Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hey how hard would it be to replace the martian madness music with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cvLcGNeE0M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

being able to replace a wall just by slapping another wall right on top of it loving rules

is that new to 1.3?

Yeah that is indeed loving amazing! I wish it had a toggle though (maybe it does?) because I found out by mistake and was expecting to use the old method to easily fill up my window spaces and ended up wrecking my wall a bit.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

oddium posted:

hey how hard would it be to replace the martian madness music with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cvLcGNeE0M

This page describes a way to do it. It was written for 1.2 but I seriously doubt the way the game handles music has changed so I bet it still works.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Awesome, I'd been considering building a chained demon in my base basement to set up as a power source but I wasn't too sure the scale of the blocks would work. It totally does, so thank you.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

I think I might have built the least ethical gel grinder...

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Crimson is a nice change of pace from the Corruption. Does it also have an enemy I need to be careful about leading places? Corruptors always induced a small panic when their shots hit ground outside the containment zone.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Xenaero posted:

Crimson is a nice change of pace from the Corruption. Does it also have an enemy I need to be careful about leading places? Corruptors always induced a small panic when their shots hit ground outside the containment zone.

Not anymore, and corruptors can't spread the corruption anymore anyway.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RareAcumen posted:

1. Grenades

2. a full stack of Dynamite should do you fine.

3. You may actually end up going too fast to actually see the wall.

#3 isn't true since you can set your own speed, but the problem is that if your track is flat you're going to get hit constantly with the wall's lasers and on expert that's a lot of damage. If you make the track go up and down then you run in to targeting issues.

Mzbundifund posted:

Wyverns you mean? No. They get chunked by any piercing weapon though. Get a cobalt spear or some holy arrows or something.

Golden Shower's nice for dealing with them too.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Evil Fluffy posted:

#3 isn't true since you can set your own speed, but the problem is that if your track is flat you're going to get hit constantly with the wall's lasers and on expert that's a lot of damage. If you make the track go up and down then you run in to targeting issues.

So jump.

And if you made the minetrack, you know when and how it goes up and down, so considering the Wall of Flesh, targeting isn't difficult anyway. It's got 3 big targets that only move forwards.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 14, 2015

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Mzbundifund posted:

Wyverns you mean? No. They get chunked by any piercing weapon though. Get a cobalt spear or some holy arrows or something.

I get how that works, though I was asking because I made a floating base, but it seems it's just high enough that sometimes Wyverns can spawn and come barrelling in. I thought if they flew through a magma layer I could get them fast that way, but if not is there some other kind of automated defenses that can kill Wyverns as they fly through my base?

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I would kill to have some kind of automated turrets built on my base for when enemies come near.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

A stardust dragon trivializes the dungeon even more, if you want to put exactly zero effort into killing things. Although it tends to kill all the enemies before they come on screen, so you might not actually see the Nazar drop.

Let me point out that another way of doing this is to just make a new small world, find the dungeon, kill Skeletron (normal Skeletron with any hardmode gear should take you less than a minute) and find a spot in the dungeon where Cursed Skulls spawn. I was just determined to explore every nook and cranny of the dungeon on my primary world and I found FIVE Nazars by the time I had the whole thing mapped out.

In other news, I got a Medusa Head off my 151st Medusa kill and got two Metal Detectors while doing that. I also got an Arkhalis but that took me creating fifteen Large worlds to do. You can use the Dark Lance or the Starfury, but the weapon you really want if you're determined to find the Arkhalis is the Flamelash, since its projectile constantly drops glowing particles you can just run along at full speed with the flame at the edge of the screen and it illuminates the whole ground. Of course, once you have the Flamelash or anything comparable you don't really NEED an Arkhalis. Dear God, with the right normalmode loadout (+magic damage gear) it is possible to kill the whole Eater of Worlds with one shot if you can get his whole body above ground. One of my friends on our local server was swearing that it must have been a hardmode weapon that I brought into the normal world, no, it's just that drat good.

