Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
God, I was wincing when his speech turned to San Diego (my hometown). We got off light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

xcore posted:

Yeah, it's clearly apparant that things are done a lot differently in the US. I don't think it's an accident that we pulled all of those events to our city though, we worked very hard to accomplish that.

Granted, your point about so few cities is probably the kicker, there are hundreds of cities in the US. This could be slightly offset by the fact that our country is in butt-gently caress no where.

If your aussie football team or whatever the gently caress you guys play said we're moving to a new city would they have an option of a place to go?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Veskit posted:

If your aussie football team or whatever the gently caress you guys play said we're moving to a new city would they have an option of a place to go?

gently caress with us, and we're moving to Broome!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Veskit posted:

Hey now they have like 3 actual cities!

I think one of them is only accessible by air though.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Edit: nevermind

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

xcore posted:

Yeah, it's clearly apparant that things are done a lot differently in the US. I don't think it's an accident that we pulled all of those events to our city though, we worked very hard to accomplish that.

Granted, your point about so few cities is probably the kicker, there are hundreds of cities in the US. This could be slightly offset by the fact that our country is in butt-gently caress no where.

It kinda seems like a Walmart-like situation in the US, where cities are willing to sign a deal that absolutely fucks them for a chance to get a lot of revenue as a result of being noticed by the big guys. Then, if it turns out that a poo poo deal is in fact a poo poo deal and they make little / no / negative money on it, they don't want to let it go, because what will happen to the city if this big presence that brings in tourism and provides jobs were to galt itself away? After all, there are limitless nowheresvilles they could relocate to that will gladly throw money at them, and things will be worse for us than they were before!

It doesn't really make sense to me, but the way it ends up is 1) rich people get richer and 2) gently caress you.

IRQ posted:

Does much time really need to be spent shaming the cursed denizens of Jackshitville? They all know the overwhelmingly crushing shame and despair of living there already, on top of living in Florida, which is already worse than anything but living in New Jersey.

Hey, you gotta give Arizona some credit, that's a pretty impressive shithole in its own right.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 14, 2015

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Whoopi Goldberg doesn't believe the loving moon landing was real.

And I guess it's because she never looked up really basic info like who worked the camera?
Yeah, that montage was kinda heartbreaking. She's always seemed like a national treasure for the US. :smith:

The overall episode kinda made me want to give Friday Night Lights another go, I know it's beloved, but like...urgh.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, that montage was kinda heartbreaking. She's always seemed like a national treasure for the US. :smith:

The overall episode kinda made me want to give Friday Night Lights another go, I know it's beloved, but like...urgh.

THIRTY

FOR

loving

THIRTY

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

It kinda seems like a Walmart-like situation in the US,

a chance to get a lot of revenue as a result of being noticed by the big guys.

this big presence that brings in tourism and provides jobs

there are limitless nowheresvilles they could relocate to that will gladly throw money at them, and things will be worse for us than they were before!

It doesn't really make sense to me,

You seem to perfectly capable of understanding how Wal-Mart brings jobs, traffic and economic development to communities. The only thing you can't seem to grasp is

raditts posted:

1) rich people get richer and 2) gently caress you.

because maybe that's not the case? Maybe economic development, jobs and increased traffic to a community is a good thing, and the only thing communities lose is a little tax revenue on the front end in exchange for a whole lot of local benefit and community enrichment on the back end.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Veskit posted:

THIRTY

FOR

loving

THIRTY

June 17, 1994. Survive and Advance. The U & The U Part II. Broke. SURVIVE AND loving ADVANCE. Big Shot. You Don't Know Bo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

You seem to perfectly capable of understanding how Wal-Mart brings jobs, traffic and economic development to communities. The only thing you can't seem to grasp is

because maybe that's not the case? Maybe economic development, jobs and increased traffic to a community is a good thing, and the only thing communities lose is a little tax revenue on the front end in exchange for a whole lot of local benefit and community enrichment on the back end.

Not when Walmart moves out and leave a giant, empty shell of a building that is useless to everyone else because the location is no longer economically viable to them and they've destroyed every other business in the area.
Which it just so happens is also the case when sports teams peace out and leave the stadium they leeched millions to buy that nobody else has any use for.
Case in point: http://www.viralforest.com/abandoned-pontiac-silverdome-detroit/

I know this could very well be you being you but I figured I'd give a legitimate response since you just left it out there like that.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

June 17, 1994. Survive and Advance. The U & The U Part II. Broke. SURVIVE AND loving ADVANCE. Big Shot. You Don't Know Bo.

