Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Deadpool posted:

They've had a Venom book for years. Ultimate Spider-Man has been uninterrupted since 2000. Silk and Spider-Gwen were announced well before they got the rights back. Carnage has had so many minis that you could say he's pretty much had an ongoing of sorts for years. Spider-Woman is pretty much completely disconnected from all the other Spider-Man stuff now that Spider-Verse is over. So really the only additions here are Web Warriors and Spidey. And only one of those has Peter in it.

Well yeah but if you ignore all that it looks mighty suspicious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I mean, they're obviously putting a lot of effort toward building up properties they fully control, like Captain Marvel and the Inhumans. But for everything with licensed rights, I think that the worst you could argue is that they just don't care. The Fantastic Four seem like Dr. Strange: everyone has an idea for them that won't work; Marvel's finally decided to let them sit awhile until they get an idea that does work. The X-Men look like they're just kind of there in the post-SW landscape, their nth roster rearrangement and nothing more creatively interesting than two new Wolverines.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, I don't think they're burying the F4 as some passive-agressive swipe at Fox, since the new launch has three or four X-Men titles. I think it's just no one buys Fantastic Four comics. Johnny and Ben are on different teams, and I bet Sue and Reed and the kids are going to show up too.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Deadpool posted:

Well Spider-Man/Deadpool isn't an ongoing and I'd be surprised if Carnage makes it past 12 issues.

I didn't think Carnage was a big enough deal to even get his own series.

Then again, I haven't really read anything not Ultimate in...10 years?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aces High posted:

I didn't think Carnage was a big enough deal to even get his own series.

He's gotten a bunch of minis in the past few years, each one at least decent, and they sold pretty ok. Casual readers still think of him as pretty important as far as Spidey villains go. Makes sense to me.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
According to Jordan D. White Spider-Man/Deadpool is in fact an ongoing

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I don't think they're burying the F4 as some passive-agressive swipe at Fox,

it is super a passive-aggressive swipe at Fox just not from anyone who actually works at Marvel Comics

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Kelp Plankton posted:

Spider-Man/Deadpool got announced so that brings us up to 10 spider-related ongoings
Spider-Verse

Hold on, are you just referring to the Secret Wars mini, which I assume will be over when Secret Wars ends? Or is there actually some sort of Spider-verse ongoing after that?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I don't think they're burying the F4 as some passive-agressive swipe at Fox, since the new launch has three or four X-Men titles. I think it's just no one buys Fantastic Four comics. Johnny and Ben are on different teams, and I bet Sue and Reed and the kids are going to show up too.

Marvel are currently going around and removing all references to Fantastic Four from all of their media. It's not just a one thing.

And I will legit be surprised if Doom and Reed aren't taken off the table for a while with Secret Wars.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Argue posted:

Hold on, are you just referring to the Secret Wars mini, which I assume will be over when Secret Wars ends? Or is there actually some sort of Spider-verse ongoing after that?

Web Warriors, by the same writer as the Secret Wars mini.

Also really surprised to see Spider-Man/Deadpool confirmed as an ongoing.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Waterhaul posted:

Marvel are currently going around and removing all references to Fantastic Four from all of their media. It's not just a one thing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
And who do you think is preventing people from getting those licensing rights and why

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Marvel are going around doing dumb things like removing the Fantastic Four logo from the Bagman costume on the free-play mobile game Spider-Man Unlimited, despite it having already been there for months. They haven't mysteriously lost rights within the last few weeks/months. And that ignores the legion of other companies confirming the same (like not letting them use FF characters for Mondo Posters or cancelling collectible figures being made AFTER they had already commissioned them and sorted out licensing). Brevoort has always regurgitated company PR statements and already let slip that they just don't care for stuff they don't own film rights anyway.

Like Fox own film rights, they don't own comic or merchandising rights for FF or X-Men.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And the FF are a minor property in the comics at this point. They've only ever had a single modest-selling ongoing, and they've been pretty much overshadowed by the X-Men and Avengers for decades, so unlike the mutants, which are still a keystone of the print line, Marvel can kinda just quietly shuffle the characters off into other franchises or into limbo for a bit without causing any issues for themselves financially.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The F4 stuff will probably all be worked out pretty soon anyway, once that terrible looking movie bombs and Marvel ends up getting the rights back.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TheJoker138 posted:

The F4 stuff will probably all be worked out pretty soon anyway, once that terrible looking movie bombs and Marvel ends up getting the rights back.