Looking forward to having my balls bashed in over and over when I go into hardmode later today.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I get how that works, though I was asking because I made a floating base, but it seems it's just high enough that sometimes Wyverns can spawn and come barrelling in. I thought if they flew through a magma layer I could get them fast that way, but if not is there some other kind of automated defenses that can kill Wyverns as they fly through my base?

Not easily. They'll take damage from dart traps, flame traps, and spear traps, but wyverns are pretty durable and it will be very difficult to have enough of them to kill wyverns before they show up. You'd probably have better luck having enough NPCs move into your flying base to negate all the enemy spawns entirely. You'll still get them showing up during blood moons, but no other time. Sunflowers and peace candles also reduce enemy spawns, and you might be able to rig up enough spawning statues like slime statues or bat statues so that you can keep your enemy spawn slots filled up with trash mobs in contained boxes, such that even on blood moons no enemies can spawn.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I've noticed none of my characters have any time logged. I assume that's what the counter on the character select screen is supposed to be. Is this a bug or is something else going on?

Just quoting since it was at the bottom of the last page and I fear people may have missed it. I don't really care if it is hours played as that character, but if its something else I want to know.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
What's the easiest to get light source that follows you around? Placing torches sucks. And is there any getting started guide video?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Holyshoot posted:

What's the easiest to get light source that follows you around? Placing torches sucks. And is there any getting started guide video?

You can buy a mining helmet from the merchant for a few gold. Or find shine potions in chests.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

^(But a mining helmet or shine potions are good early choices)^
In case you didn't know most of the time you can just hold shift and click on a wall or block to lay down a torch. You don't even need them in your toolbar. I'm not sure of a good starting video, but the first post of this thread has a guide.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
The shadow orb from the corruption/bouncing heart thingy from the crimson are the first ones you can get but they suck. None of them before the wisp in a bottle are particularly good.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

hmm. the house thingy says this housing is invalid. is it because of the erratic shape? I don't think it's too big, at least.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

VineST posted:

hmm. the house thingy says this housing is invalid. is it because of the erratic shape? I don't think it's too big, at least.

A room for NPCs needs a door.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Azzents posted:

A room for NPCs needs a door.

Platforms are good enough.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 14, 2015

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Metrohunter posted:

I would kill to have some kind of automated turrets built on my base for when enemies come near.

Poison Dart traps do pretty well versus monsters, as for hardmode stuff, I believe the jungle temple poison darts do more damage, so take those with you once you have access to them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Also you need to have placed all the background walls yourself, in case that's a naturally generated tree fort. I wouldn't know what those actually look like since I've never gotten one in my worlds :(

Senor Candle posted:

In case you didn't know most of the time you can just hold shift and click on a wall or block to lay down a torch. You don't even need them in your toolbar.

Wait really? God dammit I had no idea :negative:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Isn't there some gaps in the backwall too, near the edges? What is the housing query telling you?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

VineST posted:

Did you update yet? Living Leaf Walls didn't work until the most recent patch.

Blackheart posted:

Isn't there some gaps in the backwall too, near the edges? What is the housing query telling you?

Those don't matter. The game gives you pretty large leeway in that regard.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So I have more then 50 silver in my inventory. Do I have to have a real house built for the merchant to show up?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Holyshoot posted:

So I have more then 50 silver in my inventory. Do I have to have a real house built for the merchant to show up?

Yes. You'll actually need two since the Guide will claim the first one you build.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Blackheart posted:

Yeah that is indeed loving amazing! I wish it had a toggle though (maybe it does?) because I found out by mistake and was expecting to use the old method to easily fill up my window spaces and ended up wrecking my wall a bit.

While I am ignorant baby in the ways of good building, I'd figure if there is no toggle than your best course of action is to hammer out where you want the windows to be, then use smart cursor. Smart cursor placement will not do the whole "knock out old wall" bit.

President Ark posted:

Not anymore, and corruptors can't spread the corruption anymore anyway.

loving sweet. I may actually hit hard mode this time around yet. I'm already as far in as I've ever been, minus an Eye kill (note to self explore deeper to pass 180 health). Gold gear didn't last very long. "I've scraped up enough for gold stuff beyond a pickaxe, now I can-ooh a meteor *builds and equips meteor set+gun, Saber and hamaxe*" Am I crazy for preferring the visual style of the Silver Armor though?

