Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I'm curious about something, there used to be a keyboard combination you could input to get control over the video streaming settings on netflix, I used to use it to stop netflix from streaming in anything but the highest bitrate available, but it looks like they disabled it a while back. Is there a way to do it now or is it just gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LogisticEarth posted:

Yeah, the "twist" took all the interest out of the show. It was like trading off the whole premise for a cheap shock reveal. For those not looking to waste time with it:

The ship is actually still on Earth. It's just a big enclosed environment and everyone just thinks they're in space. The outside world in 2014 or whenever is exactly unchanged. The purpose of the mission, unbeknownst to the crew, is to breed a new level of human capable of warping people across the universe with psychokinetic powers or something. The miniseries ends on a cliffhanger and not much is resolved. The premise had some potential but it looks like it got gutted and reworked too many times to be a coherent experience.

The plot twist at the very end was pretty neat but totally not worth the experience of sitting through the entire series to get there.

Fortunately I found it an easy show to run in the background while I was editing / grading papers.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

cat doter posted:

I'm curious about something, there used to be a keyboard combination you could input to get control over the video streaming settings on netflix, I used to use it to stop netflix from streaming in anything but the highest bitrate available, but it looks like they disabled it a while back. Is there a way to do it now or is it just gone?

ctrl+shift+alt+s still brings up stream options for me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

hope and vaseline posted:

I had no idea about this.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah, here's a list of more shortcuts also. https://markwarren.wordpress.com/2010/03/24/netflix-movie-player-keyboard-shortcuts/ Not all of them work anymore though, just saw the article's 5 years old, but stuff like logging and av stats still do.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 13, 2015

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

Huh, neat. I think the old method I used was alt+shift then click in the player window. There's no reason why I shouldn't just set it to 3mbit/sec from the get go, I have much more bandwidth than that. Dunno why netflix always starts it at the lowest qualiy.

screamname
Apr 6, 2015
Netflix emailed me to tell me Petes dragon was now on.
Thanks Netflix :colbert::colbert::colbert:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Employee of the Month was about as dull and unfunny as I remember it being. That clubhouse they had up in the shelves was pretty sweet though, so there was at least one cool thing about it.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 14, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Employee of the Month was about as dull and unfunny as I remember it being. That clubhouse they had up in the shelves was pretty sweet though, so there was at least one cool thing about it.

This is literally the only thing I remember about that movie.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Conversation is up. It was the first movie Francis Ford Coppola released in 1974, and it's a knockout. Gene Hackman plays a secretive, socially-awkward surveillance worker who becomes curious about a conversation he's paid to snoop on. It touches on a lot of themes, including religion and moral quandaries presented by such a job, and the stuff about surveillance still holds up to this day. The cinematography is great, in a subtle, unflashy way. Hackman's character is very well-drawn and, of course, well-acted. Plus, Harrison Ford before he was popular! Give it a go if you're in the mood for a great 70's thriller.

It's a great movie that perfectly captures the paranoia people felt towards the government post-watergate, yet it has a timeless quality and none of it seems dated (except the actual technology.)

Just for fun watch Enemy of the State first, and then pretend the Conversation is a prequel.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I managed to find the time to burn through some of my list this past weekend.

I loved Michael Shannon in Take Shelter, and Nicholas Hoult in Fury Road, so I decided to check out The Young Ones. It's a gorgeously shot western with a dystopian sci-fi setting where all the water has dried up. Some of the barren landscapes reminded me of There Will Be Blood, and a really great deal-gone-wrong scene. I enjoyed it a lot, although the plot and characters felt a little thin for the length of the movie. It also has a cool structure of three acts, each one focusing on a different character.

I also watched Detention and loved it. Just watch it blind.

The Third Man is amazing, what a beautiful movie. Orson Welles is perfect in this, and the chase scene in the sewers was incredible. I know the zither soundtrack is sort of famous but I did find it wore on me a bit.

recently I was in the mood for something weird, so I went through Daywatch and Nightwatch. The plot was pretty weak but the strangeness of everything kept me hooked. Not sure how soon I'd go back to these though.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Seconding that Young Ones is dope.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Netflix has The Net
Gods perfect movie.
4:3 format,
Bullock finds wolfenstien 3d has a virus if you hit escape for a blank check,
Is there a older version called "The Mail" about a shut in who has their life ruined because they have their mail read?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Junkie Disease posted:

Netflix has The Net
Gods perfect movie.
4:3 format,
Bullock finds wolfenstien 3d has a virus if you hit escape for a blank check,
Is there a older version called "The Mail" about a shut in who has their life ruined because they have their mail read?

Oh hell yeah, I've been meaning to watch The Net for awhile.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blisster posted:

The Third Man is amazing, what a beautiful movie. Orson Welles is perfect in this, and the chase scene in the sewers was incredible. I know the zither soundtrack is sort of famous but I did find it wore on me a bit.

drat you for getting my hopes up that this was on Netflix. :mad:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

Where do you live? The restoration is touring as we speak.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Where do you live? The restoration is touring as we speak.

