Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

The prosecutor is either Edgeworth's ancestor or a von Karma ancestor.

Unless something very surprising happens in the endgame (I am just past chapter 3), he most certainly isn't.

There is one other possible connection to an original trilogy character revealed fairly early in the game, but it's not an obvious "acts and looks the same" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Dr Pepper posted:

Will Maya be coming back.

Yes.

In Project X Zone 2.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Huh, I'm glancing at the neogaf thread for DGS, and apparently this isn't intended as a one-off. Would be really annoying if they didn't localize it in that case.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Motto posted:

Larry or whoever but in a period outfit.

Now I'm imagining Larry in an Elizabethan costume and it is a good thought.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Motto posted:

Speaking of which, do any characters in DGS aside from Payne do the "ancestor from generations back looks and acts exactly like their descendant" bit? Because that's was one of my biggest fears about the game. Taking place in another country from the other AA games made this a bit unlikely, but still.

This is like, the whole point of Japanese sidestory games that take place in the past, if you've never noticed.

Dr Pepper posted:

He doesn't really look like Phoenix though.

His name is "Naruhodo Ryunosuke," which is like, slightly different from his regular name of "Naruhodo Ryuichi" except it's a variation that sounds like a name someone would have in the Meiji period.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Now I'm imagining Larry in an Elizabethan costume and it is a good thought.

From Layton vs. Wright concept art:

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

This is like, the whole point of Japanese sidestory games that take place in the past, if you've never noticed.

Sure, but to its credit, the game doesn't go overboard with it. There's Naruhodo and Auchi (Payne), but that's it. We don't get an ancestor from the Ayasato family as an assistant, a Yahari ancestor as a best friend, or a Itonokogiri ancestor as a policeman - the game has brand new characters for all of those roles, and also for the first chapter's witnesses and such. Even the judge looks absolutely nothing like his modern counterpart (although he has a similar attitude to the proceedings).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I almost wish it was just the literal same judge, and he's just been old and not especially great at being a judge forever.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

orenronen posted:

Sure, but to its credit, the game doesn't go overboard with it. There's Naruhodo and Auchi (Payne), but that's it. We don't get an ancestor from the Ayasato family as an assistant, a Yahari ancestor as a best friend, or a Itonokogiri ancestor as a policeman - the game has brand new characters for all of those roles, and also for the first chapter's witnesses and such. Even the judge looks absolutely nothing like his modern counterpart (although he has a similar attitude to the proceedings).

Yeah, this is what I was hoping for. Having a few characters like that and Ryūnosuke being similar to Phoenix is fine, I just didn't want the game to lean really hard on that to the point that the game failed to have its own identity, especially since what I've read points to Dai Gyakuten Saiban being a new spinoff line in the vein of Investigations rather than a one-off, which would be a setup I'd be really happy with: Takumi handling an Ace Attorney line with a new setting and cast while the AA5 guys continue their spin on the present-day version of AA we know and love with the newly established three-Attorney Wright & Co. team.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 14, 2015

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

orenronen posted:

Oh, that's kind of surprising. I was guessing everyone would be like most of these games that I've played where it's just the same cast except in period costumes.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Lord of Hats posted:

I almost wish it was just the literal same judge, and he's just been old and not especially great at being a judge forever.

The Judge has always existed and will forever exist.

orenronen posted:

It took me a minute to deduce who these guys were.

Just not the same without the oddly asian L.A.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Judge may well be the best AA character. I am still surprised he is yet to be a defendant.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The Judge may well be the best AA character. I am still surprised he is yet to be a defendant.

You do cross-examine him in one of the AAI games.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

But then... who would be the judge????

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ammat The Ankh posted:

His Canadian brother, of course.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012
Juniper should have graduated law high school by the time AA6 rolls around, right?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah.

So she should be in law college. In a lawyer sorority that's rivals with the prosecutor sorority.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Lawyer boy! Come out and plaaaaaaaaaay!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I hope that Wendy Oldbag helps Ryu and Sherlock on a case

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

It took me a minute to deduce who these guys were.

Imagine my pain.

I originally played 1-4 in English, but the Japanese version is much fresher in my mind. Everything past 4 I only played in Japanese. Most of the time I don't know who the hell you're talking about.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

orenronen posted:

I originally played 1-4 in English, but the Japanese version is much fresher in my mind. Everything past 4 I only played in Japanese.

I'm sorry for your loss.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

alcharagia posted:

I'm sorry for your loss.

He's sorry for our lottas so it's ok

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

People are doing a fan translation of Fire Emblem If

:psyduck:

Maybe they're afraid the English release will cut some things. I dunno.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

:psyduck:

Maybe they're afraid the English release will cut some things. I dunno.

To be fair they really likely will or it'll be the first M rated Nintendo game out here in a long, long while (depending on how you count Bayonetta 2)

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Well, #FE is also supposed to be M-Rated. Don't actually know if that's meaningful at all to this conversation, I just thought it'd be a nice little factoid.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

...You say this in the thread for a Nintendo-exclusive game that got an M. :v:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

To be fair they really likely will or it'll be the first M rated Nintendo game out here in a long, long while (depending on how you count Bayonetta 2)

Phoenix Wright was not that long ago.

e: f;b

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

...You say this in the thread for a Nintendo-exclusive game that got an M. :v:

Strange Quark posted:

Phoenix Wright was not that long ago.

e: f;b

Mm yes Nintendo published Phoenix Wright how could I have forgotten

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Mm yes Nintendo published Phoenix Wright how could I have forgotten

They are the publishers and partial owners of the new Fatal Frame though, if you want an upcoming example.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wait how did this game get rated M?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Probably the shot of young Athena covered in blood, plus her being accused of killing her mother as a child.

Comedy answer: A gay person.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The whale in the DLC case is nude except for the pirate hat.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Junpei Hyde posted:

Probably the shot of young Athena covered in blood, plus her being accused of killing her mother as a child.

Comedy answer: A gay person.

Also the implication that said murder occurred by her mother being ripped apart by the robot arms or whatever.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Plus the first case opens with a bombing that does rather evoke a terrorist attack, completely with animated cutscene. That probably didn't do it any favours Stateside.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Ometeotl posted:

Also the implication that said murder occurred by her mother being ripped apart by the robot arms or whatever.

This was super unsettling when I got to that part. :(

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
Every ace attorney game is rated M, no? What with all the blood and onscreen murdering.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ddddddffdfddddfddf posted:

Every ace attorney game is rated M, no? What with all the blood and onscreen murdering.

Prior to Dual Destinies they got T ratings. I believe PEGI ratings were from 12-16, I forget.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Astro Nut posted:

Plus the first case opens with a bombing that does rather evoke a terrorist attack, completely with animated cutscene. That probably didn't do it any favours Stateside.

Honestly it's probably this more than the listed events of the end cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also, Athena asked Apollo if he was into bondage and such deviancy cannot be allowed to be seen by children.

• Locked thread