OF MIRACLES FOR MEN

BAD BOYS

THAT lovely ONE WITH MARTINA NARVATOLOVA

loving THE TWO ESCOBARS TWO ESCOBARS TWO MOTHERFUCKING ESCOBARS COME ON

Also that really sad one where all the soccer fans died :smith:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

WHICH ONE OF YOU MONSTERS DOESN"T WANT TO SHED A TEAR WHEN KURT RUSSEL DOES HERB BROOKS SPEECH COME THE gently caress ON COME ON

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

thirty for thirty....*tents fingers*....owns

but FNL owns harder and if you don't "get" why sports are important or positive influences on their communities in their purest sense after watching it, well

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

but FNL owns harder and if you don't "get" why sports are important or positive influences on their communities in their purest sense after watching it, well

Counterpoint: The city of Philadelphia

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

I couldn't get past season 2 it got too loving much about pregnancies and bad high school romance but that first loving season man.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Toxxupation posted:

You could also read the book and see how they can be a harmful influence.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Veskit posted:

I couldn't get past season 2 it got too loving much about pregnancies and bad high school romance but that first loving season man.

season 2 is generally regarded as both the worst season of the show and one of the worst examples of "Terrible season of a fantastic show"

personally speaking i find it better than 1 because 1 had the godawfu love triangle which just dominated everything and never knew how to write street

but yeah watch FNL dudes, it...owns

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

UNDEFEATED

DOCUMENTARY

WON BEST DOCUMENTARY FROM THE ACADEMY

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1860355/

:perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect:

Toxxupation posted:

season 2 is generally regarded as both the worst season of the show and one of the worst examples of "Terrible season of a fantastic show"

personally speaking i find it better than 1 because 1 had the godawfu love triangle which just dominated everything and never knew how to write street

but yeah watch FNL dudes, it...owns

Can I just skip season 2?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

raditts posted:

Counterpoint: The city of Philadelphia

that's not fair since philly fans are the worst assholes of anything and i say that as a steelers fan

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Pony Excess was the best 30 for 30. At least the most interesting.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Toxxupation posted:

that's not fair since philly fans are the worst assholes of anything and i say that as a steelers fan

The City of Brotherly Love, in the sense of how brothers beat each other up, steal each other's stuff, and drink each other's booze.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

WHAT WAS THE SUPER COMPELLING ONE ABOUT THE TWO RUSSIANS WHO GO PLAY AMERICAN BASKETBALL AND THAT ONE DUDE GETS TO loving PLAY WITH KOBE AND SHAQ

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Guys what I'm saying is that if sports documentaries that are phenomenal can't move your heart then you have no loving soul.

CLEAR EYES

FULL HEARTS

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Veskit posted:

CLEAR EYES

FULL HEARTS

Might lose? :ohdear:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Veskit posted:

WHAT WAS THE SUPER COMPELLING ONE ABOUT THE TWO RUSSIANS WHO GO PLAY AMERICAN BASKETBALL AND THAT ONE DUDE GETS TO loving PLAY WITH KOBE AND SHAQ

This is already boring me.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Veskit posted:

ZzzZzzZzZzzz.... phffhtwhat, did you say something Veskit? I suddenly felt overwhelmingly sleepy there for some reason.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

https://vimeo.com/36827025

BLOW YOUR loving MINDS WITH SPORTS.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Actually, I get kind of the opposite lesson from Friday Night Lights; despite the efforts of a good man, sports are a poisonous thing that damages the community and undermines everything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Veskit posted:

Guys what I'm saying is that if sports documentaries that are phenomenal can't move your heart then you have no loving soul.

Then I have no soul.

I can totally get getting wrapped up in a team sport. I was a high school and college athlete. There were also a few other team actives outside of sports that I was involved with as well. So, I did the whole emotional roller coaster of striving for a goal, winning and losing, catching bad and lucky breaks, and working together and everything.

I can also understand getting emotionally involved in a narrative.

That said, spectating professional sports does jack loving poo poo for me. Completely and totally nothing. I give less than two shits about what some billionaire owner does with his team of athletic supermen. I cannot get invested in that on an emotional level. At all. It just doesn't work for me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CAN I INTEREST YOU IN A SERIES OF SPORTS DOCUMENTARIES THAT ARE ENGINEERED TO BE AS EMOTIONAL AS IS POSSIBLE

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Veskit posted:

https://vimeo.com/36827025

BLOW YOUR loving MINDS WITH SPORTS.

*ISIS video*

blow your mind with radicalized islam Veskit!

See, because I think you're absolutely not interested in that in any way, so obviously GET INTO IT MAN ALL CAPS

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I liked this thread better before the sports-apologos ran up in here, when we were just blabbering about ways to classify people's diddling prefs.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

What the gently caress is up with the idiot all-caps posting up in here

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Back in 2001, Keith Law a former front office guy and pretty well known baseball writer wrote a great column on how funding sports stadiums with public dollars is a terrible deal for cities and municipalities.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=975

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
It's weird watching from outside the US because the response to a team saying 'build us a stadium or we'll move' would be utter laughter.

Spurs are building a stadium in the middle of London and have to finance, develop, commit arson, and build it themselves. Which is why the London franchise of the NFL will probably play there as well.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Looks like Whoopi is backpedaling on her Cosby defense.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

Looks like Whoopi is backpedaling on her Cosby defense.

Kinda hard to maintain it after that deposition came out.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Our long national nightmare is finally over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What is going on in this thread? :psyduck:

• Locked thread