Goddamn, it was in LA just a week and a half ago. I never heard about it. :sigh:

Maybe it'll come back though, I mean, it's LA.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

screamname posted:

Netflix emailed me to tell me Petes dragon was now on.
Thanks Netflix :colbert::colbert::colbert:

Are you in the U.S. because I can't find it and I watched that poo poo everyday as a kid.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Blisster posted:

I loved Michael Shannon in Take Shelter, and Nicholas Hoult in Fury Road, so I decided to check out The Young Ones.

If you liked Nicholas Hoult you should really watch the first two seasons of the UK series Skins. It's like a bit of an edgier, slicker Degrassi.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skins_(UK_TV_series)

Hannah Murray is also on those first couple seasons - she's on Game of Thrones as Gilly.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

precision posted:

I live in Canada, maybe Netflix only has it here?

I usually stick with movies, but Nicholas Hoult is definitely becoming a favourite actor of mine, I'll have to look into Skins.

Oh, totally forgot about Holy Motors. Really not sure how I felt about that one. Some of the sequences are really beautiful but something about the movie just didn't click with me.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Blisster posted:

Oh, totally forgot about Holy Motors. Really not sure how I felt about that one. Some of the sequences are really beautiful but something about the movie just didn't click with me.

The more I think about Holy Motors, the more I dislike it. Once you come up with a reading of the film, it suddenly becomes a lot less interesting because most of the mystery is gone. It also completely front-loads itself with the best stuff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blisster posted:

I usually stick with movies, but Nicholas Hoult is definitely becoming a favourite actor of mine, I'll have to look into Skins.

The first two series/seasons of Skins are great. Then there's a massive drop in quality but 3 and 4 are still alright. You can stop there.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This is literally the only thing I remember about that movie.

You aren't the first person I've heard that from, it's about the only memorable part of it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

You aren't the first person I've heard that from, it's about the only memorable part of it.

I only remember Dax Shepherd asking a fat character "Do they call you Semi because you're the size of a Semi, or because you're semi-retarded?"

I like Dax Shepherd. I know he doesn't have a wide acting range, but I wish the guy got more work.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The more I think about Holy Motors, the more I dislike it. Once you come up with a reading of the film, it suddenly becomes a lot less interesting because most of the mystery is gone. It also completely front-loads itself with the best stuff.

I really like this movie but if I was being completely honest its goodwill rests a lot on the kick-rear end accordion train in the Intermission. The rest of the movie works for me except the very end when the cars are talking to each other in the garage. I just don't even know what that's going for.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Just watched it the other day. Great movie.
I've always felt that Bulworth ought to be shown in a double feature with the Dustin Hoffman movie (Accidental) Hero, to really distill the essence. Hero is one of those movies that can choke me up just watching it on mute, if I happen to walk into a screen showing the wrongright scene.

I'd throw in Wag the Dog, but it is kind of the natural progression of those movies toward WtD.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 15, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was certainly vaguely aware of Bulworth and even some vague details (Warren Beatty rapping or something) but when I watched it the other night, I was really unprepared for just how, uh... how far it goes with the concept. Sometimes it's uncomfortably embarrassing, and sometimes it's absolutely loving brilliant, often within the same scene. It's definitely worth watching.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

precision posted:

I was certainly vaguely aware of Bulworth and even some vague details (Warren Beatty rapping or something) but when I watched it the other night, I was really unprepared for just how, uh... how far it goes with the concept. Sometimes it's uncomfortably embarrassing, and sometimes it's absolutely loving brilliant, often within the same scene. It's definitely worth watching.
I actually was intending on re-watching it because I remembered it being that good, but goddamn I forgot just how hard and fast this movie brings it - and it never lets off.

It certainly doesn't hit every mark, but it tries like a motherfucker and mainly succeeds, and regularly does knock it out of the park.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Faults is pretty solid, check it out. The ending was a little dumb but overall I liked it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
You know, if you're willing to suspend your disbelief and roll with it Burn Notice is pretty drat fun. The first three seasons or so have fantastic car stunts and explosions. It is a pretty good show for turning off your brain and having some basic fun. Really my only major complaint is that Fiona suffers from a rather extreme case of plot-convenient retardation. Also the show quality dips pretty strongly around season 4 or so when they switch to absolutely terrible CGI.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I watched Mystic River yesterday (not sure if it's on US netflix, I'm Australian) since it's one of the many movies on my "will get around to it" list. I've liked a few of Clint Eastwood's films, Changeling and Gran Torino mostly. This one...not so much. I mean on the surface there's elements of a decent story, good actors, decent direction, but it ends up being less than the sum of its parts. I couldn't shake the sense of "this isn't really coming together" the whole time. Plus, there's major problems with the script. Some characters speak like other characters right down to the phrasing, there's some really on the nose "I'm summing up the story so far" lines of dialogue, subplots that just sorta happen and don't really go anywhere, and a scene that feels like something someone forgot to delete, it was so bad it felt like a bad joke.

