Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Who Dat posted:

I'm level 34 and closing in on Titan. I'm guessing that's about 1/2 way through ARR MSQ? Curious though, since Heavensward's release, are sidequests critical for leveling or can I just do MSQs and get to 50 without much fuss?

I initially levelled WHM and BLM in tandem, and never did a side quest after level 30. Granted, WHM gave me free dungeon XP whenever I wanted. I did spend time with FATEs in Costa and Coerthas though, and pounded out the last few levels with my huge allowance of leves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Who Dat posted:

I'm level 34 and closing in on Titan. I'm guessing that's about 1/2 way through ARR MSQ? Curious though, since Heavensward's release, are sidequests critical for leveling or can I just do MSQs and get to 50 without much fuss? I'm still pretty new to the game overall. Still so much stuff to do.
:psypop:

Sometimes I really wish the game would guide you just a little. For instance, I'm almost 35 and unless I did a search for it, nothing would have pointed me towards Gold Saucer or its existence, OR that I could have accessed it 20 levels ago. I was thinking it was a level 50+ thing.

I hit 47 doing mainly MSQ stuff and then I had a level 49 MSQ after that that I had to grind dungeons to get to, then the same with 49 to 50. If you feel like the MSQ is grinding already you might want to take a break from it because it just. keeps. going. I'm at 2.4 content and it feels like its taking forever, half-way through level 51 at least, but man I just want to see the expansion.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

BattleCake posted:

Anyone on Cactuar that can give me an answer? :(

i've been on cactuar since the end of closed beta and ive only seen the goon fc tag once, so I can only guess 'not very'. you're probably going to have to transfer if you want an active goon fc

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Vahalla posted:

Still kinda low though.

Dunno how bards work, but possibly due to saving resources/cooldowns for the adds? I know I can drain my MP real fast if I just dump highest potency attacks on everything as a SCH/SMN.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
Game needs more HPS checks imo. WHM 60 quest was a good example, now they just need to include it in a raid.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
For reference I was doing ~850 DPS in A1 as a bard with no food/pots/DRG. 450 DPS on that fight means either your parser is broken or your understanding of your class and rotation is fundamentally wrong.

EDIT: And yes, that was managing the adds on one side of the room

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pews posted:

Game needs more HPS checks imo. WHM 60 quest was a good example, now they just need to include it in a raid.

You mean like the 2nd trash pull in dad's cuff? :v:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You can kind of skimp on the adds in a1, you only need to kill 2 in the right spots. Leaving 2 dps on the bosses and 2 stop bombs seem like the best way to get out of that fight.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

mulodyne posted:

i've been on cactuar since the end of closed beta and ive only seen the goon fc tag once, so I can only guess 'not very'. you're probably going to have to transfer if you want an active goon fc

I've been on Cactaur since, like, November 2013, and I didn't even know there was a goon FC.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Pews posted:

I felt complete when realizing that Benediction worked on the corpse. :cheers:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Truga posted:

Dunno how bards work, but possibly due to saving resources/cooldowns for the adds? I know I can drain my MP real fast if I just dump highest potency attacks on everything as a SCH/SMN.

Tanks can drag adds to the right spot and solo them while still in tank stance without pushing any cooldowns. This is actually a very favourable fight for Bards because you can DOT up both bosses for full effect.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Then yeah, 450 is bad.

I did a bunch of farm runs of a1-3 this morning with various people, anyone have the numbers from those? :v:

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Who Dat posted:

I'm level 34 and closing in on Titan. I'm guessing that's about 1/2 way through ARR MSQ? Curious though, since Heavensward's release, are sidequests critical for leveling or can I just do MSQs and get to 50 without much fuss? I'm still pretty new to the game overall. Still so much stuff to do.
:psypop:

Sometimes I really wish the game would guide you just a little. For instance, I'm almost 35 and unless I did a search for it, nothing would have pointed me towards Gold Saucer or its existence, OR that I could have accessed it 20 levels ago. I was thinking it was a level 50+ thing.

You might want to check out this handy little guide for everything optionally unlockable up to level 50.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Well the guy didn't complain about my numbers when I went just dps and let the bombs explode since no-one would do the mechanic, so :toot: My dps was undoubtedly low when i was running all the alarms due to not being in WM and saving c/d's for that phase. It's all good, just wanted to point out an encounter I had with someone completely over the top.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I left a few side-quests uncompleted, figuring I'd pick those up when lvling a second class.

I only had to do a little bit of grinding outside of the MSQ.

And I second the sentiment that blitzing 2.1 to 2.55 is exhausting.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Phlogistic posted:

You might want to check out this handy little guide for everything optionally unlockable up to level 50.

Take note that some of the things on that list aren't up to date (notably, ex roulette is now unlocked at level 60), although there shouldn't be that much, most ARR content remained unchanged

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eej posted:

Tanks can drag adds to the right spot and solo them while still in tank stance without pushing any cooldowns.