I am really, really glad my first world for 1.3 was Corruption, Iron, Silver, Gold for familiarity reasons. I got Tin instead of Copper, but the metals that matter to me are all familiar.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 14, 2015

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

VineST posted:

Stick a wall or door in the middle to cut it into two rooms and see if that fixes it? It looks borderline over-big based on what happened last time I tried to make my merchant a pyramid of riches to live in.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Section Z posted:

While I am ignorant baby in the ways of good building, I'd figure if there is no toggle than your best course of action is to hammer out where you want the windows to be, then use smart cursor. Smart cursor placement will not do the whole "knock out old wall" bit.

loving sweet. I may actually hit hard mode this time around yet. I'm already as far in as I've ever been, minus an Eye kill (note to self explore deeper to pass 180 health). Gold gear didn't last very long. "I've scraped up enough for gold stuff beyond a pickaxe, now I can-ooh a meteor *builds and equips meteor set+gun, Saber and hamaxe*" Am I crazy for preferring the visual style of the Silver Armor though?

I am really, really glad my first world for 1.3 was Corruption, Iron, Silver, Gold for familiarity reasons. I got Tin instead of Copper, but the metals that matter to me are all familiar.

I was sure my first 1.3 world was going to be pure vanilla. I got corruption, copper, iron, silver, gold, cobalt, mythril, and then broke the pattern with titanium.

After beating Golem, I went around looking for a martian invasion. I was not ready. The nurse, steampunker, mechanic, and tax collector were the only NPCs to survive. I eventually realized that the silly surface cave near my base was set up perfectly for yoyoing saucers to death. Before that, a lot more of them killed me than vice versa, though.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
So i've defeated normal mode Eye and Destroyer. Where should I be heading to next? Should I continue smashing orbs?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Asciana posted:

So i've defeated normal mode Eye and Destroyer. Where should I be heading to next? Should I continue smashing orbs?

You can go to the Dungeon at night and talk with the NPC for another boss. Clear the dungeon after and then prepare for the Wall of Flesh in hell the Underworld.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
When Hard Mode started, the diagonal corruption line was less than 500 blocks to the right of the starting point on my large map. Good job game

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Qylvaran posted:

After beating Golem, I went around looking for a martian invasion. I was not ready. The nurse, steampunker, mechanic, and tax collector were the only NPCs to survive.

My friend and I unsuspectingly let the Destroyer back to our base after one of us respawned just as the other died.

He killed every NPC we had by surfacing inside their apartment complex.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Stardust set brings you to 6, plus the Papyrus Scarab and Pygmy Necklace makes 8. If Papyrus Scarab and Necromantic Scroll stack then you can get 9.

They do. I'm running full Stardust set, Scroll, and Scarab, and i have base 8 minion count.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

When Hard Mode started, the diagonal corruption line was less than 500 blocks to the right of the starting point on my large map. Good job game

Pretty sure it always spawns in a vee shape that surrounds the middle of the map? I've never seen it do otherwise

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, what happened was the spawn wasn't centered, it was waaaay left, so it's pretty much on the right side of my base. It was so close that some of my housing is no longer valid. It cut through my hellavtor, too, so even my "save zone" didn't work. It's great that hardmode spawns enemies whose projectiles also spread corruption on top of that.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

DarthJeebus posted:

Pretty sure it always spawns in a vee shape that surrounds the middle of the map? I've never seen it do otherwise

It does weird stuff rarely, like crossing over with the hallow or being offset. Similarly in one of the throwaway worlds I made for lumber, the start point was almost in the middle of the corruption, which isn't supposed to happen. Other weird stuff that happens at worldgen is that it generates these long, flat spaces with a very shallow puddle, less than a block deep. It does make for some unique worlds I guess...

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I'm pretty sure the origin point is where you first spawned/killed the wall of flesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
It spawns in a V from where you've killed the Wall.