About the only thing I liked about it was the acting, but even then some of the performances were a little too...theatrical, if that makes sense.

Mystic River isn't very good.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Chichevache posted:

You know, if you're willing to suspend your disbelief and roll with it Burn Notice is pretty drat fun. The first three seasons or so have fantastic car stunts and explosions. It is a pretty good show for turning off your brain and having some basic fun. Really my only major complaint is that Fiona suffers from a rather extreme case of plot-convenient retardation. Also the show quality dips pretty strongly around season 4 or so when they switch to absolutely terrible CGI.

Yeah, but in season 5 they bring in Jere Burns (Anson) who is almost as awesome a villain as Tim Matheson (Larry)!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

cat doter posted:

Plus, there's major problems with the script. Some characters speak like other characters right down to the phrasing, there's some really on the nose "I'm summing up the story so far" lines of dialogue, subplots that just sorta happen and don't really go anywhere, and a scene that feels like something someone forgot to delete, it was so bad it felt like a bad joke.

I've never seen the movie but when I tried reading the book I bailed like a third of the way through for these very reasons, the writing was awful.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

precision posted:

The first two series/seasons of Skins are great. Then there's a massive drop in quality but 3 and 4 are still alright. You can stop there.

For sure, I meant to append my post with this. 3 and 4 are still pretty good but 5 and 6 are forgettable at best. Season 7 is the TV version of leprosy and especially the stuff with Effy and Cass are laughably horrible and just ruins the characters. Avoid Skins season 7 at all costs. Same with the American remake of Season 1, just the worst.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

cat doter posted:

About the only thing I liked about it was the acting, but even then some of the performances were a little too...theatrical, if that makes sense.

I've never understood Sean Penn winning the Oscar for that performance, especially over Bill Murray in Lost in Translation. Hell, I'd have given it to Johnny Depp for Pirates of the Caribbean over Sean Penn.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Parachute posted:

Yeah, but in season 5 they bring in Jere Burns (Anson) who is almost as awesome a villain as Tim Matheson (Larry)!

Yeah, Larry and Anson absolutely make up for a lot of the poor quality. Plus the addition of Jesse Porter (actor Coby Bell) really gives the show a nice new dynamic. He has fantastic chemistry with everyone on the show, except for the absolutely terrible Fiona ("actress" Gabrielle Anwar).

If you manage to make it all the way to season 6 they add John C. McGinley as well!:allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

flashy_mcflash posted:

For sure, I meant to append my post with this. 3 and 4 are still pretty good but 5 and 6 are forgettable at best. Season 7 is the TV version of leprosy and especially the stuff with Effy and Cass are laughably horrible and just ruins the characters. Avoid Skins season 7 at all costs. Same with the American remake of Season 1, just the worst.

Season 7 is so bad, they bring back one of the best characters, for a plot that literally invalidates everything that happened to her (and thus, every reason the audience liked her) from seasons 1 and 2. Just dogshite.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Sand Monster posted:

I've never understood Sean Penn winning the Oscar for that performance, especially over Bill Murray in Lost in Translation. Hell, I'd have given it to Johnny Depp for Pirates of the Caribbean over Sean Penn.

It feels like a movie that's trying to be grounded, realistic, with naturalistic performances, then there's these weird bursts of over the top emoting and really obvious "hey this dude's caraaaaaazy~~~" acting and in general the whole movie is a huge mess.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
When's The Guest gonna pop up on Netlix? Next week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, Larry and Anson absolutely make up for a lot of the poor quality. Plus the addition of Jesse Porter (actor Coby Bell) really gives the show a nice new dynamic. He has fantastic chemistry with everyone on the show, except for the absolutely terrible Fiona ("actress" Gabrielle Anwar).

If you manage to make it all the way to season 6 they add John C. McGinley as well!:allears:

Burn Notice is a really fun show to watch, just don't watch a bunch at once, since it's pretty formulaic. However it does have Bruce Campbell just being awesome the entire time.

The last season is a decent uptick in quality, I think it suffered from constantly being almost canceled so they keep wrapping things up and then it gets renewed and each season begins with "HERE WE GO AGAIN! There's another secret spy organization behind the secret spy organization we killed last week".

I also like how there's no real bones about not killing the bad guys. They aren't Punisher levels of killing, but they kill the bad guys when necessary.

It has Garret Dillahunt as a mentally unstable parallel to Michael, and he's incredible.

Another thing I like about it (as you can tell I really like Burn Notice) is the cameos by minor TV character actors. I'm a huge fan of those guys, and it's nice to see them pop up and get killed. I know it's pretty common for cable shows to have these guest stars, but I love it when like the girl from Veronica Mars shows up and it's like "Oh, its her!"