want to do her or Harley in every single line they say? I play video games for escapism, not to be reminded that people like that are extremely real.

I know they're scumbag thugs - I know that because they're in Arkham City talking about the criminals they work for and the people they've murdered. I don't need the writers to add "misogynists" to the list to make me want to stomp on their heads. I'm Batman, I'm already going to stomp on their heads even if they're standing around talking about how much they like puppies. Maybe it makes some men feel better to hear the thugs talk that way and then kick their teeth in, thinking to themselves "I'd never talk to a woman that way!" but as a woman it's just loving tiring. And obviously I can't speak for all women and maybe some of them were fine with it, in much the same way that I know there were a lot of guys who were uncomfortable with it. But don't act like we're crazy for getting irritated by it.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

CuwiKhons posted:

When you say it's "in character" for violent criminals to act that way, it's just another way of saying it's "realistic" and again, I don't loving care. Do you really not understand that as a woman, I don't want to hear people call Catwoman a bitch or talk about how much they want to do her or Harley in every single line they say? I play video games for escapism, not to be reminded that people like that are extremely real.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

CuwiKhons posted:

I know they're scumbag thugs - I know that because they're in Arkham City talking about the criminals they work for and the people they've murdered. I don't need the writers to add "misogynists" to the list to make me want to stomp on their heads. I'm Batman, I'm already going to stomp on their heads even if they're standing around talking about how much they like puppies. Maybe it makes some men feel better to hear the thugs talk that way and then kick their teeth in, thinking to themselves "I'd never talk to a woman that way!" but as a woman it's just loving tiring. And obviously I can't speak for all women and maybe some of them were fine with it, in much the same way that I know there were a lot of guys who were uncomfortable with it. But don't act like we're crazy for getting irritated by it.

After reading this half of your post, I have to ask: is "bitch" the equivalent of "I drowned puppies" in general? That is, would you say that calling a female character a bitch instills the same sort of disdain (maybe not in amount, but in quality) as the general "but, but, I killed a bunch of puppies"? That is, does it just come across as "b-but look at how bad a villain t his guy is!"

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

QuantumNinja posted:

After reading this half of your post, I have to ask: is "bitch" the equivalent of "I drowned puppies" in general? That is, would you say that calling a female character a bitch instills the same sort of disdain (maybe not in amount, but in quality) as the general "but, but, I killed a bunch of puppies"? That is, does it just come across as "b-but look at how bad a villain t his guy is!"

It does indeed feel like a cheap way to mark out somebody as the designated bad guy, but it also feels like a way of trying to make the world more grim and gritty and "realistic". Somebody saying "I drown puppies" just sounds like a cartoon, even if people really do drown puppies in real life. But calling a woman a bitch is something that happens all day every day so you know they're the bad guy but they feel like a more "real" bad guy. I don't even mind one or two thugs saying bitch in much the same way that I wouldn't mind one or two thugs calling Batman a bitch. People cuss and insult each other. Whatever.

The difference is that nearly every single line of thug dialogue relating to Catwoman (and in many cases, Harley), contains the word "bitch".

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TheJoker138 posted:

Because 50% of the dialogue towards Catwoman is "You bitching bitch of a bitch" while the other 50% is something to the extent of "I sure want to rape you, Catwoman."

It's really awkward to listen to.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
*thinks about what Waylon Smithers being gay means to him*

I would think that beating up the douchey guys would be really satisfying, much as how I enjoy beating up the people who say "Batman isn't tough!", but to each their own.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Honestly, I'm seeing more "Why does this upset you, it's realistic" type of opinions these days than actual complaining about the sexism - it was complained about, Rocksteady apparently heard the complains and strived to do better, the topic is settled. The actual objection to the Arkham City stuff has been explained plenty of times at length; if after reading up on it you still don't get it, I suggest you accept simply that it upset a lot of people, no deep understanding of the "why" required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

lmao. Yes this is fun for women to be reminded of

• Locked thread