No way Fox lets those rights go

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fox is clinging to the FF rights because they need a monstrous former hero to take the Hulk's place in the Old Man Logan story.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Entertainment companies basically only exist to accumulate IPs now, because those are proven sources of infinite money. Fox can make X-men movies for the next 200 years. There's no reason to ever let go of any rights.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Counterpoint: They gave up Daredevil, and Sony was able to work out a co-production deal with Marvel with Spider-Man. Yes, as long as the movies are making money they will never do any of these things, but one of them bombing, or even getting shredded by critics and viewers like ASM2 did, seems to be all it takes for them to shift their focus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheJoker138 posted:

Counterpoint: They gave up Daredevil, and Sony was able to work out a co-production deal with Marvel with Spider-Man. Yes, as long as the movies are making money they will never do any of these things, but one of them bombing, or even getting shredded by critics and viewers like ASM2 did, seems to be all it takes for them to shift their focus.

Countercounterpoint: The relationship between Disney and Fox is akin to that of the Bloods and Crips.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Also fox actually is decent at making movies.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

notthegoatseguy posted:

Wanna repeat that on August 7?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Two Fantastic Four films, X-Men 3, X-Men Origins: Wolverine. All poo poo.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Whoa, hold on there. I didn't say they were decent at making good movies. Just that they're good at making them enough to make money. Sony clearly needs Marvel's help in making Spidey. Fox does not.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Counter point, X-men 1, X-men 2, X-men 1(Vol 2), X-men 2(Vol 2). They are really good at making decent X-mens 1 & 2.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I've really enjoyed all the Spider Man SW titles so far, but man Spider Island is pretty drat awesome. Its been my favorite of the 3.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I think it's been interesting that a recurring element in the SW Spidey books is Peter Parker abandoning/being removed from the role of Spider-Man.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

howe_sam posted:

I think it's been interesting that a recurring element in the SW Spidey books is Peter Parker abandoning/being removed from the role of Spider-Man.

I hadn't thought about that but drat that's interesting

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Also the lack of slott except in Renew your Vows, which is by far the weakest Spidey tie-in.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Also the lack of slott except in Renew your Vows, which is by far the weakest Spidey tie-in.

what does that have to do with anything

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Silver Surfer just had a Last Days tie in come out. You get to see how Eternity looks during Secret Wars (Doom's face, with only Battleworld inside him instead of an entire universe)

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

what does that have to do with anything

The other tie-ins are good. The one by Slott isn't.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

howe_sam posted:

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that 616 Spider-Man was one of the Incursion survivors. It does hold some water. There really aren't that many Battle World doubles of the other survivors either.

edit: Compared to the fact that there are, like, about two dozen different Wolverines running around.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

El Tortuga posted:

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that 616 Spider-Man was one of the Incursion survivors. It does hold some water. There really aren't that many Battle World doubles of the other survivors either.

edit: Compared to the fact that there are, like, about two dozen different Wolverines running around.

Nah, Spidey is in other books. He's Cap's main man in Civil War. And of course, the main guy in Renew Your Vows.

It looks like the only ones who there aren't multiples running around are the FF.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Codependent Poster posted:

Nah, Spidey is in other books. He's Cap's main man in Civil War. And of course, the main guy in Renew Your Vows.

It looks like the only ones who there aren't multiples running around are the FF.

Well yeah, I know he was in other books. But I was commenting on the fact that there seems to be a running theme of Peter running away from being Spider-Man, one of the few heroes that didn't die in the Incursion. And I do think it's interesting that there's not a lot of Star Lords, Reeds, T'Chalas, and the like around either.

I've seen a fair amount of Cyclops's however, although...

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Quite a few Iron Man, Tony Starks, Capt Marvel....

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

El Tortuga posted:

Well yeah, I know he was in other books. But I was commenting on the fact that there seems to be a running theme of Peter running away from being Spider-Man, one of the few heroes that didn't die in the Incursion. And I do think it's interesting that there's not a lot of Star Lords, Reeds, T'Chalas, and the like around either.

I've seen a fair amount of Cyclops's however, although...

There's a reason there are no Reeds. It's because they all died in FF except for 616 and Ultimate.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, but there only seems to be one Sue, one Val, one Ben (the Wall Shield) and one Johnny (the fake sun) as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, but there only seems to be one Sue, one Val, one Ben (the Wall Shield) and one Johnny (the fake sun) as well.

It's becoming clear that Doom did that on purpose.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

He probably sees it is a bizarre compliment. As much as he would claim they're beneath him, he considers them singular opponents/rivals/family/whatever. And while you can argue the Council of Reeds explanation for no other Reeds/Dooms, you could also see no Reed as Doom's inner conflict: He KNOWS Reeds smarter/better than him, but he cannot fathom a universe where he is not at the top of the food chain, so obviously, there can be no accursed Richards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Less did and more made sure once Battleworld was formed. If he had any say in the matter he wouldn't had spent however long he did looking for Reeds in the first place.

• Locked thread