Yep. There's absolutely no reason not to drag them over as tank. You can both position them more easily and contribute your own DPS to killing them quickly.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Truga posted:

Then yeah, 450 is bad.

I did a bunch of farm runs of a1-3 this morning with various people, anyone have the numbers from those? :v:

Basically there's no excuse not to be pulling at least six hundred even in mechanic heavy content. If you're good and your gear isn't poo poo you'll do 900-1200 depending on your class

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Vermain posted:

Just because I haven't used ACT much: I'm assuming that EncDPS shifts a bit depending on how much damage is actually needed in a fight, right? Like: if you have a fight with a lot of adds that can be AoEd, EncDPS will go up versus a fight with just a single dude you beat up on.

EncDPS = DPS/Encounter time, DPS = DPS/Duration (the column in ACT that says Duration). They should usually be pretty close by. It doesn't shift depending on how much you AoE or anything any more than DPS does.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Merrill Grinch posted:

Well the guy didn't complain about my numbers when I went just dps and let the bombs explode since no-one would do the mechanic, so :toot: My dps was undoubtedly low when i was running all the alarms due to not being in WM and saving c/d's for that phase. It's all good, just wanted to point out an encounter I had with someone completely over the top.

I like your character's name.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

BattleCake posted:

Anyone on Cactuar that can give me an answer? :(

For all intents and purposes there is no Cactuar goon FC.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

450 DPS is low yes, but when you're literally the only person handling mechanics with 0 cooperation whatsoever, DPS is far from the primary concern. That's about in line with what I hit on WAR when I can't DPS because all I'm doing is handling mechanics because that's easier than trying to get people who get offended when you tell them to do what they're supposed to do (even nicely) to, well, do what they're supposed to do.

Adeptus
May 1, 2009
How often does Excalibur open up for character creation? I missed the post-downtime window earlier today, and otherwise haven't seen the server open at all since I started checking last weekend. I live in the UK and work from 7am to 4pm GMT, so it seems like if I check before work then the US east coast is filling the server, and if I check after work the west coast is awake. Am I likely to get on if I keep checking in the mornings?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You'll have to check somewhere around 11-13h local time.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
this game is far more fun when you dont parse and just push buttons as best you can and have fun. Not being easily parsable is my favorite thing about this game, and I can be as casual as I want and see the content.

Adeptus
May 1, 2009

Truga posted:

You'll have to check somewhere around 11-13h local time.

Argh, that's probably not gonna happen until next week then. Oh well, thanks for letting me know.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dubious posted:

this game is far more fun when you dont parse and just push buttons as best you can and have fun. Not being easily parsable is my favorite thing about this game, and I can be as casual as I want and see the content.

I like making fire.

It's pretty.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

There's definitely going to be another maintenance next Monday night/Tuesday morning, so you can also try around then.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dubious posted:

I agree, blm rotation is so good and easy to do! Its just use fire 1 intill oom, then all you gotta do is cast blizzard 1!

I'm trying my best, I AM THE BEST!

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Dubious posted:

Wiping 59 times on Bismarck ex is actually...very fun

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Dubious posted:

Well yeah, but that has more to do with the easy availability of run sellers, not the lack of parsers.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
I, too, love wiping on easy content because your DPS are doing less than a third of what they should be

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
yes I'm a little salty about this A1 run I just had where we wiped to enrage because the Bard did 327 dps and BLM did 356

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's try hard to want to clear content I play for fun

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

bonewitch posted:

yes I'm a little salty about this A1 run I just had where we wiped to enrage because the Bard did 327 dps and BLM did 356

I didn't know you could do Alexander at level 50.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dubious posted:

This is partly why I prefer to tank in MMOs (along with people being more willing to explain mechanics to you): you don't have to have any damage-meter e-peen contests with the rest of the raid. If you can answer "yes" to "is everyone hitting me in the face?" and "am I still alive despite that?", you're good to go!

and in case you can't, just blame the healer :v:

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
I was in an exdr group with some BLM who said he couldn't figure out the new rotation. The solution to this, of course, was to just revert to the 50 rotation.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

bonewitch posted:

A couple days ago I did A3 through PF as a paladin. I was second in DPS on every pull, and only slightly behind the top DPS. The other tank was wearing full VIT gear and insisted that it made him the better tank. He usually lost aggro at the start of every pull. He never used cooldowns, not even sheltron, and would usually die on hand phase even with me soaking damage with him. When he died the healers yelled at me for not having enough HP.

Pugging Alexander is pain.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Orabilis posted:

I didn't know you could do Alexander at level 50.

He seemed to think he was sync'd to 50 too

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Dubious posted:

I, too, enjoy being carried through content that I feel entitled to experience without having to put in an effort

:patriot:

• Locked thread